Toast Mumford v the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 1, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts F.C, GWS
just watched the Hawks game again, and IMO Shane Mumford played one of the most important roles I've ever seen a ruckman play in all my years. Completely set the tone with his aggression and attack on the ball/player. In each quarter when the Hawks got off to a start it was Mummy that lifted and put a stop to it, usually by crunching Langford.

We saw last week that the Hawks aren't afraid to impose themselves on opposition teams, and going into the match I was a bit worried the Giants would be susceptible to that. Well Mummy completely turned that on its head, and the rest of the Giants players responded to match his intensity. Classic example was when Schoenmakers slammed into Cameron, GWS players were lining up to fly the flag, in an impressive display that seemed to scream 'not today Hawthorn'.

But it wasn't just Mummy's lead-by-example aggression, he absolutely dominated the hit outs, and that game was won in the midfield. Anyway, just wanted to tip my hate to the big fella, was a sensational game from him, and its importance can't be overstated.

Same with north, same with the dogs, same w Adelaide

Plenty of sides invest in one dominant ruck man. The vest stopped a lot of teams developing two rucks so we aren't alone

That said I thoughts Phillips' tap work was ok when he has played this year and it's his forward work that needs development

Is anyone concerned by our lack of depth after Mummy in the ruck? If he goes down there's not much behind him.

I think that Tomlinson and Patton were being developed as relief rucks to take some pressure off Mumford.
Tomlinson has been developing into an excellent utility so can't wait to see him back. There is concern and, if history suggests anything, I suspect he'll have to be rested at some point to give Lobb and Phillips some more exposure.

Mummy was indeed, awesome. I think Langford will have those bruises all season.

Is anyone concerned by our lack of depth after Mummy in the ruck? If he goes down there's not much behind him.

Yes, but that's true of a lot of clubs. It's hard to keep a second good ruck on your list if your game plan leads to playing a single one most of the time.

The big fella was at his bullocking best on Saturday, plenty of impactful moments right down to the spoil out of bounds on the kickout as the final siren neared.

Wasn't lying when he said he felt the fittest he's been during the preseason.

What price a medical, hey? Could have been wearing a different jumper on the weekend.

One of my favourite players (even if somewhat begrudgingly on the weekend). On the borderline of fair, but very, very HARD at the contest.

After the media hyperbole last week, Hawthorn played with a hand-behind-the-back, and Mummy took full advantage. A few saw and sorry boys on the plane trip home.

It's almost like he enjoys it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What price a medical, hey? Could have been wearing a different jumper on the weekend.

One of my favourite players (even if somewhat begrudgingly on the weekend). On the borderline of fair, but very, very HARD at the contest.

After the media hyperbole last week, Hawthorn played with a hand-behind-the-back, and Mummy took full advantage. A few saw and sorry boys on the plane trip home.

It's almost like he enjoys it.
What medical mate?

To be fair:

View attachment 133447
Martin had a cracker game.

As has been said. Mummy's tackles were epic and his crunching of the packs, little knock ons and general fear and terror inducing game was awesome.

Didn't see the Lions game so I won't comment on Martin's performance but he had to have done a lot off the ball to come close to what Mummy did on the weekend.

More tackles, more 1% - different game. But I reckon without Mummy there on Saturday, we don't win.

He was also up against better competition too. No offence to Martin, but it was only Carlton.

Good luck to him, though, he made the team and Mummy didn't - I'd still have my bloke rather than yours.

Hey, didnt post stats to start a fight, just point out they likely go off stats more than how the players played if they dont see every game. Respectively, each club would prefer their own players, of course.

Didn't realize I was participating in a fight. No fight here. Just a respectful difference of opinion.

I don't think anyone has said "pi$$ off troll" or anything even remotely approaching that. Trust me, you'd know if we thought you were picking a fight.

Didn't realize I was participating in a fight. No fight here. Just a respectful difference of opinion.

I don't think anyone has said "pi$$ off troll" or anything even remotely approaching that. Trust me, you'd know if we thought you were picking a fight.

I meant, I wasnt trying to say "Martin is better than Mumford and heres why" more just to show the stat difference and why they may have weighted into the decision of which got the spot in team of the week.

hard to believe that Mumford is 1001 for the brownlow and 250 for a place. His influence on games cant be understated..

when was the last time a genuine ruckmen won the brownlow? goodes got it on 03 but he was a pitch hitter.
Mummy is 1001 not because people don't rate him but because ruckmen rarely get it. its been over 20 years since a genuine ruck won the brownlow.

To be fair:

View attachment 133447
Martin had a cracker game.

He did, been playing extremely well all year and has arguably been the best fwd/ruck around teh ground for the last 10 months or so.

I think the key with Mumford is as noted below, the hesitancy (fear may be too big a word) he creates at the contest, he is an oversized midfielder and love to try and lay a tackle at every opportunity. His presence at the contest often changes outcomes without him getting a stat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back