Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do think the umpiring has been interesting - am surprised they got Rosebury again (although we have ended up with Stevic again)

I don't think Chris Scott's umpiring criticism worked in their favour

I swear like a trooper with his utensil caught in his zipper. No filter whatsoever when watching or playing. heck, I got sanctioned as a runner in my son's year 12 grand final for telling our small forward not to worry about the "fat farck" who had just turtled him.

But this is because I am a deeply creative, intelligent person with an abiding interest in the capacity for language to convey emotion.

I don't reckon Will Powell really thought his opponent was same-sex attracted nor do I think he has particularly strong feelings about the nature of homosexual activity. For genuine fear of being written off as a anti-woke rightwing gen-x loser, I do worry that there is a little bit too much literalism going on.

The other day someone was trying to run the argument that "mother*er" was misogynistic. Nothing inherently woman-hating about that. Incestuous, sure. If anything it is misogynistic by placing motherhood on such a pedestal that the idea of sexualising that role is anathema. But really? It's a great sounding word with the right combination of fricatives, dentals and plosives to really say a whole bunch more than "person who has sexual congress with mother(s)".

My favourite story about the word, incidentally, was an anecdote concerning the actor/producer/director William Conrad who wanted to stage an all-black production of Oedipus Rex, calling it, you guessed it, Mother*er.

Just learned that the slur used was the term liberally used in Deadwood. You are spot on here. We live in one of the most culturally banal ages in history. These people are worse than the ones who tried to Bowdlerise Shakespeare.

I do think the umpiring has been interesting - am surprised they got Rosebury again (although we have ended up with Stevic again)

I don't think Chris Scott's umpiring criticism worked in their favour
Yes it is very strange to not see the Cats massively favoured!

Ok who told Gary Rohan that this game was like a final?

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back