Colin D'Cops

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Essendon Player Sponsor 2011
Nov 24, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Ben McEvoy or Mike Pyke?
Zorko vs Slyvia in the forward line?
Don't think either of them represent great value to be honest. McEvoy is and always will be more of an SC player. Pyke may increase his average being the number 1 ruckman, but personally I have doubts about his ability to hold down the number 1 ruck spot. Not because others are banging on the door, simply because it's just not the kind of player he is. I think he'll end up back in his traditional role at some point over the course of the season - maybe sooner, maybe later. Just my opinion and I could definitely be wrong, but I wouldn't pick him, personally.

To answer your question more directly: I wouldn't pick either, but Pyke has more potential to increase his value.

It's a tough one. Zorko represents massive value if Leppitsch allows him to spend more time in the midfield. He plays his best football there, yes, but it's a structure thing - he is a highly capable goal sneak and, structurally, he supports their forward line very well (especially since their tall forwards drop more than they mark). I'm not 100% convinced that he'll get as much midfield time this year as people suspect unless somebody like Green really breaks out. That said though, he is immense value at his price tag and is worth the risk.

Sylvia could go either way - could improve his numbers with a very good midfield around him, or they could drop on account of not being relied on so heavily. I expect they'll improve - but it's hard to say by how much.

Personally I have Sylvia just edging Zorko out in terms of being a better pick - but this all depends on Leppitsch's decision on Zorko, as, with extended midfield time, he's almost undoubtedly a better pick in my opinion. I see nothing wrong with having both of them, though.
Last lot of posts from previous thread: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2013-player-x-v-player-y.984079.

Go nuts!

Watson or Cotchin or Brandon Ellis?

Watson definitely has less question marks and his ceiling is about the same as the other two imo so I would go with him. Stanton will most likely go on his early season tear again and Heppell should continue to improve on his impressive midfield efforts so they should help share the tag. Only question mark is that he may spend a bit more time forward if they have a fully fit Stanton, Heppell, Zaha etc.

Cotchin will get plenty of attention but he can score reasonably well through it. It's just a matter of how much he gets the number 1 tagger and how much Deledio gets it.

Ellis is underpriced on what he put on display once he shrugged the vest last year. I do have big concerns on him though. His scoring is very much mark/kick thanks to his gut running. His team mates love to give him the ball which is always a bonus but he is a damaging player and outside players are being tagged more and more these days. He isn't soft by any means, he can go inside and can tackle but that isn't where the majority of his points come from. Cotchin and Deledio will get the number 1 tagger but I believe he will get a fair bit of attention from Armfield like players and it could really hurt his scoring.

I actually have all 3 in my team at this stage. Ellis is the less secure even though it would be very hard to leave him out after what he did for me from 200k last year.

Just a warning: Atley has been "set for a breakout year" and "earmarked for more midfield time" for about three years now. Still a risky pick.

McDonald is almost a must have this year in my opinion. Has the body and the skills to have an immediate impact in a side that will play him regularly.

Just a warning: Atley has been "set for a breakout year" and "earmarked for more midfield time" for about three years now. Still a risky pick.

McDonald is almost a must have this year in my opinion. Has the body and the skills to have an immediate impact in a side that will play him regularly.

Interesting Stat: Only Shaun Higgins has had more 'breakout years' planned/reported of players currently on an AFL list.... *

(* this stat may have been fabricated for the purposes of this post)

I agree on McDonald.

Shuey should have a good start to the season based off previous games against those opponents. If he's playing well during the NAB Challenge I'd be choosing him over Ward.

Interesting ones to throw out there:

Ablett v Scott Selwood and 34k
Franklin v Chapman
Hanley v Lumumba
Not sure about the other ones but Franklin over Chapman with ease. Expect Franklin to average similarly to Chapman when they both play but expect Essendon to take a conservative approach in regards to amount of games played with their new recruit. This will no doubt mean Chappy will get rested a fair bit which is obviously no good.

At the moment for my team, I've hit a big of a snag and somehow it almost entirely revolves around my D6 spot.

Brodie Martin (D6) + Clinton Young (M7) + Matthew Pavlich (F6) or Luke McDonald (D6) + Dale Thomas (M7) + Nathan Bock (F6) + ~$50,000?

It's the final call to make for my team until after the NAB Cup and obviously the round one fixture changes, but for me it seems like a pretty big one.

Last edited:
I would prefer the second option^ not too sure, hope the NAB cup can help!

Swallow or Broughton?
Both I think have pretty high ceilings if played in the correct role, atm I have Broughton in but am leaning towards Swallow for my D4 possy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would prefer the second option^ not too sure, hope the NAB cup can help!

Swallow or Broughton?
Both I think have pretty high ceilings if played in the correct role, atm I have Broughton in but am leaning towards Swallow for my D4 possy

Swallow is at my D4 and won't be moving.

Wouldn't even consider Broughts'.

I have pick 2 in my Ultimate Footy Draft... assuming Ablett goes #1, I am thinking of peds or Dangerfield. Thoughts?

It depends if it's a league that allows captains or not. For me I'd go a gun-mid like Pendles for a captain league to guarantee that 220+ points every week; if it's a non-captain league then Dangerfield would be more viable at pick 2. Just my opinion anyway.

Swallow or Broughton?

I think the likelyhood of Swallow playing in the middle is greater than Broughton.

In my Draft Im stuck on a few options for my 2nd pick...

Barlow, Mundy, Steven, Montagna, Dusty, Sidebottom... Thoughts?

I think picking Martin is smarter if he will be top five in the forwards this season.
You might miss out on a midfielder now but you should be able to get a mid with perhaps a 5 point drop in average in your next round of picks, the next chance forward you get will be a 10 to 15 point average drop off.

If your choice is Barlow now (105 point average) and then a forward next pick (70 point average)
OR Martin now (95 point average) and then another midfielder next pick (95 point average)

Your team is better with the second option.

I think picking Martin is smarter if he will be top five in the forwards this season.
You might miss out on a midfielder now but you should be able to get a mid with perhaps a 5 point drop in average in your next round of picks, the next chance forward you get will be a 10 to 15 point average drop off.

If your choice is Barlow now (105 point average) and then a forward next pick (70 point average)
OR Martin now (95 point average) and then another midfielder next pick (95 point average)

Your team is better with the second option.

Thanks, Kinda what I was thinking. I now have Dangerfield and Martin as my 2 first picks. Both dual pos players which is handy as well

Thanks, Kinda what I was thinking. I now have Dangerfield and Martin as my 2 first picks. Both dual pos players which is handy as well

Geez that's not bad considering they're pretty much the only 2 forwards to just about guarantee a 100-ish average (don't think Riewoldt will). What picks did you have for curiosity's sake?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back