PS3 Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale

Remove this Banner Ad

That's like saying a Mario game is fun because there are enemies. You wouldn't expect anything less.

But by the sounds of it, this game's gonna have some balance issues. Always thought that Killzone character looked totally out of place in a game like this.
Once again it was an observation. Not knowing how a vast majority of recent fighting games work, as the last one I played bar the recent MK demo was probably MK2 or something or a Tekken on the PS, back when spamming moves generally DID work (MK=Leg Sweep, Uppercut, Leg Sweep, Uppercut, Leg Sweep, Uppercut, etc.). I'm not saying it was something outstanding or brilliant. But not being a general fighting fan I was surprised at how much you had to pick your moves due to the range on some being lesser, the situation calling for a distance weapon, etc. and how you could be punished if you picked the wrong move at the wrong time. That's all.

Radec also only has one move that is overpowered. So far I haven't seen much wrong with the balancing over the 6 characters to choose from. And what is also something to remember is that this is a very old build, so that Radec move could be gone from the game by now, or dulled down. The move is just a sniper shot that covers the length of the arena, but can be countered by jumping over it. The only problem comes from it being easy to just use from a distance. Otherwise Radec is fine as a character and has some neat moves (my fave being the Jump+Down move where he pops out a grenade).

Update: EB didnt have the codes for PS+ with the magazines, said they should be getting them next week and to come back with receipt for it

#inconvenient

Yeah same thing today. Said they'd have them in the next couple of days.

When you get your code, wait a bit to activate it. GOW beta next month.

Is that PSN list up to date? Will add a few people for the GOW beta/Sony Smash Bros. HBK, 04, camo etc.

yeah i'll be on for both god of war and ps all stars....

well.....def god of war. i'll give this beta a go and see how i like it before i make up my mind on it (even though already had pre-order down for couple of months)

If we can get 4 of us on at the same time for the PS all stars beta would be nice, online has been a mess for me. My screen its a 1v1, round ends and 2 other people were in with us and one of them won :confused:

Constant drop outs after 10-20 seconds the other night with Jordz was annoyingly funny too. Yet to play a full working match on this since the beta started

If we can get 4 of us on at the same time for the PS all stars beta would be nice, online has been a mess for me. My screen its a 1v1, round ends and 2 other people were in with us and one of them won :confused:

Constant drop outs after 10-20 seconds the other night with Jordz was annoyingly funny too. Yet to play a full working match on this since the beta started

Mention me and I'll jump on at some point PSN: BigSledge_32

Just finished a little session then.

Got in about 9-10 games or so. A few of them were full, some not. I lost all but one match, but didn't care as it was just fun anyway. Although I would've won another match had I not used my super too late with Fat Princess, only got two kills from it when if I had've had a bit more time I would've easily got another couple and won the match.

Right now my favourite two characters are Sweet Tooth and Kratos, leaning towards Sweet Tooth though right now, he just has a decent range of attacks and has some good effective dodge moves too.

It's not a game I could see myself putting in massive sessions on, as I just can't handle the repetition like that, which is the main reason I stay away from fighting games in general. But as a 10-30 minute burst game it could be a fantastic break up of variety.

FWIW too, only had one game where Radec was being used and being exploited. And in that game it was interesting the other players were on the mic (I wasn't) and mentioning how much the game reminded them of SSB, but they all agreed with each other that this was better. I think a couple of them were on Vita too, so it was good to see that the game can cross over smoothly on both consoles.

I like the game, but I don't see myself playing it online much. It does however look like the perfect game to take to a mates house and have a few beers and spend an hour or so fighting it out.

Kratos feels familiar for obvious reasons, Sly Cooper is s**t. Sweet tooth is pretty awesome and Radec is pretty average in close but not terrible.

well i played about half a match and got booted and then couldn't find a match for the next 30 odd minutes that i tried for.....not to mention i couldn't party up with anybody. :thumbsdown:

the half match i got into felt like a bit of fun but i'm not sure i actually want to get it now....i struggle to think when i'll find time to put it in the console with wwe13 and blops2 being out so close...

well i played about half a match and got booted and then couldn't find a match for the next 30 odd minutes that i tried for.....not to mention i couldn't party up with anybody. :thumbsdown:

the half match i got into felt like a bit of fun but i'm not sure i actually want to get it now....i struggle to think when i'll find time to put it in the console with wwe13 and blops2 being out so close...

dont get it, terrible fighting game. doesn't hold a rats a-hole to ssb

As posted in the PS3 News thread, a full 2 minute live action ad has been released for the game.

