Qld Labor's plan to rename everything

Remove this Banner Ad

for folk who repeatedly profess a profound dislike of culture war nonsense, they sure love trading on it

every ..... single ..... waking ..... moment .... of .... their .... life

That doesn't mean anyone took the story seriously.

They don’t need to. All it is is a trigger for idiots to rail on about something that was never going to happen.

It isn’t Peter Gleeson’s first time lying to perpetrate fake political correctness gone mad!” (now shortened to “woke”) outrage.

Lied about schools wanting ban Christmas carols:

The story has already done its job. The talkback radio listeners have been sucked into the outrage, Palaszcuk’s denial is limited to a one sentence statement published on their webpage very few will read and even fewer will believe.

“Can you believe the latest thing the WOKE BRIGADE are trying to do?!?!!?”

They can even run a fake outrage for a day, get it into the heads of listeners and then issue a legally protecting denial statement later after the damage has been done.

I remember a few years back the same talkback/breakfast TV/Murdoch shock jocks got us riled up about the “woke/PC plan to ban the word Easter from Easter eggs!”. Plenty of easily influenced people in my workplace were OUTRAGED! when that story broke. Only problem was it was utter BS. Went to the shops that afternoon and counted at least a dozen Cadbury products with the word “Easter” prominently displayed. The rednecks never apologised or admitted they were fooled, they just moved onto the next thing their Murdoch overlords told them was going to be banned due “PC Gone Mad!”.

As a poster above said, it’s just confected outrage designed to keep mindless deadshits distracted from real news (Gladys being corrupt). And it works. If you try to take the time to research these stories and inevitably come up with proof that it’s manufactured nonsense they don’t believe you, they call you “woke” and they move onto the next story of fake outrage.

It’s exhausting living in the same world as these people.

Last edited:
From post 1 to post 18 only really post #7 questioned the validity of the story. Several comments said they support or are neutral on renaming Brisbane.

This is a great example of Murdoch shitf*ckery. You’ll have people on the left coming out saying renaming Brisbane is a good thing even though Palaszcuk never contemplated doing this.

It’s manufactured culture war nonsense against an ALP Premier on a day when a Liberal Premier has been confirmed to be corrupt.
I don't think anybody really got sucked in to the story that the state government has got a secret plan to change the name of the city. Discussion on the broader idea is a different kettle of fish.

I doubt this is true.

If it is, it's tokenistic and stupid.
It's only tokenistic if nothing else is done for Indigenous people beyond a rename. You'll find the people who are pro-Indigenous rights want both recognition of Indigenous place names and material improvements for the quality of life of Indigenous people too. But some will call it "tokenistic" anyway so they can look down on those who want change.

From post 1 to post 18 only really post #7 questioned the validity of the story. Several comments said they support or are neutral on renaming Brisbane.

This is a great example of Murdoch shitf*ckery. You’ll have people on the left coming out saying renaming Brisbane is a good thing even though Palaszcuk never contemplated doing this.
Speaking as the one you highlighted as questioning the validity of the story, I know full well it isn't real and still have thought for a long time that renaming places to Indigenous names is a good thing. I would also like to rename Queensland as Murriland if the Murris are on board with that.

Brisbane is a dump anyway, who cares what it is called.
I do. Put it to a public vote.

Boaty McBoatface style. Let's get creative!

Speaking as the one you highlighted as questioning the validity of the story, I know full well it isn't real and still have thought for a long time that renaming places to Indigenous names is a good thing. I would also like to rename Queensland as Murriland if the Murris are on board with that.
As of a couple of months ago we should have renamed it Kingsland anyway

Supposedly when they were carving out the Northern Territory, they considered naming it Kingsland.
Typical lazy Australia naming things in the most simple and obvious way. Look at the States we named - South Australia, Western Australia then we called the big territory 'Northern'

And don't get me started on the Great Sandy Desert or the Blue Mountains...

