MLB Off Season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We needed Freese to play 3B so yeah the Freese for Bourjois was a no brainer. I dont mind giving up a prospect for Salas cause all the relievers are garbage and probably worse then Salas even if Salas had a poor year

We need a healthy 3B not someone whose body was showing major signs of breaking down.

It wasn't just a poor year for Salas - it was two in a row. Then we made his acquisition even more puzzling by signing Joe Smith who will play the exact same bullpen role that Salas was acquired to do. At least Smith has been a solid and consistent reliever.

Take a look at his split stats (pre and post all-star break): http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/8402/splits/

Then take a look at his playoff stats: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/f/freesda01.shtml

It wasn't a no brainer at all. It was a no brainer that we needed a 3B. It's not a no brainer that Freese is the best we could do.

Bourjos and Freese is a relatively fair swap. Throwing Grichuk for Salas was stupid.

Dan Haren signed by the Dodgers for one year, and Peralta has signed with the Cards, strengthening what is already one of the best rosters in the big leagues. Cardinals and Dodgers look like they will start way ahead of the pack at this point

Announcement of Hall of Fame Ballot today, who do you think will make it in this year?

Will Jack Morris make it on his last attempt?

Phil hughes apparently signed 3 year $24m with twins. How is he worth 8 million a year. Always has a high era and only has as many wins as he does with a strong yankees offense. Amazing how pretty average players can get so much money

I find at the moment with these free agents that there are 30 teams, and there is always one of them dumb enough to pay way over what a player is worth.

Good honest pitcher, but you are not going to win a World Series if he is one of your starters in the playoffs.

My worry would be is he has had 1 good year after so many injury plagued years. If he gets injured early, he could be a lot of money spent for no return.

Tigers have apparently traded Fister to the Nationals for players yet to be named.

Alot of talk about Samardjza getting traded, not sure how to feel about it. On one hand, two years of team control left and alot of promise to his game (despite what ended up being a mediocre season ERA wise, he was outstanding the first half of the year. Like make he faded after the all star break when we traded anyone of value away, cant take much from our last couple of months IMO). On the other hand it again signals giving up before the season starts. Don't think we'll be competing anyway, not even close (although it'd be nice to show some improvement) but I also dont really think massive losing seasons particularly help an environment of fairly young players.

Still, no guarentees he is an ace in a winning side, and who knows how good the pitching prospects we could net would be.

There's a few reports linking the Cubs to both Ellsbury and Granderson, both of whom I would love to get. Again, I don't see us splashing at present, we're in full on save cash mode for both when we're good and when we can get the Wrigley renovations going. Would be cool though to have a player of quality to lead off the lineup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Billy Beane's been busy. He's traded Jemile Weeks for closer Jim Johnson, and Michael Choice and Chris Bostick for the Rangers' OF Craig Gentry and RHP Josh Lindbolm, then traded OF Seth Smith to the Padres for righty reliever Luke Gregerson.

Wowee

Dexter Fowler has been traded to the Astros for Brandon Barnes/Jordon Lyles. AJ Pierzynski has signed with Boston. Jarrod Saltalamachia signed with Miami. Morneu has gone to the Rockies to replace Helton.

Hey guys,

not sure if this is the right thread for this, if not just move this post to that

I'm looking for a baseball team to follow, I've only really seen it in the movies (but I've seen a lot of them, and kind of interested). I liked the A's but given the movie I'm not keen on picking them, and I'm hesitant on picking the red sox or the yankees. Im hoping for a team from the american league that is on tv a lot (side note how do you guys watch the games over here?) or if not on tv gets a lot of coverage, i know long list of demands but hoping one of you can help me out

Cano to deal to Seattle is apparently a done deal for 10 years

Wow if it is true - cant see him staying the 10 but finally we get a big fish. We need others to join him to make us a contender

But it is nice to see the Yanks losing someone big - it doesn't happen enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back