Review Player Review vs Melbourne (Rd 18)

Remove this Banner Ad

tesselate_

Team Captain
Jul 27, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
This wasn't an easy game to review. Through a conflation of poor kicking, decision-making and forward instinct, we had one of our most inefficient performances of the season with regards to converting Inside 50s to goals. When you sprinkle in some woeful skills in the backhalf, you get one of our worst performances in recent memory.

Wasteful would be the word I'd use to describe the first term. Going forward we didn't have the composure or the awareness to put the ball into space; too many entries were a low-percentage bomb deep to a contest when there was a shorter pass on.

Fasolo seemed to be the only forward who was prepared to lead into the space, and was our most threatening target early in the match. There was a good little passage there in the first where Greenwood dropped it into a hole in Melbourne's defense and Fas ran onto it. But the problem was, two of his marks->shots on goal were just behinds.

We broke through their defense on a few occasions in the first, and each time, we either weren't prepared to retain possession until something better opened up, or we'd use it inefficiently.
1. Clean gather from Sidebottom, pass to DeGoey racing up the centre square line, he has Moore running ahead of him, who could double back into the space, or he has Fasolo running alongside him. He makes an errant handpass to Fasolo, who has to stop to collect, and it turns into a stoppage.
2. Won a contest on D50, burst forward through Sidebottom, got it to Varcoe on the forward flank. What happened next was confusing. Varcoe handpassed to Dwyer, who, instead of having a shot, passes to the wrong side of our forward there, ie, to the Melbourne advantage. Varcoe should've centred it.
I8vxZHm.png

In the second term in particular, unless Melbourne were able to move it quickly from a turnover and kick it long , I thought our zone really locked them down. They were a couple of terrible instances of them slicing us up through the middle. The problem is when they win a contest on one side they'll switch the ball quickly to the opposite flank and run forward. We just don't seem to be quick enough to implement any sort of zone or fill the hole at all.

When they had to move the ball slowly they were pushed up the boundary and had trouble finding targets from there. To prove this, you'd have a look at Greenwood intercepting a kick from Gawn and finding Varcoe loose in the forward 50, as well as Dwyer chopping one off, handpassing to the running Crisp, but Crisp kicked to Adams 1v1 instead of a lone Pendlebury.

We had a good burst in the third, but fell away in the last. I think we had 9? effective kicks in the last quarter. On top of that, we just lost all sense of composure. Even 5 minutes into the quarter, two consecutive kickins were long and up the guts, and when we'd win the contested ball from the kick-in Adams and De Goey would bomb it as far forward as they could to be swept up by the loose Melbourne were playing behind the ball. The ball would just come right back in.
Our centre clearance ascendancy was nullified by Melbourne's loose, and with an undersized defense that just inflates the number of forward entries without reward. We just didn't look like scoring. All composure seemed to vanish and we were casually jogging into position.

Player Review
Dane Swan
Best on ground. I don't think Swan's output is a good reflection of his ability. Particularly last week, he would outbody and accelerate past his opponent at the centre clearances on multiple times, but our ruckmen weren't able to put it to his advantage. Much of the same story this week, which was a shame. He still found plenty of the ball, uses his experience to get into the damaging positions on the outside at a contested ball, very much like a Sam Mitchell from Hawthorn.

Levi Greenwood
Thought he was one of our best. His physicality was very important on a day where we lost a few of the hitouts; he was able to halve contests and prevent a Melbourne break. 9 tackles says it all. He reads the play well in a centre clearance situation, and he has the physical strength to block and outbody. He made a few good forward passes that stood out to me, there was one put into space before Moore that would've been impossible to defend against, in addition to the Fasolo one aforementioned.

Taylor Adams
Similar to Greenwood around the clearances, but Adams kicking wasn't much yesterday. He'd win centre clearances, but I struggle to recall a kick that created a really menacing, effective forward entry.
His kicking wasn't great around the ground either. See below:
5qTaScq.png

Instead of dropping it into space in front of that leading Pie, he centres it to Greenwood. And while it works out okay in the end, it works out because Melbourne leave a hole in their defense for Fas to lead into. A better team would've closed that down and Greenwood would've been shooting from 55m, or putting it high to the square.

Scott Pendlebury
Had a shaky start, fumbled on a few occasions and missed a critical tackle. Melbourne were clearly targeting him, he was being tackled and dumped as soon as he got it. I'm not sure he handled it well. His roving was good, as usual, but he didn't find enough of the ball and create enough play to atone for his mistakes.

