Opinions on a cheap PC

Remove this Banner Ad

Partial credit (in relation to the "upload speed" comment) as it won't make a difference.

........................ Just no :drunk:
Going off of advice in this thread and Whirlpool. Here is my current build:

https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=276795&action=wish_lists

Upgraded to a newer model mobo than what I had. Got RAM that runs at 1600, not 1333 for the same price. Swapped the GPU (still 1 GB, don't plan to play games so 2GB doesn't phase me). Cheaper, yet still nice looking case with great cooling. Swapped from blue to black WD HDD 1TB as a few people said black runs very hot and loud, and expensive. Save around $60 so I might look into upgrading a mobo that runs 1800 RAM.

Any suggestions in what I can get with the $60 I saved?

I've moved on to choosing a keyboard, mouse, speakers and a monitor.

I have the keyboard in mind I plan on getting.
Microsoft SideWinder X4

Might switch to a cheaper wireless keyboard though. Any suggestions on what Monitor (21-24" cheapish), mouse and speakers I should get? I don't really use speakers, I usually have my beats plugged in so they don't have to be anything special.

I've moved on to choosing a keyboard, mouse, speakers and a monitor.

I have the keyboard in mind I plan on getting.
Microsoft SideWinder X4

Might switch to a cheaper wireless keyboard though. Any suggestions on what Monitor (21-24" cheapish), mouse and speakers I should get? I don't really use speakers, I usually have my beats plugged in so they don't have to be anything special.

Samsung monitors are pretty decent, but you probably can't go wrong with any name brand model. Mouse is up to what type you prefer, cheap speakers are going to be ordinary anyway (about as good as your beats :p) so pick some that look pretty. Logitech's budget speakers are ok.

Samsung monitors are pretty decent, but you probably can't go wrong with any name brand model. Mouse is up to what type you prefer, cheap speakers are going to be ordinary anyway (about as good as your beats :p) so pick some that look pretty. Logitech's budget speakers are ok.
I legit just chose the cheapest on PCCG, it's not HDMI, but I highly doubt I'll find one for under $170 with HDMI let alone a 22-24" for under $170. Added a keyboard and mouse, and speakers to the build (might even just grab a $20 keyboard and mouse package, not fussed really). I want the SideWinder X4 but I don't think it's being produced anymore and it's hard to find in AUS stores so postage would be like a million bucks haha.

I legit just chose the cheapest on PCCG, it's not HDMI, but I highly doubt I'll find one for under $170 with HDMI let alone a 22-24" for under $170.

Had a quick look here and there's 22-23" IPS monitors within your price range (or slightly above) with HDMI, there's also DVI which is just HDMI without audio so you have two inputs.

Had a quick look here and there's 22-23" IPS monitors within your price range (or slightly above) with HDMI, there's also DVI which is just HDMI without audio so you have two inputs.
Didn't even think to check there, thanks!! Think I'll settle on this IPS monitor:
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=558_1368&products_id=23248

Here's what I'm set on after spending a good few hours swapping parts, spending on better parts etc. Without peripherals it was around $860, with it comes to $1,236 - including upgraded RAM to 12GB from 8GB. I'm sure I can get the parts cheaper so hopefully I'll save around $100-150 when buying from other stores etc.

I think as I'm only learning about PC hardware, this is a decent build for my first PC that I'll be building. I've only ever really used crappy laptops with liek 4 GB RAM, apart from my current iMac i5 2.7 GHZ 8 GB RAM 1 TB HDD. Hoping to dual boot this new PC with ubuntu as well, a big fan of it when I last used it.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=276795&action=wish_lists

Didn't even think to check there, thanks!! Think I'll settle on this IPS monitor:
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=558_1368&products_id=23248

Here's what I'm set on after spending a good few hours swapping parts, spending on better parts etc. Without peripherals it was around $860, with it comes to $1,236 - including upgraded RAM to 12GB from 8GB. I'm sure I can get the parts cheaper so hopefully I'll save around $100-150 when buying from other stores etc.

I think as I'm only learning about PC hardware, this is a decent build for my first PC that I'll be building. I've only ever really used crappy laptops with liek 4 GB RAM, apart from my current iMac i5 2.7 GHZ 8 GB RAM 1 TB HDD. Hoping to dual boot this new PC with ubuntu as well, a big fan of it when I last used it.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=276795&action=wish_lists

Don't buy that RAM kit! It's designed for triple channel boards. Just stick with 8gb and use the extra $50 to get your fancy keyboard

Don't buy that RAM kit! It's designed for triple channel boards. Just stick with 8gb and use the extra $50 to get your fancy keyboard
Ditto on the ram. Buy either 2 or 4.
So either 8 GB or 16 GB? Why not the 12? the mobo holds 4 DDR3 at the same 1600 speed? Am I missing something or need to learn about something here? Haha

