Nine Serves Up Fast4 Tennis

Remove this Banner Ad

With T20 cricket the batsman are trying to hit the s**t out of the ball, on smaller boundaries. The bowlers are mixing things up.

There is nothing new about the tennis being played. A rally in this format is the same as a rally in a grand slam.

Maybe give the servers one serve or something. Or have an indian premier league tennis format with teams.

With T20 cricket the batsman are trying to hit the s**t out of the ball, on smaller boundaries. The bowlers are mixing things up.

There is nothing new about the tennis being played. A rally in this format is the same as a rally in a grand slam.

Maybe give the servers one serve or something. Or have an indian premier league tennis format with teams.
exactly. have a fast points round or rules like double points for winners, double points for aces over 210km/ph etc innovative stuff like that. Not that i really want to see the game of tennis destroyed but that is how it could be more fun.

exactly. have a fast points round or rules like double points for winners, double points for aces over 210km/ph etc innovative stuff like that. Not that i really want to see the game of tennis destroyed but that is how it could be more fun.

Like how T20 has destroyed test cricket in all but a few nations

Should just have Nadal blasting tennis balls into the crowd - chuck in some dancing girls, pumping beats, fireworks, a bit of motorbike gymnastics and call players something like the Spanish Cyclone and done! Bogan TV heaven.

Rohan Connolly and the fill in host (forgot his name?) on SEN1116 this morning were discussing Tennis in general and the Fast4 etc.
Basically they agreed last night was a flop.

However they still want to "change" tennis somehow. Complaining that it has just turned into baseline bashing since the 70/80s.

Basically they seem to think that we in Australia "need" to change Tennis to keep it appealing. They went on the usual rampage about lack of aussie talent coming through :S

This annoys me because
a) Leave the sport alone with its great traditions. Who cares if it doesn't attract the gen Y party atmosphere environment.
b) Don't make it even more about the $ by trying to appeal even more to sponsors and TV networks demands/ratings.
c) It is an international sport with stronger ties/culture overseas. If and I mean if any changes to be made or a newer style developed than it won't be Tennis Australia thinking it up or implementing it.

If you're going to make it a fast paced game, as t20 is for cricket, it can't go for almost as long as a regular game. Also t20 has the thing of bigger hitting more regularly than one day or test cricket, what does this fast4 provide that regular games of tennis doesn't?

If you're going to make it a fast paced game, as t20 is for cricket, it can't go for almost as long as a regular game. Also t20 has the thing of bigger hitting more regularly than one day or test cricket, what does this fast4 provide that regular games of tennis doesn't?
Yep it felt like watching a normal match apart from the shorter sets.

Enjoying the Chang v Goran match on fox. They are mic'd up. Hard to work out if Goran is serious or not :confused:

No surprises but yeah this Nadal Fast4 night is a flop as well.

Only watched like 10 minutes.

Who is commentating this :S ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The aussie commentator kinda sounds like Ed Phillips, the guy who used to host temptation.

Sent from my GT-S7500T using Tapatalk 2

Is that one of the Daddo's commentating? :confused:

Actually dont mind his low key tone

Edit: got mixed up I meant Ed Phillips - same massive tan

Rafa's pink outfit with mardi gras reflective shorts is pretty bad

Haha it is bugging me now...who was the aussie and the American commentating last night?

It was Ed Phillips commentating. He was not bad, either.

The format didn't encourage anything innovative in playing styles or quality of ground strokes, although I can see the 'no let rule' might entice players to rush the net more often.

If Fast4 is to be tried again, it needs to have some sort of competitive format - be it round robin, introduction of teams etc.

At the moment it's just a vehicle to increase promotion of tennis' elite players - like they need any help!

Only got around to watching Monday's match. Deleted it after the first set. What is the point of Fast4 - it doesn't seem too dissimilar to rules used for gimmicky tournaments like WTC or a charity event.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back