Tom Langdon
His kickin work was poor. Two of the earliest kick-ins he clearly took the wrong option, Melbourne goals resulting from both. First instance below:
UzJkNNO.png

Has the man just 45 degrees to the right, then the target long on the wing there can lead inwards, but instead he elects to kick to a two on two were Melbourne players are in better position to get there first.

Has much the same play on the next kick-in and elects to take it:
oFsPhrT.png

...Except he puts too much height on the kick to the target coming down the right, it gets spoilt, and Melbourne goal.

When you're struggling to score and you cough up easy goals like this, it's crushing to team morale.

Travis Varcoe
When we started to hit the scoreboard in the second, it was Varcoe making things happen. Has the most awareness to sneak forward into dangerous positions and hurt the opposition. Is a constant feature of running rebound, tackles hard as always. Ball use wasn't as clean as I've come to expect, though. In the second term, Fasolo wins a one-on-one contest forward of centre, puts inside 50 to Varcoe, who misses a pass to De Goey. Noticed a few times he had a shorter pass on when he went high to the square.

Jordan DeGoey

Thought he was a bit flat. He struggled to get into the game after half-time and his ball use left much to be desired.

Steele Sidebottom
On fire early, was involved with a lot of play, had 21 touches to half-time. Got some clean gathers off the ground that I think I mentioned, when we looked dangerous running forward early it was often Sidebottom engineering the play. Was close to BoG for us early, I'd say, was able to get into those important outside positions to receive a contested ball.
He only had the 5 touches after that though, Melbourne moved Cross onto him in a lockdown role and all that outside ball dried up for him.
He took a really good mark inside 50 though.

Jack Crisp
He was good. Generated a lot of run, got plenty of the ball, drove us inside 50 six times.

Grundy and Witts
We were well-beaten in the hitouts until Gawn visibly began to tire. Was pretty disappointed with Witts in particular; when he does win a tap, it's not really to anybody's advantage. Swan does some great work in the centre bounces and Witts wastes a lot of his efforts. And when you have the opposition number having a real influence in the contested marking stakes, for Witts to take zero just isn't good enough. Didn't notice Grundy a great deal around the ground, but he made some effective taps. I'm no ruck expert, but I think he jumps too early in the centre.

Alex Fasolo
As discussed earlier, was the shining light forward early. Had the opportunity to kick a bag if he'd kicked straight; 3 goals is a good return. His forward pressure was good, I don't recall him doing anything wrong apart from missing some shots. Very strong overhead mark.

Darcy Moore
While he didn't quite kick five goals, I think there was a lot to like about his performance. His second efforts certainly stand out and he's strong on the lead, takes it right out in front, and being so athletic he's already very hard to defend against if he can lead into space. I think his issue is experience; unlike Fas, he wasn't commanding the ball in space, he's not presenting as a target up the field yet, and that'll take time of course, but he's got the early signs of a dangerous forward.

Matt Scharenberg
I thought his composure and confidence in his ability grew as the game went on. He started with a few errors, the worst of which having a free kick on the D50 line, handpassing to Pendlebury under the pump, causing a turnover, when he had Toovey on his own just up the ground. He did some impressive things later on, quick, silky hands, even sidestepped a would-be smotherer. Good signs.

Brayden Maynard
His ball use wasn't as clean as it can be. He missed targets coming out of defence, but tackled well and has a good physical presence in those contested situations.

Sam Dwyer
I didn't like Dwyer's game. He's a weak tackler, he's pushed off it too easily and he cost us a few shots on goal. I already mentioned one, but another was when he was running into the forward 50, makes a hospital handpass to Crisp when Grundy was on his own in the goal square. For someone who's purportedly selected for ball use and composure this isn't good enough.

Marley Williams
He had a quiet game, didn't win as much ball as he has in recent weeks. Wasn't winning the contests, seemed to be getting on the outside and driving us forward. Not sure his disposal is suited to this; he struggles to kick to advantage consistently.

Paul Seedsman
Passenger. I only noticing him once, and that was dropping a mark.

Jamie Elliott
Didn't have the chance to do much, wasn't particularly clean with what he did. Only 2 of his 8 disposals were effective. Would've liked a full game from him today.

