Obesity Epidemic

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with this re most people. You can spot the vain ones in the gym. The ones who spend more time posing shirtless like a statue so their other shirtless mates can take pics and upload it to their little social media sites and get the 'likes' they crave. Social media definitely has given narcissists what they want.
Do you reckon hat lady should have been banned from facebook?

Agree wholeheartedly with what the Bear is saying. But alternatively - has social media given narcissists what they want, or has social media created the narcissists? I reckon it's the latter.

Can't have a fat tax because all our genetics are different. Some people could live off Maccas and never gain a pound. However this does not mean overweight people aren't to blame for their own weight

I think a lot of women excuse their weight by saying they have "curves" and somehow gaining the mindset that this is a good thing. "Curves" are good but most women who aresaying that are just plain fat.

I would put a tax on unhealthy food and cut the cost of healthy food helping even those on a tight budget to have a good lifestyle

This is a lot smarter.
I would also introduce something for parents to encourage them to get their kids into sports, possibly offering 50% off memberships for kids under the age of 16.
You could also do the same for gyms.

Healthy food needs to be a lot cheaper and more accessible than it currently is.

State and Federal Governments need to stand up and actually come up with ways to help families get in healthy habits from a young age.
But I doubt they will because the Government doesn't want you living longer as it puts a strain on the health system.

Op you sound like an arrogant fukwit

But I doubt they will because the Government doesn't want you living longer as it puts a strain on the health system.
Can't be any worse than the current situation. People living until ridiculous ages clogging up the health system and getting prolonged for no practical purpose.

This is a lot smarter.

Healthy food needs to be a lot cheaper and more accessible than it currently is.

I'm in two minds about this. Good quality fresh meat and fish can be pricey, but if you avoid woolies and coles and go to a small grocer you can get vegetables, fruit, bread, eggs fairly cheap. It takes discipline but I think you can eat well on a reasonably low budget.

Agree wholeheartedly with what the Bear is saying. But alternatively - has social media given narcissists what they want, or has social media created the narcissists? I reckon it's the latter.

A bit of both I would say.

Either way, I have little sympathy. You want to lose weight? Stop eating and start exercising. It is not a difficult concept (and I've known severely overweight people who have done it to their credit).

I'm in two minds about this. Good quality fresh meat and fish can be pricey, but if you avoid woolies and coles and go to a small grocer you can get vegetables, fruit, bread, eggs fairly cheap. It takes discipline but I think you can eat well on a reasonably low budget.

I honestly don't think you can its a lot cheaper to buy a loaf of bread cheese and ham and have sandwiches all week at work then it is to buy fish chicken and salads every day

Keep in mind most people have 30 minute lunch breaks so you need something done the night before or easy

I purchased grapes and apples from Coles on Tuesday cost me about 15 dollars which i will have all week but that's just a snack

Most days i will buy grilled fish/salmon and salad pack which sets me back 12 dollars a day

Yeah, lose some weight you fat campaigners. The sooner this nation is skinny the sooner we can start spending our hard-earned tax dollars on things we actually need... like more fighter jets or a national School Chaplaincy program.

In fact, if none of you *s (fat, skinny or otherwise) got sick we could have a nation full of School Chaplains who fly fighter jets to work. That's a Team Australia I can get behind.

So much relies on parents. Embedding the lifestyle of unhealthy eating and fat acceptance is the killer. And at the end of the day if you're fat when you're younger you're probably going to be fat when you're older.
A lot of parents are 'soft' and uneducated.
Like most things, education is the key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So much relies on parents. Embedding the lifestyle of unhealthy eating and fat acceptance is the killer. And at the end of the day if you're fat when you're younger you're probably going to be fat when you're older.

Agreed 100%

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very true. I've lost a decent amount of weight since I've had my oldest boy (he's 2). Apart from treats, I'm not going to feed him unhealthy stuff all the time. Leads to lots of trips to the fruit and veg store but I just eat what he eats and we're all better for it.

So, what education is in place? Surely they still have health, P.E and home ec at schools?

Very true. I've lost a decent amount of weight since I've had my oldest boy (he's 2). Apart from treats, I'm not going to feed him unhealthy stuff all the time. Leads to lots of trips to the fruit and veg store but I just eat what he eats and we're all better for it.

So, what education is in place? Surely they still have health, P.E and home ec at schools?
Re: education question...
Yeah they do still them. I think there should be more education to parents who are in the pregnancy stage of having kids. The woman sees plenty of health professionals during pregnancy and I think there should be greater education given to the parents about how they should be feeding and what's nutritious, what isn't. Maybe even suggest cooking classes...

Its quite interesting, I think now days there is a lot of emphasis on the way you look and thus a lot of people are going to the gym etc and looking after themselves. But stats show we are more obese than ever.

We used to do morning fitness when I was in year 6/7. Pretty sure it was first thing, about 8am or whenever it is school starts, before the first lesson of the day.

Do schools still do stuff like this, or have we invented enough reasons for 11/12 year old kids to not run around and play sport?

My mother and the mothers of several kids I used to knock around with always insisted we were heavy participants in sports to keep us out of strife.

My mother and the mothers of several kids I used to knock around with always insisted we were heavy participants in sports to keep us out of strife.

We had a half acre semi-rural block and a pool, so I grew up with enough room to kick a footy around the backyard and was used to being in the pool (not swimming hundreds of laps obviously) from a pretty early age. I was pretty lucky there, but the local oval/tennis courts etc. and primary school were only a k or two away anyway.

I always had a bike of some sort and played tennis, hockey and basketball during primary school age. I'm not particularly athletically gifted but I always enjoyed playing these sports and was in hindsight a pretty active kid. We probably had takeaways for dinner maybe once a week, and we had to ask to have a soft drink with a meal or dessert after dinner, a request which was generally rejected. I had a SNES then an N64, but wasn't allowed a TV in my room and would get punted off the TV if I was playing it for hours on end.

