Player Development - lack of often

Remove this Banner Ad

Ummmmmm I'm pretty sure Richmond did all the groundwork in developing players like Schulz, White, and Derickx.

White and Schulz went straight into the Port side because they were developed and were picked to play a specific role that complemented Port's game style.

Derickx, the whole Hampson issue, meh...

Agree with second post, often.
If you have an elite core of a side, new/satellite players get a ride, development always seems wonderful.
Questions:
1. Why wasn't Shulz pulling his finger out? Couldn't we have got him there mentally without trading? Pains me to watch him now (wheras i just laugh at White'$ ineptness).

2. Vlastuin, not the same player as last year, fair to say? Just 2nd year blues, right?

Why can't we develop players like other clubs.
Jay Schulz is classic, Matt White has gone up a level with Port. Tom Derickx was running around in VFL for us then goes to Sydney and is looking at a premiership. We knew he had potential but it was not tapped.
Just think, if we had developed Derickx, we would not have needed Hampson and could have got Lewis Taylor.

Are McBean and Elton going to make it like we all hope? I think Darrou might be the next one that could develop at another club. Never seen him play,, just read about him in forums but seemed to have a chance to be good.

Vickery and Griffiths would be stars in any other team. Jack would be better too.
We need to go and get a very good forward coach for these guys to teach their potential and we can match anyone with attacking power. Vlas also needs to kick on next year. After a great first season, thought he was a bit disappointing this year.

Maybe I am too worked up about the point but it is frustrating, just like the recruitment sometimes, but then Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

This and taking Short cuts. Hampson, Chaplin, Lloyd etc.. are too old now for our next premiership tilt!

Title structure - confused of very

The title, confusing must it be............

54529283.jpg

The next two years will give us all a realistic idea whether our development has succeeded or failed. Too early to call IMO as There are a lot of players at that age group where they're expected to go up to the next level. Will they ????is the million dollar question. Lets wait on it and pop this thread up in two years for a more realistic debate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We didn't develop Maric.

Fair enough if you are going to use that argument. But then you are going to have to use the same argument that Port didn't develop Shulz and Matt White or Sydney didn't develop Derickx which were the examples the OP uses against us of not developing players.

If White, Schulz, and Derickz are the best players we wish still played for us, then we've done a pretty good job at list management.

Oo a sarcasm detector, that's a real useful invention.

Schulz goes alright just quietly. I don't think we've done a pretty good job with list management. Better than the dark days but still a lot to improve on

Schulz goes alright just quietly. I don't think we've done a pretty good job with list management. Better than the dark days but still a lot to improve on

Lose 1 good player 5 years ago and I'm happy with that. Hawthorn lost Kennedy for example. We have done pretty well in this area and only natural improvement is required as opposed to list management reforms, which is how this thread comes across.

We don't recruit or develop well in most circumstances.

Astbury, Houli, Maric, Ellis, Miles.... Only wins we have had under Hardwick.

How can we expect to become a premiership side when only 5 of the players recruited under our coach in 5 years were better value than they cost, and are capable of being part of a premiership team.

The only existing players we had above value were Riewoldt and Rance.

Picks 1,2 and 3 don't count as they should be elite.

Our list is weak, our players in the best 22 don't feel pressure because there isn't any. Grigg plays a couple games in the VFL and is the best player by far compared to his team mates. While Hawthorn and Sydney can't find a spot for Sewell and O'Keefe, and a whole bunch of other talented players. Our next best player is a 1st year high draft pick.

We have the best facilities in the league so it is really just our coaches and their lack of ability. We need to amp up our coaching department.

We should be getting Hayes, we should be getting Sanderson, we should be getting a top fitness coach from the US or Europe, even that ex Melbourne coach. If the club needs more money to do it, just ask for 10% I'd pay extra if I knew it was going to beef up our coaching department.

I'd like to see us have 35 blokes fighting for 22 spots not 18 + 4 mediocre players.

Not sure that Derickx has kicked on that much. Played a few games earlier in the year but has struggled since. Couldn't get a game against us when they rested a heap of players and Naismith was played ahead of him.

Confusing thread title.
LOL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back