Got the beta and spent a good hour with it. Bad stuff first.

-Firmware update whatever ****ed up my ps3. Interface now seems sluggish, Friend's list takes 8 years to appear, couldn't send friend requests. Every attempt got server timed out. Add me sony smash and gow bros.

PSN: TDSpartan

-I really REALLY dislike that there is no training/arena for each character just to tune up, see what does what etc. I understand it is a beta and they are mostly testing the servers, but c'mon son. Every time you try a new character you have to spend half the match figuring out their moves. Parappa shouldn't be the only available character in the training mode.

-4 player free for all at first is a giant cluster****. You can easily lose track of your character, especially when there are multiples. Full roster and costumes will help somewhat, but it is still a cluster**** IMO.

-Some bugs and glitches. Several times I would select a character and be assigned someone else. People would be in the match and not appear until the end screen, etc

Now the good:

-Barely any lag at all. Really smooth and responsive. Soniamproud.

-1v1v1 is where it's at. Had a few of these matches (random invisible fourth person would appear at score screen) and they are way, way better than free for all. Much less cluster****y. You're far more aware of each other, your super meters etc. Most of these matches we were all unique characters which helped as well. This one time I had a lead and knew it, had built it using multiples level ones. Radec and Tooth had both been building to level 3's. Radec got to within a ****'s hair of it when my Fatty said "NOT IN MY HOUSE". Two throws and he lost half a freaking bar. This is how you use throws, at the start they are useless, but they take chunks of AP off when they are near a level 3.

-Each character feels really different and unique.

-I suck at this but I don't get mad. When I'm on a losing streak in a shooter, I get pissed but I don't seem to care here because I'm having fun. Maybe that will change after more defeats. Getting a little better though, won some matches and close defeats. I rely heavily on 1's, I can't build meter worth a damn.

-Dat feel when someone busts a level 3 and you are Sly, go invisible and give zero ****s. He's terrible though apart from invisibility.

Going to play more now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

-I suck at this but I don't get mad. When I'm on a losing streak in a shooter, I get pissed but I don't seem to care here because I'm having fun. Maybe that will change after more defeats. Getting a little better though, won some matches and close defeats. I rely heavily on 1's, I can't build meter worth a damn.
Agree with Big Sauce on the write up, mirrors most of my opinions. Although the training one will obviously come, come full release so it's not a big issue for mine. Wouldn't mind some form of offline mode personally.

But agree most with this part. I just haven't got angry at all and I have lost all but one game, I feel like I'm mainly losing because I'm just trying out every move as much as possible and still defining my own styles and tactics. But I don't get angry at being killed.

I think like you I need to use my 1's more as I find myself not getting as high as I can in the match (often getting to 2 then getting destroyed constantly so I can't get up to 3) and then regretting not going for 1's when I get them.

I've played about ten or so rounds and won a couple of them (including my second match).

I tend to go for the opposite strategy and try and build up a level 3 so I can wipe out everyone in one hit. Then try and get a couple of level 1 attacks in before the buzzer.

All the characters I'm interested in aren't in this code (Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank along with Raiden are my big 3) bar Kratos & Sweet Tooth.

What I'm finding is that most games are full of people as Kratos. Which has seen me going as Sweet Tooth to be different.

The one time I tried out Sly Cooper I ended up in a level with 2 others, was the worst match ever as Sly is a dud character here.

The difference between a four player match with 3 Kratos' (including you.. even though you chose a different character) and some lag/teleportation, and three unique players running smooth is night and day. Game goes from bad/meh to amazing.

I hate that bug where you take 20 seconds to respawn. Happened to me twice in one match but I still someone won.

I think it's far too early to say anybody is OP. The consensus seems to be that Parappa is "meh" but I can clean house with him. Easily my best character, most likely because I played around with him in the tutorial so I know what I'm doing. His level 2 is amazing and will clear the screen. I try to use two of them a match, or at least one and some level 1's thrown in.