I’m sure Pauline and the Sky News crew still insist on calling St Petersburg by its previous name too.
While sipping Ceylon Tea in Constantinople

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It doesn't sound true. If true, my thoughts are that the more famous the name, the less appropriate it is to change the name.
I reckon that's a good point, you wouldn't change Sydney for instance.

I'd be happy to consider a change to South Australia and even Adelaide.

SA for starters is a bit boring and neither are particularly unique, don't get me wrong, we have far too many anti everything to ever consider it.

If you change the name of a very famous thing, it does more harm than good because some groups might be pleased, but you piss off a much larger portion of the population. If anything, doing such a thing would send reconciliation backwards, creating a backlash and perception of 'Oh what now?! Changing everything! They have more rights than us!'

See what I mean? I don't agree with those quotes at all, but we've all heard that sort of talk. Perception is everything.

And herein lies the entire Sky News model - some idiot states something/anything - Sky report it as actual news.

The Murdoch network is its very own content creation machine. Endlessly and mindlessly going in circles with variations of the same basic themes.

And we are supposed to take it seriously.

They do run the country most of the time I guess
It dies serve to get particularly stupid people riled up and angry.

And herein lies the entire Sky News model - some idiot states something/anything - Sky report it as actual news.

The Murdoch network is its very own content creation machine. Endlessly and mindlessly going in circles with variations of the same basic themes.

And we are supposed to take it seriously.

They do run the country most of the time I guess

They should update Godwin's theory, instead referencing Nazis or Hitler, but to the evil Murdoch Empire.

Reckon there'd be a 100% success rate on this site.

If you change the name of a very famous thing, it does more harm than good because some groups might be pleased, but you piss off a much larger portion of the population. If anything, doing such a thing would send reconciliation backwards, creating a backlash and perception of 'Oh what now?! Changing everything! They have more rights than us!'

See what I mean? I don't agree with those quotes at all, but we've all heard that sort of talk. Perception is everything.
Yes, there will always be a backlash, but what I'm interested in is, why? What causes people to be so conservative that they are not merely indifferent to a name change but actively hostile to it?

Yes, there will always be a backlash, but what I'm interested in is, why? What causes people to be so conservative that they are not merely indifferent to a name change but actively hostile to it?
It's difficult to articulate in words, but I believe it's a sense of robbery, lack of agency and micro-grief. The name of something you know and love has been taken away from you suddenly without your input, and never again will the old name be the correct one. Names matter - we use them every day greeting each other, and in some sense, changing the name of something is taking away part of its identity. In addition, it takes effort to learn a new name - just watch people calling Uluru Ayers Rock, calling Jobseeker Payment Newstart, calling a payment summary a group certificate or calling Mumbai Bombay.

Conservatives are inherently hostile to any change. It does not matter what it is - change must be resisted.

Essentially they are petrified.

The name of something you know and love has been taken away from you suddenly without your input, and never again will the old name be the correct one.
Perhaps that is the mentality of many. Yet corporations change names all the time and nobody bats an eyelid. I find that strange.

Names matter - we use them every day greeting each other, and in some sense, changing the name of something is taking away part of its identity.
Inanimate objects and collections of inanimate objects don't inherently have an identity. People ascribe an identity to it. I wonder if the name must be part of that ascribed identity when the underlying thing has not changed. Shakespeare said a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, but not to many, it would seem.

In addition, it takes effort to learn a new name - just watch people calling Uluru Ayers Rock, calling Jobseeker Payment Newstart, calling a payment summary a group certificate or calling Mumbai Bombay.
That's okay, change takes time. The issue I have is that when something only requires a matter of time and practice to be accepted and become second nature to most people, then it seems really arbitrary for them to be so wedded to a particular name as an identity. After all, it's not hard to find counter-examples. Nobody would refer to Thailand as Siam, Telstra as Telecom or Tasmania as Van Diemens Land in common speech anymore.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back