Opinion Most Underated & Overated player from each team.

Remove this Banner Ad

I can only comment on the team I follow, I don't know enough about the opposition and nor do I care.
It's impossible to overrate any current Geelong player, they were supposed to be cellar dwellers years ago, if anything they've all been underrated, but if I was to pick one who has snuck up on everyone without much regard I would say Jed Bews. Before his breakout year in 2022, it was Tom Atkins.
I feel the same about my mob, don’t get me wrong i’m not above calling one of own overrated, I was calling for Clokes head 2 years before he left, was calling for Frasers head since he debuted etc, can’t find anyone in the current team though, partly because most aren’t rated that highly.

I feel the same about my mob, don’t get me wrong i’m not above calling one of own overrated, I was calling for Clokes head 2 years before he left, was calling for Frasers head since he debuted etc, can’t find anyone in the current team though, partly because most aren’t rated that highly.
Understandable, we all only care about our own players and how they're progressing, Collingwood certainly had at least half a dozen who snuck up on everyone in 2022 considering they finished 17th the year before. They will come under more scrutiny in 2023, but I think they are one of the top 4 or 5 challengers again. The competition was taken by surprise by the instant success of Nick Daicos who looks a future Brownlow Medallist.

That's triple premiership captain to you.

Just accept the fact that Cripps got extremely lucky - doesn't take away from his brownlow in Carlton's best season in a decade (9th). If you ever need a reminder of Carlton's greatest season just look at my avatar - should bring back good memories :)

Still waiting for you to explain what "get off on a technicality" is you silly Richmunt - as if, boofheads repeat things often enough they are the troof. The troof is that the ump right next to the collision didn't think it was report worthy - the ex Collingwood boofhead flog who makes the calls for Gil the Dill didn't even watch all the video evidence, the Tribunal didn't want the video evidence presented in making its Gil the Dill decision - and the appeal rightfully made them all look foolish/contrived and generally unprofessional and stoopid.

NOTHING 'lucky' about Cripps being exonerated at all - despite whatever media witch-hunting click-baiting idjots expected and opposition hoped for.

Yes, but from 1993-1995 when he was winning Coleman’s and kicking 10+ every second week, he was overrated when talked about as a GOAT as he couldn’t even with the B&F those seasons …

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
To be fair, Ablett’s time at Geelong did coincide with some other all-time greats of the club - G. Hocking was the winner in 93/94, and Brownlow Medallist Paul Couch in 1995. We look at his goal kicking in wonder now but he was not the only player capable of kicking double figure hauls back then. He just did it with more frequency than most.

And I’m one of the few Geelong supporters that won’t rush in to defend an Ablett slur mindlessly, I just think in this instance you’re barking up the wrong tree.

To be fair, Ablett’s time at Geelong did coincide with some other all-time greats of the club - G. Hocking was the winner in 93/94, and Brownlow Medallist Paul Couch in 1995. We look at his goal kicking in wonder now but he was not the only player capable of kicking double figure hauls back then. He just did it with more frequency than most.

And I’m one of the few Geelong supporters that won’t rush in to defend an Ablett slur mindlessly, I just think in this instance you’re barking up the wrong tree.

I think you missed the original post it was in reply
to so this has lost its context. The comment came that Bolton was overrated as his season wasn’t that good as he couldn’t even finish top-3 in Richmond’s B&F. That inspired my comment about GAS, showing B&F results aren’t always a guide to performance or greatness.

It still boggles my mind GAS didn’t win a B&F in ANY of his Coleman winning seasons…. particularly when I see Lynch win Richmond’s this year despite missing 5-games.

Just shows how valuable goals are in these modern days of defensive zones.

I think you missed the original post it was in reply
to so this has lost its context. The comment came that Bolton was overrated as his season wasn’t that good as he couldn’t even finish top-3 in Richmond’s B&F. That inspired my comment about GAS, showing B&F results aren’t always a guide to performance or greatness.

It still boggles my mind GAS didn’t win a B&F in ANY of his Coleman winning seasons…. particularly when I see Lynch win Richmond’s this year despite missing 5-games.

Just shows how valuable goals are in these modern days of defensive zones.