Alan Toovey
Applies to all of our 'negating' defenders: for a side that seems incapable of employing a team defense when the opponent gets a quick rebound, your negating defenders must do better than that one on one. From every 10 inside 50s, Melbourne goaled from 3 of them, which is close to double their season average.

Nathan Brown
His disposal continues to be a worry, seems incapable of kicking to advantage coming out of defense, and I noticed several times he'd handpass to an opponent under duress.

Jack Frost
Was probably our worst. He's picked up a pernicious habit of starting too far behind his opponent, which has cost us goals in the last few weeks. There was some disgraceful defending from him today in the first quarter: Frost is on Watts, who bursts forward to gather a ball and deliver a goal assisting handpass, while Frost casually jogs behind. Wouldn't mind seeing him sent to the twos for a bit.

Summary

I'm dubious about the efficacy of any structures that we could've implemented yesterday. There simply isn't a structure or gameplan you can employ with any success when a) your F50 entries aren't to advantage and b) your forwards aren't demanding the ball to be put to advantage. This is supported by the statistics: a season average 27.4 disposals per goal compared to 51.4 today. Goaled from 12% of our forward entries, compared to 25% for the season. These stats highlight how poor our ball use was. Conversely, Melbournes DPG and F50 efficiency much higher than their season average. There's no structure that accounts for poor ball use around the ground and out of defense.

Last edited:
Fantastic Job Again.

Agree about Moore. More he plays at AFL better he gets. His follow up work was Fantastic. Just keep working to demand the ball Moore. Getting Bigger Body will help that.

Agree Adams was good inside work but did not have heap of Damage with his Kicks

Agree Grundy seems to not be timing Center Bounces Well at the Moment

Scharenberg did get better the longer the game went

Fantastic Job Again.

Agree about Moore. More he plays at AFL better he gets. His follow up work was Fantastic. Just keep working to demand the ball Moore. Getting Bigger Body will help that.

Agree Adams was good inside work but did not have heap of Damage with his Kicks

Agree Grundy seems to not be timing Center Bounces Well at the Moment

Scharenberg did get better the longer the game went

Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, our centre bounce ruckwork hasn't been good lately, from either ruckman. I noticed a lot in the WB game that Swan was beating his man in the centre clearances and getting into a dangerous roving position, but Witts isn't capable of tapping to his advantage.

Makes you wonder about what our centre bounces are gonna look like after Swan though; it'd be great to get Treloar who apparently has that kind of acceleration.

Sidebottom?
Whoops.

On fire early, was involved with a lot of play, had 21 touches to half-time. Got some clean gathers off the ground that I think I mentioned, when we looked dangerous running forward early it was often Sidebottom engineering the play. Was close to BoG for us early, I'd say, was able to get into those important outside positions to receive a contested ball.
He only had the 5 touches after that though, Melbourne moved Cross onto him in a lockdown role and all that outside ball dried up for him.

Love to get your opinion on our kick ins. For a start, Langdon is a terrible kick and shouldn't be taking the kick ins anyway. But can you identify any structures or plan to our kick ins? Without having any stats, we would have to be close to last for coast to coast goals from kick ins, and clean possessions. We would have to be the worst team in the league at bringing the ball back in.

Whoops.

Thanks mate :)

Love to get your opinion on our kick ins. For a start, Langdon is a terrible kick and shouldn't be taking the kick ins anyway. But can you identify any structures or plan to our kick ins? Without having any stats, we would have to be close to last for coast to coast goals from kick ins, and clean possessions. We would have to be the worst team in the league at bringing the ball back in.

I'd love to get my hands on scoring breakdown by kickins, stoppages, centre clearances, turnovers, etc. I know they exist because they show us a glimpse on FoxFooty, but I can't find them on any website.

The focus early was that lead into the right-hand-side pocket. We'd have someone waiting after the pass for a handball receive (you can see Frost in the pocket in one of the OP screenshots) then kick it long up to the wing to a hard runner like Sidey before they can flood back. It only came off once in the first term, but unfortunately, the forward entry was poor.

After quarter time, Melbourne started to guard space in the forward 50, cutting that off. So that meant we kick long to a contest (like below) and should have numbers closer to the ball to win the ground ball (as their numbers are guarding space) but nothing ever originated out of that. Not the fault of the structure mind you: as I said earlier, De Goey and Adams won a couple of these situations and just threw it on the boot as soon as they took possession.
XSXTp5r.png

As you can see, we had the time and numbers to work out something much better than just a hack forward. There were four times were Melbourne scored a goal from a kick-in turnover, three being the fault of Langdon, we didn't score at all from a kick-in coast to coast. So yeah, problems.

