Order that you rate the individual player awards

Remove this Banner Ad

1. AFLCA

All individual awards are midfielder heavy. Club B&Fs the best chance for defenders and forwards but probably still dominated by midfielders. They are generally the best players so it sort of makes sense and the game has changed to make it harder for forwards to hit the highs of pre 2000 with 100+ goal seasons.

Wouldn't mind some sort of defensive player of the year award. Not attacking defenders but focused on proper defensive minded defenders. It's the only way they will get recognition beyond the AA team. Or even a best forward award as well, given the trend towards midfield dominance this century.

Exactly what Hardwick did to Stewart after the Prestia Incident

Stewart clearly best man on the ground by the length of the Flemington Straight and he gave Zero votes
Lmao that's wrong. Baker got 9 coaches votes. So one coach had him BOG and the other had him second. Let's say Hardwick gave Baker BOG, then Scott gave his 5 votes to either Stengle or Blicavs. Full voting was this:

Baker - 9
Stengle - 6
Blicavs - 5
Sniper Stewart - 4
Guthrie - 2
Lynch - 2
Tuohy - 1
Cameron - 1

Last edited by a moderator:
Lmao that's wrong. Baker got 9 coaches votes. So one coach had him BOG and the other had him second. Let's say Hardwick gave Baker BOG, then Scott gave his 5 votes to either Stengle or Blicavs. Full voting was this:

Baker - 9
Stengle - 6
Blicavs - 5
Sniper Stewart - 4
Guthrie - 2
Lynch - 2
Tuohy - 1
Cameron - 1

5s went to Baker & Blicavs
4s to Baker & Stewart
both 3s to Stengle.

So
Baker got 5/4
Blicavs 5/0
Stewart 4/0
Stengle 3/3
and the rest only got votes from one coach.

Which means the coach who gave Baker 5 gave Stewart 4 and ignored Blicavs, while the other coach gave Blicavs 5, Baker 4 and ignored Stewart.

(that's the only way the maths works)

Exactly what Hardwick did to Stewart after the Prestia Incident

Stewart clearly best man on the ground by the length of the Flemington Straight and he gave Zero votes

If it was Hardwick who ignored Stewart, then it means he gave 5 to Blicavs (who Scott ignored)

Last edited by a moderator:

The Brownlow has always been viewed as the ultimate individual award for the home and away season in Australian Football, although it's always been recognised as a flawed process. If I was a player I would rate the Norm smith as the number one individual award, and I'd take a premiership medal over all of them. But want to keep this specifically to individual home and away season awards.

Over the past couple of decades I think the Brownlow has lost a bit of ground to some of the other individual awards.

In what order do you rate these?

• Brownlow
  • AFLCA player of the year
  • AFLPA MVP
  • Newspaper awards
My ratings

[*]Brownlow - Voted on by experts and generally unbiased (although Greg Williams was robbed), but don't always have the best view of whats going on.
Experts??

Most valuable you have to ask isn't Touk more valuable to his team then Brayshaw, or what about Sicily to Hawthorn, or Curnow/McKay to Carlton it's such a murky area
Yeah, and Melbourne doesn't have a backup ruckman - so if Gawn goes down they are stuffed and most likely would not be playing finals - does that make him the MVP even though Oliver had a better season?

I 100% think the players are saying "Best Player" when voting for the MVP.

The only thing I am convinced of is that the Chas and AA are especially useless
Amen to that.

All Australian is just laughable in it's relevance.

Having said that, I'd bet it's very high on individual players' list of cool things.

What makes it irrelevant is the selection process, and like all awards - they're ultimately just someone's opinion.

Now most things in life are just someone's opinion - but the problem is that we literally get to see how the people that make these decisions think on an almost daily basis. And they're legit cretins.

If you listen to Luke Darcy or Cameron Ling call a game, you'd be excused for thinking they're genuinely not the full quid. Yet here they are, deciding who becomes an All-Australian player.

Last edited:
It sounds like listening to players and commentary that the players put the mvp at the top.
As players say to be voted by your peers as the best player in the comp is a massive honour as opposed to umpires that never played the game.
As a punter I probably put Brownlow at top just it’s prestige more then it’s substance.
I like the idea of the coaches award but feel it lacks validity if Judd cousins and Fyfe didn’t win it in years they dominated the league.

The only really relevant awards are those voted week by week because they have some substance to them based on the voter having watched an individual performance.

The awards which are just given out at the end of the year, such as the AFLPA MVP and All Aust, really aren’t worth much. People voting and deciding them haven’t seen all players play every game… it’s more about profile, reputation etc.

Brownlow is the most prestigious.

Brownlow
MVP
Norm Smith

Rising Star
AA (a little bit)
Coleman (a little bit)

I don't really take note of any of the others.

Game-by-game fixed number voting (e.g. 3-2-1) is dumb in theory, but unfortunately the best system in practice. It's a relative measure of performance, not an absolute measure. Each game, there are fixed votes that must be awarded to the players who performed the best in that game relative to the other players in that game. It does not measure the best absolute performance across the season. However, in general people are basically incapable of judging absolute performance (see all those dumb media awards where they give arbitrary ratings – consistently dumb). At least the fixed number voting provides some consistency to dumb opinions.

1. Brownlow
  2. AFLCA
  3. AFLPA
  4. Grand Final Sprint
  5. Mad Monday Best Costume Award
  6. C. Judd
  7. Media awards
You forgot the Golden Fist, although that’s gone down hill since we lost Spud. It’s become the attacking defenders award instead of defensive stopper.

