Competitions Phantom draft - Thursday 7pm start

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawks take C Jansen and goodnight

Feel free to take your picks any time tomorrow, not sure how much I'll be online though

Last edited:
Fremantle

26. Fremantle - Josh Dunkley
37. Fremantle - Jesse Glass-McCasker
54. Fremantle - Michael Hartley
69. Fremantle - Callum Moore

Freo are one of the sides looking for talls this draft, and fortunately there are plenty available. Freo's first pick went for Bennell but they didn't get the McCarthy trade done so they are still in the draft and still needing talls

Ben McKay, Kieran Collins, Sam Skinner & Marcus Adams were all on the radar at 26 but were surprisingly all taken. Skinner & Adams were as far as I was prepared to reach so I went for Dunkley. Dunkley is a tall inside mid, he doesn't have speed or foot skills but will win you clearances and be hard for his opponents to get around with his tackling. This could be seen as a risky selection given Dunkley would have to decline Father/Son selection to Sydney hoping to stay in Melbourne in order to be picked here, but the club has to back themselves in to win him over, as Port did with Ollie Wines. There may also be other factors in him turning Sydney down as his Father and the Swans have bad blood

The next 3 picks were the talls that were needed. Glass-McCasker is an athletic defender and WA boy, Hartley is mature aged defender ready to go and Moore is a 19yo forward who will be ready sooner than other options. I was rapt to get Moore at 69, he went at 33 in the BF phantom. This made up for the disappointment in missing the high-end talls at our first pick

Last edited:
Brisbane
2. Brisbane - Josh Schache
11. Brisbane - Ben Keays (Academy selection)
12. Brisbane - Eric Hipwood (Academy selection)
36. Brisbane - Reuban William (Academy Selection)
62. Brisbane - Maibor Chol (Academy Selection)

Let's be honest, if Brisbane are paying more than McDonald's wages to their recruiter this year, they are overpaying. Schache is the clear #2 player in the draft and suits Brisbane down to the ground, in fact if they hadn't won in R23 and had pick 1 they would probably still go the same way. The next 4 picks are just saying yes when asked to match, although Keays & William went earlier than expected. It's hard to say no though to another first round player, and to later options as well with the discount for academy players after the first round.

It's a very tidy group of academy players this year, 2 first round talents and a mix of midfielder, tall defender, defender and ruckman to go with the tall forward at pick 2. They needed a tall forward or two but really had needs all over the park, as is usually the case for sides battling it out for the spoon. If their academy can produce talent like this every year (and they can keep them) they won't be down the bottom too much longer

Last edited:
Hawks

19 - Collins
22 - Bonner
43 - Lovell
71 - Jansen

Hawks pretty happy. Bonner seems a natural Birchall replacement. Their focus on good kicks suggests to me they take the best kick in the draft if available. Collins is a tall that is being talked up as going higher. Always happy to get a reasonably rated developing KP. Lovell I like the sound of, small quick with the ability to win ball. If he tidies up a little he's Mitchell's replacement. LOL. Jansen as a bigger bodied mid seems a good bet late with SANFL experience?

As a side note haven't seen these guys so purely based on BF folks. So thanks to everyone involved and to GCBC for organising.

GWS
3. GWS - Jacob Hopper (Academy selection)
9. GWS - Matthew Kennedy (Academy selection)
41. GWS - Harrison Himmelberg (Academy Selection)
56. GWS - Nick O'Kearney
57. GWS - David Cunningham
61. GWS - Nick Coughlan (Academy Selection)

Another club with a large academy haul, though with Kennedy, Himmelberg & Coughlan taken slightly later than expected, a few of the picks stockpiled to pay for them were able to be used in the open draft.

O'Kearney is a versatile accumulator, whilst Cunningham is a fast & evasive hurt factor player who doesn't need much of it to make an impact. The Giants have made a habit of drafting, well, Giants, so they are well stocked for talls, plus with Himmelberg (KPF) and Coughlan (KPD) from the academy they could afford to pick up the best available mids at those selections

Hopper & Kennedy as 2 top 10 mids will add to the long list of first round talent at the club and leave the rest of the AFL wondering when the draft tampering in favour of the AFL's lovechild will end

Adelaide took Charlie Curnow, Callum Ah Chee & Matthew Flynn

Adelaide are particularly good at developing key forwards & Curnow was the best available tall after both Weideman & local boy Burton were off of the table

