Mike Sheahan picks his best teams of the 1960's, 1970's, 1980's, 1990's & 2000's

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, he was charged with anything

Well you better take out Carey, Stewart, Nicholls etc ? No, Cousins has a taint on his career.

He wasn't charged with anything, doesn't mean he didn't do copious amount of blow and his actions contributed to the death of a star struck groupie.

If Shehan wants to take the moral high ground with Cousins that's fine, but apply it to Ablett, Carey, Stewart, Nicholls as well as you said, otherwise he just looks like a massive hypocrite.

It would be interesting to see if people putting up arguments for position inclusions treat the current AA selection thread in the same manner.

Regardless of position there are players I'd remove before Johnson. I already said who my out would be

80s Team;
Best midfielder of the 80s should be ruck rover. Tim Watson replacing Healy allows for the crazy omission of Daicos to be rectified, slotting him in at HF.

90s Team;
Archer ahead of Hart for mine.

00s Team;
Goodes and Cousins are massive oversights. Franklin, Hayes, Hird and Bartel should be there too but maybe some would fall into the 10s team like Hird falls back to the 90s team. Riewoldt best CHF by some way from Tredrea. I'd put Pav HF with Brown out. Brown and B Harvey to make way for unlucky players like Goodes and Cous.

Fev has as much chance of making 00s team as A Jakovich has of making 90s team.

I don't think Mike has done a bad job overall. One or two shocking oversights and a few positional changes aside.

Slim pickings for my poor Ol' Tigers, but pleased to see the great little fellow Dale Weightman recognised.

80's team:

Dale Weightman was a great player, who shone for the Tigers as well as Victoria, but I'd swap he and Platten, who Mike has on the bench.

Imo, Platten was the better player and should be first rover.
This was fiercely argued in my home amongst Hawks and tigers fans. In retrospect Platten was THE in and under rover, courageous and always busy and in the thick of it. Dale had skills and courage, and really showed his class in the SOO games of the era. Both great rovers.

Last edited:
Re Weightman without pushing it too hard there was a time when Plugger, no less, though Weightman the best little player going round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

80s Team;
Best midfielder of the 80s should be ruck rover. Tim Watson replacing Healy allows for the crazy omission of Daicos to be rectified, slotting him in at HF.

90s Team;
Archer ahead of Hart for mine.

00s Team;
Goodes and Cousins are massive oversights. Franklin, Hayes, Hird and Bartel should be there too but maybe some would fall into the 10s team like Hird falls back to the 90s team. Riewoldt best CHF by some way from Tredrea. I'd put Pav HF with Brown out. Brown and B Harvey to make way for unlucky players like Goodes and Cous.

Fev has as much chance of making 00s team as A Jakovich has of making 90s team.

I don't think Mike has done a bad job overall. One or two shocking oversights and a few positional changes aside.

Bartel? Yeah nah.

Mike Sheahan must just sit in his shed cooking up how to put footy players' names into different lists all day. The bloke has to be on the spectrum.

Indeed, and in fact I've dug up a rare photo of Sheahan in the process of making one of his lists:

rainman-ref.jpg

It's interesting to see Hawks fans support Sams early career so eagerly, after they all took turns stabbing him in the back and forcing him out as Captain.

Do the hierarchy at West Coast let the fans pick the captain? And here is me thinking they were a well run outfit. I wanted Sam to stay as captain. Hodge is a better on field leader (although Sam's form has been consistently better across their careers), but Hodge didn't need the captain's title to do his on field leadership role. Sam does a much better job dealing with the media off the ground, and IMO the leader of the club should be able to act effectively as their off field spokesman too, and I'm sure Hodge is great at that (although I'll admit he has improved).

Hard to argue for Mitchell into the side if it means replacing Voss. Very different players, so a bit hard to compare the two.

Didn't watch enough 80's to comment. Wasn't born for the other decades.

1990s
B:
G. Wanganeen (Ess/PA), S. Silvagni (Carl), B. Hart (Adel) All fair. Best in their position
HB: G. McKenna (WC), G. Jakovich (WC), A. McLeod (Adel) Fletch in for McKenna.
C: P. Matera (WC), G. Williams (Geel/Syd/Carl), C. Bradley (Carl) Matera over Buckley is interesting.
HF: D. Jarman (Haw/Adel), W. Carey (NM/Adel), J. Hird (Ess) Yep
F: G. Ablett snr (Haw/Geel), T. Lockett (StK/Syd), G. Hocking (Geel) Hocking is interesting.
Foll: S. Rehn (Adel/Haw), P. Kelly (Syd), R. Harvey (StK) C.McKernan over Rehn.

Int: S. Kernahan (Carl), G. Brown (Coll), P. Salmon (Ess/Haw), C. Grant (Foots/WB)

Coach: D. Pagan
 Blight
Captain: W. Carey

2000s
B
: C. Johnson (Fitz/BL), M. Scarlett (Geel), D. Fletcher (Ess) Yep
HB: L. Hodge (Haw), J. Leppitsch (BL), N. Lappin (BL) Enright over Hodge (Hodge in 2010's)
C: N. Buckley (BB/Coll), M. Voss (BL), S. Black (BL) Yep
HF: N. Riewoldt (StK), J. Brown (BL), B. Harvey (NM) Hird & Buddy over Roo & Boomer (stiff competition though)
F: J. Akermanis (BL/WB), M. Lloyd (Ess), B. Johnson (WB) Chapman over Johnson
Foll: D. Cox (WC), C. Judd (WC/Carl), G. Ablett jnr (Geel/GC) Yep

Int: M. Pavlich (Fre), M. Ricciuto (Adel), S. Crawford (Haw), W. Tredrea (PA) Bartel over Crawford. S.Johnson over Pav.

Coach: L. Matthews 
yep
Captain: M. Voss yep

Mike forgetting how good that Geelong team was in 07, 08 and 09. Chappy, Bartel, Enright, Johnson?
Buddy?

Am I the only one that thinks the teams are pretty good?

Sure, there may be one or two I could argue with, but over four decades there will always be stiff omissions. I can't see any selections that are ridiculous (as would usually be the case if a BigFooty poster had a go)

I agree with you - i think he has done a pretty good job

The only 2 id have different are

1960s - Bill Barrott (Richmond - centreman) he should be in - if they had Norm Smith medals back then - hed probably have 2 - 67 definitely and 69 he would have been in the best 3 . How many centreman can go to full forward and kick 8 goals in a game He was a far superior footballer to both Lord and Mann who were both finished at 26-27. Barrott was a prickly customer - Mike might have had a run in with him - thats why he left him out

1990s - Dean Kemp - Norm Smith medalist in 94 - superb footballer with great skill

Remove this Banner Ad

Back