Opinion North Melbourne's best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys.

Sorry to intrude but I've been posting my best 22's for all 18 clubs on the main AFL board over the summer. Would love to get your thoughts on North Melbourne's BEST 22. Not necessarily the Round 1 team but the best available.

Good luck in 2015. You've got the talent and hunger to go one further I'm certain.

FULL BACKS: Sam Wright ~ Joel Tippett ~ Scott Thompson
HALF BACKS: Jamie Macmillan ~ Lachie Hansen ~ Luke McDonald

MIDFIELDERS:
Daniel Wells ~ Andrew Swallow ~ Nick Dal Santo
FOLLOWERS: Todd Goldstein ~ Jack Ziebell ~ Ben Cunnington

HALF FORWARDS:
Brent Harvey ~ Jarrad Waite ~ Shaun Higgins
FULL FORWARDS: Aaron Black ~ Drew Petrie ~ Lindsay Thomas

INTERCHANGE: Shaun Atley ~ Kayne Turner ~ Sam Gibson
SUB: Ryan Bastinac

• Back line: Grima OUT, Tippett IN. I like the idea of freeing up Scott Thompson to play as a counter attacking defender on the opposition's third tall forward. Led the comp in intercept marks in 2014 and led North in rebound 50s.
  • No big changes to the midfield. I'm not sure that Levi Greenwood was a certain midfield starter and maybe not even best 22 in 2015. Good mix of outside class and inside hardness in the midfield.
  • The big forward line addition is Jarrad Waite. A good half forward option for the midfield to kick to. Always been an athletic forward and creates a tough match up. Higgins has tempted and teased so much during his time at the Buldogs but if he can have an injury free year is another classy outside player for North. Good finisher in front of goal.
  • Turner broke into the team late in 2014 and showed he will be a long term player for North. Hard at it player and a good defensive half forward option.
  • Bastinac as a SUB will bring fresh legs and hard running later in a game.

Hey guys.

Sorry to intrude but I've been posting my best 22's for all 18 clubs on the main AFL board over the summer. Would love to get your thoughts on North Melbourne's BEST 22. Not necessarily the Round 1 team but the best available.

Good luck in 2015. You've got the talent and hunger to go one further I'm certain.

MIDFIELDERS:

HALF FORWARDS:

• Back line: Grima OUT, Tippett IN. I like the idea of freeing up Scott Thompson to play as a counter attacking defender on the opposition's third tall forward. Led the comp in intercept marks in 2014 and led North in rebound 50s.
  • No big changes to the midfield. I'm not sure that Levi Greenwood was a certain midfield starter and maybe not even best 22 in 2015. Good mix of outside class and inside hardness in the midfield.
  • The big forward line addition is Jarrad Waite. A good half forward option for the midfield to kick to. Always been an athletic forward and creates a tough match up. Higgins has tempted and teased so much during his time at the Buldogs but if he can have an injury free year is another classy outside player for North. Good finisher in front of goal.
  • Turner broke into the team late in 2014 and showed he will be a long term player for North. Hard at it player and a good defensive half forward option.
Great effort, black and Tippett can be switched for wood and Tarrant, but that's very debatable.

Hey guys.

MIDFIELDERS:

HALF FORWARDS:

Good effort.

In fact, the only change I'd have is Wood in for Black. But it appears that Ben Brown is Brad Scott's choice ATM.

Hey guys.

MIDFIELDERS:

HALF FORWARDS:

Fantastic job as always mate. Your efforts for all teams on the main board have been top notch.

BUMP!

After a quick scan of the various prediculations before the season, there have been a few noticeable differences with the way the 22 has panned out for the first 12 rounds as well as a few nips and tucks.

The unplanned absence of Wellsy and NDS has thrown the shop about a bit, but also given more opportunities. The one consistent theme from pre-season that has continued until now is the Gibbo debate....nothing has changed. But looking at the general make up of our 22, there have been a few surprises and disappointments.

