Opinion Most Underated & Overated player from each team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Should've been suspended. Got off on a legal technicality. Ah Chee missed the next game too with concussion from the bump. Was a dirty play.
Give it a rest mate. Bloke plays the game exactly how it should be played. You could argue about whether the new duty of care rules were breached but it was hardly a "dirty play" as later tribunal stated.

Not too dissimilar to Trent cotchin cleaning up a player in a prelim, when said player couldn't play out the game. Sometimes split second decisions happen in our game that have consequences. Cripps saw ball and went flat out to get ball.

He's a ripper and I couldn't be happier that he plays for my club.

Whenever I’ve watched him play (not a heap admittedly) he’s always torched the footy.
Same here but like you from a small sample size. He's not as bad as Worpel though. If Newcombe torches the ball Worpel is a flame thrower.

I get the Hawks clearing the decks but I'm not sure that what's left is even the basis of moving them forwards.

Whenever I’ve watched him play (not a heap admittedly) he’s always torched the footy.

He is prone to a shank here and there, but you need to consider that he's only been involved in an elite training system since his name was called out during the mid-season draft in 2021.

Never played made an elite junior squad.
Was a top up trainer for Box Hill but won a list spot through sheer effort and determination.

To achieve a coaches association player of the year award, 11 Brownlow votes and 2nd in a B&F after only 18 months in the system is pretty inspiring. I'm not entirely sure how it qualifies for him either title in this thread to be honest.

His kicking is only going to improve.

So B&F results are not relevant any more as they were earlier today - ok, gotcha. Everyone can change their mind, so all good.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Absolutely, the Carji Greeves medal for winning the 1984 B&F is listed there amongst the many other individual accolades he holds

Give it a rest mate. Bloke plays the game exactly how it should be played. You could argue about whether the new duty of care rules were breached but it was hardly a "dirty play" as later tribunal stated.

Not too dissimilar to Trent cotchin cleaning up a player in a prelim, when said player couldn't play out the game. Sometimes split second decisions happen in our game that have consequences. Cripps saw ball and went flat out to get ball.

He's a ripper and I couldn't be happier that he plays for my club.
Lmao. Cripps was late to the ball, jumped, tucked his shoulder, and cleaned Ah Chee up in the head. Had plenty of other options and got lucky the AFL tribunal system is garbage.

Funny you bring up Cotchin, always seems to be the poster boy for supposed tribunal errors. Difference being was that Cotchin actually went lower, turned his body to protect himself while winning the ball. Shiel came off the collision clutching his shoulder, and was then involved in a heavy bump from Astbury later in the quarter which contributed to the concussion.

Lmao. Cripps was late to the ball, jumped, tucked his shoulder, and cleaned Ah Chee up in the head. Had plenty of other options and got lucky the AFL tribunal system is garbage.

Funny you bring up Cotchin, always seems to be the poster boy for supposed tribunal errors. Difference being was that Cotchin actually went lower, turned his body to protect himself while winning the ball. Shiel came off the collision clutching his shoulder, and was then involved in a heavy bump from Astbury later in the quarter which contributed to the concussion.
So thanks for the clarification. It's (of course) player from my team angelic. Player from your team dirty.

Thanks for conforming to the big footy stereotype.

Absolutely, the Carji Greeves medal for winning the 1984 B&F is listed there amongst the many other individual accolades he holds

Yes, but from 1993-1995 when he was winning Coleman’s and kicking 10+ every second week, he was overrated when talked about as a GOAT as he couldn’t even with the B&F those seasons …

Yes, but from 1993-1995 when he was winning Coleman’s and kicking 10+ every second week, he was overrated when talked about as a GOAT as he couldn’t even with the B&F those seasons …

Sure, All Australian honours is another huge piece of evidence that he was going ok

Sure, All Australian honours is another huge piece of evidence that he was going ok

And Bolton made AA… I think you’ve tied yourself in knots with this one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m fine with some thinking Bolton as over rated. I’d like him to convert more of his chances, then he’d take his game to another level. Misses too many shots.

On the question for my team….

Overrated- Baker and Short. Perhaps they are being played out of position or but their skill sets aren’t being used effectively- Shorts hoof and Bakers attack on the contest. I’d also like to see Rioli back up his decent year at half back as some Richmond supporters are claiming he’s already the second coming of Houli.

Underrated- Macintosh and Broad. KMacs hard defensive running covers an exit when the oppo has the ball and he’s more likely than not to win a one on one contest. Every team has these sorts of team oriented players. Broad for quietly going about his job in defence, with little outside recognition to his importance to the back 6.

I’m fine with some thinking Bolton as over rated. I’d like him to convert more of his chances, then he’d take his game to another level. Misses too many shots.

On the question for my team….

Overrated- Baker and Short. Perhaps they are being played out of position or but their skill sets aren’t being used effectively- Shorts hoof and Bakers attack on the contest. I’d also like to see Rioli back up his decent year at half back as some Richmond supporters are claiming he’s already the second coming of Houli.

