Mike Carlton cops wrath of Jewish/Israeli lobby. JIDF win this round.

Remove this Banner Ad

He's the big name 'columnist' of the biggest 'newspaper' in the country and has the PM ring him personally.

So?

Look at what I replied to "nary an eyebrow is raised" If he says boo, you guys are screaming about it.

Criticised but never actually faces any consequences.

So the 18c 'bolt case' was nothing?

Tell me, where has he personally and publicly abused his newspapers readers in the manner Carlton did.

Jew is a religious belief only no matter what way you push it. It's identical to when people comment on Islam or Muslims in the same manner.

What professional consequence did he suffer from this? He got the Bolt Report after this finding if i recall the timing.

If 18c does nothing, why do we bother having it as a law?

IIRC, He was fined, censored (banned from publishing anything one the topic again) and as copped a great deal of abuse from people who use it to bash him at every opportunity. Do you think those things have no effect on him personally and professionally?

If 18c does nothing, why do we bother having it as a law?

IIRC, He was fined, censored (banned from publishing anything one the topic again) and as copped a great deal of abuse from people who use it to bash him at every opportunity. Do you think those things have no effect on him personally and professionally?
You would think that would be a fireable offence, but no, still holds place of prominence, first point of call for Conservative pollies along with Alan Jones, plus gets tv show. I hope he hasn't been to hurt personally and professionally...

Couldn't happen to a nicer fellow. His intemperate, self-indulgent and fictional methods of journalism, all in the name of being 'colorful', were always going to get him in the s**t. I make no comment about the current controversy, other than to say that he has form. He is as big a liar and urger as Bolt has been proved to be. They are equally bad writers.

Jew is a religious belief only no matter what way you push it. It's identical to when people comment on Islam or Muslims in the same manner.

No it isn't. Even athiest Israeli's identify themselves as Jews, in stark contrast you'd never hear an Iraqi christian identify as muslim. So in the context of Mike's commenting on the Israeli crisis, prefacing abuse of his critics with the word "Jew" is a deliberate racial connotation. Semantics anyway, I dont care how you refer to the racist/bigot/jerk .

You would think that would be a fireable offence, but no, still holds place of prominence, first point of call for Conservative pollies along with Alan Jones, plus gets tv show. I hope he hasn't been to hurt personally and professionally...

If it's a fireable offence to publish a opinion piece that was a close call legally, then there would be no more opinion pieces. Just as well the right doesn't sue to shut people up (as much), or fairfax and the ABC would be toast.

Oh yeah, these days he also has to get what he writes checked by lawyers first. Bet that doesn't count as a 'professional consequence' either.

Carlton will just swap over to the ABC, the guardian and/or quietly rehired by fairfax before long. Tell me, where else would Bolt get a job? Not like the 'unbiased' ABC would hire anyone not of the left after all.

If it's a fireable offence to publish a opinion piece that was a close call legally, then there would be no more opinion pieces. Just as well the right doesn't sue to shut people up (as much), or fairfax and the ABC would be toast.

Oh yeah, these days he also has to get what he writes checked by lawyers first. Bet that doesn't count as a 'professional consequence' either.

Carlton will just swap over to the ABC, the guardian and/or quietly rehired by fairfax before long. Tell me, where else would Bolt get a job? Not like the 'unbiased' ABC would hire anyone not of the left after all.
In fact, Bolt used to have a weekly segment on the John Faine program, on ABC Local Radio, for about four years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton would have copped a tirade from the very well organised Jewish lobby. He wrote nothing Racist. He shouldnt have to put up with the sort of abusive crap that was sent to him. Those 'pissants' got exactly what they deserved.

The same lot who made Abbott back down (spineless muppet) over 18c. This lobby is determined to claim special privileges and then can't comprehend why so many Australians hold them in such contempt.

Criticism of Israeli policy/actions does not equal anti-Semitism.

Yes it does. Jewish lobby says it does. Its anti Semitism and a breach of the law, they are OFFENDED.

We cant have them being OFFENDED.

I miss him on Insiders too, I'd love to see him and David Marr in a prizefight.

Knife fight?

For telling Sydney Morning Herald readers to "get ****ed"
You don't even know that they were SMH readers.

The article was linked to by a number of Jewish/Israeli outlets, and all of the ones I have seen denounced the article as 'antisemitic' i.e. go and complain about it, get this guy fired.

I don't think you understand just how powerful organisations likes the JIDF are.

Google Jewish Internet Defence Force. And don't just read the wikipedia article - they more or less control wikipedia at least insofar as zionism/judaism articles are concerned.

You don't even know that they were SMH readers.

Hm...

Sean Aylmer, Fairfax Media's group director, News & Business Media, said Carlton resigned on Tuesday night when told he was about to be suspended for using "inappropriate" and "offensive" language during correspondence with Herald readers. On Tuesday, Herald editor-in-chief Darren Goodsir issued a public apology for any offence caused by Carlton when he responded to readers about a controversial column he wrote about the conflict in Gaza. That column was published in the Herald on July 26, and remains online.

Aylmer said it was not the column that led to Carlton's resignation, but Carlton's response to readers who contacted him following its publication. Carlton used expletives and told some readers to "f--- off", Aylmer said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/mike-carl...ing-herald-20140806-100w1u.html#ixzz39bCSsRg6

The Israel lobby is extraordinarily well funded and connected. It ill behoves any public broadcaster to criticise them. Sadly for free speech.

In "My Israel Question" Antony Loewenstein wrote in relation to broadcaster Terry Lane:

He had received 'so many vicious and menacing letters ' and been the subject to 'harassment' vilification, threats and abuse'. The Zionist lobby, he wrote, were 'malicious, implacable, mendacious and dangerous'. He expressed dismay that as soon as the expression 'anti Semite' is uttered, 'or, heaven forbid , the sacred formula "six million"..... then I know from bitter experience that there is not one manager or editor in the country who will defend an underling. We are thrown to the jackals'. He concluded : 'In the end , the truly tolerant have no defence against intolerance. I surrender. To the Zionists I say : you win. To the Palestinians: forgive my cowardice'.

In those circumstances one can understand Carlton's decision to run.

I don't condone his response to the people that emailed him at all and it's not surprising that it has cost him his job, as most likely it would cost anyone their job if they responded to customers in that way ... BUT ... the storm all started from supposed anti-Semitism in the linked article in the OP. And I can't see it either. Criticism of Israeli policy/actions does not equal anti-Semitism. Or more broadly, criticism of any country's policy/actions is not racism. Yes, it CAN become that, but in no way has Mike Carlton's article come even close to being slightly confused for that.
There's no anti-semitism in the article but calling someone a Jewish biggot is - which is a shame because it undermines any valid points made in the article. I mean it's completely recycled as one comes to expect from from fairfax - but still something in it.

s**t commentator, s**t football team

he is no shlomo sand thats fur shur

he got into a brouhaha with austen tatious who must be the most unfunny funny man on these shores. he is worthy of a partnership with billy birmingham.

put austen and mike in a salad tosser and be done with them. is salad kosher?

s**t commentator, s**t football team

he is no shlomo sand thats fur shur

he got into a brouhaha with austen tatious who must be the most unfunny funny man on these shores. he is worthy of a partnership with billy birmingham.

put austen and mike in a salad tosser and be done with them. is salad kosher?
Austen Tayshus is the name. and yes, i really do look like a dodgy advertising executive creative in an advertising firm. there were two pleonasms and tautologies there, not just one.

austen-tayshus.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back