I don’t know who you were arguing with about Bolton (probably a Geelong supporter) but he’s a star on the rise and you shouldn’t even bother arguing with anyone about that. As for Ablett, he wasn’t always the match winner that his stats would have suggested - Geelong’s penchant for kicking huge scores was rivalled only by its tendency to concede them and often the game wasn’t decided by stopping Ablett’s performance as much as it was by suffocating the team around him. In addition you had Dunstall, Lockett, Salmon, Carey etc. all kicking regular bags albeit in less spectacular fashion so while a 10 goal game was certainly noteworthy it was far from the mythical effort that we would describe it now and as a result Geelong’s prolific midfielders would often be acknowledged more openly in that 90s era of bridesmaids cats.

Will have a crack because bored.

Adelaide: OVER - Izak Rankine UNDER - Sam Berry
Brisbane: OVER - Jarrod Berry UNDER - Lincoln McCarthy
Carlton: OVER - Adam Cerra UNDER - Matt Cottrell
Collingwood: OVER - Jeremy Howe UNDER - Patrick Lipinski
Essendon: OVER - Mason Redman UNDER - Nic Martin
Fremantle: OVER - Sean Darcy UNDER - Will Brodie
Geelong: OVER - Brandan Parfitt UNDER - Brad Close
Gold Coast: OVER - Jack Lukosius UNDER - Wil Powell
GWS Giants: OVER - Josh Kelly UNDER - Harry Himmelberg
Hawthorn: OVER - Will Day UNDER - Dylan Moore
Melbourne: OVER - Christian Salem UNDER - James Harmes
North Melbourne: OVER - Jy Simpkin UNDER - Nick Larkey
Port Adelaide: OVER - Aliir Aliir UNDER - Sam Powell-Pepper
Richmond: OVER - Jayden Short UNDER - Nathan Broad
St Kilda: OVER - Hunter Clark UNDER - Dan McKenzie
Sydney: OVER - Isaac Heeney UNDER - James Rowbottom
West Coast: OVER - Luke Shuey UNDER - Jack Darling
Western Bulldogs: OVER - Bailey Smith UNDER - Bailey Dale

Adelaide: OVER - Doedee UNDER - Rory Laird
Brisbane: OVER - Hipwood UNDER - Starcevich
Carlton: OVER - Cerra UNDER - Zac Fisher
Collingwood: OVER - can't think of any UNDER - Maynard
Essendon: OVER - Ridley UNDER - Redman
Fremantle: OVER - Walters UNDER - Walker
Geelong: OVER - Selwood UNDER - Bews
Gold Coast: OVER - Jack Lukosius UNDER - Collins
Hawthorn: OVER - Will Day UNDER - Sicily
Melbourne: OVER - Christian Salem UNDER - Petty
North Melbourne: OVER - Jy Simpkin UNDER - Cunnington
Port Adelaide: OVER - Dixon UNDER - Bonner
Richmond: OVER - Graham UNDER - Pickett
St Kilda: OVER - Zac Jones UNDER - Wilkie
Sydney: OVER - Heeney UNDER - Fox
West Coast: OVER - Tim Kelly UNDER - West
Western Bulldogs: OVER - Caleb Daniel UNDER - Duryeah

I'm hungover don't come at me.

Still waiting for you to explain what "get off on a technicality" is you silly Richmunt - as if, boofheads repeat things often enough they are the troof. The troof is that the ump right next to the collision didn't think it was report worthy - the ex Collingwood boofhead flog who makes the calls for Gil the Dill didn't even watch all the video evidence, the Tribunal didn't want the video evidence presented in making its Gil the Dill decision - and the appeal rightfully made them all look foolish/contrived and generally unprofessional and stoopid.

NOTHING 'lucky' about Cripps being exonerated at all - despite whatever media witch-hunting click-baiting idjots expected and opposition hoped for.
Personal attacks - classy.

He got off on a technicality. Quoted from his QC - "The finding was unreasonable and did not comply with the requirements of procedural fairness,” Kellam said, adding there was “an error of law”.

MRO gave him 2 weeks, tribunal upheld the 2 weeks, and then the appeals board struck it down because the tribunal screwed up procedurally. All power to the Carlton lawyers, they did their job beautifully. However if the AFL tribunal didn't have gaping holes in its procedure then Cripps would've rightfully got suspended. Remember, he cleaned a guy up in the head who had the ball and concussed him for 2 weeks.

Personal attacks - classy.

He got off on a technicality. Quoted from his QC - "The finding was unreasonable and did not comply with the requirements of procedural fairness,” Kellam said, adding there was “an error of law”.