The surprise packets (those not appearing in many best 22s):
Tarrant...complete career revival whilst solving our gorilla defender problem, now it's just about playing the full season out with form and fitness
Higgins...despite consensus of him being best 22, there were many questions asked, but has proved to be in our 5 MVPs so far
Nahas...shown up many in the team, attitude and effort have made him indispensable through the past 2 months
Jacobs...just keeps getting/earning games, the best of which have been as tagger, done enough for a new contract
Dumont...got a live one here, 200-gamer (150 of them as Sub) here we come

The disappointments (those who have done worse than expectation re. best 22):
Turner...bit of a shock to see the kid who reinvigorated the whole team in 2014 completely lose his mojo, from Sugar to Salt
LMac...2nd year blues perhaps, but has steadily lost form, confidence, and his place
Black...1 game, which was a shocker, and a slow burn towards form and confidence
Ats...change of role perhaps the issue, but way down on previous years, hence getting dropped
Garner...just aint fair on the kid
Narni...sadly looks like no 100 game milestone or even farewell game for a favorite son

The floaters (bit both ways):
Basti...not the worst, but simply hasn't made himself a best 22 lock, especially in the absence of NDS and Wellsy
Wood...looks the part in the 22, just got to get his attitude right
Maj...so much on the cusp, that his footprints are embedded into it
Gibbo...on the cusp, going the other way
SMac...earned a couple of games, but the second one was his farewell game I suspect

And where to next for the best 22?
The locks
Goldy (x 10), JZ, Boomer, Spitta, Cunners, NDS, Higgins, Hansen, Tarrant, Thompson, Wright, Petrie, LT, JMac
The ones making a good case
Nahas, Jacobs, Dumont
The incumbents on the edge
Gibbo, Spud, Ats, Brown
The special case (supposedly going to be managed to get 16 games out of him?!?!?)
Waite
The next cabs off the rank (who should be getting senior games)
Daw, Mullett, LMac, Basti, Wood, Black
The wildcards
Wellsy, Harps, Garner, Fordham

Of course, lots of unpredictable s**t will happen in the second half of the season. But what I would like to see is:
Wellsy back of course.
Wood claiming Gibbos spot and making a good fist of it.
Some rotating of the KPDs (Petrie, Waite, Brown, Daw, Black) as a mixture of rewarding VFL form, keeping players fresh, upping the ante in terms of competition for spots, setting the bar higher.
Mullett's dash off half back.
Basti pulling his finger out and bashing the door down.
All of Harps, Garner, and Fordham getting a run, even as Sub, towards the end of the season.

Other thoughts on the best 22 from here onwards?

BUMP!

After a quick scan of the various prediculations before the season, there have been a few noticeable differences with the way the 22 has panned out for the first 12 rounds as well as a few nips and tucks.

The unplanned absence of Wellsy and NDS has thrown the shop about a bit, but also given more opportunities. The one consistent theme from pre-season that has continued until now is the Gibbo debate....nothing has changed. But looking at the general make up of our 22, there have been a few surprises and disappointments.

The surprise packets (those not appearing in many best 22s):
Tarrant...complete career revival whilst solving our gorilla defender problem, now it's just about playing the full season out with form and fitness
Higgins...despite consensus of him being best 22, there were many questions asked, but has proved to be in our 5 MVPs so far
Nahas...shown up many in the team, attitude and effort have made him indispensable through the past 2 months
Jacobs...just keeps getting/earning games, the best of which have been as tagger, done enough for a new contract
Dumont...got a live one here, 200-gamer (150 of them as Sub) here we come

The disappointments (those who have done worse than expectation re. best 22):
Turner...bit of a shock to see the kid who reinvigorated the whole team in 2014 completely lose his mojo, from Sugar to Salt
LMac...2nd year blues perhaps, but has steadily lost form, confidence, and his place
Black...1 game, which was a shocker, and a slow burn towards form and confidence
Ats...change of role perhaps the issue, but way down on previous years, hence getting dropped
Garner...just aint fair on the kid
Narni...sadly looks like no 100 game milestone or even farewell game for a favorite son

The floaters (bit both ways):
Basti...not the worst, but simply hasn't made himself a best 22 lock, especially in the absence of NDS and Wellsy
Wood...looks the part in the 22, just got to get his attitude right
Maj...so much on the cusp, that his footprints are embedded into it
Gibbo...on the cusp, going the other way
SMac...earned a couple of games, but the second one was his farewell game I suspect

And where to next for the best 22?
The locks
Goldy (x 10), JZ, Boomer, Spitta, Cunners, NDS, Higgins, Hansen, Tarrant, Thompson, Wright, Petrie, LT, JMac
The ones making a good case
Nahas, Jacobs, Dumont
The incumbents on the edge
Gibbo, Spud, Ats, Brown
The special case (supposedly going to be managed to get 16 games out of him?!?!?)
Waite
The next cabs off the rank (who should be getting senior games)
Daw, Mullett, LMac, Basti, Wood, Black
The wildcards
Wellsy, Harps, Garner, Fordham

Of course, lots of unpredictable s**t will happen in the second half of the season. But what I would like to see is:
Wellsy back of course.
Wood claiming Gibbos spot and making a good fist of it.
Some rotating of the KPDs (Petrie, Waite, Brown, Daw, Black) as a mixture of rewarding VFL form, keeping players fresh, upping the ante in terms of competition for spots, setting the bar higher.
Mullett's dash off half back.
Basti pulling his finger out and bashing the door down.
All of Harps, Garner, and Fordham getting a run, even as Sub, towards the end of the season.

