Michael Clarke vs the World

Remove this Banner Ad

Steve Smith has shown very little as a Captain so far. He still has a lot of learning to do. WHy would Clarke bother coming back to just be a batsmen? He deserves a bit more respect than to be treated like that IMO.

Steve Smith has shown very little as a Captain so far. He still has a lot of learning to do. WHy would Clarke bother coming back to just be a batsmen? He deserves a bit more respect than to be treated like that IMO.
You try captaining on those roads.

You try captaining on those roads.

If the pitches are so flat it wouldn't have hurt to try something different. Any other excuses?? Smith will make a decent captain but he seems very much a Punter type of Captain to me.

I would like to Smith to serve an apprenticeship under Clarke, no doubt he could learn a lot from Clarke, if nothing else then from a tactical point of view.

If they really want to make a move, then do it after the Ashes then tell Clarke up front that he captains until after the Ashes with Smith as his VC and after that the team will be transitioning to Smith with Clarke more than welcome to keep playing as a batsman from that point should he choose (obviously if form continues to support his selection).

If the pitches are so flat it wouldn't have hurt to try something different. Any other excuses?? Smith will make a decent captain but he seems very much a Punter type of Captain to me.
Try what, exactly?

He's said he was going for the draw in Melbourne. And would you have wanted to set India less than 350 in more than a day in Sydney?

Try what, exactly?

He's said he was going for the draw in Melbourne. And would you have wanted to set India less than 350 in more than a day in Sydney?
Captaining for the draw was the easy way out. I'm not saying it wasn't the right thing to do, but it was the easy way out.

Watson isn't captain so different standards. Warner is an epic knob but again he isn't captain.
I've still never evidence of Clarke doing anything as stupid as what Warner did when he demanded Rahane 'speak English' when he was chatting with his partner. To defend it was even more laughable.

Remove Clarke (and Haddin) from this side, and Warner is probably vice captain and ready to step in should Smith return to his form of 12> months ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I think that Clarke is a better captain than Smith at the moment, and one of our best 6 batsmen at the moment I do agree with western royboy that he may not be the best thing for the team.
There has been lots of talk about the big incidents with Symonds, Katich etc, but it's also the little things. Below is an example of what I'm talking about from the 2nd test over in the UAE. I don't have a complaint with the message Clarke gave to Smith, but the way it was delivered speaks volumes of his leadership skills/character. In my book if you want to get the best out of a cricketer, don't tell them off in front of their opposition and fans.

The real question is this: Did it work?

Well the batsman Smith was told not to talk to was 14 not out at the time in the first session of the match and went on to make 2 centuries in the match, and outscored Smith and Clarke combined easily. Pakistan won the match by a record margin for their country in test history and it was Australia's third largest defeat by runs in their history. I would suggest it didn't work

Well the batsman Smith was told not to talk to was 14 not out at the time in the first session of the match and went on to make 2 centuries in the match, and outscored Smith and Clarke combined easily. Pakistan won the match by a record margin for their country in test history and it was Australia's third largest defeat by runs in their history. I would suggest it didn't work
But did Smith work harder and step up the next chance he got?

Captaining for the draw was the easy way out. I'm not saying it wasn't the right thing to do, but it was the easy way out.
A simplistic view of "aggressive captaincy = good, defensive captaincy = bad" is stupid.

Under Smith we won the Border/Gavaskar trophy and didn't lose a Test.

But did Smith work harder and step up the next chance he got?

ill take those questions separately as they arent related.

Did it work? the pakistani cricket team dominated us.

The next chance smithy got he registered a duck

Grandstanding? What is this?

Basically, it's OK for Border but not OK for Clarke?

Both incidents are absolutely fine. Stop trying to stitch Clarke up for something that's not remotely problematic.

You've already said you think Clarke 'enjoyed the attention' following Hughes' death, so I think it's pretty clear you're not making much effort to be fair-minded.

Clarke loved being the "main mourner" following the Hughes death, a lot of people share my view on this. And yeah of
I've still never evidence of Clarke doing anything as stupid as what Warner did when he demanded Rahane 'speak English' when he was chatting with his partner. To defend it was even more laughable.

Remove Clarke (and Haddin) from this side, and Warner is probably vice captain and ready to step in should Smith return to his form of 12> months ago.

God help us all if that happens.

Clarke loved being the "main mourner" following the Hughes death, a lot of people share my view on this. And yeah of

God help us all if that happens.
That's the point though. Nobody is saying that Clarke hasn't shown himself to be an ordinary bloke, but just look at the alternatives!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back