Michael Clarke vs the World

Remove this Banner Ad

If Clarke did that to Johnson I think the world would just spontaneously combust.

I don't know why people who have never met Clarke hate him. If you've had a bit to do with him like some on here have, then fair enough, but otherwise I just don't see it. Must of the people who say they hate him probably loved him 24 months ago.

I don't doubt for a second that Clarke's popularity with the wider cricket following public directly correlates with the proportion of runs he provides to the Australian test team.

He was booed onto the SCG for his first test as captain in 2011, and only 12 months later he made 329 on the same ground and was a hero.

I've been consistent in my dislike for him as an individual, but also believe he is a brilliant cricketer that should be in the XI when fit.

Does anyone actually like Watto(apart from the selectors that is)?
My limited understanding of the Watto situation is:

Older players love him (Punter, Huss, Hadds etc)
His own generation has a strong dislike for him (Johnson, Clarke 32-24 years olds basically)
The younger players all like him as well, even Warner despite previous disputes between the 2.

He is an extremely popular player internationally, with some notable exceptions in Kohli, Gayle, Gambhir, Anderson.

You will here younger guys like Rahane speak very highly of him, and the assistance he has provided to guys like him during the IPL. He is also apparently very close mates with Brendon McCullum and I think Brett Lee was in his wedding party.

I don't doubt for a second that Clarke's popularity with the wider cricket following public directly correlates with the proportion of runs he provides to the Australian test team.

He was booed onto the SCG for his first test as captain in 2011, and only 12 months later he made 329 on the same ground and was a hero.

I've been consistent in my dislike for him as an individual, but also believe he is a brilliant cricketer that should be in the XI when fit.

Oh I have no doubt you and western royboy have justified hate for him, which is fair enough, but I don't get how you can hate someone one summer and love them the next. Same has happened with Haddin this year, and will happen forever. Those people are alot more vocal about it and have to make every thread into a Clarke bashing thread.

Maybe I'm just bias because Clarke was one of my favourite players as a kid and I've never met him, just don't like peoples inconsistent opinion on him (personality wise, not cricket) depending on whether he makes runs or not.

The whole criticism of Clarke is that he's a prick and the players don't like him. The clip of him admonishing Smith is apparently proof of all that's toxic about his leadership. But when we see Border going much further, you make excuses for it.

My point is that Clarke was grandstanding and trying to belittle him in front of everyone (umpires, opposition, teammates) whereas Border was doing it just to McDermott as far as he knew. And the difference is Border had the players respect so when he gave a bake the player would cop it, unlike with Clarke.

Oh I have no doubt you and western royboy have justified hate for him, which is fair enough, but I don't get how you can hate someone one summer and love them the next. Same has happened with Haddin this year, and will happen forever. Those people are alot more vocal about it and have to make every thread into a Clarke bashing thread.

allow me to demonstrate how the sporting world works. Pogba plays for Juve and leads the team to multiple trophy wins. Juve fans love him. Few years later he leaves Juve for say AFC Bornemouth. Juve fans burn effigies and mash buttons to vent their spleen online.

Maybe I'm just bias because Clarke was one of my favourite players as a kid and I've never met him, just don't like peoples inconsistent opinion on him (personality wise, not cricket) depending on whether he makes runs or not.

i have not come across anyone online or IRL who have based their opinion of clarke as a person on runs made in a series or calendar year

i have not come across anyone online or IRL who have based their opinion of clarke as a person on runs made in a series or calendar year
I could go through almost half the people who are ripping into him in this thread and they would of loved Clarke as a person, captain and cricketer.

Now he's injured and he all of the sudden becomes an easy target. These people will probably hate Steve Smith once he has a drop in form.

I could go through almost half the people who are ripping into him in this thread and they would of loved Clarke as a person, captain and cricketer.

Now he's injured and he all of the sudden becomes an easy target. These people will probably hate Steve Smith once he has a drop in form.

these sort of sweeping statements are unfortunately commonplace these days in the media. Person A claims that people are outraged over something, then when pressed on who they are, Person A can't name names.

however you now have a chance to break the trend and name names

Speaking for myself I've never really liked Clarke, I merely went a bit quiet whilst he was making runs, happy that he was doing so for Australia but wishing it was someone else.

Don't think anyone actually dislikes Haddin as a person. By all accounts he's a great bloke.

Kind of the opposite of Clarke really, his record off field is pretty untouchable whereas his onfield performance have copped it, whereas Clarke offield has an ordinary track record and a stellar onfield one.

That was a tour match and McDermott was being a smart arse, there's every chance Border didn't even know the camera was on him. Plus no one else (other players, opponents, umpire) were anywhere around, big difference.

An Australian captain in any match for the last 35 years will have known very clearly that there always cameras (plural) on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember listening to a Jarrod Kimber podcast when Watson was suspended where he brought out the line "this is the 3rd or 4th hit Clarke has been involved with"

As I have said many, many times before, Clarke is a polarising and divisive figure within the cricket community. This thread just typifies that. I know people that only have ticks for him from their contact with him, there are just as many that have plenty of crosses. I reckon he is an outstanding batsman and tactical on field leader, but I am also acutely aware of the other aspects of his personality and the lengths he has gone to get what he wants. At some stage that stuff will come back to bite him, it always does.

