News Pav Steps Down From Captaincy

Remove this Banner Ad

May 13, 2014
at the footy
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Roys, Melb Stars, Gryffindor
Breaking news here: http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2016-01-13/pavlich-to-relinquish-captaincy

No word on the new captain though. Pav will stay in the leadership group

It's going to be weird going in to 2016 without Pav leading the team. He's been such an amazing Captain over such a long time now, and the team has benefited so much from having him in that position. He's going to go down as not just our best Captain, but one of the league's best Captains. Thanks Pav :)

Last edited:
I think that is a very team oriented thing for the great man to do. If he didn't step down, the players would feel honour bound to vote him captain and I would love to see him play out his last season without that pressure.

Hopefully Zac Dawson gets the call up.

Good for him. He fully deserves to choose whether he wants it or not and the fact he wants to step down is 100% fine with me. Shows his class that he is still playing on even though it feels as if he is only doing it as we don't have any other options.

i'm not sure if Nat is the best choice TBH. Probably a minority around here but being the best player doesn't make you the best captain. Though i'm probably thinking cricket wise where being the captain is alot more involved.
Are there many other best 18 players that are options though?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mundy for captain. And Pav thanks for your considerable and unselfish contribution to the Dockers the AFL ,the AFL Players association and the wider community across 16 years in the game at the highest level. Your recognition as one of the all-time Greats of our Game will be rightfully deserved. Ta Pav.

Pardon the intrusion, but just wanted to add to the chorus of plaudits for Pav. Top player, top captain and top bloke. Probably the right timing so clearly doing the selfless, team thing once again. Absolute champion. Hopefully a year without the captaincy, coupled with the expected reduced travel, can mean we get to see one more quality year from the Pav.

As for a replacement, my (completely ignorant compared to all y'all) thoughts would be that maybe Fyfe is just a bit too young so Mundy might be the go. But we'll all just have to wait and see.

I'll wander off now.

It was the right decision although I reckon he should have relinquished last season.

It will be interesting to see how the players vote and you would expect Mundy and Fyfe to receive the majority of the votes. Mundy will get it IMO. Fyfe I don't think is ready yet but should get it when Mundy retires in a couple of years. Son Son could also be a smokey for future captain. Those who read my training reports know I rate his leadership ability highly.

Sad news to hear my buddy is handing over the reigns but definitely an incredibly selfless decision from the great man with the best interests of the club at heart first and foremost, as always. What a pleasure it has been to watch the Pav almost single-handedly drag our club from obscurity and mediocrity to relative success and a new era of professionalism over the course of his 9 years at the helm.

Has definitely made the right call, he can now help to mould the future leaders of the club while allowing himself the time and space to focus on getting his body right and maintaining his incredibly high standards on and off the field, and of course he shall remain the spiritual leader of the club until he hangs up his boots. Once again, and as always, all class Pav.

Mundy to captain in 2016.

But I wanted to see him lift the cup:(
He doesn't care about lifting he just wants to be in the team that wins i think. Although i the same as you wanted him to lift it, after all he deserves to do that more than anyone else currently in the game.

I have had a vision and when we win the cup, Fyfe and Ross come up and lift the cup. Then Ross waves Pav over, steps aside and we have the current captain and the spiritual leader of the club holding it aloft.

Sticky that guys...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back