News PeopleFirst (Bank) Stadium and Precinct

Remove this Banner Ad

Not looking good for the future of the event. Hopefully a Gold Coast T20 Big Bash team starts up soon so the Suns aren't so reliant on the BDO.

Goldy mayor Tommy Tate was on local 9 news tonight saying he is pushing for our own GC big bash team as soon as possible so fingers crossed everything works out.

Goldy mayor Tommy Tate was on local 9 news tonight saying he is pushing for our own GC big bash team as soon as possible so fingers crossed everything works out.

Good stuff. The first step is trialing a Brisbane Heat game at Metricon.

Former premier pushes for more parking, better transport at main stadiums
FORMER Queensland premier Rob Borbidge is spearheading a push to get more parking at Skilled Park and Metricon stadiums and improved public transport for the facilities.

Mr Borbidge, who chairs the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Legacy Committee, said yesterday the stadiums were often half-full during Titans and the Suns games, and that needed to change.

"In cities like Melbourne, everyone goes to everything because stadiums like the MCG are easy to access," he said. "But people often give Skilled Park or Metricon a miss here because it is all too hard."

Mr Borbidge has already discussed expanding public parking around the Robina ground with the Titans and next year he plans to approach Gold Coast Suns management about options for Carrara.

"Early discussions with the Titans indicate there is the potential for more parking at Robina, which is encouraging," he said.

Carrara councillor Bob La Castra backed Mr Borbidge, saying council and State Government bureaucrats seemed to be the ones stopping more parking from being built at Metricon and Skilled Park.

"We are always told that the bureaucrats don't want more cars on the road and buses and trains should be used instead," he said.

"But public transport is not good enough now and many people have no other option except to drive."

Robina councillor Jan Grew said the Green Heart, located next to Skilled Park, was the perfect place for a new carpark to be built in the suburb.

"This is a 700ha space and if we want Skilled Park to become an event precinct in the future, we need more parking," she said.

Mr Borbidge is also calling for public transport improvements - in the pipeline for 2018 - to be brought forward.

"There are plans for more buses and trains for the Games, but we need to increase the services now," he said.

Mr Borbidge said based on flagging levels of support for the Suns and the Titans, there was no guarantee locals would buy the number of tickets for the Commonwealth Games that organisers expected.

"We need stronger local backing for existing sporting clubs by the time the Games roll around in 2018 so we can be sure the event will be well supported," he said.

Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Corporation chairman Nigel Chamier was also keen to see stronger support for the Titans and the Suns, but said he was unsure about government plans to increase parking.

"It would be good for the Games and the Gold Coast if the support built up in the years before for the Titans and the Suns," he said.

Mr Borbidge said stronger support for locally based sporting teams would also help to build civic pride on the Gold Coast.
Different circumstances with the stadiums really given Robina station is right next to the stadium. If there were a train station right next to Metricon, I'm pretty sure the Suns would be able to pull a bigger crowd on average. It's good that people are talking about this because it's clearly an issue. I still maintain a tram line that runs from Pacific Fair in the east to Nerang station in the west with stops at Metricon and Carrara markets is ideal but would be very expensive.

Matchu@ do you have any info on the construction timeline?

I wish I could definitively answer that question but I've seen so many conflicting reports that it's hard to tell. I know the aquatic centre is currently under construction so you'd have to think something in Carrara isn't too far off.

Ferry project needs higher speed
GOLD Coasters will get to have their say on plans to raise the speed limit on canals and waterways as the city prepares to give a ferry system the green light.

However, city leaders have warned without a speed increase, the long delayed project is dead in the water.

The council has raised the issue with the Gold Coast Waterways Authority and it is expected to be the focus of discussions before tenders open on the system, which is expected to include a route from Runaway Bay to Broadbeach, with another stop at Carrara's Metricon Stadium.

The service would be funded by the council and regulated by the State Government's Gold Coast Waterways Authority.

Authority chairman Gary Baildon said the community would have its say on increasing speeds from six knots to at least 10 knots.

"I support the idea of raising the speed limits but obviously we will have to get expert advice before going to community consultation," he said.

"One of the concerns is that increased speeds and therefore increased underwater turbulence could cause erosion along the canals but this will have to be weighed up.

"To work properly this system must be able to function in a timely because otherwise it is less a public transport system than a sightseeing cruise."

The Sun understands on-water speed limits were one of the most heavily discussed topics during last year's community consultation on the Newman Government's 2013-2023 Draft Waterways Management Strategy.

The results and recommendations of the survey will be announced early this year.

Mayor Tom Tate backed calls for increased speeds and said a council "roadshow" would begin within weeks to

"Planning for this system is well underway and can be seen in the inclusion of a ferry terminal at Evandale as part of the Gold Coast Cultural Precinct masterplan," he said.

