Opinion Most Underated & Overated player from each team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Old small forward Rioli was definitely overrated after a few good games. New version of the rebounding half back Rioli is if anything underrated.
Disagree, played unaccountable football and his foot skills are not that good. I actually thought he was a much better player as a small forward, but just seemed to lose the plot post break up with Mia Fevola :laughv1:

He's the best at what he does in the league. A specific role in which he dominates. I rate Sicily just as high because he Can do both like he did last year. It was a travesty he wasn't AA last year with what he had to do. Stewart isn't overrated. There's only a couple in the league that can the impact on a game that he does. When we become successful again Sicily will be regarded the same way.
Don’t be fooled. The AA panel couldn’t identify Gibson for a period of years when we were braining sides.

Worth remembering that the AA team is fan voted rubbish, the only difference is that the fans doing the voting aren’t members of the public, they’re ex-players and club linked commentators making cases for their own players.

WTF does this even mean. You're pretty much saying that any goals kicked in the first 3 quarters don't count, and if a team is up or down by plenty then goals kicked in the last don't count either? Cause the game is not on the line right...

And the last claim that trust me mate, I've checked, fills me with about as much confidence as a Harrison Jones set shot when the game is "on the line".

Bolton is a gun, not one of the top players in the comp obviously but is storming up the ranks. Only some moron media make that claim - don't let that sway you by thinking that all Tigers supporters think he's one of the best players.
Goals kicked when the score is 18+ points, yes

Harrison Jones has a career accuracy of 75% so not bad then ;)

Over-rated - Based on current output Luke Jackson

Is neither elite in the ruck or forward line.

Hitout win % and hitout to advantage %s are very very low.

He’s only kicked 3+ goals once in his 52 games. He’s just not at all a dominant forward.

Having said that to be clear he’s only over-rated on current output. He’s still only 21, and despite having matured early he could learn and grow his ruck craft, at least by a small bit, though I suspect he will never be a high end tap ruck but more a follow up once it hits the deck type.
he's def not a good forward. I thought his hitout %'s were good tho?

Like when he did Jack s**t in the last quarter of each game when the game was on the line? He’s a loser
Anonymous keyboard warrior calls player who is fairly well universally admired as a mans man who plays the game as it should be played and is the current brownlow medallist a loser.

Rest of internet has a fairly good idea of who the loser actually is.

As I mentioned in my post above, Bolton is a damn good player and one who if he keeps improving can reach the heights he is being spoken about now.

Some claims make it out like he is the best player in the comp. Didn't even finish in the top 3 in his clubs best and fairest.

How many B&F’s did GAS win in his career? One… in 1984. Mustn’t have been close to best player in comp from 1985 onwards let alone one of the GOAT based on your logic.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Far out, seeing Newcombe listed as overrated multiple times is pushing this thread into 'shark jumping' territory.

He's only had one full season of football. Is the suggestion that he's overrated by the coaches who voted him the best young player in the competition?

James Worpel would have been a far better nomination from the Hawks. And I'm honestly surprised I haven't seen Jiath or Will Day mentioned yet since both are fawned over (for good reason) but prone to poor patches of form at this stage in their careers.

Adelaide: Laird OR, Berry UR.
Brisbane: Andrews OR, Coleman UR.
Carlton: can’t choose an OR, Young UR.
Collingwood: De Goey OR, Ginnivan UR.
Essendon: Perkins OR, Shiel UR.
Fremantle: Brodie OR, Cox UR.
GWS: Kelly OR, Himmelberg UR.
Geelong: De Koning OR, Stanley UR.
Gold Coast: Rowell OR, Collins UR.
Hawthorn: Day OR, Hardwick UR.
Melbourne: Lever OR, Brayshaw UR.
North: Zurhaar OR, McKay UR.
Port: Rozee OR, Burton UR.
Richmond: Bolton OR, Broad UR.
St. Kilda: Sinclair OR, Membrey UR.
Sydney: Warner OR, McDonald UR.
West Coast: Allen OR, Duggan UR.
Footscray: Daniel OR, English UR.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide: Laird OR, Berry UR.
Brisbane: Andrews OR, Coleman UR.
Carlton: can’t choose an OR, Young UR.
Collingwood: De Goey OR, Ginnivan UR.
Essendon: Perkins OR, Shiel UR.
Fremantle: Brodie OR, Cox UR.
GWS: Kelly OR, Himmelberg UR.
Geelong: De Koning OR, Stanley UR.
Gold Coast: Rowell OR, Collins UR.
Hawthorn: Day OR, Hardwick UR.
Melbourne: Lever OR, Brayshaw UR.
North: Zurhaar OR, McKay UR.
Port: Rozee OR, Burton UR.
Richmond: Bolton OR, Broad UR.
St. Kilda: Sinclair OR, Membrey UR.
Sydney: Warner OR, McDonald UR.
West Coast: Allen OR, Duggan UR.
Footscray: Daniel OR, English UR.
If there's a category for criminally underrated Hardwick would be front of the cue. Equally as good as Maynard but doesn't play for a franchise club in Melbourne. Very similar players except opposite kicking feet.

