Multiplat Star Wars Jedi: Survivor

Remove this Banner Ad

I listened to the Kinda Funny review and to their credit they spoke in length about how rough it was. Didn’t effect their score but at least they acknowledged it.

When’s the last time a big game had the score knocked down because of the performance?

I can deal with a little bit of jank, but this is rough as guts.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

In the old days reviews were a public service to help make informed decisions. This is how I imagine the review process went for this game

330_212135.jpg

Script conflicts, has to be. They all use same assets so it wouldn't impact UE but when you call one that doesn't mesh with another to bring up a menu, play sound, draw icon move icon on a grid and so on so forth there just has to be conflict with multiple running at same time so memory is getting janked to process it all then resetting.

The inevitable reduction to removal of physical for me will be fraught with danger and we'll see more of these kinda ports and just lazy instances from start to finish as "eh, just patch it later" will be more and more prevalent. Instead of say getting a trial or buy in for early access types, you'll be paying full AAA price for essentially early access beta things where you play QA tester. That's the future I see in either console or PC market.

In the word salad I posted earlier about how this game is handling memory and some things mentioned in that IGN performance review, given this is an AMD sponsored title I wonder if there has been an attempt to utilise AMD Smart Access Memory. Like DLSS this isn't a native feature to UE4 but you can easily download it (DLSS, I haven't looked to see if SAM is there) and apply it to your project. This would be why some CPUs like ones with a bigger L3 cache, dedicated gaming cores or ReBAR enabled systems are marginally better. Either way, whatever customisation they have done to the engine, whether manually or via some UE plugin they downloaded and implemented, has caused critical CPU bottlenecking and the only reason it's less evident to consoles and lower-mid PCs is there is less work for the CPU to do.

I’m done for now, will come back later in the year.

Performance issues aside I’m not enjoying it. The combat is clunky and Cal can be hard to control. There’s no reason to explore except if you want Cal to have a shaped beard and a crew cut…if you’re lucky you’ll find a health bonus or something.

The story seems interesting enough, but it’s lost on me with my frustration with everything else.

I admittedly haven't followed the console issues as closely but those are sounding like they're more about optimisation. The main PS5 complaint I keep seeing is the broken HDR. Interestingly that's the only thing that has worked flawlessly for me and I don't see complaints about from PC lol.

DF released their analysis. Resolution goes below 720p, drops as low as the 30s on performance mode and screen tearing. Not good.

I’m done for now, will come back later in the year.

Performance issues aside I’m not enjoying it. The combat is clunky and Cal can be hard to control. There’s no reason to explore except if you want Cal to have a shaped beard and a crew cut…if you’re lucky you’ll find a health bonus or something.

The story seems interesting enough, but it’s lost on me with my frustration with everything else.

How are people finding the combat clunky out of curiosity? To me it's very similar to the last game which I loved the combat in. Is it that there's a version of input lag or something?

I'm honestly finding the combat smoother than the last game. I'm on PS5 mind you.

I did find the "Son of Oggdo" on Koboh. Died endlessly and gave up. Enjoying the exploring.
Feels better in every way over the first game.

Feel for the PC users though. It seems like they push PC releases for the same time aa console when they should just wait and release latter when fully optimized.

PS5 could do with a better performance mode as well but doesn't appear to be as affecting as what is going on with PC.

I'm honestly finding the combat smoother than the last game. I'm on PS5 mind you.

I did find the "Son of Oggdo" on Koboh. Died endlessly and gave up. Enjoying the exploring.

I had to go from Jedi Master to Jedi Knight to defeat Rancor, that s**t was ****ed. Did beat him first go on Jedi Knight and then thought maybe I could have got there on Master....but I had died at least 30 times in the lead up!

I had to go from Jedi Master to Jedi Knight to defeat Rancor, that s**t was ****ed. Did beat him first go on Jedi Knight and then thought maybe I could have got there on Master....but I had died at least 30 times in the lead up!
Ha. Yes that Rancor was a pain. I've settled on Jedi Knight as my level as i am getting far too frustrated with the mini bosses otherwise

More evidence this is an issue with the way the CPU is handling data. These processors like these X3D variants have a bigger L3 cache, can also improve performance by enabling ReBAR which will kind of have the same affect. This isn't standard UE4 behaviour and don't be fooled into thinking it's PC only. It's also why performance modes on consoles are running like total arse.

When Respawn blamed "cutting edge multithreaded chipsets" I'm starting to wonder if they knew all along. A chipset is what controls the lanes that information moves through the CPU. Different chipsets have different configurations and this affects the amount and speed of things like SATA and NVME drives and things connected to PCIE slots like graphics cards. The CPU cache holds the info to pass between the different lanes. There is technology now to either bypass this or simulate bigger cache. They've possibly tried to leverage something like this and haven't thoroughly tested it and that's why they are blaming the user's configurations.

Last edited:
How are people finding the combat clunky out of curiosity? To me it's very similar to the last game which I loved the combat in. Is it that there's a version of input lag or something?

Some of it can definitely be attributed to the performance issues.

Aside from that I found the enemy targeting is off, Cal will completely ignore the trooper in front of him to go after one further away. Then get shot or hit by the one that was in front of him!

Also very little variety in enemies (and even the bosses) so far as well. Which I guess can’t be helped as they have to work in the parameters of the Star Wars universe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really enjoying it so far. I'm stuck with a glitch though. on Koboh doing the research mission and the 2nd volcano looking thing wont open the steam to give me the 2nd boost of the gliding animal, ive hit it with the orb. I cant get to the 3rd spot because i need the 2nd boost to get up.

Same here. Took no time to get back into the swing of it. Feels right and natural to me.

A symptom of it clearly taking inspiration from the Souls games while being nowhere near as tight.

Enjoying it to, only just entered the kinda open worldish part and definitely notice its not running as smoothly.
On ps5

Yeah Koboh has a fair bit of screen tearing and FPS drops for me too. Even so, still thoroughly enjoying the game. Obviously the squeakiest wheels are the ones that decry all performance issues but I always tend to find the good in games. It captures the Star Wars vibe perfectly, combat is fun but also challenging at times.

Despite some laggy visuals, it's fun as hell. It's not crashing on me or losing progress or anything. Those are my deal breakers. I grew up with Goldeneye dropping to about 2FPS on the streets level when the rocket launchers come out, I can deal with this. I'll gladly welcome the performance update that's coming in the next day or 2, but until then I'm still loving every second.

Reporting back after latest patch. Seems like this game is going to be fixed it parts which is great. Looks like this patch has fixed some technical stuff because the random stutters are 99% gone and the in game settings work. Also VRAM usage looks more normal - previously an early section I was testing kept using around 9.4gb and now about 7.5gb but GPU load is still far lower than what it should be. The opening shader compilation screen seems to be still cosmetic because my CPU load sits at 2% every time lol. FSR still broken because "disabled" is still clearly upscaled so "quality" is still the only real option. It's playable now for PC but still far from optimised which I assume will come sometime soon. Around then the console performance modes should also be fixed. I'm happy to wait for the best experience because I was looking forward to this and after playing even more of the first level (because now I can at least!) I think this will be a lot of fun.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back