Milne, Blake and Kosi

Remove this Banner Ad

saintersown

All Australian
Aug 5, 2011
melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Well just watching the footy, for those that didn't know. Eddie Maguire (yes I know...) claims that he can "confirm" Milne, aswell as Kosi and Blake (who were expected to retire), will enfact retire.. thoughts on Milne retiring? I was oping he'd stay for one more year..

Was just about to post this thread.

What a moment for 3 great clubmen, I hope the club can honour their work and announce the farewell to the members before the rest of the media report it.

Not surprised, always was going to happen this year but.. also thought Lenny as well! Apparently Watters said he was going to speak with Milne about 2014 next week..

Never understood why clubs holdback on announcing stuff. Because they wait, but then it just gets leaked anyway, so what's the point?

Three very important Saints in a great era. You have the classy Milne, workhorse Blake and the unique Kosi. All three are very lovable players and will be missed. Great careers :thumbsu:

Just got home from work, where instead of actually doing anything remotely productive, i monitored the game- good win, how did panther go? - and thought of starting this sort of thread. So thanks.

It is going to be a very sad week next week. I saw all these guys debut, in fact saw Milne kill us playing in a reserves GF for the Bombers. Will pen some of my favorite memories later this week, but I'll be stuck in Sydney and miss their farewells.

Just wish i could say to all three of them, face to face - you were one club men, you bled for the colors, you are what STKFC is all about and I'll be telling my grandkids about each of you and each year you will get bigger and better in my memory.

Jason, Justin, Stephen, thankyou for being Saints.

Blakey never got enough credit, not from the media, certainly not from umpires and not even from Saints fans (I fought the good fight to get Saintsational to sponsor him, was outvoted in favour of Raph Clarke). Extremely solid player and great workhorse, punched out of his weight division too many times and pulled it off a surprising number. I'll always remember him using Sandilands as a stepladder all day in a Tassie game.

Milney got some credit but still fell short of what he was due. Creative, elusive, dynamic, unpredictable, inconsistent but a joy to watch on song. Pretty decent auctioneer too.

Ah, Big Justin. I still blame Grant Thomas for a lot of what went wrong with Big Justin, tried to turn a fantastic young centre half back into a ruckman and it did not work. Ten years too early to play that role as it turns out. Produced some great memories and a great clubman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am disappointed Milne didn't get to announce his own retirement.. judging by Joeys reaction during an interview it wasn't supposed to come out like that either..

Going to be a sad day. 3 great servants. Milne has absolutely bled red white and black through his whole career, can't think of a bloke in recent times who has shown more passion for our footy club than Milne.

Kosi also a great St Kilda person who has given everything. Reckon he's going to be missed by the boys around the club heaps!

Blakey, love him, gives everything, played any role asked. Think he's underrated as a key defender for the last 5 or so years. I used to say I could hardly remember him getting beaten but never seemed to get that much credit. Was a huge reason for our success in 09/10.

Will be a sad day.

Why is he Retiring.Would be in the Best 22 and i see it as a silly decision.You need some of the old stagers to teach the young kids how it is done.I get the Gut feeling that Scotty Waters has made the decision and to me he can still play.

blake is the most versatile player i have ever seen play the game. from ruck to CHB to FB to BP to HBF to FWD, is there a position he didnt play?

also played rover

tagging Camporeale back in the day

Why is he Retiring.Would be in the Best 22 and i see it as a silly decision.You need some of the old stagers to teach the young kids how it is done.I get the Gut feeling that Scotty Waters has made the decision and to me he can still play.
I think a lot of it probably has to do with the court case. If that wasn't happening I reckon he'd be playing on, especially with Saad likely to be missing as well, but the club may have pushed retirement on him due to the court case and not wanting that publicity.

At the very least he would surely be able to play the role Gia has been playing at WB this year, getting subbed on for much of the year and coming on and having an impact, but it's not to be and now others will get a chance at it.

In honour of Blakey's retirement... (if only I could find a better version)

rwUCyl5.png

I think it's better that they go out on top, rather then go on an extra year and see their output decline. Besides, from here on, each game they play takes a place away from a kid of the future... which is where our focus should be.

Thanks to three true Saints. Heroes on the field and great clubmen off it.

Here's to a good show and win over Te Dockers (we can always hope). Sort of makes you realise next year might be harder than this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back