Memories of the Western/Whitten oval

Remove this Banner Ad

1. My first game. It was in the 70s against hawthorn. I stood behind the goals on the hill and we lost.
2. Rod Grinter breaking Terry Wallace's jaw. We need to win tot make the finals I think but we lost.
3. Hawkins record breaking game v cats.
4. Scott west kicks 6 from a forward pocket
5. Holding Carlton to one goal for the game. I think they had kicked 14 points straight.
6. Final game v West Coast. Nothing was going to beat us that day, not even the horizontal rain.
7. See Ricky Kennedy walk around the boundary with a huge apple-sized lump on his thy. It was like one of his muscles had popped out.

Simon Beasly taking a mark with a few seconds to go after Gubby Allen kicked across goal for the pies from full back.

Beasly took the Grab went back and slotted it through after the siren!! Happened at the geelong road end!

Also, collecting cans at half time and filling them with rocks so they weighed more :)

Because I was young and don't have any Bulldogs family, I only got to see four matches at the Whitten Oval (for a 2-2 record, FWIW).

My strongest memory is of August 23, 1997. My sister was born around 6am that morning but that didn't stop me from going to the game and seeing the Dogs win whilst copping an absolute drenching. I then went home and had a hot shower before going to the hozzy to see my youngest sibling for the very first time :)

Needless to say, t'was a very memorable day!

As a Dogs supporter from 2001 and also being the only one in my family I haven't been to a match before at the Whitten Oval which is a big shame. From what people have said Im sure the atmosphere was great back in the day and would love to one day go down there and check it out. Im aware that the new Bulldogs museum has opened there.

May 1971 Footscray (coach E.J Whitten) d. Hawthorn by a six points - Quinlan 6, Bisset 4

On a bright sunny day we inflicted one of only three defeats the Hawks would have that year

Centreman David Thorpe had a mass of kicks but put many into the crowd

Alan Mannix & Stuart Magee were good (two names that often go unheralded)

I remember a game in 1985 (can't remember who we played) I was standing on the outer wing with dad and Choco Royal burst out of the centre towards a half forward flank, he kicks at goal and we are right behind the line of the ball. I remember the crowd all going silent as we watched the ball up in the air heading straight towards the right goal post... Choco was leaning to the left almost willing the ball to come back, so was everyone in the crowd. the ball moved left and snuck in for a goal and we all went beserk including Choco who was in a Doug Hawkins headlock.

I also remember reading one of Chopper Read's books where he said he was getting pissed at the Western Oval one day watching the Dogs play the Swans and he was seriously considering pulling out his gun and shooting Wawrick Capper. That would have been memorable!

2. Rod Grinter breaking Terry Wallace's jaw. We need to win tot make the finals I think but we lost.

Different games.

Rd 22 1987 we lost to Melbourne to miss finals (and they then went on with it and only missed the GF due to Stynes' error).

Rd 2 1988 Grinter broke Wallace's jaw. I remember hearing the "crack" from the terrace under the Whitten Stand. Poor bastard has never spoken the same since.

1. I was the first to reach Dougie in the middle and pat him on the back after the 1994 game when he broke the club games record.
2. Keeping Carlton goalless for most of the game during 1991.
3. Standing on a little blue stool in the outer during the 1980s with my parents and my sister.

I remember a game in 1985 (can't remember who we played) I was standing on the outer wing with dad and Choco Royal burst out of the centre towards a half forward flank, he kicks at goal and we are right behind the line of the ball. I remember the crowd all going silent as we watched the ball up in the air heading straight towards the right goal post... Choco was leaning to the left almost willing the ball to come back, so was everyone in the crowd. the ball moved left and snuck in for a goal and we all went beserk including Choco who was in a Doug Hawkins headlock.

I also remember reading one of Chopper Read's books where he said he was getting pissed at the Western Oval one day watching the Dogs play the Swans and he was seriously considering pulling out his gun and shooting Wawrick Capper. That would have been memorable!

Yeah I think that Chocco goal was against Essendon. Massive crowd there that day, Essendon went onto to win the flag and it was one their few defeats that year. We played the Hawks in the prelim and many believed we could have beaten Essendon again as we had it over them. But I remember that day.

