Nick Malceski - on the move.

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think they're squeezing him out. They'll offer him a year or two on his current salary, Roos will double it for a short contract and he'll come help out his old coach.
I think Malceski is a gun, and would love him at the dogs, but do you think he is really a good fit for Melbourne?

I know you guys need experienced players, but I don't see why a 30 year old (next year) is the one to go for. Don't get me wrong, he'd be a good pick up, but I reckon a 25/26 year old would be a much better option if available.

I think Malceski is a gun, and would love him at the dogs, but do you think he is really a good fit for Melbourne?

I know you guys need experienced players, but I don't see why a 30 year old (next year) is the one to go for. Don't get me wrong, he'd be a good pick up, but I reckon a 25/26 year old would be a much better option if available.

I get what you're saying, but good players are good players and we can still get youngsters through the draft.

Most clubs won't give up good players between the age of 19-26.

Nah, to have club champions pushed out by their club, especially when the club has a larger salary cap than most.

This is a sad circumstance for SS & Malceski. I hope for your sake it doesn't have repercussions for the future, because I'm sure his team mates will be fully aware of what's going on and will be mindful of it should they receive handsome offers to leave down the track.

It's called list management.

There are kids coming through who will give 6 or 7 good years to the club. A lot of these are already pushing out O'Keefe and LRT. The older brigade may have 2 seasons tops as well as a decline in production.

It's nostalgic to hang onto guys that have given great service to the club, but to remain competitive the hard decisions of list management must be made.

Besides, players have gained a lot of power over the last few years. It's easier for them to seek another club while negotiating with an incumbent, or to play on if they're released if that's what they prefer.

I get what you're saying, but good players are good players and we can still get youngsters through the draft.

Most clubs won't give up good players between the age of 19-26.
Yeah I guess, it's ok given that you don't have to pay anything for Malceski.

I just don't agree with Roos' decision to trade a good draft pick for Bernie Vince, if he keeps going down that path I wouldn't be happy as a Melbourne supporter. But you're right on players like Malceski/Cross, nothing to lose really.

Yeah I guess, it's ok given that you don't have to pay anything for Malceski.

I just don't agree with Roos' decision to trade a good draft pick for Bernie Vince, if he keeps going down that path I wouldn't be happy as a Melbourne supporter. But you're right on players like Malceski/Cross, nothing to lose really.

Bernie's been our 2nd best midfielder this year - so I'm pretty happy with a 2nd round pick for him.

That's been a good trade for us.

We went for Cross and he has turned out pretty good. Malcheski is diferent though. He at the momment is one of the best Rebounders in the game. Would be a great pick up if we could get him.

If he heads to Melbourne its for the $$$ and not much else (which is fair enough its his final contract).
Demons are a few years off playing finals and at 30 he may not be there for that.
You have to wonder how much he has left in him (1 or 2 seasons).
Given he has had 2/3 knee reconstructions the body will slow down.

Word is he will be at Melbourne next season. Via trade if Frawley leaves. I'm guessing tge Roos connection might have a lot to do with it.

Why Trade? He is a Unrestricted Free Agent?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could they still draft him? wouldn't be mad tbh.

It would effect their Frawley compensation pick.

Don't know why it slipped my mind earlier but he could easily go via the Pre-season draft like Tippet did. He'd just have to put a high contract demand to stop GWS from taking him, that being said if I were him I'd rather go there than to Melbourne.

Actions speak louder than words. Players are leaving now that the money has tightened up a fraction. Good players too.

Let's use Parker for an example.

Say a club comes in and offers more than Sydney. With the culture you're creating by squeezing out club champions like Malceski he might want to look after himself rather than accept less to remain at the club. Loyalty is a two way street.

I'm sure many Swans players would be surprised to see a player of Malceski's calibre be treated in this manner, and they will remember it next time their contracts run up.

Parker, Kennedy, smith, hanners, Laidler, rampe, mcveigh, bird have all re signed since the buddy money was spent.

Say malceski has agreed to join the demons, and horse's comments during the week about he would still play a player who has indicated he is joining another club.

What would happen if malceski does a knee in the last game. Would he still go to Melbourne??

Apparently it was only not being able to reach the salary that him and his management want for him to stay at Sydney.

Both sides moved towards each other but couldn't get there in the end. The club seem to realise they cant afford to pay him what he is worth hence why it seems like a mutually understood move. Definitely a victim of the large Buddy/Tippet contracts, but it was always going to start happening.

Someone will pick him up for what he's asking.

Just how much is Syd offering and how much more at Melb? What would Syd get as comp is related to the dollars isn't it?

Just how much is Syd offering and how much more at Melb? What would Syd get as comp is related to the dollars isn't it?
I think it's the calculated on the total contract (x dollars over x years), not just the yearly salary, but it also takes into account the age of the free agent.

We'll likely get an end of second/third rounder.

I think it's the calculated on the total contract (x dollars over x years), not just the yearly salary, but it also takes into account the age of the free agent.

We'll likely get an end of second/third rounder.

Well if thats the case , Melb may well trade someone out to get an extra pick to trade for him. They have several players that have rep and previous draft position that they may feel its best to let go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back