1. Clean gather from Sidebottom, pass to DeGoey racing up the centre square line, he has Moore running ahead of him, who could double back into the space, or he has Fasolo running alongside him. He makes an errant handpass to Fasolo, who has to stop to collect, and it turns into a stoppage.

This one (if it is the same one) was the worst decision making error I have seen for a while.

With 14.48 left on the clock in the first quarter, De Goey gets the ball and streams through the middle. He has Dwyer and Varcoe on the inside running through the true middle of the ground with absolutely no one in front of them. If De Goey gives it off inside then the both Dwyer and Varcoe can run 80 metres direct to goal with no one in front of them. Instead, he chooses to give it backwards and sideways to Fas, misses the target, and forces a stoppage. He even looked at Dwyer early and chose not to go to him.

Absolutely perplexing decision...

Great review again Tesselate, I think the ratio of disposals and entries to goals is more a reflection of the conversion rate of shots. We missed some awfully easy shots on Saturday; Fas by two, Elliot, Varcoe, even Swan's running attempt late in Q 3. If these are kicked the ratio's are close enough to season average. It just another demonstration of horrible kicking and when combined with poor decision making you get an ugly mess. Compare the way a composed skilful player such as Vince was able to finish each time.

A couple you, and the one Jelly Bean mentioned were shockers and they gave me the impression I was watching a very poor side playing in really a sub standard match. We know we had a very young group in, and it was missing a number of players we would want in the side but perhaps it is a fair reflection on where that 22 is at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great review tesselate_, I agree on basically everything but while I am the first to say that our midfield doesn't give us enough offensively, I do think this time a lot of it is due to the dysfunction forward line we took in. Where are you meant to drive the ball if there is an empty forward line in front you (happened too many times), or a forward line where no one leads and finds space? I'll elaborate in my review below.

First thing I'd point is when you look at the stats we actually won the I50 count with 58 by 44. That's a significant I50 differential and means we should have won the game. 7 goals from 58 I50 is just extremely poor. Obviously to lose to Melbourne there's a lot we could have done better but there are three main things that strike me as the major issue:

1. Dysfunctional forward line. We went in with a forward line made of a first tall who was a third-gamer that was trained and played as a defender for the past 6 months outside of 2 games, a second tall who is either one of our ruck when both have shown they are very poor forwards at this stage, a small forward who had a bad game last week in Fas, the rest midfielders who aren't our biggest goal threats with Elliott being selected to be able to play 30min as a sub only. I didn't agree with dropping White before the game (especially if you already are dropping our other experienced forward in Blair) and still don't agree now. It's puzzling that Bucks and our forward line coach thought the forward line we brought to the Melbourne game would function, no one ever made good leads or had separation outside of Fasolo and Moore.

2. Lack of an exit strategy. Some teams like to transition from defence to offence with chains of handballs, some teams like to do it by kicking long to their quality talls, others go with the short skillful kicks. I'm not sure what we do. Granted we don't actually have the pace and skills to do too much with our chains of handballs, and we certainly don't have the skills of the Hawks to go with the short kicking. When we had Cloke we often just went long to him and he either marked it or broke even in the contest and otherwise helped create space for others. But with our two rucks being sub-par marks and our mids not really the type to be strong overhead we are really short of options as to how to transition.

3. Foot skills. No need to dwell on this one too long as it'll never be a strength of ours with our current playing group, we just need to play a brand of football that doesn't rely on it too much. At the start of the year we were kicking better, but losing Broomhead, Elliott and having Pendles decline is enough to tip us over the other way.

--- Our best players
:

Swan
-
It's good to see him backing up his great game last week with another one. Really good clearance work and I'm liking his new found ability to deliver cleanly inside 50, at least at times.

Fasolo - After a disappointing showing last week, he bounced back with a really strong performance, 3 goals and a goal assist, involved in multiple other scoring chains and just showed what good forward should do, creating space, leads, marking well. Shame about his misses but he was our leading scorer, mark and contest mark and got involved in general play as well.

Varcoe - Such a tough player and disposed of it pretty well, got a goal, 3 I50s and 7 tackles. He really does provide solutions and provides smarts that allow him to create space and open up the play, something we lack.