Some of the memorable performances

78 - Templeton's 15 against the Saints
84 - Beasley's mark & goal against Collingwood to win the game. That game also saw mark of the year by Banks
85 - Beasley's 12 against Melbourne (Dogs won the game by 20 goals)
85 - Defeating Essendon in 85 (a favourite of many)
89 - Georgardis kicks 8 against Carlton in his debut
90 - C.Grants debut, lets not forget his brother who also played a few games.
92 - The nose (Del-Re) and Chocco kick 13 between them in a rout over the Demons
94 - Hawkins breaks EJ's game record

Other noteable memories.

-Used to stand near the Geelong road end entrance up the side fence where you walked in from Cross st. (Near where the Police Horses were stabled during the game)
-Saw a few tantrums from Mark Jackson
- Hyde st band

I think Georgardis kicked those goals round 1 at Princess Park. I remember the day because I remember looking at the forward line walking towards their positions at the start of the game and I commented that we had a very formidable forward line.....not! But he went on to kick 8 it was amazing.

Glen Coleman snapping the point post.
Allen (Collingwood) passing to Beasly who won the game for us
Royce Hart's first game as coach - sky divers parachuted onto the oval
Dougie dominating the wing
Shane Loveless - could have been a player

Yeah I remember Shane Loveless. Big solid lump of a lad, genuine FF type in the day. Was a pretty good kick and I remember him using his bulk to take a one handed mark at the Whitten Oval, I think against Norf.

I saw many games there. Many of my memories are the very same that have been mentioned here already. I remember going to the game at the Whitten Oval by tram and then train. When I could I would get there to see the under 19's and the reserves. So I would be there from about 9am to 5pm and I would get home in the dark.

Do you remember the days when we used to reminisce?

3 games stand our for me.

1990 : Watching a skinny FF in a 29 jumper kick goals on debut and knowing I had my new favourite player.

1993 : Watched a young Scott West kick 6 against Essendon

1997 : Last game against West Coast, the back six all went and pushed and shoved a young Micheal Gardiner.

Other memories, standing in the outer in cold, wind and rain, a frozen hand holding a cold VB tinnie. The sound of a one sided crowd giving it to the opposition. Lived no where near the Whitten Oval as a kid but would go to every game.

Also the 1989 fightback day, have a BF blog on that one. Shame I don't still have a Up Yours Oakley bumper sticker
I still have the receipt for $100 that we were asked to donate on the day to the Footscray Fightback. A desperate but uplifting day!
As a 15 year old, played in 2 Grand Finals at WO for Parkside, the first was a draw and the second a loss. God damn that WO was long, depending on wind and conditions, the ball could stay up one end for 10 - 15 minutes and take ages to get down to the other end. The players up the other end looked like ants.
Probably the most amazing day was when Templeton tore StKilda apart. I thought God had descended and was playing at CHF for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still have the receipt for $100 that we were asked to donate on the day to the Footscray Fightback. A desperate but uplifting day!

I was only 12 and remember it quite clearly.

Collecting the small 'boon spa' soft drink empties and getting the refunds from the stall located on the ramp beside the "Cowshed" behind the Barkly St goals. The Boon Spa factory was just down from the ground in Geelong Road for many years.
Dogs beating Pies in 67. Don Mckenzie kicked 7 goals from 11 kicks, howling northerly wind IIRC, all 14 dogs goals kicked to one end.
Home ground advantage in wet or wind was always a factor in upsets.
Ron Barassi disagreeing with an umpiring decision, turning around and kicking the ball out of the ground into Cross St. Never knew he could kick that far!
EJ getting on to a torp in the wet from the boundary line near the race and watching it sail through the goals. Incredible goal(think it won the game for us) and given they didn't change the ball during the game back then.
John Schultz and then Gary Dempsey taking relieving marks in the backline game after game.
Ian Bryant dropkicking out of the centre to the forward line. David Darcy dropkicking out from fullback.
Ted jnr feeding forwards so many opportunities.
Thinking Shane Loveless was going to be an out and out star forward for us.
Seeing so many first gamers and just knowing they had something special: KT,Hawk, Granty, Westy, Johnno, Quinlan, Roundy, Brian Wilson
Hearing the chant go up from the grandstand when we were in with a chance.

I never got to go to a game there (I was 3 years old in '97), but my favourite memories since are playing a game on the WO (It is massive and the wind is such a pain.) and attending the first VFL game there this year (I had watched Year Of The Dogs that morning, and approaching the ground I heard the Hyde St band play that infamous melody from the start... Me and my old man burst out laughing.)

Only layed on the ground once in an under 14 or 16 age comp match. The ground went on forever and had a sizable drop particularly towards the Geelong Road end. I was changing ruck into forward pocket and it near killed me by the end of the game.

