Pick 65: Corey Gault. Welcome to the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

According to the write up on him in Inside Football,Swan Districts coach Greg Harding said
"Came on this year like no other player Ive ever seen,to be honest.
He was a real gangly kid 12-18 months ago,and has developed into a real dynamic 198cm key forward that I think in time can play that pinch hit ruck role and key position.
Great vertical leap and had 18 touches and kicked a goal on debut for our senior side late in the year.
His hands are developing and when that happens he will be even better".

It'll be interesting to see how he develops as he puts on more weight. He could quite possibly turn into the forward/pinch hitting ruckman if he's up to it. He looked pretty mobile but a few more kilos might change that. Good to see he can tackle and take a contested mark as well.

Lol it did seem like there's not much going on up there.

Perhaps some sort of impairment, I dunno, but as long as he plays smart it doesn't matter. :) He came across as a pretty likable kid though, and it's pretty hard to talk about yourself on camera like that so he was probably nervous.

Good luck to him. We certainty don't lack height on our list anymore.

Even if he isn't the brightest kid (I don't have an opinion on this) the dumbest player I ever saw was Martin Pyke and he played over 200 games and won 4 premiership medals. You don't have to be overly bright to be a good footballer. Fevola is another example.

Hopefully drafted as a KP forward.

According to Hine he is:

Pick 65: Corey Gault
Hine says: "He's a utility player; plays forward, goes through the ruck, and has the ability to play down back. He's played senior footy in the WAFL with Swan Districts, which is a plus. We'll get him to the club as soon as we can from Perth and hopefully have him in on Monday."

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/newsfeatures/news/newsarticle/tabid/5586/newsid/126461/default.aspx

I know we hear this after EVERY draft but.....I reckon the Pies didn't believe that he would still be available at pick 65 and may have earmarked a small/medium and then when he was available they had to pull the trigger.

Anyway, IHWT. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok let's work this out. Who replaces Leigh Brown in the seniors? I think it might be Jolly (at the start of the season) personally, i.e. Wood gets first crack at the number 1 gig and Jolly plays that ruck/forward role. Better ruck than Brown but not a worse forward. He's actually great from the lead out FF position.

That gives us a senior spine made up of Dawes, Cloke, Jolly, Brown, Reid, Tarrant, Wood.

Alternatively, later in the season when we're essentially "too tall" I think it might revert to Dawes playing as the ruck/forward role with Tazza as the third tall/backman, i.e. the swing man. Could work and it probably would make us a more balanced side than the above with essentially 7 genuine talls plus Max, Harry and possibly Macaffer in the side (who plays as a third tall when you think about it). Dawes has the size and the tank to ruck, it might actually really suit him.

That leaves Paine, Gaunt, S Mac, Keefe, Ceglar, Witts, Hartley and Wood to play VFL and that's IF we manage to fit Tas and Brown into the same team.

???? Paine, Wood
???? Hartley ????
???? Witts ????
???? ???? ????
???? S Mac ????
???? Keefe Ceglar

BENCH: Gaunt

(that is just an example by the way for the sake of the exercise so don't jump on me because S Mac isn't a pure CHB for instance or Ceglar isn't a BP)

It's all well and good to have a trillion talls but you need to be able to give them football. If we get guys not playing many minutes at VFL level or playing in unsuited positions then they won't be developing very well. Let's hope Gaunt was drafted as a forward because if he was drafted to be a ruck and can't get ruck minutes at reserve level then it's been a wasted pick.

Like a lot of 18,19 years he probably has not been interviewed on camera before and has no experience at it hopefully 2 or 3 yrsin our system will sort that,Travis was another player who took a while to get use to the camera,s.

If he could 25% of the player Travis has become I will be happy,when you get that low in the draugh it is pot luck but goodluck to him the same as all our players.

We were all complaining about all the small players the club keeps picking Hine has a pretty good track record and we must trust his and the coaches judgement the club is becoming very good at identifying and developing young players.:thumbsu:

Think it was a wasted pick to be honest. Fraser type from the looks of it. But without the junior dominance of Josh. (Even has a similar frame)

Don't enjoy being too negative, but sometimes as most pasionate supports do, we tend to look at things through rose coloured glasses all the time. Would have preffered any of Frost, Boseley, Nelson, Waldhuter, Manson (huge risk v reward) or Horsley.

Perhaps we are hoping he develops in a similar mould to Nathan Vardy. Happy to be proven wrong.

I don't think that anyone has overly rosey glasses on at with Gault. He is a late pick in a weak draft. You are not going to pick up a ready made gun with pick 65 however you may as well have a crack at a youngster and hope that the if the potential, dedication and luck combine could become a good player.

Gault to me seems to be a kind of guy we would have rookied for a few years if we had the luxury of not being forced into using pick 65 on a live pick

I actually like this Pick.

Was Picked on Potential but sounds like he is a Hine Type of Kid as he is Very Coachable.

IF he does come on he can be a very useful Versatile Tall

Yeah, copy Bloben. I do reckon we did well to bundle a few different types during trade week which somewhat weakens my point.

Just think we had better options when you consider our current list depth, development and structure.

The way you guys described it I was expecting Matt Damon from Team America in that interview... he doesn't strike me as dumb, just perhaps not very eloquent and lacking some media training. He'll be alright.

Its a punt pick and I think its a decent risk that late in the draft. The comparison to Thoolen is a good one as like him this kid has great athleticism for his height, but hasn't come on yet as a footballer. Showed signs that he can so I can see why the clubs taken a chance on him. If he does put it together he'll be a real weapon. If not its just cost us pick 65, a bit of dough and a couple of years. No biggy.

you blokes having a crack at him for seeming slow in the interview should wake up to yourselves. poor kid's probably going to read this. anyway, i thought he seemed fine - just the same as most kids his age.

welcome aboard big fella!

Re: Welcome to Collingwood Corey Gault

Quite like the look of him as a prospect from that footage,
his taps have some force behind them, which I think would be handy for hitting into space
and his kicking and general field play seems pretty solid
plus, as with our other pick up, seems to be comfortable taking a mark with the arms outstretched

as others have stated, could easily do worse with pick 65 (admittedly I don't know what we passed up though), I wouldn't worry about the interview, he's just nervous and generally australian's feel awkward talking themselves up (our nature is more towards self-depreciating humour)

you guys have got a great late pick there he has a lot more versatility than many realise.... capable of fb, chb, chf and ff as well as a quality nullifying ruckman is as strong as an ox....comes from very good sporting family background from country WA

The way you guys described it I was expecting Matt Damon from Team America in that interview... he doesn't strike me as dumb, just perhaps not very eloquent and lacking some media training. He'll be alright.

you blokes having a crack at him for seeming slow in the interview should wake up to yourselves. poor kid's probably going to read this. anyway, i thought he seemed fine - just the same as most kids his age.

welcome aboard big fella!

you guys have got a great late pick there he has a lot more versatility than many realise.... capable of fb, chb, chf and ff as well as a quality nullifying ruckman is as strong as an ox....comes from very good sporting family background from country WA

and to those tools that described him as a bit slow, get over yourself. clearly youve been brainwashed by the AFL factory type coming thru the TAC cup, with all the work put in to mould the boy into the AFL media star.

do yourself a favour and edit out those ridiculous comments.

heres a kid, quote 'playing footy', with mates at school in some country town in WA, invited down to the big smoke to try out, does well enough to get drafted, and lands himself at the biggest club in the land. good on him. he'll likely be your typical laid back, country kid, happy bloke who will fit straight in to the life of hard work & teammates very quickly.

back to the thread title - welcome to pieland kid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back