NAB Cup Round 2 - Collingwood vs Melbourne Matchday Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone else notice Wellingham has put on a bit of size? Well at least in his arms/shoulders. Hopefully he has strengthened his core. Will be interesting to watch him this season.

Anyone else notice Wellingham has put on a bit of size? Well at least in his arms/shoulders. Hopefully he has strengthened his core. Will be interesting to watch him this season.
Sharrod always seems to be bigger each pre season, and then seems to shrink as the season goes on.

He's not alone in doing this though, as a lot of players like to do all their weight training in the off season and then they can just concentrate on recovery and getting prepared for games during the season.

But if you look at Sharrod even in last years finals compared to the 09 finals series against Adelaide (most notably his top game against Adelaide) he has put on a lot of weight.

I'm expecting a big year from Sharrod, he didn't do much the other night, but that was his first run for the year, he'll be primed by round 1, and any side in the league would love him in their side.:)

It's rare that we ever bring kids straight into a midfield role though, generally at Collingwood they play roles throughout the rest of the ground until they're ready for full time midfield duties.

There aren't too many kids that can come in an make an impact in the guts from the start.
There are,as always, exceptions to the rule but generally we start them on the flanks.
Dale Thomas started on the Half Forward Flank,with time on the wing, then we sent him to the Half Back Flank during the 09 season to improve his defensive qualities.
He is now one of the best tacklers in the league.

Youngs got the tools physically to make it, but mentally his a real worry. I would be terrified if he was playing for us in a grand final... under pressure he does some ridiculous things. His kicking can be questionable too, does do the old helicopter and can be awkward.

Personally i wouldnt mind seeing him traded, someone like sydney or melbourne could gain a lot from him. Theres also not much room for him in our team.

So Rounds is a contender to Eventually fill a midfield gap? How far off do you guys think he is? I was VERY impressed with him. Fasolo isn't a chump either.

Rounds has a real opportunity. Davis's absence opens up a spot for him in defence a position he has been very good at in the VFL. Krakouers and Macaffers injuries have opened up positions in the forward line another position he has shown a bit at VFL level. With some AFL games under his belt already and some good form he has every opportunity to get a crack and if he performs it will be his.

In regards to midfield not just yet but perhaps in time. It would require a bit more development just yet. He was recruited as an outside midfielder and has great speed, endurance and decent skills.

Youngs got the tools physically to make it, but mentally his a real worry. I would be terrified if he was playing for us in a grand final... under pressure he does some ridiculous things. His kicking can be questionable too, does do the old helicopter and can be awkward.

Personally i wouldnt mind seeing him traded, someone like sydney or melbourne could gain a lot from him. Theres also not much room for him in our team.

This is the stuff i'm talking about, good build but lacks all th polish of a league footballer!

I'm not nearly as concerned about that aspect with Young. He'll work it out with experience. I'd prefer to see a guy take the game on, rather than just straight out s**t himself running in circles. Youngy at least takes on the tackler and does a good job freeing his arms to dispose of the ball.

I'm not nearly as concerned about that aspect with Young. He'll work it out with experience. I'd prefer to see a guy take the game on, rather than just straight out s**t himself running in circles. Youngy at least takes on the tackler and does a good job freeing his arms to dispose of the ball.

I just got to watch the game and was waiting for Young to be really s**t.

:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:Poor form by posters giving it to him. I didn't actually see him do much wrong at all. Most of his kicks hit the target albeit they may have looked a bit wonky. As TRS said he hit the game hard, he has some toe and awareness about him and I thought he had pretty quick hands. I think we are trying to remember the bad things he does.

Completely and utterly uncalled for some of these comments.

Further - Hartley is already better than Keeffe, he will be a belter!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree. It's not as though he's a player like Simon Buckley who has spent years on AFL lists, played plenty of senior games and still has a massive problem in his game. Young has spent 1 season on the list, is 19 (nearly 20) and has played 2 games.

What about when he kicked straight to Stefan Martin:eek:
What qtr? I've only watched to half way through 3rd qtr then had dinner, watching the rest now...

Swan turned a few over and he is a brownlow medalist, it's not the biggest sin.

What qtr? I've only watched to half way through 3rd qtr then had dinner, watching the rest now...

Swan turned a few over and he is a brownlow medalist, it's not the biggest sin.

In the 4th QTR

In the 4th QTR

HAha what a howler!! Oh well I forgive him, it wasn't his kicking, it would have to do with his concentration at that exact moment. Just before that kick however, he won his own ball 2 on 1 and won a free kick for going harder at it than anyone else near the ball.

I agree. It's not as though he's a player like Simon Buckley who has spent years on AFL lists, played plenty of senior games and still has a massive problem in his game. Young has spent 1 season on the list, is 19 (nearly 20) and has played 2 games.

And one bloody good one on debut against the Lions! I'm quite excited about his development. Not exactly sure what role he'll end up playing, but to me he has a fair amount of versatility that could see him end up anywhere.

HAha what a howler!! Oh well I forgive him, it wasn't his kicking, it would have to do with his concentration at that exact moment. Just before that kick however, he won his own ball 2 on 1 and won a free kick for going harder at it than anyone else near the ball.

I've seen quite a bit of Young in the VFL and I walk away with a similar impression every time; for every good solid 10 possessions or so he makes one howler that undoes all his good work. I like him, but every time he gets it I have my heart in my mouth knowing what could be around the corner. He's an absolute ball magnet too so there's no problem getting it.

I've seen quite a bit of Young in the VFL and I walk away with a similar impression every time; for every good solid 10 possessions or so he makes one howler that undoes all his good work. I like him, but every time he gets it I have my heart in my mouth knowing what could be around the corner. He's an absolute ball magnet too so there's no problem getting it.

Mark McGough was a ball magnet!

Tom Young is McGough MKII. His decision making and skills are terrible, he needs to stay in the VFL for another 12 months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back