"A council roadshow will soon be held across the city when council officers will ask locals how much they plan to use the system and how much they would be prepared to pay for a ticket.

"This information, as well as speed limits are some of the few remaining pieces of information needed before we can take the ferry system to market.

A ferry system was first proposed in 2004 by then-mayor Ron Clarke but has remained unrealised because of concerns over its cost.

The price of a 14-terminal system was costed at $64 million by the council's Surfers Paradise Heart of the City committee in 2012.

Pretty hard to tell if the idea is getting any closer to becoming a reality. A positive is the fact that every report mentions Metricon in their plans. Hopefully it becomes a reality.

Hey GCFC Official, just wondering if you could shed some light on the future projects at Metricon Stadium and its surroundings? We have heard the stand that will increase the stadium's capacity to 40,000 will be temporary. Has a definitive decision been made on this or could plans change in the future? There has also been conflicting reports on the club's new training and admin facilities. Will the planned Carrara Sports and Leisure Centre become the club's future training and admin facility or is that a separate project?

Also pretty curious about what you may know regarding a future ferry stop at Metricon Stadium.

maybe what we could do is try and get 1 or 2 concerts there a year ( other then BDO ) suncorpe get 1 or 2 a year.. imagine eminem... would have sold out and boosted the local economy with ppl needing accommodation. they held it at suncorpe prob cause of the train line. but people would have still gone to metricon.
i went to the sydney football stadium to see him last time ..

Just thought I'd mention something about the stadium that I feel doesn't get enough praise. The roof covers 75% of the stadium's seating, which is extremely convenient when it is raining or really sunny. This seating plan below (an old version, reserved seating has been altered since) shows the outline of the roof and which areas are protected from the rain/sun. As you can see, virtually the entire western section (corporate and broadcast areas) is undercover while around 40% of the lower tier on the southern and eastern sides are protected. The entire second tier is undercover all the way around. The opposition supporters area has next to no protection from either the sun or rain. Anyway, I'd like to see them one day extend the roof on the eastern and south end to protect the entire first tier from rain, with the exception of the area that doesn't have a second tier. I doubt it'd be that hard to extend the roof slightly.

cigC3TS.gif

It's also worth mentioning that until March 2010 (when the Queensland Gov committed more money to the project) the stadium plans did not include a roof for the southern stand. You can see the plans in the picture below. Pretty ugly design if you ask me. It also appears the initial plan included a second tier on either side of the big screen up the river end. Much better off the way it is if you ask me.

cB1aKZ8.jpg

Ewwww, So glad the stadium is how it is now.

I may be biased but it's definitely one of the best looking stadiums I've ever been to.
Pretty ugly design, isn't it?

Not quite as ugly as Carrara Stadium used to look though. A look at what the ground looked like 10 years ago and now:

S5fDe73.jpg

BYdcbNs.jpg

The southern end was simply cement steps 10 years ago. The sign that reads 'NRL - THE GOLD COAST WANTS TO SAY THAT'S MY TEAM!' was an attempt to secure the 16th spot in the NRL for the Gold Coast. At the time the NRL was running with a marketing campaign that chanted That's My Team to the tune of What's My Scene by the Hoodoo Gurus.

YeA8Lb4.jpg

JN0BDhB.jpg

The eastern end provided an undercover grandstand that was at least three metres off the ground from the lowest row of seats. You can also see the stadium was once known simply as Gold Coast Stadium. Makeshift stands were often put on either end of the eastern grandstand to increase capacity.

1rKejwk.jpg

CddTaTI.jpg

The western end provided shaded seating areas and less than impressive broadcasting facilities.

Last edited:
I'd also like to see them improve the score screen down the southern end. Something similar to the one at the MCG (see below) would be nice.

mcg_screen~5~5.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The photo below depicts how the Big Day Out used the stadium and its surrounding land for an event. Most of the land outside of the stadium is going to be used for Commonwealth Games facilities in the future.

Bwino5o.jpg

Former mayor Ron Clarke warns of looming Commonwealth Games crisis
THE man who secured the Commonwealth Games fears the Gold Coast is at risk of becoming a repeat of the Delhi disaster and has called on organisers to ask for help before Queensland ends up with “egg on its face”.

Former mayor and Olympian Ron Clarke, who lured delegates to change their votes in the final moments before a ballot in St Kitts less than three years ago, has pleaded with the State Government to step-up their interest in the Commonwealth Games and make definite decisions about the event.

The Gold Coast will host the Commonwealth Games in 2018.

Final plans for the athletes village have not been released, nor are plans locked in stone for the redevelopment of Metricon Stadium, which will be increased to a 40,000 capacity.

It is estimated that the Games could cost more than $2 billion.