Not specific games but memories:

- I'd stand behind the goals with my brothers, while Dad stood at the windsock
- chewing off the ends of my scarf when I got nervous
- looking for skinks in the rocks behind the toilets
- Steve Wallis running laps before the game by himself and being really nice
- the smell of the dunnies :eek:

I loved it there :)

1.first game ever saw Daicos kicking a goal to break my heart
2.A guy called Brad hardie domination and changing the game from a back pocket
3.Gary Ablett first game a the oval amazing 4 Marks all would have won Mark of the year no cameras
4.I have Abletts footy 100 goal smothered it of a boot and kicked it into the tennis courts where my Knephew was waiting I was playing North under 19s at that stage.. Pagan would have killed me lol
5.Doug the King Hawkins every week just never got beaten my hero still to this day the best footballer p[ond for pound I saw
6.Chris Grants first game again same end Tennis Court end WOW
7.Wallace grinter far out was nasty
8.Ben Grahams 140 Meter kick fore real

In a rare city visit helping my Collingwood supporting 1st Cousin

I ended up at the Sunshine Heights Pub fully p1ssed watching "Kevin Bloody Wilson"

During the event ( Late 80's ) I ended up at the urinal with Choc and Fos ( Peter Foster ) .... This was obviously during the Malthouse era

Both players thought ( rightfully ) after drunken questioning by me that the Dogs could win a Premiership ...

Was there in 75 and saw the Sachse incident

1979 42 points down against the bombers come back and draw

Beasley 12 goals against the cats 1982

1984 Gubby Allen passes to Beasley

1985 v Essendon and v Hawthorn

1987 v Hawthorn after 3 thrashing s

1989 the fight back

1990 first home game after merger

1997 final game

2014 Footscray qualifying final

1.first game ever saw Daicos kicking a goal to break my heart
2.A guy called Brad hardie domination and changing the game from a back pocket
3.Gary Ablett first game a the oval amazing 4 Marks all would have won Mark of the year no cameras
4.I have Abletts footy 100 goal smothered it of a boot and kicked it into the tennis courts where my Knephew was waiting I was playing North under 19s at that stage.. Pagan would have killed me lol
5.Doug the King Hawkins every week just never got beaten my hero still to this day the best footballer p[ond for pound I saw
6.Chris Grants first game again same end Tennis Court end WOW
7.Wallace grinter far out was nasty
8.Ben Grahams 140 Meter kick fore real

Yeah , Hawk was an out and out gun , and as you say never beaten.
Another one pound for pound had to be wee Georgie.very underrated footballer. Hate to think how many games he won for us at the WO during his time.

2 stand out in my mind

Going to watch fitzroy games near the end with my dad, when we were really bad, which was made me really sad. But when the Roys started falling a ways behind i would sing the club song to myself in the hope we'd kick a goal. If we did i thought i was magic and my words inspired them, if they didnt I'd try harder and put more effort in, thinking i hadnt tried hard enough the first time.

Second at a Dogs game behind the goals, pouring rain, i refused to come under shelter like the other sane people in the area and stood in torrential rain for the entire game, i was fascinated by the struggle in the wet.

Would have been around 7-10 years old for both.

Never saw the dogs win for 7 years ,averaged 6--8 games a year because of work. Can't remember the year, it was the years when chan2 replayed the dud games in 70's We played Melb who were playing in the finals, we were shocking .We were playing above ourselves and in front. It was freezing so I got a few kids to collect the beer cartons for 2 bob. I couldn't believe it the word got around to all the kids and hell I had about 30-40 kids giving me carboard boxes so I just chucked a handful of coins and let them fight it out and moved away quietly. I used to stand behind the Geelong rd end with a group I only knew from the footy but we stood to-gether for years. Then the rain hit we got a 44 gallon drum alight and with all my carboard we had a roaring fire .Never going to leave when I was going to see a win By the end of the game we were the only ones not under shelter. Watched the replay and we made it as supporter heroes. WE even had the coppers warming their arse. Golden olden moments you'll never see

Different games.

Rd 22 1987 we lost to Melbourne to miss finals (and they then went on with it and only missed the GF due to Stynes' error).

Rd 2 1988 Grinter broke Wallace's jaw. I remember hearing the "crack" from the terrace under the Whitten Stand. Poor bastard has never spoken the same since.

Got a free paid against him for holding the ball while unconcious too, which Grinter happily took!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back