Do people still raise kids like this, or was my 90s upbringing some sort of 1950s mystery to modern parents?

We had a half acre semi-rural block and a pool, so I grew up with enough room to kick a footy around the backyard and was used to being in the pool (not swimming hundreds of laps obviously) from a pretty early age. I was pretty lucky there, but the local oval/tennis courts etc. and primary school were only a k or two away anyway.

I always had a bike of some sort and played tennis, hockey and basketball during primary school age. I'm not particularly athletically gifted but I always enjoyed playing these sports and was in hindsight a pretty active kid. We probably had takeaways for dinner maybe once a week, and we had to ask to have a soft drink with a meal or dessert after dinner, a request which was generally rejected. I had a SNES then an N64, but wasn't allowed a TV in my room and would get punted off the TV if I was playing it for hours on end.

Do people still raise kids like this, or was my 90s upbringing some sort of 1950s mystery to modern parents?
I was generally the same. Even though my mother and friends mothers used to insist on us playing sport, it's not like we were forced - we wanted to play, but they knew that if we had idle hands we'd soon find ourselves stirring up trouble somewhere.

Soft drink was quite rare for me - if I went to McDonalds for a treat or a birthday party or something, but it was generally never allowed all the time like a few kids I knew. Had 80s and 90s video games like NES, Sega, SNES but there'd be a limit set on that too, and at the time, I would have chosen to go and have a kick with some mates in the park over a video game 9 times out of 10.

Used to get home from school, get changed and go straight out the front to kick the footy and I'd be at it for a good two or so hours. Used to use the power pole and a tree as the goals (children tend not to have imaginations these days!) and I'd practice goal-kicking from all angles and distances. I remember torping it straight through the middle from what seemed like a fair way out when I was about 10....all while pretending I was lining up for the match! :D

Kids are born into an age these days where technology is everywhere and they can't escape it, and the parents are addicted to technology and gadgets - phones, tablets, ipods, the internet, everything. I'm glad I was a kid when I was (born '81) - sure there were video games, but the internet was yet to become a 'thing' which is central to the obesity crisis.

I wouldn't say I was spoilt and got junk food all the time, but I wouldn't say I never had it at all. It was in moderation and that was that.

I would not grow up in these precious, technologically saturated times for f*****g quids.

Used to get home from school, get changed and go straight out the front to kick the footy and I'd be at it for a good two or so hours. Used to use the power pole and a tree as the goals (children tend not to have imaginations these days!) and I'd practice goal-kicking from all angles and distances. I remember torping it straight through the middle from what seemed like a fair way out when I was about 10....all while pretending I was lining up for the match! :D

We had two trees in the front yard made for footy. I'm not an arborist but one was black with rough bark and the other white with smooth bark. Both natives of some sort. Anyway they were both around 6-8 inches in diameter and went straight up without any branches for the first 10-15m, and they were conveniently only a couple of metres apart. Many set shots for goal were kicked. Up the driveway, down the driveway. Around the corner from the carport. Checkside from the road. Nostalgia feels.....

Anyway, something something fatties go outside and kick a ball around something something.

We used to do morning fitness when I was in year 6/7. Pretty sure it was first thing, about 8am or whenever it is school starts, before the first lesson of the day.

Do schools still do stuff like this, or have we invented enough reasons for 11/12 year old kids to not run around and play sport?
Never had pre-school sport but had PE as a subject, school sport once a week and of course the lunch time games.
In terms of PE, when I went to school it was pretty easy for girls to get out of it if they weren't interested (period pain excuse) and the boys were able to sort of stand there and not get involved if they didn't want. These days its even harder for teachers to get the kids to participate if they aren't interested - the days of the ex-military gym instructor spitting and yelling in kids faces are gone...

We had two trees in the front yard made for footy. I'm not an arborist but one was black with rough bark and the other white with smooth bark. Both natives of some sort. Anyway they were both around 6-8 inches in diameter and went straight up without any branches for the first 10-15m, and they were conveniently only a couple of metres apart. Many set shots for goal were kicked. Up the driveway, down the driveway. Around the corner from the carport. Checkside from the road. Nostalgia feels.....

Anyway, something something fatties go outside and kick a ball around something something.
The power pole and the tree I used to use weren't very generous with the space between them (would have been short of what it usually is) which is why I like to think I was such a dead-eye shot on goal when I played footy. :p:D

Add to that the all-round diameter of a power pole and it was easy to 'hit the post'. Great practice it was!

I also wonder whether those morning physical education classes still exist in primary schools these days.

In year 6 the class had to do those beep tests against the year 7s.

In year 5 the class had to do health hussle classes whilst listening to Cliff Richard and Beatles music.

When I was a kid I also used to go in the backyard and play footy by myself pretending to play two teams. The posts to a gate were the goals at one end and the other end the space between a garden kerb and a shed were the other goals. No computers and no video games to play so got out and took the initiative to not stay bored.

Last edited:
When I was a kid I also used to go in the backyard and play footy by myself pretending to play two teams. The posts to a gate were the goals at one end and the other end the space between a garden kerb and a shed were the other goals. No computers and no video games to play so got out and took the initiative to not stay bored.
I used to do that too. Was always incredibly embarrassing when someone would awkwardly interrupt my commentary and crowd noises in between plays hahaha

Used to spend most of my childhood either outside kicking the footy, playing cricket or riding my bike. Used to live near the bush so I'd often go exploring out there with mates. Parents didn't care at all (were probably glad to get rid of me for a few hours haha), but these days it seems parents are scared that the worst thing could happen whenever their kids do anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Back