Mitchell vs Hodge

Who is the better player

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

May 20, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Both have been massive contributors to Hawthorn's run of premierships, but who so far has had the better career?

Hodge has lifted more than most on the biggest occasions of all as is proven with his two norm smiths, and he is a fantastic leader/captain who regularly puts his body on the line, but Mitchell for me is the slightly more consistent, superior player. He's always effective by hand and foot on both sides, and always makes the right decisions, not to mention regularly deals with a tag as the #1 midfielder. He has been unlucky to not win one or two brownlows by now such is his underrated status.

very hard decision. probably my 2 favorite players from other clubs. love hodges toughness, leadership, fearless attack on the ball, can lift his team with an act of courage. reminds me a lot of vossy.
sam mitchell his handball/kicking and vision are at an elite level. if i was forced to choose one i would go sam mitchell but to me it's a toss of the coin job.

This is actually really simple. Mitchell.

From a leadership point he is a great leader and a premiership captain (just happened to be in the same team as the best captain in the league). Ability wise. As far as midfielders go he would be the best I have ever seen at Hawks within the last 20 years.

Hodge is the best leader in the league. A massive big game player. He is just does not have Mitchell's freakish ability and more importantly his ultra fast decision making ability.

Mitchell is the better big game player, look back at all his preliminary finals and it's not just the number but quality of possessions he has.

Disposals 33 31 29 38 26 35

Clearances 8 7 7 11 4 5

Mitchell is comfortably the best Hawks I've seen.

Mitchell has definitely been way more consistent across their careers for high-caliber performance.

But Hodge is the better footballer....His all-round game has Sammy covered.

Sammy has a better inside game, but that's it.

If Podge has a day out we always inevitably win.

Therein lies the difference.

Y
Mitchell has definitely been way more consistent across their careers for high-caliber performance.

But Hodge is the better footballer....His all-round game has Sammy covered.

Sammy has a better inside game, but that's it.

If Podge has a day out we always inevitably win.

Therein lies the difference.

Your first line sums up the better footballer, Mitchell has hodge covered as he delivers elite performances more often, that separates them imo

Y

Your first line sums up the better footballer, Mitchell has hodge covered as he delivers elite performances more often, that separates them imo

Podge is equally adept at both defense & attack as he is in the middle.

His range off the left is 60+ meters & 50 on the right....Sammy struggles to hit it over 45.

Sammy has an excellent short game though.

And when it comes to aerial prowess, then forget it....There's no comparison....That's what makes Podge the better 'Natural all-round Footballer', in the purest sense of the word.

He's also a goal-kicker, Sammy is not.

What do I mean by "Natural all-round Footballer"?....Think Jezza, Blight, Ablett Snr & Fyfe.

It's no coincidence we've won the last 3 since Podge went back into the middle....That was the beauty & double added bonus Lake's acquisition afforded us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam can kick 50 off both not sure what youre on about and Hodge barely has a right foot

Hodge is one of the best right foot, left footers..... I reckon I've seen him kick almost as many right foot goals as Mitchell has kicked total goals. And Mitch getting 50 is needing to absolutely middle it in cricket talk.

However anything 40 and below and Mitch is just poetry on either foot.

Obviously far and away the two best Hawks in a 4 time premiership era.

As mentioned, Hodge has more natural gifts and is more versatile. At thier best, Hodge may win (is in the debate anyway).

However, Mitchell has been constantly at or very near his best for over a decade (one of the most consistent players of all time) which makes this an easy decision.

I mean, Mitchell has had about 5-6 quiet games in the last 7 years! His worst season (2010) was where he struggled with a shoulder issue and was moved at times to the flanks. He still averaged 28 possessions and picked up 15 Brownlow votes in his poorest year over that time.

Mitchell's consistency is what has made him underrated as he been around the top 5 mids every year since 2003 whilst others have moved in and out each year and people always remember players at their best, as though they play that way every week and every year (which very few others do but Mitchell has).

(Hodge had a slowish start (OP), an inconsistent '09 and '11 and looked cooked in 2012. Many brilliant years around those ('05, '08, '10, etc.) but Mitch has been very good to elite every year since '03 when he won the rising star in a canter and led the league in clearances)

This is why Mitchell is top 5 all time for Brownlow votes, top 5 all time for Coaches votes, top 5 all time for 30+ possession games, etc.

Add to that he goes up another level again in finals and is one of the best finals players of all time.

As they play in the same club at the same time, comparing to Hodge is not too hard (Mitch on left, Hodge on right):
B&F's 4-2 (Mitch robbed in 2015)
AA 3-3
BL and Coaches votes: Mitch comfortably.
NS: 0-2 (Mitch runner up twice)
Best Finals Player: 2-0
There is also no comparison statistically as Mitch dominates as he would with more time in middle and ridiculous consistency as mentioned.

As others have said, Mitchell is the best Hawk since Dunstall (who is top 10 all time) and the best Hawk mid ever outside of Matthews (who is in the convo for no1 all time).

Last edited:
Don't think this is really that close. Mitchell is just a great footballer. He should have at least one of Hodges NS around his neck for mine and just doesn't miss in big games.

Hodge is great but he doesn't live with the Voss, Buckley, Riccuito, Judd types that Mitchell has now approached.

Sam can kick 50 off both not sure what you're on about and Hodge barely has a right foot

Yeah...nah

So wrong on both counts.

Luv Sammy as much as any other Hawk....But he can't make the distance from inside 50 off either foot & never has.

Podge's right is almost as good as his left....You need to watch games more closely.

Back