Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 2.5 is over and probably the only outright surprise for me at the moment is Brisbane. Putting teams into tiers with definitely some of my own bias

Tier S
GWS: Just a disgusting amount of talent over every line, particularly with Hogan back to his best. They are in 2nd gear in these wins and are terrifying. Salary cap the only thing stopping being a dynasty IMO and Leon Cameron should be jailed for crimes against football

Tier A
Carlton/Port/Sydney
I'm going to be alone here but I dont know, I just think Sydney arent as hot as everyone thinks but put them here on consistency. The other two havent played at their best but gotten to two wins and with where each list is at, will be hard to dislodged from top 4. Have very high ceilings when they play well

Tier B
Melbourne/Brisbane
I'm very confident Brisbane will bounce back and still be a top 4 threat, Lachie Neale is extremely important to them. People might think Melbourne should be in A but I just cant get past that forwardline and now with May out for a while it's going to hurt. Done very well as a club to put all the noise behind them and play some decent footy.

Tier C
Freo/Geelong/St Kilda/Gold Coast/Dogs
Think these are the teams battling it out to make up the numbers in the 8. I considered moving Gold Coast and Dogs out but Dogs have Bont and I think Gold Coasts best is pretty good and they are as primed as we are (they're just Gold Coast). So long as Geelong have Hawkins, Cameron and Stewart, they are a finals threat (cant win it though). St Kilda might be in the tier above, I like what Ross is doing

Tier D
Pies/Adelaide/Essendon/Richmond
Yes, Pies are done, bookmark it. They arent a finals threat. One of these 4 (probably Richmond) finishes bottom 4. They can mix it with the better teams but lacking in an area or two (Pies - hunger/youth, Adelaide - Backline/vanilla mids, Essendon - anything more than B grade talent, Richmond, talent under 26) will stop them winning enough games

Tier E
Hawks/North
Young talent coming through but still not enough consistency (within games) to do anything with it. Another year of pain for these two. Hawks need to pray at least one and ideally two of McKenzie, Ward, Watson and DGB start to show something (harsh on ward but I mean over the next few years) because at the moment there is a chance they are 0 from 4 on top 10 picks. North have mids out their arse but will get blasted every time they lose a contest and are literally breaking record for goals conceded per inside 50.

Tier Z
West Coast...
IMO North will move up to D tier before the end of the year, if they get out to a 40+ point lead against some of those teams, they will hold it, despite being young.

IMO North will move up to D tier before the end of the year, if they get out to a 40+ point lead against some of those teams, they will hold it, despite being young.
The problem they have is being young, they'll tire at the end of the year and then THAT backline has to defend against a tsunami when they already cant defend against a wave in the river. It could just get really really ugly towards the end of the year which seems ridiculous with everything they've been given and already gone through but hard to see otherwise

Last edited:

The problem they have is being young, they'll tire at the end of the year and then THAT backline has to defend against a tsunami when they already cant defend against a wave in the river. It could just get really really ugly towards the end of the year which seems ridiculous with everything they've been given and already gone through but hard to see otherwise
100%

They won their first 2 games last year (vale our 2023 season) and then only 1 for the rest of the year.

They are younger again and lost both of their first two games despite reasonable performance at times. They'll pinch a win or 3 from somewhere but mature sides playing them in July - August will feast.

Imagine thinking Loguey Bear was going to be enough to fix that backline. I don't know what they have in development already, but they may have to trade in a key backman because drafting one in will take too long.

The long hard suck they have had on the AFL teat is, quite frankly, disgusting. And stockpiling mids with all their handouts, when they only really have Larkey as a quality tall, may end up being another kind of longterm list mismanagement.

I normally have a great deal of sympathy for strugglers but this is testing my preference for the underdog.

It's Clucko that's done it. I hate the campaigner. I want him to suffer.

Imagine thinking Loguey Bear was going to be enough to fix that backline. I don't know what they have in development already, but they may have to trade in a key backman because drafting one in will take too long.

The long hard suck they have had on the AFL teat is, quite frankly, disgusting. And stockpiling mids with all their handouts, when they only really have Larkey as a quality tall, may end up being another kind of longterm list mismanagement.

I normally have a great deal of sympathy for strugglers but this is testing my preference for the underdog.

The Bear might not be able to fix it but he'd be able to do a bit more than Corr and Pink at least. Luke McDonald might actually be their best "tall" defender at the moment

I wonder if Logue will even play again

Yep. North simply HAD to draft Logan McDonald. Idiots. The AFL should have shunted them off to Gold Coast many years ago when they had the chance.
They should have delt with the issue of there being too many Melbourne clubs years ago but the webs of old boy influence keep the status quo in place.

If they moved AFL house to Canberra the bottom 2 or 3 Melbourne clubs would be back in the VFL within 5 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They should have delt with the issue of there being too many Melbourne clubs years ago but the webs of old boy influence keep the status quo in place.