I value the coaches award the most, as coaches have the best view of who is actually influencing a game. Yes, there is sometimes pettiness involved, but all awards are subject to this.

Brownlow next but only for midfielders (other positions don't even get a look in). I think the Coleman is pretty good for the best forward (you have to be one of the best to win it, even if it just goes off one KPI - goals).

Players MVP would be good if all players were nominated and the players took it seriously.

Media awards last as those nuffies have no idea what is going on. Club BnF sits as this level - every club awards one each year, regardless of how s**t they've been.

The voting procedure for the award is:
  • At the end of the regular season, each team votes for three players (previously two) to be considered for election.
  • Two weeks into the finals, the AFLPA sends a final ballot to all players throughout the league. Players cannot vote for their own teammates; in fact, the ballots sent to each team are redacted to remove that team's nominees. Each player awards three votes to the player he believes is the best in the league, two votes to the second-best, and one vote to the third-best. The leading vote-getter receives the trophy.
Prior to 2011, each player cast a single vote for the award.

The award is roughly analogous to the Brownlow Medal, the traditional "best and fairest" award in the league. However, the voting system is completely different: the Brownlow Medal awards votes on a game-by-game basis, while Leigh Matthews Trophy awards a single vote based on the entire season. In particular, this has meant that key-position players have been more likely to win this award than the Brownlow Medal. For example, Wayne Carey, generally regarded as one of the league's all-time great key-position players, never won the Brownlow Medal, but he won this honour twice.

The Leigh Matthews Trophy is strictly for the most valuable player, not the best and fairest as is the case with the Brownlow Medal. A league disciplinary suspension, which renders a player ineligible for the Brownlow, does not exclude a player from contention for the Matthews Trophy. In 1996, Corey McKernan finished tied in the Brownlow voting with that season's winners James Hird and Michael Voss, but he was disqualified from the Brownlow because of a disciplinary suspension. However, McKernan won the AFLPA MVP award that season.

View attachment 1490679
View attachment 1490680

Sadly no Forward/Backman/Ruck/Utility has won it since 2004

Hence it has become a midfielder award
Wow - that voting system is bogus. Have a big end to the season, with lots of media hype and you've got a much better chance as voting is at the end of the season only.

Wow - that voting system is bogus. Have a big end to the season, with lots of media hype and you've got a much better chance as voting is at the end of the season only.
im guessing it will be like some EPL clubs they get told who to vote for

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ROAR!
BF only.
Rest just for publicity.
Umpires rating players?
GUFFAAWWWW!

Devil's advocate time...

The Brownlow is the only 'best player' award adjudicated by
A) Person/s directly involved in the game
and
B) Impartial

Every other award is subject to bias.

The AA is the least valuable as it's just a small group of blokes in a function room at AFL house chowing down on the catered lunch having a chat about their favourite players. I mean, Glen Jackovich hasn't exactly hidden his loathing of Freo over the years, but we are to believe he's impartial? Give me a break.

The AFLPA award is more an acknowledgement of ‘Status’ as opposed to an award based on analysing and comparing each performance over the course of the year.
I'm surprised Max Gawn hasn't dominated. That guy just needs to stand in front of a microphone and fart and the Vic media lose their s**t.

I don't rate individual player awards at all. More then ever, everyone has vested interests in the media and even the Brownlow is literally a statistics exercise by the umpires after the game. I am not even sure the players rate awards anymore.
Tend to agree with this though I imagine club B&F (and other club based awards) would have some currency with the players.

Tend to agree with this though I imagine club B&F (and other club based awards) would have some currency with the players.
Even those are open to manipulation. There are a lot of contracts where they matter so don't be surprised when the bean counters do a little bit of flexing around the edges so the total player payments are kept in check.

Even those are open to manipulation. There are a lot of contracts where they matter so don't be surprised when the bean counters do a little bit of flexing around the edges so the total player payments are kept in check.
I need to up my conspiracy game.

I probably rated the AFLCA most highly. It's generally an award that most players are capable of winning, as we see coaches give votes to all manor of player whether they be forward, mid, ruck or defender. I also think they have the best understanding of the game from an impact/tactical level.

Media awards next. Depending on which ones. At the very least, most footy analysts that do the voting at least watch a lot of football with a general view of analyzing the game. They also seem to be able to recognize that it's more than just center square midfielders that influence a game.

The AFL MVP is purely hype. Most players don't watch enough footy to get a good holistic view, and a lot of their votes is based on the general vibe.

The Brownlow is the one I rate the least. Going into every count, I can probably rule out dozens of gun players who have no chance of winning it regardless of their seasons. It's an extremely niche award for a specific player type, that didn't get suspended.

Like the WA media does about WCE players?

Not this year, it’s all about the ‘Purple Army’ and #flagmantle

They are even dropping nicknames for off-brand ‘Royal Crown Cola’ types like Rory Lobb and Will Brodie. 😉

The Eagles stories are mostly about injuries, how old the playing list is, how much they get paid and what Paul Haselby thinks will fix everything.

Not this year, it’s all about the ‘Purple Army’ and #flagmantle

They are even dropping nicknames for off-brand ‘Royal Crown Cola’ types like Rory Lobb and Will Brodie. 😉

The Eagles stories are mostly about injuries, how old the playing list is, how much they get paid and what Paul Haselby thinks will fix everything.

I sense a disturbance in the force.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back