News Our 'top up' SANFL players?

Remove this Banner Ad

From the club web site

Eyre Peninsula products join senior contract list
Matthew Agius March 25, 2015 6:32 PM

THE Eyre Peninsula will be strongly represented in Port Adelaide’s SANFL contract list this year, following the signing of Ciaran Hollingworth-Hughes and Sidney Masters to be senior Magpies in 2015.

Hollingworth-Hughes and Masters, both 20, were offered new contracts on both the back of injecting versatility into the club’s senior contract list, but particularly strong pre-seasons on the track.

See Port website for full story

Last edited by a moderator:

My bad - slight mistake. It was to Tea Tree Gully.

My lad plays for Modbury U18's and his mates told him about it. Think it was either last weekend or the weekend before.

Wouldn't the Academy side at the moment be an under-strength team of kids trying out for spots?

Yeah, the Magpies results don't really mean anything at this stage of the season. You have to think about the trickledown effect.

The Power have been running out with 4 extra players every week for the NAB Challenge and it's extra allocated bench spots, that's 4 players gone from the Magpies. Hartlett, Wingard, Monfries, Ryder and Trengove have all been unavailable, that's 5 guys playing for the Power who would otherwise have been playing for the Magpies. Shaw and Colquhoun have been injured, that's 2 more gone. We've already reached 11 players, or half (and most likely the top half) of the Magpie 22 being out every week, and that's without even considering players who have been rested week-to-week like Krakouer or Magpie injuries like Biemans.

And obviously the trickledown effect continues into the Academy side. If there are 11 players missing from the Magpie 22, then the best 11 players from the Academy 22 will be replacing them at senior level, which means they're no longer playing at Academy level.

And if the game coincided with the Richmond trial match the effect would have been even more pronounced. They would have had to field some Rosewater u12s.

Yeah, the Magpies results don't really mean anything at this stage of the season. You have to think about the trickledown effect.

The Power have been running out with 4 extra players every week for the NAB Challenge and it's extra allocated bench spots, that's 4 players gone from the Magpies. Hartlett, Wingard, Monfries, Ryder and Trengove have all been unavailable, that's 5 guys playing for the Power who would otherwise have been playing for the Magpies. Shaw and Colquhoun have been injured, that's 2 more gone. We've already reached 11 players, or half (and most likely the top half) of the Magpie 22 being out every week, and that's without even considering players who have been rested week-to-week like Krakouer or Magpie injuries like Biemans.

And obviously the trickledown effect continues into the Academy side. If there are 11 players missing from the Magpie 22, then the best 11 players from the Academy 22 will be replacing them at senior level, which means they're no longer playing at Academy level.

True, still I don't like it.

Big question is why are we not trialling against other sanfl clubs? Are they being sourpusses and refusing to acknowledge us until they're forced to do so when games count for points?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

from the club web site:-

Heartland represented in final three contracts signed for SANFL list

Matthew Agius April 1, 2015 6:27 PM

PORT Adelaide’s SANFL list has been finalised with three ‘heartland’ players being offered the final contracts to play League football for the club in 2015.

Sean Davidson, Jack Haarsma and Luke Wilson join the ‘contract list’ spearheaded by Magpies captain Steven Summerton.

All three hail from Port Adelaide’s traditional, albeit now defunct zones.

Haarsma joined the club from Cummins, having played for the local Ramblers footy club, and is glad to be given the chance to earn a League game.

“It means a lot to be given the opportunity to earn a League game throughout the year,” Haarsma said.

“I came over as a junior in Under-16s, Under-18s and always dreamed of having an opportunity to play League in the Maggies jumper.

“It gives me something to work for, something to strive for, it means a lot to me.

Davidson is a local lad from North Haven, who grew up supporting Port in both the AFL and SANFL, and is excited by the opportunity to earn a senior spot each week.

“My family is full of Port supporters and it was always a dream of mine work hard through the ranks, the chance to play some League footy means a lot to me,” Davidson said.

“It’s such a great club, it’s a relief to earn a reward for some hard work.

“I’m one of the lucky ones to earn this contract, so I’ll need to keep working hard at training and on the day. It's what I really focussed hard on during the pre-season and I've got to keep it up."

