Unofficial Preview Pies V Swans (SCG, 7.25 Saturday, SELECTED TEAM IN OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant recall Brown getting beaten last year. agree he doesn't have a great short kicking or vision and prefers to kick to another post code. still I can live with that if he beats the gorilla's.

He also has a habit of handballing it straight to the opposition or to someone about to get tackled.

He is a great stopper but the offensive side of his game is horrible, when you add those together he is a solid player.

I believe AFL is 2016 has gone past players who "only" do one role. If you look at the best teams, nearly all their defenders can provide great offensive rebound (Hodge Gibson Birchall Burgoyne ect) and their forwards are great at providing defensive pressure (Rioli Puopolo Gunston ect).

If we want to taste premiership glory again we need to seriously upgrade our defence, Williams and Ramsay look to be a good start, Marsh is still a mystery but apart from that we're lacking a bit, particularly for talls. Brown and Reid won't be around for much longer and it's hard to know where Keeffe stands

What lazy journalism. How hard is it to find out which rookie had been promoted?

Must of be Real Hard and I think few people on here would be Great Jurno's compared to some Morons who are

He also has a habit of handballing it straight to the opposition or to someone about to get tackled.

He is a great stopper but the offensive side of his game is horrible, when you add those together he is a solid player.

I believe AFL is 2016 has gone past players who "only" do one role. If you look at the best teams, nearly all their defenders can provide great offensive rebound (Hodge Gibson Birchall Burgoyne ect) and their forwards are great at providing defensive pressure (Rioli Puopolo Gunston ect).

If we want to taste premiership glory again we need to seriously upgrade our defence, Williams and Ramsay look to be a good start, Marsh is still a mystery but apart from that we're lacking a bit, particularly for talls. Brown and Reid won't be around for much longer and it's hard to know where Keeffe stands

yep and don't forget Frosty. Another good stopped with zero rebound.

Of the Hawks defenders you mention 3 smalls and a guy known for being a loose man defender. Gibson used to get rheemed when forced one on one v a Cloke or Hawkins ...
They will miss Lake heavily this year

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

champ, its Sydney's home ground. they are the only tenant. without checking I doubt the nrl will play another game there this year. Sydney v pies will be the biggest game there this year. yep lets chew the centre up for old times sake for a mob who don't pay the bills.

btw, disagree but leave the juvenile commenst at home. maybe its a brisvegas thing.

What juvenile comments like 'brisvegas'. Yeah leave them at home.

Of the Hawks defenders you mention 3 smalls and a guy known for being a loose man defender. Gibson used to get rheemed when forced one on one v a Cloke or Hawkins ...
They will miss Lake heavily this year

You do know Lake only played two years for the Hawks not ten?

Gibson/Hawks are so good because they don't let the ball get there (defence) too often!

I'm more than a little bit confused.

The common (justified) knock on our back line seems to be the lack of quality kicking skills, yet people suggest that if Reid plays then Frost should not because he is not a great kick. If that eventuates then Reid, whose fitness is in question, will play key back and his replacement, likely to be Marsh who is also an average kick, will mop up. I do not believe Marsh will be trusted on Buddy because he is completely unproven at AFL level as a key position player.

If Frost plays then he can take Buddy (he is more suited to him than Reid is anyway) and Reid can be the player intercepting, calling the shots and using his elite kicking skills to set us up. We are also light on for experience and Reid with Frost is the more experienced combo.

It seems an absolute no brainer to me that Frost should be picked regardless of Reid's fitness, especially considering the fact that his record on Buddy is actually pretty good.

I'm more than a little bit confused.

The common (justified) knock on our back line seems to be the lack of quality kicking skills, yet people suggest that if Reid plays then Frost should not because he is not a great kick. If that eventuates then Reid, whose fitness is in question, will play key back and his replacement, likely to be Marsh who is also an average kick, will mop up. I do not believe Marsh will be trusted on Buddy because he is completely unproven at AFL level as a key position player.

If Frost plays then he can take Buddy (he is more suited to him than Reid is anyway) and Reid can be the player intercepting, calling the shots and using his elite kicking skills to set us up. We are also light on for experience and Reid with Frost is the more experienced combo.

It seems an absolute no brainer to me that Frost should be picked regardless of Reid's fitness, especially considering the fact that his record on Buddy is actually pretty good.

Reid's kicking skills haven't been elite for 5 years, and he will be VERY rusty after zero nab cup games (if he even plays).

His chronic lower leg soft tissue injuries have robbed him of his kicking penetration

Reid's kicking skills haven't been elite for 5 years, and he will be VERY rusty after zero nab cup games (if he even plays).

His chronic lower leg soft tissue injuries have robbed him of his kicking penetration

Don't agree with that.

