Melbourne- no chance for the flag at all

Remove this Banner Ad

saintsrule said:
Yze ... great against weaker opposition, but useless today as he was against the saints!

cough *stephen milne* cough

Yet another Melbourne thread started by a Collingwood supporter. Still hurting over last Monday?
Seems some supporters of other Victorian teams are jealous and seem to all say 'Melbourne is weak under pressure. Melbourne are soft. Melbourne have nothing without Neitz'. It's only one loss, I'd prefer to slump now than the end of the year, we're still the best Victorian team and unless Geelong wins tomorrow we will stay in second. Merely beaten by the better team.

toina said:
I don't know what to say because I couldn't possibly comment after that sophisticated and classy response.
Bad luck for today...not.
I can't wait for september when you get knocked out in straight sets. Melbourne have shown they cant withstand finals like pressure.
don't say anything...clean my shoes...

RedLegs#5 said:
don't say anything...clean my shoes...
Is that the best you've got. If it is, you should stick to the snow.

scmods said:
Don't worry, it's just BigFooty logic. Just wait a few days, then you'll see people saying West Coast can't make the GF because they can't beat good teams at the MCG. They can only beat teams like Melbourne, and everyone knows they are pretenders. :rolleyes:
Oh yeah of course. Sh1t, we lost to the top team. Start writing us off! We dont have a friggin prayer!

toina said:
They are pretenders because they can't win big games against quality opposition and they have no depth.
Oh dear. See, as I'm writing this, I'm asking myself 'why the fu%k am I answering to such a dumba$$? No depth? Please.
Actually, just on depth, seems that the Pies have been able to cover the losses of Buckley and Rocca quite well haven't they?
toina said:

toina said:
St Kila this year- spanked
West Coast this year- beaten convincgly- lucky to get so close
Final last year- lost to a mediocre Essendon team.
Fine, we lost to st.kilda who was the better side. As for WC, why were we lucky to get close? Did you watch the game? We were unlucky not to be closer. I know everyone's saying it, but it's a legitimate excuse, give us our Captain and FF and a proper break and you'd find that things would've looked brighter today.
toina said:
And to the bit about Collingwood- if you use the argument for captain and full forward being out, well Buckley and Rocca, our best and most important players, didn't play.
What about the bit about beating Collingwood in a big game? Seems we did OK there, but then again, saying that Collingwood were a chance to make the 8 was pretty bl00dy generous eh?
toina said:
Until Melbourne beat a decent team, they are pretenders. And i know the Geelong game will come up, but they were coming back from Perth and in a bad patch.
Well, the Geelong game is coming up now. We won by what? 48 points was it?
What does "in a bad patch" actually mean? If that was Melbourne having a "bad patch", you'd be saying we were pretenders. Time to admit your bias and quit being a very ordinary troll.

I think there a good side but there midfield and forwards are a little overrated. Holland is a good third tall but with Neitz out, he just isnt good enough to take the game by the scruff of the neck and kick 5 or 6.

Robertson is very good and we always have trouble against him but Yze was far too easy to take out of the game, he was woeful. There midfield is good but it's not near WC's yet.

Neitz is super important to them because Yze and Robertson can feed off him as the main target and Holland isnt required to kick a bag of goals. But I do think they are a little overrated. Still a very good side though and we may yet meet them in the granny.

Well done to the eagles much deserve win as for melb of course they can still make the GF. The Eagles we out a doubt are the best side in the comp after that there are a few sides on the same level. As for people saying they cant win big games well that a load of **** cant a side lose these days to a better side. Its not like melb havent won big games or finals before.

davey_magik said:
cough *stephen milne* cough

Yet another Melbourne thread started by a Collingwood supporter. Still hurting over last Monday?
Seems some supporters of other Victorian teams are jealous and seem to all say 'Melbourne is weak under pressure. Melbourne are soft. Melbourne have nothing without Neitz'. It's only one loss, I'd prefer to slump now than the end of the year, we're still the best Victorian team and unless Geelong wins tomorrow we will stay in second. Merely beaten by the better team.

