News Limited vs Labor

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course he does (as does the ABC & Fairfax). You don't have to take it at face value though. That's the trouble with this country , we have had it so easy for so long , peoples bullshit detectors are not working.

I couldn't care less about his papers spewing out propaganda or even the vested interest driven content disguised as news because it would all be worthless if the average person didn't lack the capability of critical thought.

The power he has to influence people and political decisions is impressive but doesn't require any special attributes in itself. Just greed.
Does anyone believe that people like Rupert wouldn't jump fence to the other political side if that's where his interest would be served best ?

News Limited having an agenda against Labour.....so what ? Its a right wing paper ffs
The left vs right Paradigm is so pathetic

I couldn't care less about his papers spewing out propaganda or even the vested interest driven content disguised as news because it would all be worthless if the average person didn't lack the capability of critical thought.

The power he has to influence people and political decisions is impressive but doesn't require any special attributes in itself. Just greed.
Does anyone believe that people like Rupert wouldn't jump fence to the other political side if that's where his interest would be served best ?

News Limited having an agenda against Labour.....so what ? Its a right wing paper ffs
The left vs right Paradigm is so pathetic

Which one? Daily Telegraph I agree , Advertiser and Courier mail lean left and the Australian is fairly middle of the road. Herald sun I don't read much , but any paper would look far right competing in the same market as the Age.

Which one? Daily Telegraph I agree , Advertiser and Courier mail lean left and the Australian is fairly middle of the road. Herald sun I don't read much , but any paper would look far right competing in the same market as the Age.

The Australian is the only one of the News Limited papers I read but not because of any perceived political leaning or bias I have for the others.
No doubt I believe its rank with it though but its not something that would stop me from reading it.

They all should be presenting news objectively but as if this would ever happen...... and even if it was, people would still claim bias.
These warped type of people need their fragile ideology's confirmed consistently
I reckon the people who complain the loudest of bias are really just conflicted from their own personal issues of it.

The Australian used to be better but has gone downhill under Chris Mitchell's editorship: he's turned it into more of a campaigning rag than the paper of record it once aspired to be.

Campaigning isn't a bad thing in itself but too often it lets ideology rather than serious thought guide it. It's coverage of climate change is laughable.

Still does a decent arts section, cricket is good and it gets marks for giving more serious coverage to indigenous affairs than any other paper.

The Australian used to be better but has gone downhill under Chris Mitchell's editorship: he's turned it into more of a campaigning rag than the paper of record it once aspired to be.

Campaigning isn't a bad thing in itself but too often it lets ideology rather than serious thought guide it. It's coverage of climate change is laughable.

Still does a decent arts section, cricket is good and it gets marks for giving more serious coverage to indigenous affairs than any other paper.
Times cryptic and cricket writers, without them a worthless rag

I It is part of the rules of the network they have to remain unbiased.

Vlad tells me there is no bias in the draft. Caro says she has no bias against North. Robbo says he reports without fear or favour with respect to Essendon.

It must be so.

Get the phone hacker to put up outside ****** news.

Piers no longer at the Mirror.

Think Sly has gone too. Bottle blonde > Fanta pants.

Sly-Bailey-008.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Part of the problem with the press is sections of it have massive egos and the twenty four hour cycle feeds this. It's all very well to gonzo up a story and put yourself in the middle of it when you're HST, it's a little harder and a lot less effective when you're filling space in a national daily.

Part of the problem with the press is sections of it have massive egos and the twenty four hour cycle feeds this. It's all very well to gonzo up a story and put yourself in the middle of it when you're HST, it's a little harder and a lot less effective when you're filling space in a national daily.
Is there anything more boring and self indulgent than journos writing stories about other journos? The Australian is full of that sort of crap. Insiders thrives on it.

There are journos & then there are opinion writers and at times it's hard to separate the two.

The damage to Australian democracy has been immense. Media machine politics at News Corp have narrowed the parliamentary gene pool to an unrepresentative group of machine politicians.

We've been witnessing this for quite some time. Whilst I think it unfair and more importantly, incorrect, to totally attribute this to News LTD these anecdotes show them to be a significant part of the problem.

We've been witnessing this for quite some time. Whilst I think it unfair and more importantly, incorrect, to totally attribute this to News LTD these anecdotes show them to be a significant part of the problem.
I think it helps explain why people who are against News Corp are so keen to blame them for so much. You could only put up with that sort of behaviour if you decided they were completely unlike you and therefore dismissable as just 'an enemy' or people not worth listening to.
News Corp's Australian papers now pulling their weight. Must be terribly demoralising working for a subsidised industry:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/20...-accounts-show-1000-jobs-cut-across-mastheads
Interestingly my workplace has started receiving an extra Oz and extra Telegraph than what we actually order. Maybe they're juicing their numbers like when they give papers away in big numbers...

I think it helps explain why people who are against News Corp are so keen to blame them for so much. You could only put up with that sort of behaviour if you decided they were completely unlike you and therefore dismissable as just 'an enemy' or people not worth listening to.

Interestingly my workplace has started receiving an extra Oz and extra Telegraph than what we actually order. Maybe they're juicing their numbers like when they give papers away in big numbers...

Oh, that's absolutely what they do - same with giveaways at the airport and sporting events.

Caesar, your argument is ridiculous.

The media is a medium between events, power, and the people. It has a responsibility to present those events, and the claims of those in power and those seeking it, with some objectivity. If News LTD papers don't want to do that, if they want to so actively campaign and play a role in affecting political outcomes, if they want to abuse the power of the fourth estate, then they should not pay lip service to 'neutrality'. They should do as many European newspapers do and wear their political alliances openly. Indeed, papers of both the left and right are open about this in European nations.

But of course News LTD has avoided this transparency as it would dull the validity of their endless campaigning for the LNP. They have avoided doing this because it would remove the mirage of 'objectivity' that cloaks their daily critique of the ALP. Witness, for example, Chris Mitchell's ludicrous interview last year, where he claimed that The Australian was a bi-partisan newspaper, and that it was in no way campaigning against the Gillard government. He said this with a straight face, too, which was nothing short of a minor miracle.

And how you can chastise a poster for not 'liking democracy' on account of criticising the Tele's 'election coverage' is a little bizarre. Is it democratic to have one organisation hold a monopoly over our nations media - as you know, no less than 70% of our prints media is News Ltd's - and then place that considerable weight behind one Party? Does that place in the public arena a good and robust contest of ideas and ideologies, or a fair representation of this election contest? Does it open up an egalitarian or multi-faceted debate? Doesn't the fourth estate have a duty to strive toward presenting a contest of ideas in a democracy, and isn't that part of keeping Party ideology in check?

Finally, media very much affects peoples world view. History has shown this time and time again. Totalitarian states know this, that is why they take control of the media. In China, basically 100% of what you read is a reflection of the governments ideology. In Australia, more or less 70% of what you read is a reflection of the neo-con ideology, or it is simply doing Murdoch's bidding (NBN, for example). What democracy!

Your post is an example of making hypothetically good points but then failing to apply your view impartially under changed political circumstances suggesting it was really all about which side you are on rather than a higher principle.

Fairfax has run a relentless campaign against Tony Abbott. I read The Age online every day. There has hardly been a day in the last year that the home page has not led with an anti-Abbott headline regardless of other events.

In your own words

The media is a medium between events, power, and the people. It has a responsibility to present those events, and the claims of those in power and those seeking it, with some objectivity.​

If Fairfax don't want to do that, if they want to so actively campaign and play a role in affecting political outcomes, if they want to abuse the power of the fourth estate, then they should not pay lip service to 'neutrality'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back