Underrated- Macintosh and Broad. KMacs hard defensive running covers an exit when the oppo has the ball and he’s more likely than not to win a one on one contest. Every team has these sorts of team oriented players. Broad for quietly going about his job in defence, with little outside recognition to his importance to the back 6.
As I mentioned in my initial post regarding this topic, Bolton is a good player, a neat player but some are considering him the best player in the competition territory when in reality he isn't.

Adelaide: Laird OR, Berry UR.
Brisbane: Andrews OR, Coleman UR.
Carlton: can’t choose an OR, Young UR.
Collingwood: De Goey OR, Ginnivan UR.
Essendon: Perkins OR, Shiel UR.
Fremantle: Brodie OR, Cox UR.
GWS: Kelly OR, Himmelberg UR.
Geelong: De Koning OR, Stanley UR.
Gold Coast: Rowell OR, Collins UR.
Hawthorn: Day OR, Hardwick UR.
Melbourne: Lever OR, Brayshaw UR.
North: Zurhaar OR, McKay UR.
Port: Rozee OR, Burton UR.
Richmond: Bolton OR, Broad UR.
St. Kilda: Sinclair OR, Membrey UR.
Sydney: Warner OR, McDonald UR.
West Coast: Allen OR, Duggan UR.
Footscray: Daniel OR, English UR.
We can help you.

Cerra, De Koning, Docherty, Marchbank, Martin, McGovern, Williams, Pittonet....

Bailey Smith is overrated but has massive potential. I'd say Adam Treloar but nobody rates him anymore.

Ed Richards is definitely underrated. Has All-Australian potential.

Should've been suspended. Got off on a legal technicality. Ah Chee missed the next game too with concussion from the bump. Was a dirty play.

Should never have been cited in the first place if you care to look at all angles - something that the MRC and Tribunal refused to do and were therefore rightfully smashed to pieces over their agenda-driven BS. Whereas that dirty little sniper Cockchin or whatever his name is - purposefully smashed Shiel in the same way that good bloke Hodgey did to Murphy - being able to disguise a dog act is not the same as something not being a dog act - but then again I guess you need some understanding of the game - which clearly you don't have - in order to see properly.

As I mentioned in my initial post regarding this topic, Bolton is a good player, a neat player but some are considering him the best player in the competition territory when in reality he isn't.
I’m not sure what your contention is with my post. It was in agreement with your view. I’d like him to convert more opportunities in front of goal. He really should have had 50+ goals to his name. This year he wasn’t the best player in our team let alone the comp.

Def is fun watching him play though.

I’m not sure what your contention is with my post. It was in agreement with your view. I’d like him to convert more opportunities in front of goal. He really should have had 50+ goals to his name. This year he wasn’t the best player in our team let alone the comp.

Def is fun watching him play though.
my apologies, usually when someone is debating it gets taken unreasonably. Didn't mean to sound disingenuous in my response. Absolutely believe he could be a top 5 player in the comp.

Bolton is not a neat player. He is a game changer. Can do things only a few can do.

Is he inconsistent & wasteful ? Of course. But he is still 2-3 years away from his prime years.

Same here but like you from a small sample size. He's not as bad as Worpel though. If Newcombe torches the ball Worpel is a flame thrower.

I get the Hawks clearing the decks but I'm not sure that what's left is even the basis of moving them forwards.
His kicking is actually excellent if he thinks about where he is directing it. He is prone to bombing it just to get territory which is where the idea he shanks it all the time comes from. Over short distances he is fine. Doesn't miss many. Worpel on the other hand is poor by foot. It's going to need to get alot better if he can get back to his 2019 level of play which was great.

Bolton is not a neat player. He is a game changer. Can do things only a few can do.

Is he inconsistent & wasteful ? Of course. But he is still 2-3 years away from his prime years.
Bolton could kick 60 with ease if can kick straight and make the most of his opportunities. Bloke is an athletic freak. Reminds me of a pogo stick the way he jumps around. Than in the same breath can run like the wind and has silky smooth skills to boot. Has all the tools to be absolutely elite.

Should never have been cited in the first place if you care to look at all angles - something that the MRC and Tribunal refused to do and were therefore rightfully smashed to pieces over their agenda-driven BS. Whereas that dirty little sniper Cockchin or whatever his name is - purposefully smashed Shiel in the same way that good bloke Hodgey did to Murphy - being able to disguise a dog act is not the same as something not being a dog act - but then again I guess you need some understanding of the game - which clearly you don't have - in order to see properly.
That's triple premiership captain to you.

Just accept the fact that Cripps got extremely lucky - doesn't take away from his brownlow in Carlton's best season in a decade (9th). If you ever need a reminder of Carlton's greatest season just look at my avatar - should bring back good memories :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back