Yep! Beaten by the better team as you were in round 4! You were top of the ladder end of round 18 /19 ? last year. A week is a long time in football and 10 weeks is impossible to fathom!

demon21 said:
Well done to the eagles much deserve win as for melb of course they can still make the GF. The Eagles we out a doubt are the best side in the comp after that there are a few sides on the same level. As for people saying they cant win big games well that a load of **** cant a side lose these days to a better side. Its not like melb havent won big games or finals before.
But it's just so much easier to be a d1ckhead.

Not taking anything away from the Eagles but Melbourne seemed to have one of those down games today, as Daniher said they can play better than that.

Considering it was only 15 points in the end, I would not be writing off the Demons by any stretch.

jod23 said:
I think there a good side but there midfield and forwards are a little overrated. Holland is a good third tall but with Neitz out, he just isnt good enough to take the game by the scruff of the neck and kick 5 or 6.

Robertson is very good and we always have trouble against him but Yze was far too easy to take out of the game, he was woeful. There midfield is good but it's not near WC's yet.

Neitz is super important to them because Yze and Robertson can feed off him as the main target and Holland isnt required to kick a bag of goals. But I do think they are a little overrated. Still a very good side though and we may yet meet them in the granny.
fair comment, West Coast were easily the better team but Melbourne showed enough to suggest they may be a handful if the two teams met again in september. It was a fantastic game i thought, best of the season for me personally even though we lost

saintsrule said:
Just out of interest, what was the 8 at this time last year and what was it end of R22? Might create some perspective!

After Round 13 2004:

1. St Kilda 44
2. Melbourne 40
3. Brisbane 36
4. Port Adelaide 36
5. Geelong 32
6. Essendon 32
7. Fremantle 28
8. Sydney 28
9. Kangaroos 24
10. Carlton 24
11. West Coast 20
12. Adelaide 16
13. Bulldogs 16
14. Collingwood 16
15. Richmond 16
16. Hawthorn 8

After Round 22 2004:

1. Port Adelaide 68 (+3)
2. Brisbane 64 (+1)
3. St Kilda 64 (-2)
4. Geelong 60 (+1)
5. Melbourne 56 (-3)
6. Sydney 52 (+2)
7. West Coast 52 (+4)
8. Essendon 48 (-2)
9. Fremantle 40 (-2)
10. Kangaroos 40 (-1)
11. Carlton 40 (-1)
12. Adelaide 32 (=)
13. Collingwood 32 (+1)
14. Bulldogs 20 (-1)
15. Hawthorn 16 (+1)
16. Richmond 16 (-1)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What rot.
Melbourne will be right there at the end. There is no doubt about it.
Good win by the Eagles, but won't mean anything in September.
As a Roos fan, I recall being thrashed by Sydney in 1996, but on GF day we were far too good.
In 1998, we spanked Adelaide a few weeks before the finals, and lost the GF to the Crows.
People are reading too much into one game.

Marns said:
Oh yeah of course. Sh1t, we lost to the top team. Start writing us off! We dont have a friggin prayer!

Oh dear. See, as I'm writing this, I'm asking myself 'why the fu%k am I answering to such a dumba$$? No depth? Please.
Actually, just on depth, seems that the Pies have been able to cover the losses of Buckley and Rocca quite well haven't they?

Fine, we lost to st.kilda who was the better side. As for WC, why were we lucky to get close? Did you watch the game? We were unlucky not to be closer. I know everyone's saying it, but it's a legitimate excuse, give us our Captain and FF and a proper break and you'd find that things would've looked brighter today.

What about the bit about beating Collingwood in a big game? Seems we did OK there, but then again, saying that Collingwood were a chance to make the 8 was pretty bl00dy generous eh?

