NFL Style Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Megaman123

Team Captain
Oct 4, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Wondering whether our draft would work in the way the NFL do it, where draft picks and players can be traded during the draft. It gives sides who finish higher on the ladder a chance to snare higher rated players, but they will of course have to give up a bit to make it happen.

For example, Geelong may look at drafting Troy Menzel, who is rated by some as a top 12 pick. Lets say Geelong finish 3rd and have pick 20 with the additional compo picks being used. Geelong could arrange someone like Richmond who may finish around 10th, to use its pick to draft him. He is then on traded to the Cats, for their pick 20, and also for their 2nd round pick. Leaves Geelong with the player they wanted, and Richmond with a good pick in 20, and another decent pick around 38.

Could this system work? It would make Draft day pretty exciting, and a whole lot more complicated. But could also leave clubs in a better position and more chance of drafting guys they really want.

Why would they trade 'in play ' when they obviously would have knocked that same trade back weeks earlier?
Unnecessary complication with no benefit, for mine.

Its bdcoming more and more obvious that some people just won't be happy until all contracts are only a year so everyone and everything changes every year. And every ridiculous rule from every sport adopted.

In the AFL, the trade week takes care of 90% of the NFL trading. The only difference is that the NFL allows for trading up to target players who have slid - something that would have to be picks for picks in the AFL. The NFL allows you draft future picks, plus you don't have to contract players you draft. As a result you have access to a lot more picks to trade and there's no negative to having a lot of draft picks, so it's easy to trade picks for picks because more picks = more lottery tickets. You'd need a lot more overhauling to get close to the NFL and to be honest I don't think it's that much better, just different.

Why would they trade 'in play ' when they obviously would have knocked that same trade back weeks earlier?
Unnecessary complication with no benefit, for mine.

Its bdcoming more and more obvious that some people just won't be happy until all contracts are only a year so everyone and everything changes every year. And every ridiculous rule from every sport adopted.

Different timing. Example: maybe last year you might have become spooked that we'd take Kav, a player that you rated incredibly highly and may have been worried that you'd think we would take him with our pick before. So you orchestrate something with the Dogs (who would always take Clay Smith and who Dog recruiters may think would definitely not be taken by us) where you trade your first rounder and say Pick 31 for the Dogs first rounder and pick 39.
Win-win.

Obviously a lot changes during trade week and draft time, and some clubs may spring surprises that leave players dropping (eg/you guys might have wanted to trade up in 2010 to get Atley.)

I think however that the system would only work if you could trade future draft picks and with the introduction of compo picks I really don't see why that would be an issue.

The NFL draft puts ours to shame. Would love to see it happen but don't think it will.

Different timing. Example: maybe last year you might have become spooked that we'd take Kav, a player that you rated incredibly highly and may have been worried that you'd think we would take him with our pick before. So you orchestrate something with the Dogs (who would always take Clay Smith and who Dog recruiters may think would definitely not be taken by us) where you trade your first rounder and say Pick 31 for the Dogs first rounder and pick 39.
Win-win.

Obviously a lot changes during trade week and draft time, and some clubs may spring surprises that leave players dropping (eg/you guys might have wanted to trade up in 2010 to get Atley.)

I think however that the system would only work if you could trade future draft picks and with the introduction of compo picks I really don't see why that would be an issue.
We tried - for just about the whole 10 days - to improve our first & second rounder, to get Caddy. And (clearly) got knocked back by every club.
I really doubt any club would suddenly change their minds, mid-draft.

If the clubs can't get a deal done in the new month of 'trade week' then they don't want to do the deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back