No.17...The next Dynasty

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm talking elite speed - Aaron Davey, Andrew Lovett, etc, etc......

I hope you are only referring to these two in terms of speed and not as players :eek:

We don't need players who drift 5 mins in a quarter and then go missing for 2 games straight.

What we need is someone who can break the lines and deliver the ball immaculately (who doesn't need these types?). Players like Cooney, Griffen, Foley etc....

What we currently have is either players with gun skills and abilities but not express pace (Gibbs/Murphy/Browne) or players with good speed but not great skills and football smarts (Walker/Russell/Benji etc).....Judd and Simmo are the closest with a combination of both but they are not enough......

AJ might be that bloke. I reckon he'll follow a similar career path as Foley and can potentially produce a similar level output. Either way they'll be a couple of surer bets available in the 1st round (and maybe 2nd) of this year's draft.

Carlton's premiership window will probably open around 2011-12. By that stage, most of the group should be pushing up to 100 games and primed for a tilt at the flag. Interesting to see how the development of your 3 no. 1 picks goes. Murphy looks like he will be a top line player already. Kruezer has had a solid start to his career without being brilliant. Gibbs has been ok and should only get better over the next few years. The likes of Stevens, Scotland and Fevola will be close to the end of their careers if not already finished. Expect Essendon to be challengers around the same time as Carlton.

Kidding right. ? you guys are in the same boat as we were 3 years ago , with a coach yet to proove anything. except the fact the he likes to drop needed experience in your team for unproven youth. essendon sorry you guys will be waiting a while now.

I agree that provided our emerging talent continues to emerge we will be a very good side, but not until about 2010.
I don't think the window is open for long these days. Judd and Fev will be 27 in 2010......Stevo will be 30. 2-3 years, give or take, before they retire from then. 2014-15 the windo will close and the next up and comer will take over. We will look a bit like the Swans. Still winning games but lacking that one or two key players to really dominate.

Thats IF our emerging talent continue to develop.

I think the one area where I don't see emerging talent that we desperatley need is another key forward.

Fisher is a good third tall, but does a lot of work up the ground.

With Jammo, Bower, Waite, Browne, Setanta and Thornton down back I think we have the depth to develop a great backline (again, assuming Jammison continues to develop.....I think he could be a GREAT fullback).

Fev needs a foil. Someone (sadly, like a Kennedy) who can take a contested grab, kick 1-2 each week, but also able to step up and kick a bag of 5 or more.

Betts and Fisher get that 1-2 each week, but Fisher has never kicked more than 3 AFAIK.......and certainly not going to get the odd bag of 5-6.

I agree that provided our emerging talent continues to emerge we will be a very good side, but not until about 2010.
I don't think the window is open for long these days. Judd and Fev will be 27 in 2010......Stevo will be 30. 2-3 years, give or take, before they retire from then. 2014-15 the windo will close and the next up and comer will take over. We will look a bit like the Swans. Still winning games but lacking that one or two key players to really dominate.

Thats IF our emerging talent continue to develop.

I think the one area where I don't see emerging talent that we desperatley need is another key forward.

Fisher is a good third tall, but does a lot of work up the ground.

With Jammo, Bower, Waite, Browne, Setanta and Thornton down back I think we have the depth to develop a great backline (again, assuming Jammison continues to develop.....I think he could be a GREAT fullback).

Fev needs a foil. Someone (sadly, like a Kennedy) who can take a contested grab, kick 1-2 each week, but also able to step up and kick a bag of 5 or more.

Betts and Fisher get that 1-2 each week, but Fisher has never kicked more than 3 AFAIK.......and certainly not going to get the odd bag of 5-6.

Fev is 27 right now.:(

Well at the time of me writing this post, my signature says "Carlton-2009 AFL Premiers". We're all allowed to dream!:p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back