How many B&F’s did GAS win in his career? One… in 1984. Mustn’t have been close to best player in comp from 1985 onwards let alone one of the GOAT based on your logic.

Go and check Gary's wiki page and the career highlights why he is considered one of the best players ever

he's def not a good forward. I thought his hitout %'s were good tho?
No they’re hideous

33.2 (hitout win%) and 28.8% (hitout to advantage %)

As compared to

Darcy
53.4 33.3
Witts
49.3 34.3
Gawn
53 33.6

But what about rucks who aren’t considered great?

Mcinerny
46 31.3
Pittonet
41.1 41.7
Nank
48 29.5

But what about younger rucks not yet in their prime?

Draper
45.8 30.4
English
37.9 31.4
Reeves
47.2 29.7
Dekoning
31.8 36.2
Flynn
45.5 34.6
Xerri
43.3 28.2
Ladhams
34.9 26.1
Hayes
48.6 31.7
Meek
35.9 31.6

That’s not to say he can’t improve those numbers, but currently they’re horrible.

And usually rucks don’t greatly improve those win % numbers, they improve other areas of their game ie fitness, marking, general play etc.

Hawks fans overrate Reeves. Some think he'll become the best ruckman in the league. IMO he's a project player that still has a lot to learn.

I think Moore and Hardwick are underrated, though the former was getting some recognition by the media last season. Hardwick really doesn't get enough recognition though, but then again he plays an unfashionable position.

I can honestly say that I haven’t thought about that game once since it happened. That game is about the least important thing that happened to Geelong all season.

You are correct about one thing - I couldn’t pick Dylan Moore out of a police lineup.
I certainly know Dylan Moore, and the umpires love him too. Finished 2022 with 44 free kicks for, and just 11 against. For a player who is mainly a forward (except when i back him to kick a couple in my multies when the Hawks play him in the midfield), that's quite a staggering discrepancy.

I was rather peeved when the Hawks were reported to have 'Mouthguards out' at training the week when playing Geelong, yet against the Tigers late in the season we saw the Hawks roll out the tank when playing a 2nd-game nobody on Lynch and having Sicily play in the midfield. They are the Acey-Deucy of footy consistency that's for sure. But then again they are a young side.

I get what he’s trying to say, I don’t think he’s super slow. But just the physique he has will make him naturally deficient in these areas. He’s a tall strong unit, that’s why you guys also ruck him in the F50. He isn’t there to crumb, he’s a power forward like Lynch. They’re galoops.

Jack is a little different he’s a more nimble forward that is better on ground level but isn’t as good at contested marking as Hawkins cause he doesn’t have the strength. Hence why Jack plays CHF for us and Lynch is FF. Same thing with Cameron and Hawkins. I’m not saying Hawkins is overrated btw.

Can’t explain Buddy he’s just good at everything.

He's never been a great (or even very good) overhead mark. But the rest of his game, yeah.

No they’re hideous

33.2 (hitout win%) and 28.8% (hitout to advantage %)

As compared to

Darcy
53.4 33.3
Witts
49.3 34.3
Gawn
53 33.6

But what about rucks who aren’t considered great?

Mcinerny
46 31.3
Pittonet
41.1 41.7
Nank
48 29.5

But what about younger rucks not yet in their prime?

Draper
45.8 30.4
English
37.9 31.4
Reeves
47.2 29.7
Dekoning
31.8 36.2
Flynn
45.5 34.6
Xerri
43.3 28.2
Ladhams
34.9 26.1
Hayes
48.6 31.7
Meek
35.9 31.6

That’s not to say he can’t improve those numbers, but currently they’re horrible.

And usually rucks don’t greatly improve those win % numbers, they improve other areas of their game ie fitness, marking, general play etc.
Last year Jackson was at 39.5 HTW% and 31 HTA% which is the same numbers as Tim English so its seems like a highly variable stat to me. But yeah, I don't think he's really going to be known for his tap out work. It's his ground work stuff that has the potential to be elite. He could legitimately be a full time inside mid and never ruck. He has that scope and flexibility.

Go and check Gary's wiki page and the career highlights why he is considered one of the best players ever

So B&F results are not relevant any more as they were earlier today - ok, gotcha. Everyone can change their mind, so all good.

Are you 14?

Did you read what I was replying to? He said Bolton was overrated because he didn’t even finish top-3 in Richmond’s B&F.. I was making the point B&F results don’t tell the whole story, as evidenced by GAS only winning 1 and not winning another despite 3 consecutive Coleman’s.

I think GAS is a superstar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back