Port Adelaide starts new Indigenous academy!

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah true, but personally I don't buy the multicultural focus. For no reason other than gut feel, I feel this is the first step to full on zoning IMO.
They see the athleticism of all these African kids, and $$$$ associated with Asian kids, especially Chinese, and have said we want a slice of that rather than all of them going to soccer. They want to get some big strong Polynesian kids as well but most of them are in NSW and Qld and its up to the 4 clubs in those states to get them.

See if you had a lot of German or Italian or American or Brazilian immigration, the AFL wouldnt really care about those kids because they integrate better than Africans and Asians and the AFL know they cant get them.

They see the athleticism of all these African kids, and $$$$ associated with Asian kids, especially Chinese, and have said we want a slice of that rather than all of them going to soccer. They want to get some big strong Polynesian kids as well but most of them are in NSW and Qld and its up to the 4 clubs in those states to get them.

See if you had a lot of German or Italian or American or Brazilian immigration, the AFL wouldnt really care about those kids because they integrate better than Africans and Asians and the AFL know they cant get them.
Soccer is booming at the junior levels,and parents are more inclined to let their kids play soccer rather than footy. Footy is still seen as the rough redneck sport to outsiders and a bit unorganised at junior levels.The FFA and FFSA are putting a lot of community tournaments on for the African and other migrant nations to keep them interested. We are losing ground fast as a sport.

The one disadvantage that Australian Rules Football will always have is that apart from some gimmick game there is no possibility of representing your country at an international level - and with soccer especially players can choose to play for their host nation, their nation of birth or the nation of their parents. Add to that the ability to travel the world and always find work at some level from 18-40 if you are good enough and you can see why it's an appealing choice for many as a career option.

That's why it's imperative that the AFL expands the talent pool. It needs to generate interest from these other groups that is more than just a cursory glance, and the best way to do that is by having more ethnic groups represented so they can point to them and say 'That's our guy.'

The one disadvantage that Australian Rules Football will always have is that apart from some gimmick game there is no possibility of representing your country at an international level - and with soccer especially players can choose to play for their host nation, their nation of birth or the nation of their parents. Add to that the ability to travel the world and always find work at some level from 18-40 if you are good enough and you can see why it's an appealing choice for many as a career option.

That's why it's imperative that the AFL expands the talent pool. It needs to generate interest from these other groups that is more than just a cursory glance, and the best way to do that is by having more ethnic groups represented so they can point to them and say 'That's our guy.'
Yep, when I first moved back to Adelaide 5 years ago and lived with my sister in the western suburbs, I was staggered at the number and height of the Sudanese and African kids and then occasionally watch them play sport and their athleticism. You dont get an appreciation when you come back for Christmas or a week here or there and spend all your time with family and friends. I thought if Port could grab one of those guys and turn him into an AFL player we, would get the whole community behind him and us, because he would become their champion and the one to aspire to be like. It happens everywhere around Oz or the world where large immigration happens.

The point is we have been doing something for charity, then others do the same thing and are allowed to gain.
A perfectly reasonable query then is; can we gain too?
You will gain. You will probably get outback South Australia and be able to have rights to players from there.

You will gain. You will probably get outback South Australia and be able to have rights to players from there.
Hahahhahaha, have you read ANYTHING about what we have done or are you just guessing that it'll all work itself out?

How many aboriginal lads are in Tassie? What is the cut off point 1/8th, 1/32nd etc. There are no native full bloods in Tassie so the AFL will have draw a line despite aboriginal people saying there is no such thing as part aboriginal. ......
Years ago I worked for a company in rural Australia where we received subsidies for employing "aboriginal" people. I can't remember the exact wording of the definition provided in the associated legislation but the jist of it was that to determine aboriginality on the basis of race was racist. o_O

To be aboriginal you must identify as aboriginal and be recognised by other people who identify as aboriginal as being aboriginal. The percentage of a persons heritage that is actually aboriginal is pretty much irrelevant. This is partly due to people hiding their aboriginality in past generations making it difficult for current generations to prove they have aboriginal heritage.

This has been quite topical in recent years in Tasmania where groups of people have disputed each others claims to aboriginality and therefore access to public moneys.