If they moved AFL house to Canberra the bottom 2 or 3 Melbourne clubs would be back in the VFL within 5 years.
Definitely.
The sad state of events equates to when tassie come along there will be 1 extra Melbourne team to the rest of Australia.
Any anti vic sentiment that pops it's head up can still be vetoed by the Victorian block backed by the afl of course 😭

Too right, we know how to sort things here!

Round 2.5 is over and probably the only outright surprise for me at the moment is Brisbane. Putting teams into tiers with definitely some of my own bias

Tier S
GWS: Just a disgusting amount of talent over every line, particularly with Hogan back to his best. They are in 2nd gear in these wins and are terrifying. Salary cap the only thing stopping being a dynasty IMO and Leon Cameron should be jailed for crimes against football

Tier A
Carlton/Port/Sydney
I'm going to be alone here but I dont know, I just think Sydney arent as hot as everyone thinks but put them here on consistency. The other two havent played at their best but gotten to two wins and with where each list is at, will be hard to dislodged from top 4. Have very high ceilings when they play well

Tier B
Melbourne/Brisbane
I'm very confident Brisbane will bounce back and still be a top 4 threat, Lachie Neale is extremely important to them. People might think Melbourne should be in A but I just cant get past that forwardline and now with May out for a while it's going to hurt. Done very well as a club to put all the noise behind them and play some decent footy.

Tier C
Think these are the teams battling it out to make up the numbers in the 8. I considered moving Gold Coast and Dogs out but Dogs have Bont and I think Gold Coasts best is pretty good and they are as primed as we are (they're just Gold Coast). So long as Geelong have Hawkins, Cameron and Stewart, they are a finals threat (cant win it though). St Kilda might be in the tier above, I like what Ross is doing

Tier D
Yes, Pies are done, bookmark it. They arent a finals threat. One of these 4 (probably Richmond) finishes bottom 4. They can mix it with the better teams but lacking in an area or two (Pies - hunger/youth, Adelaide - Backline/vanilla mids, Essendon - anything more than B grade talent, Richmond, talent under 26) will stop them winning enough games

Tier E
Hawks/North
Young talent coming through but still not enough consistency (within games) to do anything with it. Another year of pain for these two. Hawks need to pray at least one and ideally two of McKenzie, Ward, Watson and DGB start to show something (harsh on Watson but I mean over the next few years) because at the moment there is a chance they are 0 from 4 on top 10 picks. North have mids out their arse but will get blasted every time they lose a contest and are literally breaking record for goals conceded per inside 50.

Tier Z
West Coast...
Not bad but I recon GWS is not S Tier. They have played WC, North & Richmond. North after they had already warmed up and played an AFL game. They look a million dollars as they are still doing preseason training atm.

I'm thinking North might now be D tier and they will go on a run at some stage during the year. Freo also B tier, since we knocked off a B tier team and we're just getting warmed up.

Should've been dealt with right when they were bringing non-Victorian teams into the league.

It should've started at a similar size to the VFL (12 teams) with two teams from WA and SA and one each from the non-footy states.

Not bad but I recon GWS is not S Tier. They have played WC, North & Richmond. North after they had already warmed up and played an AFL game. They look a million dollars as they are still doing preseason training atm.

I'm thinking North might now be D tier and they will go on a run at some stage during the year. Freo also B tier, since we knocked off a B tier team and we're just getting warmed up.
Actually think the difference between S and A tier, A and B tier and also B and C tier is quite murky ATM.

Agree that teams listed in those tiers look like the only ones that can make finals. Also with West Coast being in their own level of sh**e.

The off season, with a Melbourne club being relegated to the VFL and all their players being declared unrestricted free agents, would be amazing.

The low clubs will want it to be a draft, the higher clubs will want to buy the exact player they want.

Half the team probably ends up signed to a VFL club anyway

19 teams will be too many. need to get back to matches against teach opposition side twice per year. split the AFL into two conferences minimum and do relegation promotion.

No free agents or poaching of players. give that relegated club a year to iron out the issues and return if they can.

will never happen due to TV rights mostly now.

I made the mistake of engaging with a Pies supporter on the main board (he was attacking Fyfe) - they aren't very bright are they?
First rule of main board:

If the team who wear the colours you like won the most recent premiership your opinions are automatically more valid than anyone else’s.

Tier S

Tier A
Carlton/Port/Sydney

Tier B
Melbourne/Brisbane

Tier C

Tier D

Tier E
Hawks/North
Young talent coming through but still not enough consistency (within games) to do anything with it. Another year of pain for these two. Hawks need to pray at least one and ideally two of McKenzie, Ward, Watson and DGB start to show something (harsh on Watson but I mean over the next few years) because at the moment there is a chance they are 0 from 4 on top 10 picks. North have mids out their arse but will get blasted every time they lose a contest and are literally breaking record for goals conceded per inside 50.

Tier Z
West Coast...
Overrating West Coast again I see…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back