NSW State of Origin Team 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

i certainly don't think Gidley's selection should be automatic inclusion that it currently seems.

he's a pretty good player but the NSW selectors seem to think that he is going to be some sort of saviour. i think he's a good option off the bench but certainly wouldn't be opposed to looking in other areas... you can always look at starting with greg bird at five-eight, using carney as the utility off the bench...

shouldn't be captain - that should be watmough.

add carney (should be in there now) and bird into the team (maybe origin II but certainly next year), throw the captaincy to watmough... how much more mongrel does that NSW team look that right now. three hard c**** - one elevated to captain for extra responsibility and two coming into the team.

Bird is a lock, always has been. You can only get around having Bird at 6, if Carney is at 7. Carney/Sutton or Campese should be the halves this year let alone next year. These halves will struggle to score a point between them. Soward is too inconsistent and he goes missing in big games. As for Sutton..did you see him yesterday? I know the Tigers played like 12 year old girls, but Sutton would have put on 6 tries!

i certainly don't think Gidley's selection should be automatic inclusion that it currently seems.

he's a pretty good player but the NSW selectors seem to think that he is going to be some sort of saviour. i think he's a good option off the bench but certainly wouldn't be opposed to looking in other areas... you can always look at starting with greg bird at five-eight, using carney as the utility off the bench...

shouldn't be captain - that should be watmough.

add carney (should be in there now) and bird into the team (maybe origin II but certainly next year), throw the captaincy to watmough... how much more mongrel does that NSW team look that right now. three hard c**** - one elevated to captain for extra responsibility and two coming into the team.

If they are so hellbent on putting a utility on the bench Carney should be the one. I don't understand this Gidley love, he is nothing more than a half decent first grade player. You know Newcastle are crap when Gidley is the best player. Would rather have Creagh, Whatmough and Lewis as the backrow. Waterhouse would be on my bench and I would consider TLL, and Kade Snowden for the bench, as well as Luke Douglas.

good call on campese. another not playing his greatest football but should be in the frame.

didn't see sutton yesterday, but yeah after reading about tigers it's hard to too excited about anyone from that game. good enough player for origin.

we've got a load of good young halves... and they've all got some questions about them (form - Sutton, Soward, Campo... class - Mullen, Wallace... ability to stand up - Wallace, Soward) but at some point you've just gotta pick give them a shot - at this point in time i think Carney (and a lot of people do) is ready. Rapid rise yeah, but the guy is a very good footballer. he's a hard bastard, he doesn't take s**t. that's what we need.

They'll probably win and make us look like dumbasses. lol.

I recall hearing Jennings needing to have an op and is playing on painkillers. If that's the case he need to get himself sorted asap cause he won't be selected at 50% fitness. Its a shame, he is clearly the best center they have.

not happy.

i'll support the boys, but it's hard to see how this set up is gonna win the game....

Spot on. Same selectors = same team = same result.

Other than Hayne and Morris, who will score the tries?

Why pick old man Kimmorley again when Carney has been tearing the comp apart? What makes it worse is partnering him with the non creator like Lyon. Why not pick a speedy back like Jennings? Has Tahu really done enough this season to get picked? Why not pick a worker like Hindmarsh to stand alongside turnstile Watmough in the defensive line?

How about a backline of Hayne Jennings Morris/Lyon Cooper Morris Carney Gidley? Then you have options to rotate Carney and Hayne at 5/8 and fullback to keep the cane toads guessing.

Spot on. Same selectors = same team = same result.

ultimately that's the frustrating thing. the team they'v picked really lacks any imagination. to put a spin on a common phrase, most of the guys they've picked have "been there, but not done it".... a real lack of balls shown with this team.

i really like the selection of TLL... and also nice promotion of Idris although as i said 1) I would've preferred Lawrence, Idris probably not quite there yet (but not far off) and 2) If your gonna promote Idris (or Lawrence or Champion), bring him/them into the starting side.

