Mod. Notice Pies board: How can we make it better? (Feedback closes today)

State of the BigFooty Pies board today?

• Kinda like 1990 vintage Collingwood: The place is perfect!

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Kinda like 2009 vintage Collingwood: Ticking over well, on the up, good energy!

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Kinda like 2001 vintage Collingwood: Meh

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Kinda like 2004 vintage Collingwood: Not good, on the way down

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Kinda like 1999 vintage Collingwood: It's an utter, utter shambles

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
BigFooty boards are currently seeking feedback from posters - regulars and those less frequent - about the conduct of boards.

We'd love to know what you really think - not that many of you hold back - about the Pies board.

What works well? What doesn't? Are we moderators going OK? What can we do better? Should we be tougher on incivility or trolls, or are we too tough already? What do you think of the structure of the board? Do you like the competitions, player sponsorships, etc? Do we need sub-boards? New prefixes?

Feel free to vote in the poll, but we'd also appreciate if you took some time to respond in more detail. And try really hard not to use this as yet another opportunity to bag other posters, or get involved in tedious arguments. Please!

BF Admin wants this thread to remain open for seven days, and we will respond seven days after its closure. In the meantime, we mods wont intervene - the discussion is all yours - except where we have to delete offensive posts or other nasty stuff.

It goes without saying that we want this to be a useful and constructive exercise. Its now up to you to deliver!

Thanks Pies fans!

I love the site but I have found at times when Reporting and Sending PM’s to the Mods for help or stop a Troll coming on. The wait can be a bit long waiting for them to come on and fix the trouble.

I know that you can ask the other mods on here for help but I just like to deal with the Fantastic Collingwood Board Mods

As a relative newcomer I think this is great. Invariably if you need an answer on something posters are kind enough to respond. Having said that I can't comment on the difference over time and whether this is better or worse.

People venting is understandable particularly given our season and while I might not agree with all views that's the whole point of this right for people to be able to express them. While I try and be pragmatic, it's an emotional game and we all want our team to win.

I would have liked to have been on board back in 2010! Would've been utter bliss.

As a relative newcomer I think this is great. Invariably if you need an answer on something posters are kind enough to respond. Having said that I can't comment on the difference over time and whether this is better or worse.

People venting is understandable particularly given our season and while I might not agree with all views that's the whole point of this right for people to be able to express them. While I try and be pragmatic, it's an emotional game and we all want our team to win.

I would have liked to have been on board back in 2010! Would've been utter bliss.

I Normally say it takes to about Wednesday for the Venting to Stop as people then think of what is ahead by Wednesday

Have the mods be more vigilant on moving threads. I don't know about other club boards but we always have about 16 threads on the same topic. Maybe even a news thread aswell, I personally don't think we need a new thread every time someone writes a 5 line article on the club.

Been a passive lurker here for a while and in the past few months more actively participating.

At times the angst and negativity is a bit much and the issue of whether people agree with Buckley's appointment and his decisions since then become a bit of a black hole that suck in all other discussion.

In one way, this is very understandable. We have had a very successful period and are now going through a transition period. This has coincided with some hard decisions the club has made aimed at long term success. Many of us are still happy to see how the results of those decisions go, but many were frustrated and upset by the decisions and point to the clear lack of results so far. In that context, the level of agitation is understandable.

But it's also an argument that will only be resolved by time. And when it infects other topics of discussion, or becomes the filter through which all issues are interpreted, it gets tiresome.

I don't think the mods can or should stop people who have issues with our direction from voicing their opinion. I think at times, when this old debate begins to derail a thread that isn't really related to the issue, it would be good to more firmly put the conversation back on track, and if people repeatedly won't heed that direction to give them a consequence.

I've been with BF since 2006. At the moment the board is moderated way to leniently and it's turning this long term poster off.

Previously, threads based around the same topic were merged very quickly. Not so now. E.g. There are 4/5 Buckley type threads at the moment. Surely that debate can be kept in one place. A mega thread as created for reason. The ranting, complaints, praise and support are based around the same thing. It's really getting tiresome. Perhaps it's due to this year being our worst year since I've been on BF. It's ridiculous how many threads move off topic to the 'I hate Bucks'/ Malthouse v Bucks thing. It's basically spamming.

There was an idea at the start of the year to have a stickied 'rant thread'. I don't even bother logging on here after a loss to discuss the game because the board will just be full of rant threads.

It's quite simple. 1 stickied rant thread with clear details in the OP. This way the ranters can all rant away to their hearts content and their sentiments will be shared by fellow ranters. If someone creates a rant thread, they get a warning and the thread gets merged. If they do it again, they get carded. If ranting commences in another thread and the post gets reported, it gets deleted and the poster gets a warning about posting in the wrong thread. They do it again, they get carded.

As Collingwood supporters we cop crap like no other team from opposition supporters, I don't come on here to hear it from our own. It will obviously happen but keep it in the one place.

Way to lenient on trolls also. It really needs some tidying up. If you have a look at a posters history and there is nothing but negative garbage with no substance or supporting discussion, it's most likely they are troll, be it a Pie supporter or other team supporter.

Last edited:
Don't really care about all the 'crap'

I come on here to read people's opinions and discuss my own opinions.
Everyone should have that freedom.

Keep the boards going the way they are.

I think the mods are doing a great job considering how much goes on around here. However, I am growing weary of people starting unnecessary threads don't provide anything new or just have a dramatic title to get attention. Not really your fault. More so that people need to stop and think before starting a new thread. Post game is usually the worst time for it occurring.

Too many Buckley threads in my opinion. Have two Buckley threads. One called "sacking Buckley" for general criticism. The other thread can be for Buckley being praised and constructive feedback.