Sorry but to say Brown and Reid won't be around much longer is absurd. If we can get Reid robust again it will make a huge difference to our team. His kicking skills have not dropped one iota. Brown had a great season on the last line in 2015. Those two will be the mainstays for years to come and are the cornerstone of our defence if fit. Williams is another and Scharenberg eventually will be our sweeper and intercept player. That leaves two spots to be fought over: Langdon, Marsh, Oxley, Ramsay, Sinclair, Frost and Goldsack to fight over them next year.

Alright I'm back again having only watched a replay of Varcoe's form in NAB 1. I'm going to give you my honest appraisal of that game but with some important caveats. So...

Qtr 1

Varcoe starts forward against Enright. He presses up and runs down Dangerfield earning a free kick. He then gets on the end of that chain of play he set up to kick for goal. It doesn't make the distance and gets tapped through for a point.

Cox marks over Taylor then gets a kick in space toward the boundary which Varcoe marks and then kicks in clear space to Fasolo who then goals.

So two shots on goal/set up plays.

He 'misses' a handball to Aish but there are 8 Cat players to 3 Pies in a 10 metre radius. But then he follows up on Kolijadshnee (?) and forces the turn over.

Qtr 2

Varcoe mowed down by Mackie.

Varcoe marks on the wing, shows quick hands to Swan who goals (3rd set-up).

Varcoe chases down Mackie for a tackle and turnover then to SS.

All things considered, I would say that Varcoe is a very smart player who sets up play and we mark him very hard considering he spends so much time forward or on the wing. But I take what you say on board too.

Sometimes he seems to drop out of the game and that was clear in the 2nd half of the Cats game when he was playing on the wing. But I would commend to anyone watching one player in any game and seeing how they go.

Quite evidently, a mid will get more of the pill considering the ball is always passing through there, whereas a defender of forward only get a bit of it. I think Varcoe is a very valuable commodity, just as Fasolo is as well.
Would be interesting trying to watch one player, easier than at the ground then on the tele.

It probably comes across that I aint a fan of TV, when I am, and think he is a best 22 player.

I just find it interesting that the general consesus is he is a great user of the pill...apart from a few highlight plays, his general ball use in the nab cup was ordinary, especially for a low volume, impact style player.

I think Pendlebury will play 60-40 mid-halfback or even 50-50 rather than the 80-20 he stated himself. Swan is also likely to spend alot of time up forward. I think De Goey may really get the chance to shine as a full time inside midfielder. What do you guys think?

Bit hard to judge somebody who hasnt had the confidence in his body.

If fully fit again, and he regains confidence in his body, his kicking will be fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since it's pick a side time and Reid won't play, this is what I'd choose:

FB Ramsay, Frost, Sinclair
CHB Langdon, Brown, Williams
C Sidebottom, Adams, Crisp
CHF Swan, Cloke, Blair
FF Fasolo, Moore, Grundy
Foll Witts, Pendlebury, Treloar
Inter Greenwood, Aish (though I suspect the committee will chose McCaffer over him), De Goey, Oxley
Emergencies Macaffer, Gault (though I suspect the committee will chose him over Witts), Toovey
Why would you play Grundy forward he doesn't mark the ball Gualt does

Yeah Reid and Brown are 26 and are both about to retire . Defenders need to be able to defend first. Brown does a very good job and is rarely beaten. Give it time and we will have the small rebounding defenders around him. Langdon is a decent kick of the ball and is about the chalk up 50 games, Maynard and Scharenberg are elite users of the ball.

People focus on our kicking that is not the problem players need to spread and work hard to create an outlet to kick to so they do not have to try and pin point a target under pressure

Would be interesting trying to watch one player, easier than at the ground then on the tele.

It probably comes across that I aint a fan of TV, when I am, and think he is a best 22 player.

I just find it interesting that the general consesus is he is a great user of the pill...apart from a few highlight plays, his general ball use in the nab cup was ordinary, especially for a low volume, impact style player.

If you ever want to be put off something then see how it's made. I'm not talking only about hotdogs but watching a player run around. I commend it to no-one.

Maxwell suggested a few times to a very bored audience that we watch what one player does all game. It's clarifying and horrific, the banality of the whole enterprise. I think Varcoe is like any end-bit player scrutinised for their flair but not their fettle.

You do know Lake only played two years for the Hawks not ten?

Gibson/Hawks are so good because they don't let the ball get there (defence) too often!
Three years at hawks... strange how they won three premierships....

Frawley will be a decent replacement but their backline will have to rely on him a lot more ...

Gibson is for them a better version of Maxwell was for us in 2010

Frawley will be a decent replacement but their backline will have to rely on him a lot more ...

Check your dates re Lake.

Correct. He played 54 games for the Hawks and won three flags. They got him one year before he became a free agent because the Dogs didn't want to lose him for nothing.

Hawthorn = smart

Love the video, but I also love how easy it is to make an "inspirational video"! It's essentially just highlights with a bit of intense music behind it lol. I'd probably rather just watch it with commentary :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back