Perhaps Curnow becomes a big bodied midfielder, but I don't believe they have too many big bodied midfielders that have similar attributes to Curnow; so I thought that he was a good fit

Ah Chee; I am a big fan of personally, Adelaide are likely to be happy with their current crop of small & general forwards
but by the time these players are hanging up their boots, Ah Chee should be reaching the prime or in the prime of his career
his fitness is currently something that needs improvement, in order to be a better player over four quarters

which brings me to Matthew Flynn, I had the same idea with him that he will be just beginning to reach his best football by the time Jacobs is winding down
and he has a gun ruckman in Jacobs to learn his craft from

just a bit tired at the moment, feel free to correct me if or ask if something doesn't quite make sense

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney
4. Sydney - Callum Mills (Academy selection)
38. Sydney - Aidyn Johnson
48. Sydney - Will Snelling
63. Sydney - Hisham Kerbatieh
64. Sydney - Dylan Smith
67. Sydney - Sam Naismith (Rookie Upgrade)

For the second year in a row, Sydney pick up a top 5 mid despite finishing at the pointy end of the ladder. They will be wrapped with Mills, who is a well rounded, hurt factor midfielder who can win his own ball.

Aidyn Johnson adds some pace to a midfield full of in and under ball winners and should help fill Lewis Jetta's role. Snelling is this year's Honeychurch or Daniel, the capable mid who goes lower than they should due to height, but he is 176cm so not the smallest going around. Kerbatieh is an athletic smallish forward who will complement their twin towers well. Smith is a swingman tall who can also ruck, a possible replacement for Adam Goodes

Sydney got ruckman Callum Sinclair & tall defender Michael Talia in the trade period, and have upgraded ruckman Sam Naismith as well, so in the draft they were looking for pace to hurt the opposition with Parker, Jack, Hannebery, Kennedy & Mitchell feeding the ball to them. With the picks they had, they have picked up some nice prospects who fit the bill

Draft Order

Round 1

1. Carlton - Jacob Weitering
2. Brisbane - Josh Schache
3. GWS - Jacob Hopper (Academy selection)
4. Sydney - Callum Mills (Academy selection)
5. Melbourne - Sam Weideman
6. Essendon - Clayton Oliver
7. Essendon - Aaron Francis
8. Gold Coast - Darcy Parish
9. GWS - Matthew Kennedy (Academy selection)
10. Melbourne - Wayne Milera
11. Brisbane - Ben Keays (Academy selection)
12. Brisbane - Eric Hipwood (Academy selection)
13. Carlton - Harry McKay
14. Adelaide - Charlie Curnow
15. Carlton - Rhys Mathieson
16. Richmond - Ryan Burton
17. Adelaide - Callum Ah Chee
18. St Kilda - Ben McKay
19. Hawthorn - Kieran Collins
20. Gold Coast - Harley Balic
21. North Melbourne - Mitchell Hibberd
22. Hawthorn - Riley Bonner
23. Carlton - Daniel Rioli

Round 2

24. Western Bulldogs - Sam Skinner
25. Western Bulldogs - Marcus Adams
26. Fremantle - Josh Dunkley
27. West Coast - Ryan Clarke
28. Essendon - Brayden Fiorini
29. Essendon - Jade Gresham
30. North Melbourne - Luke Partington
31. Collingwood - Jadyn Brind
32. North Melbourne - Darcy Tucker
33. Gold Coast - Tom Cole
34. Western Bulldogs - Mason Redman
35. West Coast - Greg Clark
36. Brisbane - Reuban William (Academy Selection)
37. Port Adelaide - Bailey Rice
37. Fremantle - Jesse Glass-McCasker

Round 3

38. Sydney - Aidyn Johnson
39. St Kilda - James Parsons
40. Melbourne - Tom Doedee
41. GWS - Harrison Himmelberg (Academy Selection)
42. North Melbourne - Liam Jeffs
43. Hawthorn - Kieran Lovell
44. Port Adelaide - Brandon White
45. Melbourne -Aaron Vandanberg (Rookie Upgrade)
46. Western Bulldogs - Gach Nyoun
47. Richmond - Lachie Tardrew
48. Sydney - Will Snelling
49. Gold Coast - Blake Hardwick
50. Essendon - Mitch Brown
51. Gold Coast - Ben Crocker