Other thoughts on the best 22 from here onwards?
Thats a great write up. While I dont agree with all of it, I think you pose some great questions, and some very solid points.
Im especially pleased the Wright & JMac are getting some credit. I think after last week, Jacobs could be pushing his case. If he plays another game like the last, on Ablett our next game, that could be a good sign for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best 22 when all fit

Wright Thompson Atley
Macmillan Tarrant Hansen
Wells Swallow Dal Santo
Harvey Petrie Brown
Thomas Waite Higgins

Goldstein Ziebell Cunnington

Jacobs Firrito Nahas Gibson

next in line :
McDonald Dumont Wood Bastinac Mullett Black Majak Turner

Best 22 when all fit

Wright Thompson Atley
Macmillan Tarrant Hansen
Wells Swallow Dal Santo
Harvey Petrie Brown
Thomas Waite Higgins

next in line :
LMac, Dumont, Wood, Basti, Black and Turner are all best 22, just got nowhere to put em all

LMac, Dumont, Wood, Basti, Black and Turner are all best 22, just got nowhere to put em all
Wellsy's spot is one (Dumont). Gibbo and Spud are fast running out of credits, but they're the only other 2 who could realistically be challenged. Perhaps Daw in to give Brown a spell. The competition for spots is finally starting to heat up.

Best 22 when all fit

Wright Thompson Atley
Macmillan Tarrant Hansen
Wells Swallow Dal Santo
Harvey Petrie Brown
Thomas Waite Higgins

next in line :
I agree. I think we all would like Dumont in for Gibson but probably won't happen.

Lol at Gibson being in the best 22.

Pllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaasssssseeeeeeee.

When you consider his 25% reduction in performance YoY, his complete disregard for tackling or hitting targets, he is borderline useless.

Hansen - Tarrant - McDonald
MacMillan - Thompson - Wells
Dal Santo - Dumont - Higgins
Harvey - Petrie - Thomas
Ziebell - Waite - Brown
Goldstein - Cunnington - Jacobs
Atley - Swallow - Garner - Harper

Em: Wood - Turner - Fordham

Fordham is the one I want to see at the moment....surrounded by senior player he could be one that makes the jump quicker than expected. I hope Brad and co have learnt from the past mistakes. and get this lad into a game where we can afford to see him asap.

This also peppers those others who played senior footy dwelling in the 2's and puts a rocket up them.

Lol at Gibson being in the best 22.

Pllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaasssssseeeeeeee.

When you consider his 25% reduction in performance YoY, his complete disregard for tackling or hitting targets, he is borderline useless.

Hansen - Tarrant - McDonald
MacMillan - Thompson - Wells
Dal Santo - Dumont - Higgins
Harvey - Petrie - Thomas
Ziebell - Waite - Brown
Goldstein - Cunnington - Jacobs
Atley - Swallow - Garner - Harper

Em: Wood - Turner - Fordham
As much as Gibson might be lol worthy, you put Harper in your best 22! Care to explain? What has Harper done to earn a spot in the best 22 let alone the best 30? Please dont base your rebuttal on potential or if's etc. Harper has to extract his forearm from his backside as his career is on life support at the moment

B: Wright Thompson Firrito
HB: Hansen Tarrant Atley
C: Wells Dal Santo MacMillan
HF: Higgins Waite Ziebell
F: Thomas Petrie Harvey
R: Goldstein Swallow Cunnington
I: Jacobs Brown Dumont Nahas
E: Gibson Mullet McDonald Turner Bastinac Harper Wood Daw Black

Hope the selectors continue to drop players, 'best 22' or otherwise, if they lose form or become lazy - miss tackles etc. That would send the right signal to the list and lead to improvement rather than what's happened for too long.

Wright ~ Thompson ~ Hansen
Firrito ~ Tarrant ~ Wells
Atley ~ Dal Santo ~ MacMillan
Higgins ~ Petrie ~ Ziebell
Harvey ~ Waite ~ Thomas

Goldstein ~ Cunnington ~ Swallow

Jacobs ~ Gibson ~ Dumont ~ Nahas

Brown ~ Daw ~ Harper ~ Bastinac ~ Mullett ~ McDonald ~ Wood ~ Turner ~ Black ~ McKenzie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back