Toast NMFC members voicing their displeasure at umpiring - great job members wing!

Remove this Banner Ad

When your team has been s**t for nearly 4 seasons, you get pretty tired of the things you can't control that constantly ruin or put an end to our momentum. What do you expect supporters to do? Junk yard

We're not robots. We're a passionate supporter group that is freaking tired of the awful officiating that so happens to be overdone when it's our game of footy. It also doesn't help that we get the least capable umpires of the lot to officiate our game because from what we can tell, the AFL doesn't give a flying * if we fold or not.

It wasn't long ago the bloke in charge was trying to undermine or manipulate our club to head over to that god forsaken drug culture corner of this country. Don't forget that. This club deserves better and it should be a non-negotiable that umpires should be at a certain level of competence. Enough is enough with the horrific standards of adjudication. The fans won't be so displeased if the game wasn't so laughably adjudicated.

When your team has been s**t for nearly 4 seasons, you get pretty tired of the things you can't control that constantly ruin or put an end to our momentum. What do you expect supporters to do? Junk yard

We're not robots. We're a passionate supporter group that is freaking tired of the awful officiating that so happens to be overdone when it's our game of footy. It also doesn't help that we get the least capable umpires of the lot to officiate our game because from what we can tell, the AFL doesn't give a flying * if we fold or not.

It wasn't long ago the bloke in charge was trying to undermine or manipulate our club to head over to that god forsaken drug culture corner of this country. Don't forget that. This club deserves better and it should be a non-negotiable that umpires should be at a certain level of competence. Enough is enough with the horrific standards of adjudication. The fans won't be so displeased if the game wasn't so laughably adjudicated.
Perfectly said! 👍

Ironically one of the reasons we weren’t allowed initially into the VFL. Old habits are hard to break even if it’s a much less vigorous attack on the officials. I think once our supporters stoned the umpire of the day lol

Getting back to our ruffian roots

When Elleni called HTB against Jy :$:$

Didn’t call high for was it greenwood? Then swans enter the 50 and get a high free kick :$:$:$:$

Gulden takes 4 steps and has prior then gets run down, no FK? :$:$:$

They have ******* added another umpire and still can’t get things right.

When Elleni called HTB against Jy :$:$

Didn’t call high for was it greenwood? Then swans enter the 50 and get a high free kick :$:$:$:$

Gulden takes 4 steps and has prior then gets run down, no FK? :$:$:$

They have ******* added another umpire and still can’t get things right.

Watch some old replays with 1 or 2 umps Liggers.

Imagine * soccer, nrl, nfl with 4 onfield umpires ? Never happen.

They really need to reassess the umpires ability to comprehend the game

Adding more umpires has had the opposite effect. They all have different interpretations to what they see and it adds more inconsistency. It's why we say "why didn't you pay the other one on the other end of the ground". Well it's a different umpire that called it and they saw it differently.

Go back to one, and you will see the same high tackle rewarded most of the time for the similar action and both ends of the ground.

They really need to reassess the umpires ability to comprehend the game
Interesting stat yesterday on how the best umpires get proportionally few spots in off-Broadway (North) games. That game was shockingly badly umpired and the Swans clearly got the rub of the green (my partner wonders if it’s something subliminal in their colours). The crowd reaction was to being robbed of the lead by the (at the ground) inexplicable free and 50 in front of goal, and then robbed of the chance to go forward and score again by one last decision that could have gone either way but didn’t. I’d bolted for the exit but I’m not surprised sections of the crowd went a little over the top. No-one got hurt, I don’t love it but I get it and I’m not going to judge either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not one for the AFL conspiracies against us brigade. I put the number of times we seem to get screwed over down to good old fashioned garden variety incompetence from the umpires. I'm sure most of us have worked with inept or incompetent colleagues over the years, and their tendency is usually to sacrifice their own integrity to do what they think will make their employer happy. Which in the AFL's case is to have the big clubs and the struggling market clubs be competitive.