The other important thing about Parappa is that...

You gotta believe!

2h5pizt.jpg

I'll be on most late afternoon/evenings for some 2v2 if anyone wants to party up. Beta is gone in a week remember.. going on again soon. Gotta get my fix...

I couldn't nail Parappa's Level 1 for love nor money. It has a terrible instant arc on it to the point where I'd just miss everyone even if I was right next to them, where do you tend to use it for full effect?

I couldn't nail Parappa's Level 1 for love nor money. It has a terrible instant arc on it to the point where I'd just miss everyone even if I was right next to them, where do you tend to use it for full effect?

His level 1 is pretty terrible but it gets the job done. I usually use it as an ambush. Run up from behind on unsuspecting opponent and pop it. His level 2 is the prize. That game above I somehow got a double on his level 1 TWICE, when I only ever get one kill max all other times. Just a golden match it seems.

The other thing about his level one is it comes out really fast. Other level ones have a bit of a start up and you can get hit out of them, wasting a bar. Never been hit out of a Parappa level one. Trade off is pathetic range.

Finished a good 2 hour session then with Face_Plain ended in the best way possible too. A double overtime win! We played 2 Vs 2 for the entire session, which was a nice change of pace instead of everyone hammering me.:(

Everything was pretty smooth and awesome for the most part too. We had a couple of matches conk out a little bit into it and there was one period of about 5-10 mins where it just couldn't find anyone to partner us up with (which could just have been that there was nobody). But it was really fun once into it.

I think I'm moving my favourite character to play with slightly more to Kratos as well, he's just good at everything, he has some long range moves, some good aerial moves and his supers are generally very strong too (his level 1 can be just as strong as his level 2!). But I do enjoy playing as Sweet Tooth a whole lot, I just like the brutality of his moves and how strong they seem.

Fat Princess is probably my least favourite, she's just bulky and hard to use (which isn't surprising considering she is FAT Princess). And I don't like her supers much either.

The only character I didn't give a go to tonight was Sly, will have to give him more of a go next time around. You smashed with him to start off with Plainy. Although that round where you were Kratos was like watching a masterclass, those 5 games definitely came in handy.:D Too bad when you got the Level 3 you couldn't hit anyone with it!

Once there's more characters to choose from, more levels to play on and more pick ups on the battlefield this will really come into it's own. Is really right on the verge of a must buy for me now.

I had a couple rounds of this but kept getting dumped out so I gave up.

Kratos really is benefiting from being in an action game before. His abilities in close and that attack which pulls in enemies from mid distance is pretty handy. I reckon other guys like Dante & Raiden will be similarly hand

Finished a good 2 hour session then with Face_Plain ended in the best way possible too. A double overtime win! We played 2 Vs 2 for the entire session, which was a nice change of pace instead of everyone hammering me.:(

Seriously, that last match. Went into DOUBLE AP OVERTIME, then...TRIPLE AP OVATIME!!!

When I popped Sly's 2nd super to close out the match and completely botched it, I could almost hear you throw your controller into the tv through the internetz. Got down to the last 10 seconds, we all had level 1's. I popped mine a microsecond before opponent and got him. You got the other with a lvl 1 in the last 2 seconds to seal it. Epic match.

Everything was pretty smooth and awesome for the most part too. We had a couple of matches conk out a little bit into it and there was one period of about 5-10 mins where it just couldn't find anyone to partner us up with (which could just have been that there was nobody). But it was really fun once into it.

Game really shines in 2v2, when you can get in a ****ing match. I think rank somehow influences the match making. When using higher characters you seem to be more prone to get stuck in the doom loop. Have to completely quit and reload the game to reset ranks every few matches. Tedious.

The conking out was them quitting. That happened when it was 2v1, quitters partner was MIA. It was finding opponents BTW. I could hear them talking. The search is just s**t.

I think I'm moving my favourite character to play with slightly more to Kratos as well, he's just good at everything, he has some long range moves, some good aerial moves and his supers are generally very strong too (his level 1 can be just as strong as his level 2!). But I do enjoy playing as Sweet Tooth a whole lot, I just like the brutality of his moves and how strong they seem.