“We should be more definite about what we are intending to do. There seems to be uncertainty about what is going on,’’ he said. “There seems to be a lack of internationalism if you like — a lack of perception of what has to be done. “I just hope they know what they are doing. I’d hate us to be another Delhi where they are still building while the event is taking place.

‘’We will have a lot of egg on our face if we can’t stage it properly. We don’t have to overspend, we just have to stage it properly.’’

Mr Clarke expressed concerns those involved with the Games did not have the major event experience to stage a significant international event.

“We haven’t got that experience. We got other people to come in when we staged them in Melbourne and the Olympics in Sydney.

“I would have someone like Sebastian Coe, who did a brilliant job in London, coming in regularly as a consultant.’’

Mr Clarke said he feared the State Government, which were in opposition during the bidding process, were not behind the event.

“I see a State Government that is reluctant to invest much money in it,’’ he said.

“They have probably looked at the coffers and realised they don’t have the money.

Mr Clarke said there were far too many unanswered questions about the Games.

“The Gold Coast should be a very good Games and in many ways we are still a long way out, certain things I would have thought we would be more advanced with,’’ he said.

Mr Clarke claimed simple arrangements like how long the Gold Coast Suns AFL side would have to be kicked out of Metricon Stadium were still up in the air.

Commonwealth Games Minister Jann Stuckey last night said the Commonwealth Games Federation was happy with the progress.

“The Commonwealth Games Federation Co-ordination Commission’s report on preparations for GC2018 raised no such concerns when it was released January, 2014,’’ she said.

“The Newman Government is on track to deliver the best Commonwealth Games ever, on time and on budget.

“A good example is the completion of the Gold Coast Aquatic Centre which will be finished in time for the city to host the Pan Pacific Championships later this year.”

The Commonwealth Games Federation will revisit the Gold Coast’s progress at the end of this month.

Mayor Tom Tate said that he had no issue with the Government.

“If you ask me, it’s ahead of schedule,” he said.
Doesn't tell us everything but at least we know the final plans for the Metricon upgrade have not been set in stone. My guess is they are waiting for the coming Queensland election in the hope that they'll get more funds if Labor wins. We already know the Queensland Liberal party are not going to provide that much money for the Games. It'd be great if Labor provided funds to make the upgrade permanent. A downgrade to 35,000 post-Comm Games is probably still my preference.

Let's not forget, it was the Queensland Labor party that made Metricon Stadium a reality and also won us the right to host the 2018 Comm Games. All the Suns can do is pull big crowds in 2014 to show a permanent upgrade is needed.

Now the truth is out about just how badly Captain Bligh bankrupted the state I don't see them getting in any time soon. Newmans far from perfect but at least he is making his MP's apply for their jobs again prior to the next election to weed out the crooks and under achievers. Last time I looked the labor party just hugged them to thier union bosom, hello Craig Thompson

Last edited:
Now the truth is out about just how badly Captain Bligh bankrupted the state I don't see them getting in any time soon. Newmans far from perfect but at least he is making his MP's apply for their jobs again prior to the next election to weed out the crooks and under achievers. Last time I looked the labor party just hugged them to thier union bosom, hello Craig Thompson
I'm not so sure that is the case. The recent Redcliffe by-election shows us a massive swing in favour of the Queensland Labor party. Something I don't like about the recent state elections is how much sway federal politics appears to have on the state voters. I truly believe the state of the ALP in 2012 (Gillard, remember her?) had a massive impact on how Queenslanders voted in the state election.

I'm not saying the Redcliffe by-election shows us the Labor party is definitely going to win the next state election but I'm very confident that they'll win more than 7 seats this time. Fact is, the Commonwealth Games/Metricon Stadium will be much better off if Labor is in power.

I'm not so sure that is the case. The recent Redcliffe by-election shows us a massive swing in favour of the Queensland Labor party. Something I don't like about the recent state elections is how much sway federal politics appears to have on the state voters. I truly believe the state of the ALP in 2012 (Gillard, remember her?) had a massive impact on how Queenslanders voted in the state election.

I'm not saying the Redcliffe by-election shows us the Labor party is definitely going to win the next state election but I'm very confident that they'll win more than 7 seats this time. Fact is, the Commonwealth Games/Metricon Stadium will be much better off if Labor is in power.

I dont really see how you can say that with such confidence. Sure you've got one guy beating the drums about how the Government has apparently dropped the ball, but just from reading that article I presume he doesnt have much to do with the project anymore and is looking at it as an outsider. The GC Mayor is saying they're actually ahead of schedule.