The first question the AFL should have asked when they wanted to add a fourth umpire was whether they had the quantity of quality umpires to make it feasible. The clear answer is no (they didn’t have enough for 3 quality umpires per game, let alone 4), and so that should have been it. This is supposed to be the premier sporting competition in the country, it’s not good enough to stumble through with 80% of the umpires up to the expected standard. They should have gone away and developed strategies that meant in 5 years’ time there were enough quality umpires, and then implemented it. But like all things AFL, they had a desired outcome and so they forced it through, regardless of how practical or effective it was.

Then again, it wouldn’t surprise me if the AFL genuinely believe that the quality of umpiring this year has been acceptable. They generally are badly out of touch and deluded on these types of things.

I hope the club doesn’t have a go at the fans over this. Some bullshit like “at North we have fantastic and passionate fans” blah blah blah. No need to mention the rubbish. Defend us don’t bag us. Do not let the umpires get away with the s**t we copped today. Send a message to the corrupt and useless AFL. I personally enjoyed it. Good letting off a bit of steam.
I have no doubt our club was as angry as our fans. If they send something it's because the AFL made them.

bwahahahah. Every single club thinks the umps are against them.

I've got some questions for you:
1) What have you done to try and make the standard of umpiring better?
2) have you ever volunteered your time to umpire a game?
3) Do you honestly think the umpires play favourites?
4) Have you any idea what the Frees Against V Frees For ratio is for us over the last 5 years?
And here comes the cavalry for the umpires.

Quisling.

I think I posted something like this in last week's game day thread, but umpires like everyone are affected by unconscious bias. They hear all week how North are the worst side ever or Melbourne have this many superstars on the field that it naturally creeps in and impacts decisions.

Not the blatant holds or high tackles, but all the 50/50 decisions that either get paid or don't. The umps are conditioned to think that we can do no right and top teams can do no wrong. So we see calls like the Paul Curtis disallowed mark, many many non calls of HTB among others.

It's the same for top players right? 'Protected species' etc who get caught dead to right HTB and let go or are allowed to do as the please in a marking contest!

Doesn't make it any less infuriating being a supporter of a team like ours down the bottom who copps it (and will continue to coop it) week after week but at least it makes sense and I don't think there is some kind of conspiracy against us (well at least when it comes to umpiring!)

And here comes the cavalry for the umpires.

Quisling.
As I have mentioned before, my oldest Joey is part of the umpire academy & recently made his umpire debut in the QAFL. We are now volunter as umpire coordinators for our local junior club. We have a new perspective on umpiring & I have some understanding of Mav’s position.

However, the AFL is not some local junior competition but a multimillion dollar professional organisation. At the elite level they have zero excuses for the ineptitude & the woeful resourcing to support the move to four umpires.

I'm not one for the AFL conspiracies against us brigade. I put the number of times we seem to get screwed over down to good old fashioned garden variety incompetence from the umpires. I'm sure most of us have worked with inept or incompetent colleagues over the years, and their tendency is usually to sacrifice their own integrity to do what they think will make their employer happy. Which in the AFL's case is to have the big clubs and the struggling market clubs be competitive.
When the question is incompetence or conspiracy, the answer is almost always incompetence.

They do sorely test that theory at times though.

As I have mentioned before, my oldest Joey is part of the umpire academy & recently made his umpire debut in the QAFL. We are now volunter as umpire coordinators for our local junior club. We have a new perspective on umpiring & I have some understanding of Mav’s position.

However, the AFL is not some local junior competition but a multimillion dollar professional organisation. At the elite level they have zero excuses for the ineptitude & the woeful resourcing to support the move to four umpires.
Exactly.

I don't blame umpires for being bad - I blame the AFL. They do policy on the run, including rules, which make the job harder. They don't like the look of things so decide one week from the next to encourage crackdown. They implement rules constantly which make the umpires job harder simply to chase some hypothetical perfect aesthetic. All of these make the job harder, give umpires more things to get wrong and are simply not necessary to a fair contest.

I don't care if a player kicks the ball down the line and it goes out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back