Fat Princess is probably my least favourite, she's just bulky and hard to use (which isn't surprising considering she is FAT Princess). And I don't like her supers much either.

The only character I didn't give a go to tonight was Sly, will have to give him more of a go next time around. You smashed with him to start off with Plainy. Although that round where you were Kratos was like watching a masterclass, those 5 games definitely came in handy.:D Too bad when you got the Level 3 you couldn't hit anyone with it!

Kratos builds meter like a boss and has great melee range, but I don't really like his supers. His 1 is slow and meh, his 2 is terrible and his 3 is great but I suck at it.

I noticed Tooth was your favourite, he's too slow for me.. and his supers... mother of god. That level 2 is the biggest pile of s**t in the game. Level 1 is serviceable.

Cooper is my go to for 2v2. His >Triangle is amazing. I whore that out a lot. He also has the best level 1 IMO. Pops real quick. That's my strategy in 2v2 with Sly, chip away with 1's and avoid getting hit. Plus he gives zero ****s on certain level 3's.

Radec is solid and I am comfortable with him. The thing is they put his two best maps in the beta. His sniper would be pretty useless on some other maps.

I'm comfortable with Parappa but his level 1 is manure. He got banished after I had that shocker where I was fodder and missed about 5 level 1's.

Who cares about Fat Princess. Though she does have good supers...

Once there's more characters to choose from, more levels to play on and more pick ups on the battlefield this will really come into it's own. Is really right on the verge of a must buy for me now.

I was always day 1, but the beta solidified it.

I would like to apologise to Smug Cooper for doubting him a couple of days ago. He is the god damn boss. Use hit and run tactics with him then chip away with his level 1. His level 1 is the best in the beta hands down. Don't try and combo, he has no block and combos like crap. Use power moves like >Triangle and air Down Square to build level one then wait for your moment. His speed and evasion is the best in the beta, plus invisibility for certain supers.

With no block and Kratos chain grab, smart players can give you a beating if they target you though. You just gotta make your supers count.

I loaded up the beta and straight away went:

7-2
12-2
7-2
10-3
5-2

He is the man. Only one of those kills wasn't from a level 1 BTW.

25zil9x.jpg

I have now jinxed him though and will suck next time.

Seriously, that last match. Went into DOUBLE AP OVERTIME, then...TRIPLE AP OVATIME!!!

When I popped Sly's 2nd super to close out the match and completely botched it, I could almost hear you throw your controller into the tv through the internetz. Got down to the last 10 seconds, we all had level 1's. I popped mine a microsecond before opponent and got him. You got the other with a lvl 1 in the last 2 seconds to seal it. Epic match.
Dat Triple AP! I think the thing that got us over the line in the end was the opposition not really taking advantage of the triple AP, since it only took about 2 shots to actually get a super and yet they seemed to want to play defensively.

When you ****ed the Sly 2nd super I thought we (you;)) had lost it.:p
Kratos builds meter like a boss and has great melee range, but I don't really like his supers. His 1 is slow and meh, his 2 is terrible and his 3 is great but I suck at it.

I noticed Tooth was your favourite, he's too slow for me.. and his supers... mother of god. That level 2 is the biggest pile of s**t in the game. Level 1 is serviceable.
I really enjoy Sweet Tooth, I don't know quite why but his moves just suit the way I want to play. Jumping out of the action and then jumping back in with a big ground pound (that you just don't get with many other characters) and then the up close shotgun that blasts them to the other side of the map.

The level 2 super is weird, should be the level 1, at best you'll only ever take down 1 person with it because of the strange controlling on it.

I'm still not sure if the level 1 has the ability to get through 2 enemies or not though. I do like it though.

As for Kratos. His 2nd super isn't that bad as long as you get in close, does have a long power up compared to most though. His level 1 is similar to Sweet Tooth's level 1 and thus I don't mind it.
I loaded up the beta and straight away went:

7-2
12-2
7-2
10-3
5-2

He is the man. Only one of those kills wasn't from a level 1 BTW.

25zil9x.jpg

I have now jinxed him though and will suck next time.
12 kills is ******* ridiculous! Holy s**t that would've been awesome to watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back