--- Players who held their own:

Adams - Had a good game in the centre, not so much when sent forward and he did spend some significant time there particularly in the first. I think with Greenwood, Swan, Crisp, Adams in our line up we do need to rotate them so some of them will end up forward but Adams should be our last option, just not a great mark or kick and too defensive a mid to be played there.

Greenwood
-
Really good addition to the midfield, looked threatening there and really tough finishing with 9 tackles.

Pendlebury - Not the best night, but on pure output he was solid. It's just that it's Pendles and we need him to be great, not just good. Today he got caught holding the ball twice, looked slower than usual, took more time to get up after going to the ground, fumbled a couple of uncontested touches and felt off. When he got the ball though he did pretty well with it, some smart handballs and kicks. He might be carrying an injury but I can't tell and wouldn't know what it is.

Sidebottom - A massive first half where he was just everywhere, to the point that Melbourne had to contain him and they did an OK job at it as he was much less influent in the second half of the game. But for them to tag him it should have opened up play for others to step in, particularly Seedsman on a wing but unfortunately no one took that opportunity.

Williams - Used his pace well and interestingly our only player that registered more than a bounce for the game with 5 (we are one of the lowest teams in bounces). Did well defensively, but could have done a bit better with our transition plays.

Langdon - Our best at reading the ball in defence, and provided a lot of support in the contest in the middle. He looked pretty tired from mid way through the third, a bit like he was just before the bye so something makes me think he hasn't quite got the endurance at the moment but hopefully will with another pre-season. Kick in work wasn't great, perhaps he isn't our best option there particularly with Scharenberg coming in and Reid as well.

Maynard - Solid game, there are a couple of things he does in traffic that tell me he's got a future at AFL level. He tries too hard with his kick at times because it was his main weapon at junior level by all reports, he needs time to adjust that at AFL level but at least he feels like a pretty rounded player without a major flaw.

Crisp - Much better than last week but again doesn't look at home when trying to play more on the outside, which is what we need of him at the moment and I believe in the long term (64%DE and 4 clangers is not great for someone on a wing).

Scharenberg - Looked off the mark at the start where he struggled with the pace and physicality of the game but he actually got better later and did a couple of things that showed his good composure. Clear he lost his pace and isn't fully confident in his body but hopefully that'll come.

Brown - Got beaten by Hogan a couple of times but I think he also got sent to him because Frost couldn't handle him. I liked a few things that Brown did with some of his long kicks and his spoils.

Toovey - The mystery Toovey continues for mine. Got outbodied by Garlett once which was poor, and another time he put in 3 great efforts in a row to win us the ball. The rest of his game I'm just not sure, think I'll have to watch him closely when I'm at the game because too much of his work (good or bad) is not shown on TV.

--- The disappointing performances:

Dwyer - Did some smart things at half forward but also some stupid things, and got no influence in scores which is just a bit sub par for a half forward

Moore -
He marks the ball so well which is very exciting for the future, but kicking 0 goals as the primary forward target is a poor output. He also rushed a couple of times after some good marks and therefore missed his kicks forward.

Seedsman
- I'm starting to think we don't know how to play into outside mids' strengths, because I don't think I have seen a Collingwood player play a great game on a wing since Broomhead against GWS. We just under utilise pace as we struggle to create links and chains of play in the middle. That being said, even taking this into account Seedsman's game was very poor, he was as close as you can to be to non-existent.

Witts
- Did OK around the ground with 3 clearances and 3 tackles, and a goal to top it up, but he was well beaten in the ruck contest particularly early.

Grundy - Bit of the opposite, he got beaten around the ground at times by Gawn but he actually rucked well, particularly after Witts' really poor start. Still very frustrating to see him finish with no clearance and just the one mark.

De Goey - That one kick that set up Witts for a goal was great, the rest not so much, bit rushed and untidy and again does seem to prefer the clearance work to playing forward. That's OK, but perhaps it means we can use him as a sub or give him a rest.

Frost - Well beaten by Hogan early, and late to a few other contests as well. Not going to be as harsh as others because we easily forget how young he is for a KPD, a position where experience is a massive plus over the forwards they play against.

Elliott actually tried a bit and even flew for a high defensive mark so must have been OK physically but while he got involved as he could (defence, in the middle, forward) his ball use was uncharacteristically awful. Also re-inforces the idea that the forward set up was wrong because even played as a sub Elliott spent a lot of time in the middle and not forward meaning he didn't actually give us an extra option there.