So either 8 GB or 16 GB? Why not the 12? the mobo holds 4 DDR3 at the same 1600 speed? Am I missing something or need to learn about something here? Haha

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-channel_memory_architecture

RAM slots are divided into channels, most consumer systems use dual channel but there are a few triple/quad channel setups out there. For it to function properly you need to have the same RAM in each channel, the triple channel stuff will probably work, but you'd need to disable dual channel in BIOS which will cost you a bit of performance. You're better off getting a 2x4gb or 2x8gb kit, and if you need the extra RAM down the track then buy another kit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-channel_memory_architecture

RAM slots are divided into channels, most consumer systems use dual channel but there are a few triple/quad channel setups out there. For it to function properly you need to have the same RAM in each channel, the triple channel stuff will probably work, but you'd need to disable dual channel in BIOS which will cost you a bit of performance. You're better off getting a 2x4gb or 2x8gb kit, and if you need the extra RAM down the track then buy another kit.

Ahh. I understand now. Best I do what was said above and spend the $50 on a keyboard :) Thank you all for your help. :}

Just as an additional for now, as I already have an ethernet running across the floor into my room.
Can't find a 2GB version of the r7 250. Only an OC one which I read OC is not for those who don't know what they are doing %100. Found this one though:
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=26517&cPath=877

Thoughts? Or a link to another one that is good!

If it's factory OC then you don't need to do anything, and even if other cards are clockable it doesn't mean you have to mess with their settings. I recommend you go with a GPU and not with the integrated one from personal experience. You don't need the best one, but for video editing the integrated ones are really not that great. Much smoother with even a mid-low end unit.

If it's factory OC then you don't need to do anything, and even if other cards are clockable it doesn't mean you have to mess with their settings. I recommend you go with a GPU and not with the integrated one from personal experience. You don't need the best one, but for video editing the integrated ones are really not that great. Much smoother with even a mid-low end unit.
That's what I thought too. I feel like something small that isn't too $ (this one http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=26942) may come in handy if I ever decided to do something more than minimal editing. I can always find a better one in future once I come into more money, right?!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's what I thought too. I feel like something small that isn't too $ (this one http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=26942) may come in handy if I ever decided to do something more than minimal editing. I can always find a better one in future once I come into more money, right?!

Your motherboard supports Crossfire, in theory you could just throw another ATI card in for a performance boost....... although your PSU may hold you back there.

Your motherboard supports Crossfire, in theory you could just throw another ATI card in for a performance boost....... although your PSU may hold you back there.
With having crossfire, does it matter if both GPU's don't run at the same speed? Like if I had the current GPU and added one that runs at a lower speed.

For example would the current one work and just for example sake this cheapo one: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_877&products_id=25169

You can't crossfire with your current build
PCIe slot 1 = GPU
PCI slot = not suitable
PCI slot = not suitable
PCIe slot 2 = Wifi card

Mobo is already full.

As a general rule don't buy 2 of a weaker component when you can afford 1 of a better one.

Multi GPU general rule, stick to the same chip family. Brands and clock speeds can be mismatched.

AMD/ATI can mix chips. But it is bloody confusing as to compatibility.

Like I already posted spend an extra $70 on a much more powerful & Crossfire compatible 7850 even if you don't intend on gaming for the time being.

There is no such thing as overkill.
There is such a thing as spending good money after bad.

You can't crossfire with your current build
PCIe slot 1 = GPU
PCI slot = not suitable
PCI slot = not suitable
PCIe slot 2 = Wifi card

Mobo is already full.

As a general rule don't buy 2 of a weaker component when you can afford 1 of a better one.

Multi GPU general rule, stick to the same chip family. Brands and clock speeds can be mismatched.

AMD/ATI can mix chips. But it is bloody confusing as to compatibility.

Like I already posted spend an extra $70 on a much more powerful & Crossfire compatible 7850 even if you don't intend on gaming for the time being.

There is no such thing as overkill.
There is such a thing as spending good money after bad.
I thought I had got what you meant then I started looking into specs and don't think what I now want works together either. I am really stuck. Can you guys link me to a few mobos that have crossfire support and a GPU or two (worth around the same price as this). More I don't think the wifi card works with this MOBO, as I don't see any PSI 2.0 slots?

MOBO: MSI B85-G43 Gaming Motherboard MSI B85-G43
GPU: Sapphire Radeon R7 260X 2GB not sure the core clock works either with the MOBO (1050MHz)

Build: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=276795&action=wish_lists

I will eventually get the hang of this. Ffs

I thought I had got what you meant then I started looking into specs and don't think what I now want works together either. I am really stuck. Can you guys link me to a few mobos that have crossfire support and a GPU or two (worth around the same price as this). More I don't think the wifi card works with this MOBO, as I don't see any PSI 2.0 slots?