Otherwise, good job with the board :D

In terms of prefixes I think we need one for "team selection".

On team selection, it's the biggest news of the week. That's a constant, when the team is up down or otherwise. Year in and year out.

I think we could do better at separating the team selection news from the preview thread.

What's the solution? I'm not sure. It will require one diligent individual to get the thread up sharpish each week. Or a bit of effort to separate the topic out of an existing preview thread - at a time it is already old news.

Sort it out and I can't help but feel it is a big thing for the content of the board.

Sifting through the preview thread for the ins and outs can be frustrating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fewer threads. There are too many duplicated topics of discussion. For example, in the pre-match thread there has been a lot of discussion about Kennedy being dropped, which is fair enough. Yet there is another thread created by TD on the same topic. I get that TD feels strongly about it but the creation of another thread is unnecessary. This sort of stuff needs to be cleaned up.

I agree about the repetition of threads, hard to know where to look sometimes. I think megathreads for certain frequently discussed players (on the main board rather than a sub-board) could be looked at also (e.g. currently Luke Ball and BenKen are being actively discussed in at least a couple of threads each)

Just a general observation but the constant repetition of the same points by the same posters across multiple threads has also become more of an issue. I realise this is a difficult thing to moderate but it's a small number of posters most of the time. It means a lot of interesting and well though out posts are being lost in the noise.

Make Bring Back Brad a moderator
LOL.
Personally I think, regardless of the subject matter, in t his case footy, this is a remarkably well run site.
I am a member of many fora, from Physics to 4WDing, this is far and away the best.

Would suggest a bit more structure to threads eg. game preview thread that goes up the day after the current round game is finished - this is the place for all pre game and selection discussion that gets closed on the day of the game; a game day thread that opens on the day of the game that contains all matchday and game itself posts that gets closed as soon as the match is finished and then lastly an autopsy thread to discuss and dissect the game just finished. Makes for any easier board to read.

The use of more megathreads ie general AFL discussion, rumours, list management, media related. Would help to reduce the plethora of threads on the same or very similar topics and stop other threads being derailed by going off topic and on tangents. Would also like to see a general "just for the lulz" thread stickied whereby we can add in the jokes, comments, funny gifs and pictures about other teams, coaches, reporters and the footy world in general that make all us Pies supporters laugh. The carlton meadows retirement village and malthouse press conference quote threads are perfect examples of this.

All in all the Pies board is a great forum and really enjoy the great discussions that go on, but at times I think the mods are a little too tolerant of trolling. We cop enough flak elsewhere in general on BF so shouldn't have to put up with it on our own board (not that I'm advocating the type of modding on a certain other board that we all love to hate :rolleyes:) but a touch more rigour would be beneficial.

Way to lenient on trolls also. It really needs some tidying up. If you have a look at a posters history and there is nothing but negative garbage with no substance or supporting discussion, it's most likely they are troll, be it a Pie supporter or other team supporter.
THIS!
As Pies supporters we cop crap from everyone, everywhere and these forums should be our sanctuary, so we shouldn't have to put up with trolling from opposition, it's bad enough that some of our own are sounding like trolls these days.
Too many opposition posters get away with posting crap that would be instantly carded on their own boards (looking at you Carlton), and too many of our own are posting the same baseless, troll-like posts over and over again.

Overall I think the mods do a sensational job.

There are a couple of interlopers from other clubs (one club especially) that clearly have one intention, and that's to wind us up. The odd card would sort that out, but I also appreciate that we aren't as precious as some boards. To that end it would be disappointing if opposition supporters didn't feel they could really say anything at all here. We're far thicker skinned than that and I like the fact that we generally ignore the idiots.

I agree that the number of threads could be tightened up. We seem to start a new thread for every news article, rumour or public comment. It's not a huge problem but does make navigation a pain at times.

I also like the idea of a match day thread that closes as soon as the game is over. Start a post match/autopsy thread where we can all either celebrate or crack the s**t there and keep it contained for a couple of days while we are all wound up. Sometimes after a game I want to talk about it and find several discussions going on in separate threads.

Beyond that, the current negativity is completely understandable as we are having a torrid time. That will change and has nothing to do with how the forum is run. Thanks mods for doing a great job. :)

Try to stop meltdown threads, they are the worst, have an entire thread dedicated for rants and meltdowns after a loss and ban anyone who cant help themselves and makes one.

Stop threads that are just about 1 article from the HS or the Age or any other news company, have a thread dedicated for articles.

Don't visit many other clubs boards and agree with other posters that the mods here are pretty good. Also agree that we are not as precious with fans from other clubs making comment which I generally ignore.

Agree with a mega threads for 'rants' as I get annoyed when a number of positive threads get derailed - perhaps a gentle reminder to those that do it and if they continue, a nudge?

I also agree, once the game is over, then maybe an 'autopsy' if we lose or a 'post match' if we win.

I suppose just a little tidying of thread titles.

I would like to see a live thread with a player or someone from the coaching panel. For a specific period eg one hour every Tuesday, supporters can ask questions and have them answered live. Would have to be tightly moderated against trolls but could be a good way to extend the goodwill which comes out of the podcasts.
For instance would be great to get Bill Davoren and ask why we have so many soft tissue injuries!

I would like to see a live thread with a player or someone from the coaching panel. For a specific period eg one hour every Tuesday, supporters can ask questions and have them answered live. Would have to be tightly moderated against trolls but could be a good way to extend the goodwill which comes out of the podcasts.
For instance would be great to get Bill Davoren and ask why we have so many soft tissue injuries!
I can pretend to be someone from the coaching panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back