As for Jennings I knew he wasn't 100% fit, but don't know the extent of it, and perhaps none of us do but if he wasn't fit he wouldn't be playing club football either surely??

anyway, that's the team we've got, and i'll be at the pub cheering them on.

Lawrence would have been a shocking selection and I am beiing damn nice. Beau Champion made him look like a 12 year old girl on Sunday. His defence is so bad it is not even funny.

Jennings is fit, in fact he has said he is playing better than he was 12 months ago!

Lawrence would have been a shocking selection and I am beiing damn nice. Beau Champion made him look like a 12 year old girl on Sunday. His defence is so bad it is not even funny.

Jennings is fit, in fact he has said he is playing better than he was 12 months ago!

Lawrence is hopeless... only Tiger's fans rate him!

My Centre would've been Lyon & Either Jennings or Josh Morris... Cooper is past it! Idris off the bench? Crap call IMO, he still needs to learn a lot more about RL before being picked for state teams! The guys ALWAYS cuts back inside (His bombed about 4 or 5 tries this year because he refuses to stay outside when a break is made), his position in defence still needs some improving & his speed off the mark (He cannot turn and chase to save his life or slid).

You do need someone to shut Inglis down. I would have picked Cooper and ONE of Jennins/Morris. The thing that has hurt Morris is his injury layoff recently. The one I would have considered is Beau Champion from Souths if you really want to drop Cooper.

Allow me to demonstrate the ineptitude and cluelessness of the selectors.

From game 2 2006 (following the end of the Andrew Johns era) when the first 4 match losing streak began, the halves were Anasta and Finch. Panic set in for game 3 and they switched to Gower and ... Gasnier at 5/8th! They also dropped Craig Wing and moved Tahu from centre to the wing.

In 2007 Anasta was back in favour, paired with teenager Jarrod Mullen. We lost. By game 2 Mullen was gone, killing off the youth movement and Kimmorley made his return, to everybody's surprise. We lost again. By game 3 we realised Anasta was the problem and he was replaced by Bird. El Masri made his origin debut at what seemed like the age of 50. We won this dead rubber.

To start 2008 we dropped Kimmorley to bring in youth again in the form of Wallace to play alongside Bird. We won again and kept the same side for game 2 ... which we lost. So panic set in again. Bird was dropped, replaced by the whipping boy Anasta and Mitchell Pearce replaced Wallace. To balance the influx of youth, Craig Fitzgibbon was rediscovered. We lost the 2008 decider

... but realised that for 2009 we needed Wallace back to build around, with Campese at 5/8. Somehow Craig Wing snuck his way back onto the bench when nobody was looking and Luke Lewis made it back for just his 4th game in 9 years. Jamie Lyon came back after playing tag team with Tahu and Gasnier during most of the losing streak.

For game 2 we dumped Campese and brought back Trent Barrett in what could only be described as a victory for senior citizens, which helped seal another 4 match losing streak. In the panic of another series defeat we abandoned Wallace again and we brought back Kimmorley, Waterhouse and Craig Wing (and kept Barrett) to let the Queenslanders know how serious we were about winning another dead rubber in game 3, which we did.

So, to start 2010 we have gone back to the future again with Kimmorley at half. Jamie Lyon in a Gasnier like desperation move at 5/8, and the ageless Matt Cooper in the centres. Our only genuine match winner Hayne is shunted onto the wing, and Todd Carney and rising star Dugan can't even crack a spot on the bench. Talk about building for the future!

Meanwhile the Maroons have the lightning fast Slater, Inglis, Folau and Thurston all with plenty of experience and still in their prime. With this seemingly unimaginable speed differential between the two teams, if any of the Queenslanders break the NSW defensive line it will be try time.

How about we drop the selectors for game 3 this time around.

I wouldnt pick Jamie Lyon, he's a god club centre but useless in rep and, more to the point, doesnt give a s**t. Shouldnt be there.

Kimmorley, there is just no options currently. Pick Pearce in game 2 when he's fit again and then pick Sutton at 5/8.
Carney couldnt organise a root in a brothel and has been average this year, amongst flashes of brilliance. Has a while to go before he's back to his best. Wouldnt be bad off the bench but not a starter
Ennis will be **** if this forward pack gets bashed like it easily could. Farah is a much better player, but i can see why they chose ennis i guess.

