2nds Port Adelaide vs North Adelaide - Round 13 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Bad luck Summo, you deserved better than that.
Well he didn't help himself there. Apart from 1 excellent set-shot goal at the end of the 3rd quarter he was well down on his normal high standard.

that last quarter we kicked 1 goal 3 and north kicked 4 goals 6
Mitch Harvey in ruck to start the last quarter and North just walked the ball out from every tap until he was replaced by Bruggerman. They used those clearances well, scoring 3 quick goals to open the quarter.

Poor game. Bit like the crows game where we burst out of the blocks, looked all over them early then were slowly reeled in. North went man on man all over the ground and we pushed too far up and were burnt of the ball coming back out over the top again and again.

Desperately need some fit ruckmen, we were smashed at clearances. North's older more mature bodies too strong in heavy conditions.

We're in the season within a season and just don't have the physical maturity and strength to go with older sanfl sides as winter sets in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coulda really gone either way I thought. Matty Campbell ripped us apart, shoulda paid more attention to Obst.

Mason was a bit down this week, Moore used his big body really well in contests, Neade too quiet in the second half, Butcher was more bad than good.

Selections could of been better.

P. Stew for power next week.
Lol. Why? Burnt the ball, was indecisive. Directly gave away two goals from ridiculous kicks across goal. Had a shocker I thought.

That said he was worlds better then Moore. So disappointing.

Most of the scoring shots from both teams were at the Port HQ end.

Stewart might get a call up (I reckon Kern will play him down back instead of up forward)
Russell played his best game so far his defensive efforts (spoils and tackles) were impressive.
Newton was playing hurt but did a decent job.
Moore was good in the "Ollie Wines" role.
Bruggemann was great in the ruck and around the ground.
Butcher was Butcher.. Great marking, kicked a good goal but missed 2 or 3 sitters.
Karl Amon was good with 4 goals (I think he kicked them all in the first half)
Byrne-Jones and Krakouer I thought had good games.
Johansen made a few mistakes with his kicking but his run is great and I think he played well in his first Maggies game in 4 months.
Shaw was down on output but was not bad.
Harvey is a great kick for goal, is developing nicely.
Neade and Flynn were great early but disappeared in the 2nd half.
Summerton was down on his usual form.
Ah Chee was good in patches (I swear he was wearing Number 5 for some reason in the 2nd half)
Robbie Young was quiet.
Clurey found himself lost on the wing a fair bit and needed to get back a bit more and mark up on his man.
Slattery and Biemans were average.
Stevenson is struggling at the moment.

We lost by two points, hardly fell to pieces. North deserved the win and were too strong around the ball while preying on our errors. We have a lot of young, inexperienced players, especially in key positions, and no rucks.

Lol. Why? Burnt the ball, was indecisive. Directly gave away two goals from ridiculous kicks across goal. Had a shocker I thought.

That said he was worlds better then Moore. So disappointing.

in fairness it was both of their first games back after a few weeks out injured, they will be better for the run.

Had passable lead at the start of the last quarter. Not a winning lead as it turned out but it could have been. The first move forward was ours and the ball could have been sent deep into our forward line but Neade hung around trying to work out what to do, eventually did nothing and the ball was taken away for a North goal. Would have liked to have seen their score from turnovers as well as the score we lost from turnovers. I remember only one goal North kicked from a centred ball they marked within goalkicking distance, but I also remember at least 3 where we had a goal on toast and threw it away by centring to a contest.

silly football in the last ten minutes cost us the match, stupid chippy chippy football 'winding the clock down' while a few points up at the 19 minute mark until the end of the game. newton, clanger of the year. really dumb football all round late in the game. apart from that it was a great game and a cracking contest, no doubt we will learn a lesson and will be better for it later in the year. the flogsters deserved the win as they played the better more attacking footy when the game was on the line, as much as i hate to say it, but we will bounce back, no doubt about it.

silly football in the last ten minutes cost us the match, stupid chippy chippy football 'winding the clock down' while a few points up at the 19 minute mark until the end of the game. newton, clanger of the year. really dumb football all round late in the game. apart from that it was a great game and a cracking contest, no doubt we will learn a lesson and will be better for it later in the year. the flogsters deserved the win as they played the better more attacking footy when the game was on the line, as much as i hate to say it, but we will bounce back, no doubt about it.

I reckon the chipping around the back was fine when we were a goal up. But I was scratching my head as to why they were still doing it when North were up by a few points. We needed to roll the dice and take the game on. we didn't do that and the siren went when we were just outside 50.

in fairness it was both of their first games back after a few weeks out injured, they will be better for the run.
Indeed. Just reacting to people saying Paul had a cracked and should be selected in the Power. Clearly not the case.

.... Bit like the crows game where we burst out of the blocks, looked all over them early then were slowly reeled in .....
I wouldn't compare the games. We had a pretty consistent 3 goal lead today but fell off a cliff at the start of the 4th. By the time we staunched the haemorrhaging the game was neck and neck and North showed more composure, to name a topical trait. Butch inexplicably stops running while carrying the ball forward and is caught holding the ball. Mitch Harvey runs out of a contest on the HFF and after 2 steps bounces so is also caught holding the ball. And so on.

As already said by Ford, the chooks had the bigger more mature bodies and destroyed the Maggies in the contest time and time again.

The maggies clearly don't have a ruckman who can give the onballers first use, ( I doubt we had more than 2 centre clearances in the first half, and not a lot more for the rest of the game ), most of our attacks were launched from the half back line, which gave us a lead from time to time but couldn't be sustained for long periods, and the chooks answered virtually everytime, I lost count of their walk in sodas created by numbers loose in their forward half.

Some Maggie players had cameos for a qtr or a half, but overall it was a very disappointing effort, and not one player did enough ( in my opinion ) to earn an AFL call up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back