-- A few notes on form overall:

Trending up:

*Swan has put together two great games in a row with a new found decent ball use.

*Varcoe by my counts has been our best and most consistent player over the last 10 games, with only Pendles, Williams and Sidebottom close.

Trending down:

*Witts on three poor games in a row.

* Since the Carlton game, Seedsman has only hard poor games in my book (all 7 of them).

Moore - He marks the ball so well which is very exciting for the future, but kicking 0 goals as the primary forward target is a poor output. He also rushed a couple of times after some good marks and therefore missed his kicks forward.

Maybe he put to much Pressure on Himself as being the Only KPF we had out there. Lot to learn from that

Witts - Did OK around the ground with 3 clearances and 3 tackles, and a goal to top it up, but he was well beaten in the ruck contest particularly early.

Grundy - Bit of the opposite, he got beaten around the ground at times by Gawn but he actually rucked well, particularly after Witts' really poor start. Still very frustrating to see him finish with no clearance and just the one mark.

Both had Poor Games and both Well Beaten by Gawn

Scharenberg - Looked off the mark at the start where he struggled with the pace and physicality of the game but he actually got better later and did a couple of things that showed his good composure. Clear he lost his pace and isn't fully confident in his body but hopefully that'll come.

No Surprise he struggled early. I think all players on Debut would struggle early in that game.

Takes 2 Years to Fully get over a ACL so still has lot of Upside

Maynard - Solid game, there are a couple of things he does in traffic that tell me he's got a future at AFL level. He tries too hard with his kick at times because it was his main weapon at junior level by all reports, he needs time to adjust that at AFL level but at least he feels like a pretty rounded player without a major flaw.

So you think he is Trying to Hard with his Kicking?

2. Lack of an exit strategy. Some teams like to transition from defence to offence with chains of handballs, some teams like to do it by kicking long to their quality talls, others go with the short skillful kicks. I'm not sure what we do. Granted we don't actually have the pace and skills to do too much with our chains of handballs, and we certainly don't have the skills of the Hawks to go with the short kicking. When we had Cloke we often just went long to him and he either marked it or broke even in the contest and otherwise helped create space for others. But with our two rucks being sub-par marks and our mids not really the type to be strong overhead we are really short of options as to how to transition.

Great write up!

We're definitely not a side that can pick through a zone and it seems like we don't even try. I think the first option is to take a mark then get a handball receive and move it long up the wing to where Cloke usually is, with someone pushing up from half forward to receive the handpass. Failing that, I think we're pretty comfortable forcing a ground ball and backing us in to win the contested ball; we're a pretty strong contested possession side. Would love to get your thoughts on our kick-in/rebound strategy over the course of the season.

Maybe he put to much Pressure on Himself as being the Only KPF we had out there. Lot to learn from that

Both had Poor Games and both Well Beaten by Gawn

No Surprise he struggled early. I think all players on Debut would struggle early in that game.

Takes 2 Years to Fully get over a ACL so still has lot of Upside

So you think he is Trying to Hard with his Kicking?

I think we sold Moore into trouble by playing him as the only KPF. In fact his leads and his sticky hands showed great skills, but as you say the pressure got to him with him rushing his kicks and he simply couldn't compete. Say what you want about White, but White/Moore/Grundy as the three main talls spending time in the forward line last week kicked 9.3 while we registered 47 I50s for the game, and Moore/Grundy/Witts this week kicked 1.1 while we registered 58 I50s...

With Maynard I think he knows he's got a long kick so tries to over use it. Sometimes it's worked and sometimes it doesn't and we get frustrated because we know our other defenders are below average kicks so we're looking for a saviour there.

Great write up!

We're definitely not a side that can pick through a zone and it seems like we don't even try. I think the first option is to take a mark then get a handball receive and move it long up the wing to where Cloke usually is, with someone pushing up from half forward to receive the handpass. Failing that, I think we're pretty comfortable forcing a ground ball and backing us in to win the contested ball; we're a pretty strong contested possession side. Would love to get your thoughts on our kick-in/rebound strategy over the course of the season.

If you remember at the start of the year Goldsack was doing almost all of our kick ins and was doing pretty well at it, he made a decision quickly and either went the short option on the side, or the long option to a contest. But his form and his confidence in his kicking slowly deteriorating and that's left us with no options there (Langdon as we saw Saturday doesn't do well with it, Williams can't be a long term solution and Varcoe would be great for the short kick but not necessarily the long one).