Idris is aweful, shouldnt be on the bench.

I'd probably go

Kidley
Hayne
Jennings
Cooper
Morris
Sutton
Kimmorley/Pearce
Weyman
Farah
Perry (through lack of options)
Hindmarsh (c)
Creagh
Lewis

Watmough
TLL
Waterhouse
Carney

And in saying that im still very undecided about Kidley, im a big fan of the way he plays at Newcaslte, but in Origin he has to underplay his hand a bit more, there are other quality players there and so he has to temper his involvement a bit. NSW's lack of wingers leads me to picking that side. Other option would be

Hayne to fullback
Jennings to wing
J Morris/Lyon into centre
Kidley to the bench, Carney dropped.

or, same side with Dugan picked at fullback and Kidley on the bench with Carney dropped.

Wouldnt have been upset if Campese was chosen, harshly sropped last year.

NSW selectors have to, at some point, back young halves. Qld got their arses handed to them in 04-05 with the likes of thurston, slater etc playing (admittedly we did have Fittler/Johns, two of the best from the last 15 years) but look at them now, they are dominant. We keep going back to old heads, in particular Kimmorley, in these situations. Would prefer Barrett to Kimmorley to be honest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dugan looks an awesome talent; a bit surprised he doesn't seem to have been seriously considered. Jennings at centre (depending on which side he plays) won't stop Inglis, will he? To my eyes Campese looks to have a lot more about him than the likes of Sutton.

Kidley
Hayne
Jennings
Cooper
Morris
Sutton
Kimmorley/Pearce
Weyman
Farah
Perry (through lack of options)
Hindmarsh (c)
Creagh
Lewis

Watmough
TLL
Waterhouse
Carney

that's all well and good but no substitute prop on the bench is suicide. no matter how unfashionable and unskilled some of them may be, you just need guys who's only responsibility is to crash the ball into the opposition.

basically what everyone in this thread is getting at, is that the team the NSW has picked has lacked balls. we are seriously just covering the same old ground with the team they picked.

as it currently stands kimmorley is probably our best option at half back but picking him meant they should've picked a risky proposition at five-eight, but in jamie lyon they haven't done that.

hehe i hope the golden boy does get a run, hopefully gets the chance to smack that traitor Inglis again too.

BB - farah/ennis - robbie has been playing injured and out of position. Ennis probably does deseve first crack this year, particularly after cvc, regardless of the fact robbie is a far better player.

Allow me to demonstrate the ineptitude and cluelessness of the selectors.

From game 2 2006 (following the end of the Andrew Johns era) when the first 4 match losing streak began, the halves were Anasta and Finch. Panic set in for game 3 and they switched to Gower and ... Gasnier at 5/8th! They also dropped Craig Wing and moved Tahu from centre to the wing.

See article below. With Finch back in the team, the circle is now complete.

It's like the serial killer in the movie Seven. The selectors' work is done, and in their demented minds it is a thing of beauty. Unable to realise their own delusions, they've created an abomination that will remembered for reasons far different to what they envisaged. This is an experiemnt that should never have been allowed to continue, and I can only hope that Fulton, McCarthy and the others have the good grace to quietly exit via the back door and keep whatever remains of the dignity from their playing days.

THE Blues have called veteran playmakers Trent Barrett and Brett Finch into the NSW State of Origin squad as cover for injuries that may cause a backline reshuffle.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...tate-of-origin-i/story-e6frexnr-1225868556429

Bar Hayne who is better on the wing at this level, who could we have selected in the 1?

Is that a serious question? Gidley is crap, he shouldn't be in the team let alone at Fullback! Hayne has never been played at fullback in that level... His easily a better FB then Gidley...

I'd rather have any of the following at FB then Gidley

Hayne
Patten
Coote
Dugan
Minichello

Remove this Banner Ad

Back