NAB Challenge - Carlton v West Coast Friday 7.10PM est - Mandurah

Remove this Banner Ad

My takeaways ...... actually I should have grabbed more (stubbies that is) cause that was hard to watch

1 playing on suburban grounds is not pretty and Mandurah in the wind just makes it worse
2 umpires appear to have forgotten that the holding the ball rule is to be more strictly interpreted - it makes for a very ugly game especially in those conditions
Now to the Blues
3 Cripps and Bell looked like they could compete but not as the A team (lets hope they all get another chance during pre- season as support midfield - their true roll at the moment)
4 Liam looked okay but the forward line got very limited chances - Watson and Casboult got no delivery
5 Boekhurst went on a great run and with more outlet passes he might be worth a shot
6 Smith looked good in close and he applied some good forward pressure - needs to build the tank big time though so maybe next year
7 tuohy looked to have some buzz about him today
8 Yarren was involved quite a lot early down back
9 Jaksch looked very good at times down back
10 Rowe looked all at sea against Kennedy (maybe he was trying too hard to be the captain and not worrying about his opponent - tough with that wind for defenders though and Kennedy is pretty good)

if no injuries then I think the game was a success (thats if blowing the cobwebs out and giving a few rookies/kids a run but not really taking it serious was the plan)

A 31 point loss probably flattered us somewhat, but realistically I was expecting at least a 10 goal caning given the quality of players who weren't playing.

As noted by Bluesque, Jaksch showed some really good signs, getting better as the game went on.
Smith, I like his style. He has some great little tricks & he does worry the opposition with his perceived physicality (his reputation precedes him).
Boekhorst, didn't look out of place. His run in the 3rd quarter had me thinking of a certain young wingman who player in our '95 premiership. He will love the fast surface at Etihad Stadium.
Tutt flashed in & out of the game. The one thing I did take from his possessions tonight is that he needs to steady when he is kicking on the run. A lot of his kicks miscued because he was still at full tilt when kicking.
Fields, as I stated earlier in this thread, didn't look out of place out there. His size means he is a ready-made injury top-up should injuries become an issue.
Dick, like Tutt, flashed in & out of the game, but didn't do anything to suggest he will be challenging for the 22 for Round 1.
Byrne found the pace & heat of the game a bit too much to handle. I still prefer him as a half forward rather than in defence.
Skittles unfortunately didn't get much game time & by this time the game had degenerated into something that was barely watchable.
Jones was not assisted by our lack of quality in the midfield & was matched up early by McKenzie, something that won't happen with Henderson in the forward line (it would be nice if Hendo did get the opposition's 2nd or 3rd tall).

1. We cloned Lachie. Great debut from KJ.

2. No injuries

3. Boeky can tackle.

Not sure why some expected more given we were missing arguably our best 11 (minus Yazz) and WCE full strength minus 1 or 2 (& played against real opposition last week).

I'd probably be more upset if I was a WCE supporter - potentially losing Mckenzie for the year is way worse than losing tonight.

We can carry Bell... especially now that we wont be carrying both bell and robbo at the same time.

Very true, I was thinking that. At least when bell closes his eyes and boots it blindly forward it goes 10m further than robbo.

He does find the goals and is very strong at the contest. A project worth persisting with in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got what we needed somewhat. As a group you'd be addressing a few things like accountability, we just lost opponents and allowed them to play up the middle. Spoiling, we kicked long a lot and did not only mark very few but failed to bring the ball to ground a hell of a lot as well as failing to spoil forwards. Going to their knees, a lot of our guys went to their knees, Graham, Cripps, Curnow all guilty of it. Handballing was a really disappointing, AFL players even at this stage of the season should be able to hit targets. Long blind kicking, it's ok to kick long but it has to be to a Carlton player, a lot were guilty of this, Buckley, Graham just blazed away at times straight to opposition.

Good signs were Curnow looks in good shape. Bell got the footy but his skills are hard to swallow, still offers something. Touhy moved fairly well. Wood was pretty decent, can mark the footy. Jaksch was really good, no problem playing the guy in the seniors, he can play. Smith will make it, real burst of speed with clean ball handling and aggression, has to be a chance for round 1. Boekhorst has some tools but he's got one of the worst bounces I've seen though, he loses control of the footy when he bounces it, tackling technique needs work, still a little light but can run. DVR looks reasonable but not ready yet. Graham needs to go harder at the footy and stop trying to be so clever. 80% 90% attack on the ball never beats decent AFL players.

