News Morton an Eagle for Pick 88

Remove this Banner Ad

Morton probably won't be encouraged to put on much weight, 87kg is probably enough. I'd say heis on the list to cover for embley, gaff and rosa. A direct replacement for Stevenson

Reported Glass dropped 10kg over the past couple of years because of the introduction of the sub rule and to adapt to the changing game with more emphasis on covering more ground. Eagles play the forward press, others flood. All means the same thing players running up and back, up and back.

Morton has the attributes to excel in this facit of the game. Others sure he needs to improve on and now he's at a decent club hell bent on success and winning lets see what the kids got.:thumbsu:

Posters on here need to cut Morton some slack, just remember where the poor bloke was drafted to and what he had to put up with. Todays "new evidence" of the Dees organised tanking efforts put a massive negative on what they were doing. How can a player develop and reach their best under those conditions, career ending stuff for some players.

I'm prepared to reserve judgement on Morton, but I can't help chuckling at the Lade footage.

No matter who he plays for, that will always be lolworthy material.

Obviously he is an Eagle now, so I would expect everyone to reserve judgement until he shows us what he's got. Unfortunately that is not the case.

Hope he shows something. Not expecting a whole lot - but if he does his job when asked then can't really complain.

Every new eagle gets a chance as far as im concerned. While i think wellingham is a good player and have been an advocate for getting him i really, really disliked him playing for collingwood and have always thought of him as a bit of a sniper. I've pretty much always disregarded cale morton as i never thought we'd have another morton at the club after mitch. In saying that he has his deficiencies as well as the past issues with his family. In saying that he is very talented and as a junior in particular he was an absolutely elite kick of the ball and an amazing runner.

The kid can play, theres no doubt about it, he has the talent he was a number 4 pick and has some real weapons, most importantly hes a beautiful kick. I tend to think Melbourne are just a complete rabble and just cant develop players, no one has a hope there, so I dont think its Cales fault his development has been stunted. We got him for free and I think he can be atleast good depth and at best a replacement for Rosa / Embley as a winger.

Every new eagle gets a chance as far as im concerned. While i think wellingham is a good player and have been an advocate for getting him i really, really disliked him playing for collingwood and have always thought of him as a bit of a sniper. I've pretty much always disregarded cale morton as i never thought we'd have another morton at the club after mitch. In saying that he has his deficiencies as well as the past issues with his family. In saying that he is very talented and as a junior in particular he was an absolutely elite kick of the ball and an amazing runner.

Not saying we need a "sniper" as such bit it'll be good having a mid with a bit of mongrel

IMO Morton is an upgrade on Ebert. I hated the idea of getting Morton as he'd cost too much but for pick 88 - what a bargain.

Has a tonne of talent - elite 50m+ kick both sides of the body, great over head, huge tank, versatility as a HB-HF flanker/winger/utility.

Though also has some key areas that he needs to improve - his defensive mindset, size, strength, agility (runs/moves like a baby giraffe).

Hopefully WC can Josh Hill him.

i cant think of many people who would agree. one thing for sure is that ebert would have played every game for Melbourne.

talent is one thing but its pointless if everything is not right between the ears. ebert has plenty right.

i cant think of many people who would agree. one thing for sure is that ebert would have played every game for Melbourne.

In the context of the balance of midfield types we have, I think it's quite reasonable to suggest Morton is an upgrade on Ebert. That's not to say other clubs wouldn't value Ebert higher.

I cry myself to sleep thinking about giving away pick 88 which is unlikely to have been used... :rolleyes:

I know right? It's robbed us of that golden chance on draft day as it passes to us after pick 87 and with a smug grin on our face we can say "Pass"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

talent is one thing but its pointless if everything is not right between the ears. ebert has plenty right.

I agree.

How would Ebert have done at a tanking Demons who probably would have played him as full back on Travis Cloke?

How can a 18 yr old kid "get it right between the ears" when the club that drafted him wasn't even interested in winning or success.

I don't think he played many games in 2012. It's a no loss situation for us anyway. We manage to get the Melbourne out of him and we picked up a decent player for nothing. We don't manage to turn him around then we've lost nothing anyway. Exactly like the JON experiment.

General warning for newbies.

If people haven't watched enough of Morton that they are waiting for a highlight video to form an opinion of him after he has played 70+ AFL games then they probably aren't the people to listen to in this thread.

/statingtheobvious

General warning for newbies.

If people haven't watched enough of Morton that they are waiting for a highlight video to form an opinion of him after he has played 70+ AFL games then they probably aren't the people to listen to in this thread.

/statingtheobvious

Lol yep, he's been in the league for what, 5 years now? And his highlights video is 52 seconds o_O

I'm prepared to reserve judgement on Morton, but I can't help chuckling at the Lade footage.
Melbourne supporters at that game have admitted that on video the Lade thing looked pretty bad but at the ground you could see he actually ran on as the ball had rebounded and Morton was running forward to creat a lead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back