MRO gave him 2 weeks, tribunal upheld the 2 weeks, and then the appeals board struck it down because the tribunal screwed up procedurally. All power to the Carlton lawyers, they did their job beautifully. However if the AFL tribunal didn't have gaping holes in its procedure then Cripps would've rightfully got suspended. Remember, he cleaned a guy up in the head who had the ball and concussed him for 2 weeks.

So errors in law are technicalities in your world - ok.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So errors in law are technicalities in your world - ok.
Considering the AFL CEO said that it was due to a legal technicality - I'm pretty damn confident in my claim. Even just do a google search and you'll see "technicality" pop up time and again.

AFL then launched an investigation into their own judicial system so that this sort of thing wouldn't reoccur.

Back to the thread:

Overrated: AFL tribunal system intelligence
Underrated: This blues fan ability to delude himself

^not an attack, just an observation

Adelaide:
Over: Laird
Under: Fogarty
Brisbane:
Over: McCluggage
Under: Bailey
Carlton:
Over: Weitering
Under: Kennedy
Collingwood:
Over: Crisp
Under: Cox
Essendon:
Over: Parish
Under: McGrath
Fremantle:
Over: Jackson
Under: Aish
Geelong:
Over: SDK
Under: Tuohy
Gold Coast:
Over: Witts
Under: Budarick
GWS:
Over: Hayes
Under: Himmelberg
Hawthorn:
Over: Jiath
Under: Moore
Melbourne:
Over: Fristch
Under: Viney
North:
Over: Simpkin
Under: Taylor
Port:
Over: DBJ
Under: SPP
Richmond:
Over: Soldo
Under: Nank
Stkilda:
Over: Membrey
Under: Crouch
Sydney:
Over: Blakey
Under: Rowbottom
WC:
Over: Gaff
Under: Cripps
WB:
Over: Macrae
Under: Treloar

Adelaide:
Over: Laird
Under: Fogarty
Brisbane:
Over: McCluggage
Under: Bailey
Carlton:
Over: Weitering
Under: Kennedy
Collingwood:
Over: Crisp
Under: Cox
Essendon:
Over: Parish
Under: McGrath
Fremantle:
Over: Jackson
Under: Aish
Geelong:
Over: SDK
Under: Tuohy
Gold Coast:
Over: Witts
Under: Budarick
GWS:
Over: Hayes
Under: Himmelberg
Hawthorn:
Over: Jiath
Under: Moore
Melbourne:
Over: Fristch
Under: Viney
North:
Over: Simpkin
Under: Taylor
Port:
Over: DBJ
Under: SPP
Richmond:
Over: Soldo
Under: Nank
Stkilda:
Over: Membrey
Under: Crouch
Sydney:
Over: Blakey
Under: Rowbottom
WC:
Over: Gaff
Under: Cripps
WB:
Over: Macrae
Under: Treloar
Interesting that a number have put Witts as underrated yet you’ve gone the reverse. What’s your thinking there?

Interesting that a number have put Witts as underrated yet you’ve gone the reverse. What’s your thinking there?

He's spoken about as a top 6-7 ruck in the comp and while he racks up taps and is good around stoppage, I think rucks need to be taking marks and kicking goals or be disproportionately aggressive and physical and he doesn't really do any of that.

He's spoken about as a top 6-7 ruck in the comp and while he racks up taps and is good around stoppage, I think rucks need to be taking marks and kicking goals or be disproportionately aggressive and physical and he doesn't really do any of that.
Fair enough.
His stoppage work ranks as “elite” ie. top 10% of rucks according to AFL stats.

But possessions, marks, goals etc.. are all average to below average for his position,
B3362710-C431-4DAC-98CE-AC21C9CC8A19.jpeg

This is such a wild take - not having a go at you at all would just like to hear your reasoning why.

As somebody who watched a lot of WBD games I would have Macrae a mile in front of Treloar as a footballer.
What's Treloar's highest b&f finish in his career?

This is such a wild take - not having a go at you at all would just like to hear your reasoning why.

As somebody who watched a lot of WBD games I would have Macrae a mile in front of Treloar as a footballer.

Not implying that Treloar is a better player than Macrae...