I dont really see how you can say that with such confidence. Sure you've got one guy beating the drums about how the Government has apparently dropped the ball, but just from reading that article I presume he doesnt have much to do with the project anymore and is looking at it as an outsider. The GC Mayor is saying they're actually ahead of schedule.
I'm happy to be proven wrong but I'm pretty sure the Liberal party of Queensland has previously announced that there will be a strict budget for the Commonwealth Games. You have to remember that a lot has changed since the Gold Coast won the right to host the 2018 Games. Anna Bligh (Premier of QLD at the time) and Ron Clarke (GC Mayor at the time) were heavily involved in the process of both bidding for the Comm Games and building Metricon Stadium. The QLD Labor party also provided extra funding half way through the project to extend the roof over the southern section of the stadium. Whichever party is in power during the next 3-4 years will heavily influence preparations for the Games. My opinion is that the Labor party would provide more funding for the projects, if voted in.

Being ahead of schedule when you have an extremely strict budget doesn't mean much. I'm not trying to sway anyone's vote but, looking at it from a Gold Coast Suns perspective, do we really want a dodgy upgrade on Metricon Stadium when we have the opportunity to potentially leave a lasting legacy on the stadium and its surroundings?

Last edited:
You don't have to worry about swaying my vote Matchu, The fact that I agree with you speaks louder than words.

The future of the Suns hinge more on the Commonwealth Games than most realize.

Universities in the States spend millions on facilities to attract recruits to come play sports there, While it's not the same when it comes down to it, It might just be the factor along with everything else that sways a recruit from leaving? A depressing tin shed may be just a good a work out place as any but how many times does a player have to look at it before they start feeling bummed out just looking at it?

Just remember some of our boys might have more fickle minds than we have.

Also it's hard to come up with something that Matchu hasn't already said and said well.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I'm happy to be proven wrong but I'm pretty sure the Liberal party of Queensland has previously announced that there will be a strict budget for the Commonwealth Games. You have to remember that a lot has changed since the Gold Coast won the right to host the 2018 Games. Anna Bligh (Premier of QLD at the time) and Ron Clarke (GC Mayor at the time) were heavily involved in the process of both bidding for the Comm Games and building Metricon Stadium. The QLD Labor party also provided extra funding half way through the project to extend the roof over the southern section of the stadium. Whichever party is in power during the next 3-4 years will heavily influence preparations for the Games. My opinion is that the Labor party would provide more funding for the projects, if voted in.

Being ahead of schedule when you have an extremely strict budget doesn't mean much. I'm not trying to sway anyone's vote but, looking at it from a Gold Coast Suns perspective, do we really want a dodgy upgrade on Metricon Stadium when we have the opportunity to potentially leave a lasting legacy on the stadium and its surroundings?

I would rather have something we can afford to pay for, I love the Suns and I want them to have the best but I will take a 50% upgrade and have better roads and Hospitals rather than 100% and go further down the labor built drain.

I would rather have something we can afford to pay for, I love the Suns and I want them to have the best but I will take a 50% upgrade and have better roads and Hospitals rather than 100% and go further down the labor built drain.
If that is your preference then you are completely entitled to your pro-Liberal stance. However, the question I would have for you is - are we really getting better roads and hospitals under a Liberal Government?

I went for a tour of the newly built Gold Coast University Hospital late last year and I can definitely tell you that it is being heavily underutilised simply because they don't have enough money to pay staff. What is the point of having a first class hospital if we can't make use of it? The Liberal party made huge cuts into Queensland Health in 2012 (not long after they were voted in) through their public service redundancies. In fact, Queensland Health received more than double the cuts of any public service industry in Queensland in 2012.

As for roads, the only significant upgrade I've seen on the Gold Coast is the increasing the M1 from 2 to 3 lanes but even that started before the Libs got in. I could be guilty of overlooking the rest of Queensland and just focusing on the Gold Coast in my statements but my number one priority is the city I live in and I'm not going to apologise for that.

Last edited:
If that is your preference then you are completely entitled to your pro-Liberal stance. However, the question I would have for you is - are we really getting better roads and hospitals under a Liberal Government?

I went for a tour of the newly built Gold Coast University Hospital late last year and I can definitely tell you that it is being heavily underutilised simply because they don't have enough money to pay staff. What is the point of having a first class hospital if we can't use it properly? The Liberal party made huge cuts into Queensland Health in 2012 (not long after they were voted in) through their public service redundancies. In fact, Queensland Health received more than double the cuts of any public service industry in Queensland in 2012.

As for roads, the only significant upgrade I've seen on the Gold Coast is the increasing the M1 from 2 to 3 lanes but even that started before the Libs got in. I could be guilty of overlooking the rest of Queensland and just focusing on the Gold Coast in my statements but my number one priority is the city I live in and I'm not going to apologise for that.
We will need to agree to disagree here Matchu I have a great deal of respect for you and your ideals. No if's no buts no maybes, I just see it differently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back