Autopsy NAB Challenge - Game 2- Hawthorn v North, Deakin reserve, Shepparton 4:40pm Sunday 8th March

Remove this Banner Ad

Seemed a bit of a coincidink.

Let's say as a coach you think "gee we could get a flag with this guy's run but he is bit lightly built - don't want him to get a shoulder injury so he misses finals. That'd suck".

Hit finals - go nuts son!!

I don't know whether the club did it but
(A) It would make sense and
(B) The guy was not even slightly shirking in finals games. He was a very different player

What happens if he does his shoulder first quarter of finals week 1?

Seemed a bit of a coincidink.

Let's say as a coach you think "gee we could get a flag with this guy's run but he is bit lightly built - don't want him to get a shoulder injury so he misses finals. That'd suck".

Hit finals - go nuts son!!

I don't know whether the club did it but
(A) It would make sense and
(B) The guy was not even slightly shirking in finals games. He was a very different player

I must admit, I had the very same hunch at the time. Hilly certainly seems to go up a notch in finals/bigger games.

I don't think Thomas can ever be accused of squibbing it and I've always respected his skills and commitment.

However without getting much into the debate as to whether Thomas is the hardest kangaroo since Glenn Archer, funny how the Kangaroo capitulation to Sydney in the prelim actually did work in the Hawks favour.

Dermie (I recall) said it best in commentary during the game. Sydney were like the champion boxer who faced a couple of handpicked soft opponents before the main event. Then when they came up against a real opponent they weren't ready to go toe to toe.

Of course we would have won regardless which North showed up the week before. But I really believe that the Swannies would have shown a bit more in the GF if North had showed up in the prelim.
To be honest we weren't really in a position to. We played our GF against Geelong, but as a club we don't really fear Hawthorn. I think we fear Sydney more, but the fear is getting less. North and Hawthorn players are in the main mates. That's why after every game regardless of who wins they are always having a bit of a laugh and discussion with each other. All clubs do it but those two even moreso. In the whole topic of fear, I think it's the wrong word. Wary is probably a better description - "we can beat them, but if they beat us I wouldn't be surprised"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back