I think you over possess the ball, Macrae, Hunter and Daniel are the main culprits and why I think you've under performed based on my expectations. In a patch in 2018 Macrae was the best player in the competition, he's settled into a production over impact player and hasn't gotten close to that again and isn't really deserving of 3 AA's which place him as one of the best mids of the last 20 years.

As for Treloar, he's much maligned as a butcher, but I think he's been one of your better players when it comes to lifting when needed and jagging some important goals/breaking lines at key times.

Adelaide: Laird OR, Berry UR.
Brisbane: Andrews OR, Coleman UR.
Carlton: can’t choose an OR, Young UR.
Collingwood: De Goey OR, Ginnivan UR.
Essendon: Perkins OR, Shiel UR.
Fremantle: Brodie OR, Cox UR.
GWS: Kelly OR, Himmelberg UR.
Geelong: De Koning OR, Stanley UR.
Gold Coast: Rowell OR, Collins UR.
Hawthorn: Day OR, Hardwick UR.
Melbourne: Lever OR, Brayshaw UR.
North: Zurhaar OR, McKay UR.
Port: Rozee OR, Burton UR.
Richmond: Bolton OR, Broad UR.
St. Kilda: Sinclair OR, Membrey UR.
Sydney: Warner OR, McDonald UR.
West Coast: Allen OR, Duggan UR.
Footscray: Daniel OR, English UR.

Pretty good overall until you labelled young guns as overrated. SDK and Warner will prove the current hype about them us justified IMO. A bit harsh on the injured Allen and Rozee who started to live up to the hype. This time last year would have been a good call I reckon.

Give it a rest mate. Bloke plays the game exactly how it should be played. You could argue about whether the new duty of care rules were breached but it was hardly a "dirty play" as later tribunal stated.

Not too dissimilar to Trent cotchin cleaning up a player in a prelim, when said player couldn't play out the game. Sometimes split second decisions happen in our game that have consequences. Cripps saw ball and went flat out to get ball.

He's a ripper and I couldn't be happier that he plays for my club.

they truly are a special breed. They play on the edge for years but if they aren't wearing black and gold it's sand in the mangina.

Will have a crack because bored.

Adelaide: OVER - Izak Rankine UNDER - Sam Berry
Brisbane: OVER - Jarrod Berry UNDER - Lincoln McCarthy
Carlton: OVER - Adam Cerra UNDER - Matt Cottrell
Collingwood: OVER - Jeremy Howe UNDER - Patrick Lipinski
Essendon: OVER - Mason Redman UNDER - Nic Martin
Fremantle: OVER - Sean Darcy UNDER - Will Brodie
Geelong: OVER - Brandan Parfitt UNDER - Brad Close
Gold Coast: OVER - Jack Lukosius UNDER - Wil Powell
Hawthorn: OVER - Will Day UNDER - Dylan Moore
Melbourne: OVER - Christian Salem UNDER - James Harmes
North Melbourne: OVER - Jy Simpkin UNDER - Nick Larkey
Port Adelaide: OVER - Aliir Aliir UNDER - Sam Powell-Pepper
Richmond: OVER - Jayden Short UNDER - Nathan Broad
St Kilda: OVER - Hunter Clark UNDER - Dan McKenzie
Sydney: OVER - Isaac Heeney UNDER - James Rowbottom
West Coast: OVER - Luke Shuey UNDER - Jack Darling
Western Bulldogs: OVER - Bailey Smith UNDER - Bailey Dale

A quality effort except for maybe Will Day who can play I reckon. I actually think no Hawks are overrated and that Worpel (as one Hawk nominated) might be the best fit but who rates Worpel. I'd have JHF instead of Alir as comparisons to Buckley have been made which is ridiculous.

Great call on the Geelong players. I find Parfitt frustrating as he often turns into trouble and last time I checked he wasn't Cameron Ling. Brad Close is massively underrated, flies totally under the radar and will only get better.

A quality effort except for maybe Will Day who can play I reckon. I actually think no Hawks are overrated and that Worpel (as one Hawk nominated) might be the best fit but who rates Worpel. I'd have JHF instead of Alir as comparisons to Buckley have been made which is ridiculous.

Great call on the Geelong players. I find Parfitt frustrating as he often turns into trouble and last time I checked he wasn't Cameron Ling. Brad Close is massively underrated, flies totally under the radar and will only get better.
Agree with Close. But seriously who is over rating Parfitt? I reckon he is a maligned player at Geelong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back