Wilson is formerly of the Magpies, having originally come to Alberton from Salisbury West, before moving on to the club's traditional rivals Norwood.

His brother Anthony is the former Magpie and Redleg drafted to the Crows in this year's rookie draft.

The pair played against each other in a recent trial game at Alberton, but Luke knows he needs to tick all the boxes early in the year if he's to have another chance in the regular season.

“It was the first we’d played against each other, but we were at different ends, so we didn’t see much of each other," Wilson said.

“I’d love the chance to have a crack at him again.”

“My fitness needed a bit of work coming into this pre-season - I had a bit of time out of the system last year - I needed to adapt to being back in an SANFL team."

Port Adelaide's SANFL League and Academy teams will play final trial games against Goodwood Saints and Prince Alfred Old Collegians at Thebarton on Thursday night, ahead of its first games against South Adelaide at Noarlunga on Friday 10 April.

from the club web site:-

our top up players

SANFL list

No Player Name Ht Wt DoB Debut Recruited From 2015 Career 2015 Career

29 Anthony Biemans 178 82 29.03.90 Rd 1,2014 South Barwon - 17 - 10
16 Sean Davidson 183 83 18.06.95 Yet to debut North Haven - - - -
23 Sam Gordon 191 90 31.03.93 Rd 15, 2014 Camperdown - 3 - 1
18 Jack Haarsma 177 75 05.12.95 Yet to debut Cummins Ramblers - - - -
5 Tom Gray - - - Yet to debut Rudall - - - -
8 Zac Hawkins 174 72 07.04.95 Rd 5,2014 Port Districts - 4 - -
19 Ciaran Hollingworth-Hughes 186 79 24.02.95 Yet to debut West Whyalla - - - -
6 Sidney Masters 186 87 25.03.96 Yet to debut Ports - - - -
10 Luke Reynolds 188 84 09.01.95 Rd 19, 2013 Port Adelaide SANFL/Carlton rookies - 2 - 2
21 Jonathon Ross - - - Yet to debut Salisbury - - - -
4 Ben Sawford 178 79 25.08.94 Rd 22,2013 West Whyalla - 5 - 1
7 Louis Sharrad 184 82 27.07.93 Rd 8,2012 Flinders Park/St Michaels - 13 - 3
1 Steven Summerton 177 79 05.02.88 Rd 14, 2006 St Michaels/Port Districts - 158 - 111
9 Luke Wilson 178 74 14.11.93 Yet to debut Salisbury West/Port Adelaide/Norwood - - - -
50 Robbie Young 175 60 02.03.95 Rd 7, 2013 Tea Tree Gully - 18 - 18

Two of the new young blokes must be the ones I thought at the the internal trial came out of the Aaron Young clone factory.

Does anyone have the squads for the Magpies and Academy trials tonight, Thankyou...

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2015-04-02/selection-round-1-port (at the bottom of this article there is the following)

Port Adelaide SANFL trial game team v Goodwood Saints
Thursday 2 April, Thebarton Oval, 7:30pm

1. Steven Summerton
4. Mitch Harvey
5. Johann Wagner
6. Sam Russell
7. Louis Sharrad
8. Nathan Krakouer
9. Dougal Howard
10. Karl Amon
11. Tom Logan
12. Darcy Byrne-Jones
13. Cameron O’Shea
18. Ben Sawford
21. Jonathon Ross
23. Sam Gordon
26. Paul Stewart
27. Logan Austin
30. Sam Colquhoun
34. Jarrad Redden
36. Brendon Ah Chee
37. Jesse Palmer
45. Sam Gray
49. Luke Wilson
50. Robbie Young

We have an Academy squad of 30-40 players as well that we can help develop.

We will never be in the position where we need more than 15 SANFL listed players.

One year we got down to having about 25 fit AFL players to select an AFL side but that's not the point. We will always be in a position where we need to select our best 22 and structurally our best 22 in any given week because that's sport, but we can't. The crows have a bigger pool to select from than us even though we are both carrying amateur level players. Another point is further development of a young player that may deserve league selection is hindered, and our game should never be about that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back