Well, the Geelong game is coming up now. We won by what? 48 points was it?
What does "in a bad patch" actually mean? If that was Melbourne having a "bad patch", you'd be saying we were pretenders. Time to admit your bias and quit being a very ordinary troll.
You contradict yourself by saying collingwood is a big game and then saying we're no good. Which one is it? I don't think we're much good, and i certainly wouldn't classify it as a big game. Anyway, this isn't about Collingwood. It's about Melbourne and not being able to win a pressure game. They have too many softco*ks in the likes of Yze, Greene and Davey who will not play well under finals pressure.
And every team has injuries. You have won- Neitz. WOW. He's done nothing all year anyway and would not have affected the result.
Your argument is based around Collingwood which is not on the subject.
Mark my words- Melbourne out in straight sets in the finals- no matter where u finish.

This "can't beat the top teams" argument is a farce. Who's a top team this year? West Coast and then daylight. I'm happy to cop it that we got done today, that the Eagles are deserved favourites to win the whole thing and we're still not yet Premiership material but don't tell me we're not at least in the top three or four this year.

I'm not surprised that there's a huge anti-MFC faction on these boards, given the amount of rampant BS people post when we win games but let's at least be reasonable in our analysis shall we?

BomberAUS said:
After Round 13 2004:

1. St Kilda 44
2. Melbourne 40
3. Brisbane 36
4. Port Adelaide 36
5. Geelong 32
6. Essendon 32
7. Fremantle 28
8. Sydney 28
9. Kangaroos 24
10. Carlton 24
11. West Coast 20
12. Adelaide 16
13. Bulldogs 16
14. Collingwood 16
15. Richmond 16
16. Hawthorn 8

After Round 22 2004:

1. Port Adelaide 68 (+3)
2. Brisbane 64 (+1)
3. St Kilda 64 (-2)
4. Geelong 60 (+1)
5. Melbourne 56 (-3)
6. Sydney 52 (+2)
7. West Coast 52 (+4)
8. Essendon 48 (-2)
9. Fremantle 40 (-2)
10. Kangaroos 40 (-1)
11. Carlton 40 (-1)
12. Adelaide 32 (=)
13. Collingwood 32 (+1)
14. Bulldogs 20 (-1)
15. Hawthorn 16 (+1)
16. Richmond 16 (-1)

Thanks Bomber Aus. So Melb were not top 4 and the eventual grand finalists were

Thanks Bomber Aus. So the eventual grand finalists were 3 - 4 at round 13 and from memory Melb were 6 after round 22. ....Perspective!

Orginally posted by toina
You contradict yourself by saying collingwood is a big game and then saying we're no good. Which one is it? I don't think we're much good, and i certainly wouldn't classify it as a big game. Anyway, this isn't about Collingwood. It's about Melbourne and not being able to win a pressure game. They have too many softco*ks in the likes of Yze, Greene and Davey who will not play well under finals pressure.
And every team has injuries. You have won- Neitz. WOW. He's done nothing all year anyway and would not have affected the result.
Mark my words- Melbourne out in straight sets in the finals- no matter where u finish.

Yze and Green are softco*ks are they and they will not play well under finals pressure Yze was probarly BOG in last years final against Ess and Back in 2000 Green was outstanding aganist Carlton so they have played well in finals before. I suppose u as being a Collingwood supporter would no a lot about losing Finals.

toina said:
You contradict yourself by saying collingwood is a big game and then saying we're no good. Which one is it? I don't think we're much good, and i certainly wouldn't classify it as a big game.
Queens Birthday is always a big game

toina said:
Anyway, this isn't about Collingwood.
You mentioned Collingwood first

toina said:
It's about Melbourne and not being able to win a pressure game.
I would classify round 1 against Essendon and the game against your mob pressure games. The essendon game had a massive build up to it because of Broady etc. QB, like ive already said is always big. Geelong was a big game wasn't it?

toina said:
They have too many softco*ks in the likes of Yze, Greene and Davey who will not play well under finals pressure.
Learn to spell their names before you pretend to know anything about our team. Sure we have recievers, all teams do (your team is captained by one). But we also have our fair share of hard nuts, for example: Neitz, Miller, Sylvia, McLean, Rivers, Brown. (not all necessarily 'tough' but good examples of blokes who wont shy away from contests and are not "softco*ks").

toina said:
And every team has injuries. You have won - Neitz. WOW. He's done nothing all year anyway and would not have affected the result.
See, there is your stupidity. By saying things like that just proves to everyone here that you are a fool. Neitz is our captain and a very important target up forward. 26 goals isnt exactly "nothing".

toina said:
No its not, its based around making an idiot out of you.

toina said:
:rolleyes: Did you think of that yourself, or can you still taste the sour grapes from Monday arvo?