I doubt whether the current stand off is a result of a one off incident, but at the end of the day, I don't make the decision and neither does anyone else here. If it wasn't an issue we wouldn't be hearing about it, but it is a very real one.

I can't think of anyone who has taken on the selectors / coach in this manner and won in an Australian cricket sense. Even today, Clarke is supposedly playing for Wests tomorrow in Sydney Grade, good luck to him but there does not seem to be a lot of communication between he and CA.

One or both parties need to go cap in hand and smoke the peace pipe. Not sure if either party is man enough to do so.

In a tour match in Somerset?

You do know that media organisations send reporters/journalists on tour with the team, right? This was even more so the case in 1993. Everything on the field is watched; you don't want to miss out on a potential scoop. And this was a biggish story for about a week at the time.

You do know that media organisations send reporters/journalists on tour with the team, right? This was even more so the case in 1993. Everything on the field is watched; you don't want to miss out on a potential scoop. And this was a biggish story for about a week at the time.

I heard that rumour. I didn't know that everything was filmed though, even a discussion at fine leg during a tour match. Do you think AB would have reasonably thought this would be on camera?

I remember listening to a Jarrod Kimber podcast when Watson was suspended where he brought out the line "this is the 3rd or 4th hit Clarke has been involved with"

As I have said many, many times before, Clarke is a polarising and divisive figure within the cricket community. This thread just typifies that. I know people that only have ticks for him from their contact with him, there are just as many that have plenty of crosses. I reckon he is an outstanding batsman and tactical on field leader, but I am also acutely aware of the other aspects of his personality and the lengths he has gone to get what he wants. At some stage that stuff will come back to bite him, it always does.

I doubt whether the current stand off is a result of a one off incident, but at the end of the day, I don't make the decision and neither does anyone else here. If it wasn't an issue we wouldn't be hearing about it, but it is a very real one.

I can't think of anyone who has taken on the selectors / coach in this manner and won in an Australian cricket sense. Even today, Clarke is supposedly playing for Wests tomorrow in Sydney Grade, good luck to him but there does not seem to be a lot of communication between he and CA.

One or both parties need to go cap in hand and smoke the peace pipe. Not sure if either party is man enough to do so.

yes he's playing which is good. but only batting. won't be standing in the field

I heard that rumour. I didn't know that everything was filmed though, even a discussion at fine leg during a tour match. Do you think AB would have reasonably thought this would be on camera?

He certainly should have! He was part of Hughes' touring party to the WI ten years earlier when, during a low key game against one of the island teams, the captain protested against the local team's tactics by staging a go-slow at the crease. He had his non-striker (Wayne Phillips) remove his pads and sit down while he himself blocked everything. That was a big story at the time.

Also, It was in no way a "discussion at fine leg"; Border was in the slip cordon and McDermott was on the boundary. In legal terms there was no reasonable expectation of privacy.

So by your book this guy is a grandstanding tosser as well?

The Clarke hatred is laughable.

Have to agree.

Clarke was demonstrating to a young player that out in the middle the opposition are not friends. I love the Captain Grumpy style of captaincy which has been displayed by most successful Australian captains going back as far as I can remember. Going backwards, Clarke, Ponting, Waugh, Taylor, Border and I Chappell. All cranky pricks out on the field. I'm sure it didn't hurt Steve Smith in any way.

so you are saying Ill Chicken and Wayne Arnold hated clarke in the past, but now he's one of the worlds best batsmen love him?
No. I am saying that they were really the only two strongly showing their dislike for Clarke, now it's the other way around for the rest of the community (now most hate him while a few try defend him).

Just have a read through it, I just would like people to be consistent in their love/hate for players.

Have to agree.

Clarke was demonstrating to a young player that out in the middle the opposition are not friends. I love the Captain Grumpy style of captaincy which has been displayed by most successful Australian captains going back as far as I can remember. Going backwards, Clarke, Ponting, Waugh, Taylor, Border and I Chappell. All cranky pricks out on the field. I'm sure it didn't hurt Steve Smith in any way.

i wouldn't put clarke in that grumpy camp. i feel the smith vs clarke thing was an isolated incident.

No. I am saying that they were really the only two strongly showing their dislike for Clarke, now it's the other way around for the rest of the community (now most hate him while a few try defend him).

Just have a read through it, I just would like people to be consistent in their love/hate for players.

ah i understand now.

you must concede however that people are always going to change their minds about people. its human nature. do you expect bulldogs members to all applaude and cheer for cooney?

He certainly should have! He was part of Hughes' touring party to the WI ten years earlier when, during a low key game against one of the island teams, the captain protested against the local team's tactics by staging a go-slow at the crease. He had his non-striker (Wayne Phillips) remove his pads and sit down while he himself blocked everything. That was a big story at the time.

Well that's quite irrelevant, but thanks anyway I guess.

Also, It was in no way a "discussion at fine leg"; Border was in the slip cordon and McDermott was on the boundary. In legal terms there was no reasonable expectation of privacy.

In legal terms? What the hell? Did Border get sued for defamation for this or something? :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back