Round 4

52. Carlton - Jack Silvagni
53. Carlton - Jed Adcock
54. Fremantle - Michael Hartley
55. West Coast - Stephen Tahana
56. GWS - Nick O'Kearney
57. GWS - David Cunningham
58. Collingwood - Alex Morgan
59. Geelong - Kurt Mutimer
60. St Kilda - Josh Schoenfeld
61. GWS - Nick Coughlan (Academy Selection)
62. Brisbane - Maibor Chol (Academy Selection)
63. Sydney - Hisham Kerbatieh
64. Sydney - Dylan Smith
65. GWS - PASS
66. Adelaide - Matthew Flynn
67. Sydney - Sam Naismith (Rookie Upgrade)
68. North Melbourne - Nick Dodge
69. Fremantle - Callum Moore
70. West Coast - PASS
71. Hawthorn - Chris Jansen

Round 5

72. Brisbane - PASS
73. Collingwood - Josh Wagner
74. Brisbane - PASS
75. Gold Coast - Wylie Buzza!!!1!11
76. Essendon - PASS
77. St Kilda -Jack Sinclair (Rookie Upgrade)
78. Melbourne -James Harmes (Rookie Upgrade)
79. Collingwood - Corey Wagner
80. Collingwood - PASS
81. Geelong -
82. Port Adelaide -PASS
83. Western Bulldogs -PASS
84. Richmond -
85. Adelaide -Jake Kelly (Rookie Upgrade)
86. Sydney -PASS
87. North Melbourne -
88. Fremantle -
89. West Coast -
90. Melbourne -PASS

Last edited:
Pick 8 - Darcy Parish
Pick 20 - Harley Balic
Pick 33 - Tom Cole
Pick 49 - Blake Hardwick
Pick 51 - Ben Crocker
Pick 75 - Wylie Buzza

Gold Coast suns come into this draft after a busy trade period which saw the likes of Zac Smith + Harley Bennell leave the club and Matt Rosa + Dan Currie come in. They were a disappointment last season however they were hit with quite a few injuries to midfielders and their midfield depth was shown up. Their depth midfielders just weren't up to it so the likes of Parish, Cole and Balic can help address this issue. All are able to play plenty of midfield time but can also play hff or hbf. Crocker slid down the order and can also start out as a high half forward working into the middle. Hardwick can play a deeper forward position and give power stints at centre bounces, as well as helping alleviate some scoring lost with Dixon leaving. Lastly Buzza has shown some good signs as a strong, big, mobile forward. With Dixon leaving Buzza can come in and learn that role and is a QLD player so can stay closer to home. Was looking for a KPD but was never going to reach for one instead taking midfield sliders and building a deeper midfield which is most important.

Essendon:

Pick 6: Clayton Oliver
Pick 7: Aaron Francis
Pick 28: Brayden Fiorini
Pick 29: Jade Gresham
Pick 50: Mitch Brown

Very happy with this haul. Was set on getting Oliver and Francis with my first two and was glad that they were both available as I had a bit of a gap to the next player, it was probably going to be Milera. Very lucky to have Fiorini and Gresham still available at the second round picks. Big fan of Fiorini but I thought there was a reasonable chance that he'd be there whereas Gresham I expect to be gone on draft night. I was prepared to grab Marcus Adams at pick 28 if he was still available. Think Mitch Brown is good value at pick 50 and would suit Essendon well. I was prepared to take a tall mature ager at that pick, so Hartley was in the frame too.

Overall, a very balanced collection with players each having different styles and roles. I hope Essendon don't end up getting this group of players on draft night though, because I don't like Essendon.

Last edited:
North Melbourne:

Pick 21: Mitchell Hibberd
Pick 30: Luke Partington
Pick 32: Darcy Tucker
Pick 42: Liam Jeffs
Pick 68: Nick Dodge

I unfortunately missed out on the last couple of selections because I was a bit pre-occupied, but I'm happy with Goodcop Badcops selections off my list. Jeffs is a very atheltic tall mid who is worth working on and may develop into a dangerous player. Dodge is a small/medium forward from Tasmania who had a couple of very impressive games in the TAC Cup. Quite happy with my first three selections. Big fan of Hibberd and seemed a strong choice at that selection. Bonner was the other I was considering. Partington I like and I think 30 is the right range for him. Tucker's lack of improvement this season was a bit of a concern, but being available at 32, I thought he was too good to pass up. Mason Redman was another player that I was considering at those picks in the 30s.

A pretty solid group of players, especially with the picks North Melbourne had.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back