Hahahhahaha, have you read ANYTHING about what we have done or are you just guessing that it'll all work itself out?
Probably too busy drooling and figuring out where Geelong can get their next leg-up from the AFL. Although if I was a Vic club I'd be livid that the current premiers have got one of the two prime areas of the NT.

This thread explains why NT will never get it's own team. Everyone wants their share of the talent pool up there. I would like to see how quickly an NT team could become super competitive in the AFL. I bet it's a whole lot quicker than GWS and GC.

Years ago I worked for a company in rural Australia where we received subsidies for employing "aboriginal" people. I can't remember the exact wording of the definition provided in the associated legislation but the jist of it was that to determine aboriginality on the basis of race was racist. o_O

To be aboriginal you must identify as aboriginal and be recognised by other people who identify as aboriginal as being aboriginal. The percentage of a persons heritage that is actually aboriginal is pretty much irrelevant. This is partly due to people hiding their aboriginality in past generations making it difficult for current generations to prove they have aboriginal heritage.

This has been quite topical in recent years in Tasmania where groups of people have disputed each others claims to aboriginality and therefore access to public moneys.

bolt_al1-200x01.jpg

AFL Next Generation Club Academy zones

West Coast
Metropolitan – East Perth, Perth, Swan Districts, Subiaco
Regional – South West (90 per cent), Midlands, Great Southern, Goldfields
* The Eagles will also have access to indigenous players in the Pilbara region

Fremantle
Metropolitan – East Fremantle, South Fremantle, Peel Thunder, West Perth, Claremont
Regional – Midwest, South West (10 per cent), Wheatbelt
* The Dockers will also have access to players from the Kimberley region

Adelaide
Metropolitan – Central District, Glenelg, North Adelaide, Sturt
Regional – North Adelaide country zone (Northern), Woodville-West Torrens country zone, APY Lands – East (Kenmore, Fregon, Mimili and Indulkana)

Port Adelaide
Metropolitan – Norwood, Woodville-West Torrens, South Adelaide, West Adelaide
Regional – Woodville-West Torrens country zone (Yorke Peninsula), Woodville-West Torrens country zone, APY Lands – West (Ernabella, Amata, Murputja and Pipalyatjara)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There seems to be a mistake. Both clubs are listed as having access to the Woodville West Torrens country zone in the far North-West.

It would make more sense historically if we were actually given the Norwood Eyre Peninsula zone - since that's really ours anyway.

Port Adelaide receives traditional heartland via AFL zone distributions
Port's heartland back

After surrendering its traditional Eyre Peninsula and metropolitan zones as part of its football program restructure in 2014, Port Adelaide has reacquired its 'heartland' via the Next Generation Academy allocations.

The areas distributed to the two South Australian elite clubs correlate to those provided by the SANFL to its eight non-AFL teams.

Port Adelaide has been allocated the zones of Woodville-West Torrens, Norwood, South Adelaide and West Adelaide in the AFL's distribution.

Those regions include the Eyre, Fleurieu and Yorke Peninsulas, Kangaroo Island, parts of the mid-north and Riverland, as well as Adelaide’s north-eastern suburbs, north-western and outer southern suburbs.

More ..
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2016-04-12/port-adelaides-zones-are-back

Gavin Wanganeen was from Salisbury right? That used to be Port zone but now a Central zone? If he were 17 today....Crows would get first dibs....makes me sick a little!

There seems to be a mistake. Both clubs are listed as having access to the Woodville West Torrens country zone in the far North-West.

It would make more sense historically if we were actually given the Norwood Eyre Peninsula zone - since that's really ours anyway.

According to the Crows board (and the article on our site, now that I've read it :$ ) the WWT country zone is split into East (Crows) and West (Port)

Gavin Wanganeen was from Salisbury right? That used to be Port zone but now a Central zone? If he were 17 today....Crows would get first dibs....makes me sick a little!
Would swap the South Adelaide and Centrals zones.

According to the Crows board (and the article on our site, now that I've read it :$ ) the WWT country zone is split into East (Crows) and West (Port)

They are talking about the APY lands being split. The AFL article didn't have Eyre Peninsula listed, but Port does. That was the issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back