It was messy, it was really difficult for our forwards, we spent a lot of time chasing arse and struggled to win and maintain possession of the footy but we saw a lot of new/fringe players who had the opportunity to play against superior and more experienced opponents and we didn't get smashed which was good.

1. We cloned Lachie. Great debut from KJ.

2. No injuries

3. Boeky can tackle.

Not sure why some expected more given we were missing arguably our best 11 (minus Yazz) and WCE full strength minus 1 or 2 (& played against real opposition last week).

shame Menzel wasn't playing...

75 to 41 if this was a real game.

Think some of our newer outside players a la Boekhurst and Docherty will benefit greatly by having some better midfield players in the team.

Happy with the way Clem Smith finished but he has some work to do. Again will benefit by better players in the team who can bring him into the game.

Not happy with our forward entry. Our midfield depth needs to improve on this.

Overall. It's hard to gauge what tonight means at all. Some positives but mostly the questions we have been asking remain un answered.

Boekhusts run and carry was promising.

Who cares it's only nab cup.

For those without Fox

Jaksch is a lock for 3rd tall. Plenty of pace and agility:thumbsu:
Cripps.......will be a gun, tank still needs some building, but will keep on giving all he has, will need to be managed
For all of his issues, Tommy Bell has plenty of breathing room over Graham at this stage.
Tuohy running "on top of the ground", his spot is safe for now.
Curnow, White, Wood, Simmo,......what you see is what you get.
Pencil in Casboult. Jones and Watson failed to get in to the game, although game and delivery not a help. Being
released up the ground allowed Levi to work his way in.
Boekhorst has a way to go but > Tutt and should improve with exposure.
"Young leaders" Buckley, Docherty and Graham lacked the composure we might expect.
Decent signs from Byrne (1 clanger) will be a player, but will need time in VFL.
Yarran has never moved better, classy, but put his mates under pressure a couple of times. Good game.
Clem will be a "gun", but be patient everyone. Needs more involvement and conditioning.
Dick and Army toiled away solidly. Fields looks capable but needs to find a little more composure, injured?
Sheehan, Johnson & DVR limited game time.
The skipper for a day struggled against a very talented opponent.

Our delivery and game style remain in question. Expected better, but our inexperienced boy were under a lot of pressure,
particularly early.

When you consider the experience of the two teams, the Eagles are in trouble R2.

Murphy, Judd, Carrazzo, Jamison, Henderson, Gibbs, Thomas, Everitt, Menzel, Walker?, Kreuzer?, Ellard?, Whiley?, Warnock? to add

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well, we have only played 4 inside type players in grahem, bell, curnow and cripps

can't really expect to get first hands on the ball against a strong eagles midfield...

... probably a spot in the team for walsh too
mmmmm

Last edited:
A few things:

1) Tried streaming this from Thailand and that AFL Global streaming or whatever it is is rubbish. But I got to watch some of it at least.

2) I'm in the middle of a fair bender so I took solace in the fact that I didn't recognise half the players out there so we obviously went pretty young (didn't even see the squad beforehand).

3) I like Boekhorst.

4) I also like Smith, doesn't take a backwards step, just what we need.

We can carry Bell... especially now that we wont be carrying both bell and robbo at the same time.
He's a stronger Carrots. Ball magnet with crap disposal who can work at it and improve.

Whiley said he was disappointed and we have a lot of work to do

A lot of you think just bec it is pre season and we had a lot of senior players out this game means nothing

In the competitive big business of AFL it is absurd to think that

Terribly disappointing that the only players who didn't play much or at all for us last year who really showed anything were Cripps and Jaksch

Smith and Boek showed some skill but that's whe it starts and ends

Graham and Buckley did very little. Both had a lot of game time and they didn't do much. we needed these types to step up . So much for midfield depth.

In what is the no.1 membership drive period Whiley it would appear just couldn't pretend all was rosey. This was not a good performance.

But of course most of the village idiots at BF will just shrug it off as meaning nothing.

These games are about kids putting their hands up. Hardly anyone put their hand up tonight.

He's a stronger Carrots. Ball magnet with crap disposal who can work at it and improve.

He's nothing like Carrots.

One is a tagged the other is not

Bell is a big body with excellent running capacity, very different to Carrazzo

Bell will never be a tagger, that much is so obvious

The only thing they have in common is poor usage but even there it is for diff reasons. Carrazzo has a flawed technique whereas Bell lacks composure and poise and tends to get tackled as a result.

This is football grade 1

These games are about blowing out the cobwebs and giving the kids a taste of it.

The games mean nothing and preseason form generally means very little. Guess I must be a village idiot.

Maybe you are, you tell me?

You think the coaches don't hope/expect certain players to step up?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back