Supermercado said:
This "can't beat the top teams" argument is a farce. Who's a top team this year? West Coast and then daylight. I'm happy to cop it that we got done today, that the Eagles are deserved favourites to win the whole thing and we're still not yet Premiership material but don't tell me we're not at least in the top three or four this year.

I'm not surprised that there's a huge anti-MFC faction on these boards, given the amount of rampant BS people post when we win games but let's at least be reasonable in our analysis shall we?
That's not right, that would make...that would make, sense!

Marns said:
Queens Birthday is always a big game

You mentioned Collingwood first

I would classify round 1 against Essendon and the game against your mob pressure games. The essendon game had a massive build up to it because of Broady etc. QB, like ive already said is always big. Geelong was a big game wasn't it?

Learn to spell their names before you pretend to know anything about our team. Sure we have recievers, all teams do (your team is captained by one). But we also have our fair share of hard nuts, for example: Neitz, Miller, Sylvia, McLean, Rivers, Brown. (not all necessarily 'tough' but good examples of blokes who wont shy away from contests and are not "softco*ks").

See, there is your stupidity. By saying things like that just proves to everyone here that you are a fool. Neitz is our captain and a very important target up forward. 26 goals isnt exactly "nothing".

No its not, its based around making an idiot out of you.

:rolleyes: Did you think of that yourself, or can you still taste the sour grapes from Monday arvo?
No 1. Those names were spelt correctly.
No 2. You brought up collingwood first in an earlier post, i only replied to the comments you made about us.
No 3. Many experts agreed that the loss of Neitz would not necessarily mean much, so according to you, they should all lose their jobs.
No 4. If you call hard running past the ball to hit someone while their head is over the ball, then Miller is a hard play for sure.
No 5. You haven't seen much of Nathan Buckley if you call him a receiver.
No 6. Games against Collingwood and Essendon at this current time are definitely NOT big games.
No 7. Melbourne supporters should stick to the snow.

toina said:
No 2. You brought up collingwood first in an earlier post, i only replied to the comments you made about us.
No 3. Many experts agreed that the loss of Neitz would not necessarily mean much, so according to you, they should all lose their jobs.
No 4. If you call hard running past the ball to hit someone while their head is over the ball, then Miller is a hard play for sure.
No 6. Games against Collingwood and Essendon at this current time are definitely NOT big games.
Anyone else want to take over? It seems whatever I say isnt getting through to the peanut in his head.

scottywiper said:
What rot.
Melbourne will be right there at the end. There is no doubt about it.
Good win by the Eagles, but won't mean anything in September.
As a Roos fan, I recall being thrashed by Sydney in 1996, but on GF day we were far too good.
In 1998, we spanked Adelaide a few weeks before the finals, and lost the GF to the Crows.
People are reading too much into one game.

That was only because we kicked like crap with that 200 goal wind in the GF, Crows kicked well when they had it. When the elements are a huge influence it doesn't take much to win or lose a game. They deserved the win because they played the conditions better and the lesson is the best team doesn't always win because all you need is one bad game in the year, if its during the GF then nobody is going to remember you for coming second.

Any team that makes the eight is a chance if things go their way. A bit of luck in September goes a long way.

toina said:

Get Over Monday you damn collingwood supporter!

No.3 Everytime I heard news about the game during the week they mentioned Neitz's name its seemed.

What about the Geelong game? aren't they contenders? we smashed them!

And please, everyone stop mentioning St.Kilda, They beat us at the dome, the only place they can win at and the only ground they will ever beat melbourne at. They will get smashed the second time around they face us at the MCG, just like they did last year.

St.Kilda are no good! they beat bloody Hawthorn last week and everyone's talking them up again! lets start seeing them beat quality opposistions at the G before talking them up again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back