MOBO: MSI B85-G43 Gaming Motherboard MSI B85-G43
GPU: Sapphire Radeon R7 260X 2GB not sure the core clock works either with the MOBO (1050MHz)

Build: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=276795&action=wish_lists

I will eventually get the hang of this. Ffs
*in Lay terms...
B85-G43-GAMING-large.jpg

Tilt your head to the right, from the top next to the white star:

Slot 1 is PCIe 1, the e is for Express, 1 = short length/less lanes (bandwidth)
Slot 2 is PCIe 3, again Express, 3 = full size & 16 lanes
Slot 3 is PCIe 1
Slot 4 is PCI. Dunno what goes in a PCI slot, assuming old tech.
Slot 5 is PCIe 2, full size, 8 lanes.
Slots 6 & 7 both PCI

For your components:
Slot 1 install WiFi card
Slot 2 install primary GPU (most GPU's are dual slot width so it will physically block the next available slot (slot 3)
Slot 3 N/A blocked by GPU
Slot 4 N/A
Slot 5 install secondary GPU (will block slot 6 also)
Slot 6 N/A blocked
Slot 7 N/A

All PCIe slots have a notch about 15mm in from the left, this will line up with an indent in whatever PCB you want to install...

GPU clock speed is independant and irrelevant to compatibility. Think of clock speed as engine RPM. More RPM more power shorter lifespan..... (Do NOT stress factory OC's will last years and years!)

Solid rig :thumbsu:

*in Lay terms...

Tilt your head to the right, from the top next to the white star:

Slot 1 is PCIe 1, the e is for Express, 1 = short length/less lanes (bandwidth)
Slot 2 is PCIe 3, again Express, 3 = full size & 16 lanes
Slot 3 is PCIe 1
Slot 4 is PCI. Dunno what goes in a PCI slot, assuming old tech.
Slot 5 is PCIe 2, full size, 8 lanes.
Slots 6 & 7 both PCI

For your components:
Slot 1 install WiFi card
Slot 2 install primary GPU (most GPU's are dual slot width so it will physically block the next available slot (slot 3)
Slot 3 N/A blocked by GPU
Slot 4 N/A
Slot 5 install secondary GPU (will block slot 6 also)
Slot 6 N/A blocked
Slot 7 N/A

All PCIe slots have a notch about 15mm in from the left, this will line up with an indent in whatever PCB you want to install...

GPU clock speed is independant and irrelevant to compatibility. Think of clock speed as engine RPM. More RPM more power shorter lifespan..... (Do NOT stress factory OC's will last years and years!)

Solid rig :thumbsu:
So what I'm getting from this, is this?:
y2hGRAz.png

So my current build is good, for now? A bit over my budget, but if I wait a few more weeks I'll be able to get it all.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php..._lists&zenid=24f5f04319f52a1a995b8199736a04c1

Maybe a year or two after I've had it I can upgrade the GPU to an OC and have a second either non or OC (if that works). I think for now, if this is all compatible, it'll do me for now.

Nice case.
No GPU?

Good luck with assembly. It's a piece of cake and almost impossible to stuff up. :thumbsu:
Just got home with it! Haven't opened it yet, going to wait until I'm ready with all the parts. They had a model out where I picked it up from and damn it's nice! I spoke to a bunch of people about if I really needed it, and a few said that for what I want - on-board will be enough, and I can always add it in at a later date. I've watched multiple videos of putting it all together, which I'm super confident in hence buying parts by myself now rather than what I was going to do. + this way, it wont get damaged in shipping etc. Should be fun.

Plan on getting RED LED fans in future (when I can afford it, so probably a few months after I build) for the look of it. I'll keep posting the stuff I get in here if anyone is interested.

Just got home with it! Haven't opened it yet, going to
wait until I'm ready with all the parts. They had a model out where I picked it up from and damn it's nice! I spoke to a bunch of people about if I really needed it, and a few said that for what I want - on-board will be enough, and I can always add it in at a later date. I've watched multiple videos of putting it all together, which I'm super confident in hence buying parts by myself now rather than what I was going to do. + this way, it wont get damaged in shipping etc. Should be fun.

Plan on getting RED LED fans in future (when I can afford it, so probably a few months after I build) for the look of it. I'll keep posting the stuff I get in here if anyone is interested.

Good move with the GPU. Personally, I really hate spending good money after bad, hence why I was so hell bent on talking you out of the low end cards. Wait a bit & weigh up your options.

Black & red case, red led fans, red ram, blue mobo? surely that deserves an upgrade? ;)

Keep posting as your build takes shape mate. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back