NSW State of Origin Team 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the most hilarious thing that happened all night was when Ben Creagh ran away from Justin Hodges.

Even Dragon supporters are giving it to him:)

LOL

And Price is a good bloke but he isn't that good

Who wouldn't admit it was a good punch by Brett White?

I hope the Blues stop the Queenslanders from winning again next year and stick it to Justin Hodges:)

Thought I'd update this now. Will start a new one when the sides are closer to being announced. Personally my side for game #1 would be

1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Brett Morris
3. Jamie Lyon
4. Josh Morris
5. Luke Burt
6. Jamie Soward
7. Brett Kimmorley
8. Michael Weyman
9. Michael Ennis
10. Josh Perry
11. Ben Creagh
12. Anthony Watmough
13. Anthony Laffranchi

14. Mark Minichiello
15. Luke Lewis
16. Kurt Gidley
17. Brett White

18. Luke O'Donnell

Squad
- Tim Mannah
- Greg Bird
- Willie Mason
- Josh Dugan
- Beau Champion
- Robbie Farrah
- Jamal Idris
- Michael Jennings
- Todd Carney
- Dean Young
- Timana Tahu

I think we really have a good crack at beating QLD this year. Kimmorley needs to be the half back IMO. We cant afford to be playing around with the combinations again this year and lose what should be a winnable series.

No idea what the go with Soward is, probally the best Five-Eighth in the comp (Lockyer the only better) but never even seems to have his name mentioned.

Hayne needs to play fullback or not all. Eels fan since birth and wouldn't mind him being dropped all together, has been pretty average. He's been the most heavily marked man in the comp so far this season, and where he would normally make a half break he is being dragged down, but in saying that he aint half the player he was last year. Doesn't even seem like his heart is in it. Origin is of course a whole new ball game though.

Personally I would have Carney or Bird as my utility but Gidley isn't going to get dropped.

I just watched SoO 2009 games 1 & 2. Really looked like men v boys, and how the scores stayed relatively close I don't know. I suppose the Blues had Hayne, and to a lesser extent, Gidley to thank for most of the threat they did possess. Some pretty bizarre refereeing decisions in the second game especially, but also some great football.

I'd start Lewis at lock.

Soward should be nowhere near the side

I think Ennis will get picked, Farah is a much better player and also has the bonus of not being a ****.

Would love to see chris lawrence and jennings in the centres, but im sure Lyon will get picked. Dont know why, was MIA tonight and is s**t in rep footy in general

if i was picking the team gidley would be on the fringes, whilst i also think Gallen is overrated but still think he's a good impact player of the bench.

the team i think they should pick
garuanteed spots:
1. hayne
2. b morris
3. j morris (if fit)
7. b kimmorley
8. m weyman
9. m ennis
10. j perry
11. a watmough
13. l lewis
15. p gallen
j lyon and t carney also definately picked just depends on combinations

combinations:
a) 4. j lyon, 6. t carney, 14. k gidley
b) 6. j lyon, 14. t carney

centres is still a battle between Champion, Jennings, Idris, Lawrence and Tahu, of which none could play if you went combo a and j morris is fit, or both could play if you went combo b and j morris wasn't fit. personally think Jennings is probably the only one of the young centres ready for origin but he is a bit of form but played well tonight on the wing. the aim for NSW should be for champion, idris and lawrence to all be very ready for the step up next year. they've all got the talent to play at the top level.

at 5 jennings is also leading the race there, but i'd you have to look at burt.

the safest option is probably combination a with jennings at 5, and move him to the centres with burt on the wing if j morris is not fit.

the daring option is combination b, with jennings on the wing and champion or idris at number 4. but very unlikely cause it leaves gidley out of the 17.

there is nothing in it for the backrowers. for me watmough is the best NSW backrower with lewis and gallen just in front of a strong bunch which i think should be led by waterhouse for the number 12 jersey. he would just be in front of creagh, laffranchi, bird, leyrod-lahrs, o'donnell, hoffman, g stewart, m minichello and hindmarsh. 12 players for 3 spots and you could basically raffle them to go alongside watmough. i'd rather keep lewis because of his ball playing ability.

and finally the last two spots on the bench for two props - two of Galloway, Gibbs or White.

the problem is they'll pick Gildey on the field and i just reckon that throws off the whole balance of the team. either hayne, our most dangerous attacking players goes on to the wing, or if gidley plays number 6 then it weakens our halves IMO.

probably team
1 - gidley, 2 - b morris, 3 - j morris (tahu for cover), 4 - m jennings, 5 - j hayne, 6 - j lyon, 7 - b kimmorley, 8 - b white, 9 - m ennis, 10 - m weyman, 11 - l lewis, 12 - ????, 13 - p gallen, 14 - g bird/t carney, 15 - a watmough (nsw always seem to play him off the bench), 16 - j perry, 17 - k galloway/b gibbs/w mason

not much difference but we just look a lot more dangerous with hayne at fullback

I've never quite understood the obsession people have with Hayne needing to play fullback. What's wrong with him being on the wing? For the last 2 years he has easily been the 2nd best player in the origin series when out wide.

Did you watch the Australian game last night?? To be fair, it's probally not his inability to play wing, he is just really s**t this year.