Ultimately to me it comes down to the fact that we don't have great kicks/don't have players who are confident enough in their kicking to go to the first option they spot, so we're forced to kick long to a contest (even if we do it in two steps by going to very short kick on the side first, usually to Frost). With Cloke playing a CHF type role and coming to help on the wing we had an easy option where we were confident of getting the mark or getting it to the ground or to the boundary line. But without him, our options for the long kick are 2 ruckmen who don't know how to mark the ball, Pendles and Swan who don't like to go for the mark, and Adams/Seedsman/Crisp/Broomhead/Greenwood or whoever else plays there for us with none of them particularly good at contested marking.

So teams are happy to flood our defensive 50 with the knowledge that we won't cut through it with the short kicks, and we won't cut through it by playing on and using pace/bounces to quickly rebound and take advantage of the fact that they're playing extra numbers forward. Without that third option which is to kick long to a strong marking option I just think we're left without a plan.

I think we sold Moore into trouble by playing him as the only KPF. In fact his leads and his sticky hands showed great skills, but as you say the pressure got to him with him rushing his kicks and he simply couldn't compete. Say what you want about White, but White/Moore/Grundy as the three main talls spending time in the forward line last week kicked 9.3 while we registered 47 I50s for the game, and Moore/Grundy/Witts this week kicked 1.1 while we registered 58 I50s...

With Maynard I think he knows he's got a long kick so tries to over use it. Sometimes it's worked and sometimes it doesn't and we get frustrated because we know our other defenders are below average kicks so we're looking for a saviour there.

I would try Reid before I try White again as a KPF. Agree Buckley put way to much Pressure on Moore as 4th gamer and being our Only Key Forward. Essendon did that with Joe Danhier when he joined the Bummers

Maynard and Scharanberg are the 2 future Defenders that we know have Nice Skills and can Use the Ball Well

Langdon taking kick ins is an utter joke really.

He is not only a poor kick of the footy but he is also an even worse decision maker. This is where you need on field leadership. Forget what the coaching staff are saying, somebody had to go over and relieve him of his duties because he is not cut out to be kicking the footy with regularity. Toovey could not have done a worse job and we all know what his kicking skills are like.

In fact, Langdon's form has been pretty poor for some time IMO. He is really slow on the ball which doesn't help his poor kicking and decision making.

The result is what it is.
Exposure into players like Moore, Scharenberg, Maynard, De Goey etc will hold us in good stead. No genuine forward options with Cloke out and Elliott just coming back as sub was always going be a hurdle to score despite winning the inside 50 count easily.

Two rucks also needs to stop. It doesn't work for us, it never has. It's one or the other and they must compete to force each other out of the side. We look slow and poor with two ruckmen.

Langdon taking kick ins is an utter joke really.

He is not only a poor kick of the footy but he is also an even worse decision maker. This is where you need on field leadership. Forget what the coaching staff are saying, somebody had to go over and relieve him of his duties because he is not cut out to be kicking the footy with regularity. Toovey could not have done a worse job and we all know what his kicking skills are like.

In fact, Langdon's form has been pretty poor for some time IMO. He is really slow on the ball which doesn't help his poor kicking and decision making.

The result is what it is.
Exposure into players like Moore, Scharenberg, Maynard, De Goey etc will hold us in good stead. No genuine forward options with Cloke out and Elliott just coming back as sub was always going be a hurdle to score despite winning the inside 50 count easily.

Two rucks also needs to stop. It doesn't work for us, it never has. It's one or the other and they must compete to force each other out of the side. We look slow and poor with two ruckmen.

I don't think Langdon's form has been poor. He was great against Port and has been pretty good since. On his decision making, in his debut year he was actually displaying really good vision and smart kicks over the top of opponents. He hasn't delivered on the potential improvement we could have expected seeing how good he was in his first year so he's lost a bit of that, but I don't think his decision making is a major issue in his game and certainly he did better than Toovey (or Brown or Williams or Frost) could have done — which granted isn't saying much.

Agree on both the forward options and the rucks of course.

Been saying that for 2 years now. The wrong people are taking the kick ins. If need be, send Pendlebury back there the way Buckley used to do. We can't afford to let the likes of Langdon and Williams to kick in. We have had no kickin plan since Leon left.
What are we paying our coaches to do?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back