Toast Pick #26: Welcome to the kennel Kieran Collins

Remove this Banner Ad

So can someone explain to me how he managed to slide to us? Because he sounds and looks awesome

His speed is slightly below average and there's question marks on how much more he can improve. He's already well built. I'm guessing that's why he slid all the way down to us. It also helped us a lot that Adelaide picked Doedee instead of Burton.

Last edited:
Surely the club has used an image of a middle aged lumberjack instead of the 17 y.o recruit that they selected yesterday?

I'm pretty sure that whoever he is, he has been shaving for longer than I have.

Lumberjack2.jpg

Last edited:
Surely the club has used an image of a middle aged lumberjack instead of the 17 y.o recruit that they selected yesterday?

I'm pretty sure that whoever he is has been shaving longer than I have.

View attachment 195812

Bailey Dale reaction:

"I'll have some of what he's having"

So can someone explain to me how he managed to slide to us? Because he sounds and looks awesome
Amongst other things, Adelaide taking Doedee was a big contributor. They were expected to take Burton. If Burton had been off the table, hawthorn probably would've taken Collins at one of their two picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collins and Adams, but it's a hypothetical. Collins wasn't considered a likely slider so whilst he was on the list and near the top, we were working around him, hence our interest in Skinner.
Thanks Pann. So do you get the vibe that we didn't rate any of the players that slid or were we looking to address needs first and foremost?

Thanks Pann. So do you get the vibe that we didn't rate any of the players that slid or were we looking to address needs first and foremost?
Next time I see him I'm going to ask about Matheson - he looks better than a pick 39. He didn't rate the draft highly, but, as he said, there's great players in every draft. He'll be happy - we got the players we needed and addressed needs.

I don't think any key defenders really go high? Unless they're like Lever, ones who are attacking. Or go to GWS like Corr.

Seems like the same happened with Darcy Gardiner. Lock down players don't really go top 20.

I don't think any key defenders really go high? Unless they're like Lever, ones who are attacking. Or go to GWS like Corr.

Seems like the same happened with Darcy Gardiner. Lock down players don't really go top 20.

Or Weitering. Point taken though. The ones who are more genuine lock down slide down the order. Gardiner is a perfect example, even though is undersized compared to a collins he has good lock down talent.

he said we were looking at best available early and it just so happened Collins ticked both boxes. The fact we picked up Dunkley sort of reinforces that, as i would think we dont 'need' another inside mid. then the other two he said were geared more towards needs.

Next time I see him I'm going to ask about Matheson - he looks better than a pick 39. He didn't rate the draft highly, but, as he said, there's great players in every draft. He'll be happy - we got the players we needed and addressed needs.
Apparently Mathison is a bit weird and might not fit in to a club as seamlessly as clubs would like. Definitely has to be something going on because on talent he should have been first round. Other players were a bit more outside so dal may have worried about their ability to transition into afl although i still think Hibberd will end up being a very good afl player.

I think full back types get picked later than CHB types essentially.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back