List Mgmt. Motlop: signed, sealed and delivered

Remove this Banner Ad

Good news, appears either the Addy or Ralphy have some incorrect info.

Well Ralph clearly does as we know both from Motlop and Hocking that talks have been underway for some time.

Good news, appears either the Addy or Ralphy have some incorrect info.

"Cats not totally desperate to keep him"?
From what was said by the club- and I think Brian Cook said "we won't be signing him at all costs"- I took it to mean that the club weren't just going to hand Motlop an open cheque. I can't see a "not totally desperate to keep him" interpretation in there.
I guess the media have to sell their papers, etc. though, and saying the club won't break the bank for him isn't very exciting news, is it?

If they are offering $450k and Motlop wants $550k, I'm a little bit surprised that it doesn't get "done". It may also be that Motlop won't budge a cent under $550k so its not possible to split the difference. However, if it is that close, I can see it just getting done.

I think there are two possible scenarios in my mind:

1. they just want him out the door and possibly have someone else they are targeting. I am all for Dangerfield, Selwood etc but they aren't similar types to Motlop and IMO there isn't a Motlop type ready to go. Geelong would almost need to bring in a Motlop type, or

2. Moltop's manager has played up interest from other clubs to try get Geelong to up their offer a bit and it hasn't really worked. For example, manager says Team X has offered $650k, you are offering $450k, how about split the difference at $550k. However, there may be an absence of any real offer at say $650k and perhaps Geelong believe there is no offer at that. The teams speculated IMO would have him as a low priority such as Collingwood and Richmond. I also think he is starting to get linked with everyone which makes me think its all a manager's game.

More confident than ever he will stay or they will get something decent in return.

If they are offering $450k and Motlop wants $550k, I'm a little bit surprised that it doesn't get "done". It may also be that Motlop won't budge a cent under $550k so its not possible to split the difference. However, if it is that close, I can see it just getting done.

I think there are two possible scenarios in my mind:

1. they just want him out the door and possibly have someone else they are targeting. I am all for Dangerfield, Selwood etc but they aren't similar types to Motlop and IMO there isn't a Motlop type ready to go. Geelong would almost need to bring in a Motlop type, or

2. Moltop's manager has played up interest from other clubs to try get Geelong to up their offer a bit and it hasn't really worked. For example, manager says Team X has offered $650k, you are offering $450k, how about split the difference at $550k. However, there may be an absence of any real offer at say $650k and perhaps Geelong believe there is no offer at that. The teams speculated IMO would have him as a low priority such as Collingwood and Richmond. I also think he is starting to get linked with everyone which makes me think its all a manager's game.

More confident than ever he will stay or they will get something decent in return.

I don't think there is a need to play up the interest from other clubs. Every club in the comp would be interested in picking him up!

I don't think there is a need to play up the interest from other clubs. Every club in the comp would be interested in picking him up!
Yes I agree every team in the AFL would be interested generally speaking. I should have been more clear as I meant in relation to his salary.

I'm just not sure how many would be at $650-$750k price range for say a 5 year deal given his inconsistency. It's a big risk and one seemingly Geelong won't take. Honestly, I just don't see where he goes given who other teams are supposedly chasing.

I think a lot clubs would sniff around, its just they may baulk at the asking price. I just wouldn't be surprised if the market for Motlop is a little drier than is made out in the media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a bit disappointing that these stories are even circulating. Motlop could repay the faith the club has shown in him by coming out now and stating that he expects to sign with Geelong, it's just a matter of everyone being happy with the deal.

Where in the article does it insinuate that? I can't see it.

When you insinuate something you hint at something either by undertones or oblique references. In Clark's article nowhere does it say the Cats remain hopeful of keeping Motlop; Clark says, "The Cats remain hopeful of snaring Adelaide superstar free agent Patrick Dangerfield and Carlton swingman Lachie Henderson, but have made it clear they will not keep Motlop at any cost"

I asked a colleague at work who doesn't follow football how she interpreted the article and she read it that Motlop is gone.

When you insinuate something you hint at something either by undertones or oblique references. In Clark's article nowhere does it say the Cats remain hopeful of keeping Motlop; Clark says, "The Cats remain hopeful of snaring Adelaide superstar free agent Patrick Dangerfield and Carlton swingman Lachie Henderson, but have made it clear they will not keep Motlop at any cost"

I asked a colleague at work who doesn't follow football how she interpreted the article and she read it that Motlop is gone.

If he does go, I hope we have our eye on an outside, goal kicking winger that can come in and play from rd1 next season because Cockatoo ain't ready to do it yet.

I know what insinuate means. I'm no fan of Clark but I still think you are being a little unfair on him saying that he is insinuating that he is definitely gone. "Definitely" being the operative word. Anyways, we all interpret things differently I suppose...

I know what insinuate means. I'm no fan of Clark but I still think you are being a little unfair on him saying that he is insinuating that he is definitely gone. "Definitely" being the operative word. Anyways, we all interpret things differently I suppose...

Fair enough. I guess all I would like to have seen is acknowledgment that Geelong is still hopeful of keeping him, particularly when 7 days ago there was an article by Peter Ryan on the AFL site saying Chris Scott was still hopeful of re-signing him.

Fair enough. I guess all I would like to have seen is acknowledgment that Geelong is still hopeful of keeping him, particularly when 7 days ago there was an article by Peter Ryan on the AFL site saying Chris Scott was still hopeful of re-signing him.

That's fair enough. Clark would probably say that goes without saying but I agree that a line of that nature would be reassuring for Cats fans. I tend to not get too emotionally involved these days in trade talk. Most of the stuff that is in the print press these days (particularly the HUN) is idle speculation to fill paper. I'm sure if you asked most teams whether they would like Motlop they would reply in the affirmative.

It's a bit disappointing that these stories are even circulating. Motlop could repay the faith the club has shown in him by coming out now and stating that he expects to sign with Geelong, it's just a matter of everyone being happy with the deal.

He did in yesterday mornings Addy

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-07-22/scott-confident-motlop-will-stay

GEELONG coach Chris Scott is confident exciting midfielder Steven Motlop will stay with the Cats long-term despite the fact the 24-year-old remains unsigned beyond 2015.

Scott said he remains at arms-length from the contract negotiations but Motlop's actions were a positive indication that he enjoys playing with the Cats.

"What I can assess is what we see from players in terms of their commitment during the week, their attitude to training, the way they play, especially the way they defend and do some of the less flashy things out on the ground," Scott said.

"I can't really fault him too much. Every indication that I get is very positive that he loves playing here and he will play here long into the future."

Certainly doesn't sound like a situation where we're not keen to keep him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back