Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

But what if they are, and you don't know. You've just put another a barrier in place to someone feeling safe and comfortable in the work place. Put doubt around if they are allowed to be who they are.

There is no need for it.

It's why I loved Crowley's sledging. He was positive, and that was enough to through a player off, and they left feeling good.

Let's build people up. Sure, if they * up, call it a s**t kick. Couldn't hit the side of a barn. Why do we need t get personal at all?
I don't disagree.

I guess I'm more focusing on the character of the individual involved.

People are going to do and say stupid things, in all walks of society, that won't change. Knowing someone's intentions would be illuminating, but, unfortunately, 99% impossible in this situation.

Holy ****. Not only do Gold Coast have West Coast and North twice (notwithstanding the Eagles being significantly less rubbish this year), they also have the Tigers twice.

They've been handed the easiest fixture layup of all time.

Poor VFL however, it still won't be enough to get them over the line for finals.

Yep.

Close second was the Voss Brothers.

"My dad did your mum"

Jimmy Ormond vs. Mark Waugh​

They don't make them like Jimmy Ormond anymore. The portly but consistent county performer earned a place in the England team for the final Test of the 2001 Ashes series.
Arriving at the crease for his first ever England innings, he was met by the incredulous Mark Waugh, brother of Steve Waugh, who took one look at him and said:
"Look who it is. Mate, what are you doing out here? There's no way you're good enough to play for England."
Ormond responded:
"Maybe not, but at least I'm the best player in my family."

You can swear without being racist, homophobic, etc.

Again, critique the performance, not the performer.

But the overall point is, we still haven't developed a safe enough environment for players in the men's game to be open about who they are. As a supporter group and industry as a whole. If players are already copping abuse based on nothing, imagine if they were to come out? (And there absolutely are). We can't even stamp out racism.

There is no place for name calling in any situation, especially when that is around terms that have been used to marginalise, bully and ostracise.

And yes, misogyny is a part of this as well.

Maybe add some empathy to that intelligence, ey?
I hear you and when I discovered what Powell said - a little earlier when I googled "What did..." and google autocompleted with "What did Will Powell say" - I wasn't super chuffed with my defence of ribald language and an appeal for non-literal appreciation of a good swear, in the circumstances.

Nothing interesting there. That was a slur and is Not Approved.

I hear you and when I discovered what Powell said - a little earlier when I googled "What did..." and google autocompleted with "What did Will Powell say" - I wasn't super chuffed with my defence of ribald language and an appeal for non-literal appreciation of a good swear, in the circumstances.

Nothing interesting there. That was a slur and is Not Approved.
So he used the same term as Finlayson as well, really didn't learn.

Culture takes a huge effort and usually a long time to change.

These guys all grew up probalby using the same derogatory commnets in school. Heard them from their family in TV shows and movies

It is not excuse. but it is going to take time

The use of the words was never a nasty thing to the person speaking it, but as with all things it is not the intent that is being judged but the affect on others.

If calling some one a "F%^^&*" is to try and make them feel they incapable of performing at high level in AFL it is a put down of all Gay men. Same as when i was at school, the usual call from opposition after i missed a shot at goal was " You kick like a girl" . i guess that means all girls cant kick well.

So yes it is time to move on. Sledging using terms that place groups of people in a lower class as a derogitive term need to go.

Perhpas the Dockers can just be derisive by Yelling " Ahhh your as stupid as Carlton Supporters"

Shhhhhhhh

Holy ****. Not only do Gold Coast have West Coast and North twice (notwithstanding the Eagles being significantly less rubbish this year), they also have the Tigers twice.

They've been handed the easiest fixture layup of all time.
That’s not an accident. AFL and Andrew Dillon especially are desperate to pump them up.
Wouldnt want to be heading into the final Round level on points with the suns and a place in the 8 at stake…

I reckon Max Gawn lost the toss, calling tails, the umpy said "it's a head", then Gawn pointed to where he wanted to kick.
I do have flu, so I could be wrong, but I reckon Max conned them

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gawn giving away soft ruck frees in the wet. Just imagine what Darcy would get if he played tomorrow

team america vomit GIF

Awesome. Now we get to hear about how good Carlton are allllllllllll weekend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back