So sad that we will probally lose this series because of so many factors that we can stuff up.

a) The halves
b) Gidley at fullback
c) Gallen in the team, let alone starting.

I'd start Lewis at lock.

Soward should be nowhere near the side

I think Ennis will get picked, Farah is a much better player and also has the bonus of not being a ****.

Would love to see chris lawrence and jennings in the centres, but im sure Lyon will get picked. Dont know why, was MIA tonight and is s**t in rep footy in general

Farah is good as everything works around him at the Tigers. Similar to Smith, however QLD is built around Smith at 9. NSW don't and won't build there side around Farah. Ennis is much better at just slipping into the side and doing his job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jamie Lyon at no. 6:thumbsu: He was always gonna be in the team. He's been one of the best players this year. It was just a matter of where. I think they were hesitant to play him at centre coz of Inglis and the fact that he struggled defending against him. I think with Kimmorley there, we didnt really need a dominant no.6 so I agree with this decision.

Idris on the bench - not sure how to feel about this one

Overall pretty strong team though

It does seem strange to me to pick a player at 6 who doesn't play there for his club. What were the alternatives at 6 and 7? Barrett at 6? There must be other half-backs available?

[edit] reading Bomber's post> Is Uate eligible? Terrific player, though. And certainly the form man; you can't argue with the tries he's scored this season. How much rugby has Carney played at 7? He's looked happier at full-back from what I've seen. I take it Jennings is thought to be not fully fit?

not happy.

i'll support the boys, but it's hard to see how this set up is gonna win the game....

why Idris on the bench?? I've got no problems as such with his promotion, although i think Lawrence and Champion should be in front of him still.

But if their gonna pick Idris, pick him in the starting team. He doesn't offer much flexibility off the bench...

should've picked Todd Carney.

Centre pairing of Tahu and Cooper... Good footballers but i would've like to see the selectors mix things up and go for a young pairing.

Forwad pack is as good as we've could've picked but am very torn about not having two props on the bench - gibbs is probaly the fourth best prop but is he really origin quality?? Given the strength of our back row players it makes sense to play to our strengths. and i i love the selection of Learoy-Lahrs.

The team i would've picked
Hayne, Morris, Lawrence, Lyon, Jennings, Carney, Kimmorley
Lewis, Watmough, waterhouse, Weyman, Ennis, Perry
Gildey, White, Learoyd-Lahrs, creagh
18th man: gibbs

It does seem strange to me to pick a player at 6 who doesn't play there for his club. What were the alternatives at 6 and 7? Barrett at 6? There must be other half-backs available?

[edit] reading Bomber's post> Is Uate eligible? Terrific player, though. And certainly the form man; you can't argue with the tries he's scored this season. How much rugby has Carney played at 7? He's looked happier at full-back from what I've seen. I take it Jennings is thought to be not fully fit?

Uate is eligible, and seriously quick. What does Boyd not have..GENUINE SPEED. But no, pick Hayne who Boyd is about the same speed instead. Hayne should be FB anyway. Jennings is fit- he scored 3 tries yesterday..BUT I could have scored 2 of them! Carney is a natural 5/8th or halfback. Fact is you go through that NSW team and tell me who has a good kicking game..Kimmorley is awful, Lyon is even worse and Ennis puts kicks into the Great Southern Stand! Carney has probably the best kicking game and he can kick 40/20's with his eyes closed!

Other halfbacks would be Wallace, Finch and I guess Mullen.

one of the things i like about my backline is the flexibility hayne, carney, lyon, jennings and gidley give you. the only backs stuck in their positions are morris, lawrence and kimmorley.

you can line-up with carney at fullback, hayne on the wing, gidley in the centres, lyon at five-eight with jennings on the bench.... there are loads of possibilities and queensland can't plan for it as well i reckon.

the current backline just doesn't have really any flexibility in it at all. they change they are gonna make is as clear - idris will come into the centres, tahu to the wing, hayne to fullback, gidley into the centres or five-eight to give cooper or lyon a rest. queensland can plan for that in defence.

in saying all this new south wales will show us all up and win now. hopefully :)

I would love to see the reason as to why Gidley should be in the side. Can someone tell me what position he is in the top 2 players! He'd be lucky to be the 3rd best FB, he is carp in the halves and is well behind Farah/Ennis at hooker. Why is tehre need for a utility..Ben Creagh is in the side!

Lyon should not be at 5/8th, if he has to be in the side (and I am not sold on that) he should be at centre. Idris is 1 year too soon. Centres should be Jennings/Cooper/Josh Morris (pick 2 of them)

Other halfbacks would be Wallace, Finch and I guess Mullen.

NSW halfback stacks aren't really that strong and Kimmorley is the best option at the moment. He's playing well, he did well in Origin 3.

Wallace is ordinary, Finch is up and down like a yo-yo but his best is very good, Mullen wouldn't be a bad option but doesn't strike you as an Origin halfback. Kimmorley is on the slow side but he's still a good guider around the park.

I think we should be aiming next year at having two of Carney, Bird, Sutton or Soward in the halves. Currently Carney is the only i'd feel comfortable in the team. Bird needs a bit more time and Sutton and Soward aren't playing good enough at the moment but have more than enough talent....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back