Port v Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Angus Young

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So finals begin next week...

Freo might as well rest against the Lions and get ready for their first final v port

Are Port that good?? or the blues just dog s**t... either way 100 points is pretty impressive...Freo only managed to get the Blues on the last kick at home.

No Fyfe or Barlow. This game is huge.

How do u see it panning out ladies?

I don't think Port could do much damage from fourth, haven't beaten a single top four side away. Freo have shown in last years finals they could, but if they lose to Port they aren't worthy of top four.

A battle of whoever makes up he numbers in the prelim.

No easy games in the AFL. There is no way freo will rest up against the Lions. A loss tomorrow makes 4th spot even harder. Need a massive % boost and then a win against Port.
Current form would take Port in as favorites next week....Thank God it is a home game...that may be the difference in what will be a cracker of a game.
Freo to beat Port by 4 points :)
In worse news....if we lose and things go well for the Eagles, could be a derby first final....I dont like that :(

I don't think Port could do much damage from fourth, haven't beaten a single top four side away. Freo have shown in last years finals they could, but if they lose to Port they aren't worthy of top four.

It is not 2013. Freo have not won away against a top 4 side this year.

With Fyfe and Barlow out and Freo coming back from a heavy track in Brisbane off a 6 day break, I am tipping Port by 3 goals.

Last edited:

They have only beaten Fremantle, Geelong and Hawthorn?

Stating the obvious, Barlow and Fyfe are massive outs. Big bodied midfielders who along with Mundy dominate centre clearances. I know Lyon's game plan can be more about process then personnel but they're a huge hole.

Tough to call, I'd have to see how the Freo / Brisbane game goes first.

Port to just squeak past, maybe.

It is not 2013. Freo have not won away against a top 4 side this year.

With Fyfe and Barlow out and Freo coming back from a heavy track in Brisbane off a 6 day break, I am tipping Port by 3 goals.
Freo didn't beat a single top side at all last year, and yet brought it to the finals.

Remains to be seen whether Port can, but they haven't shown it so far. I don't see them fronting up and beating Sydney in the first week. Nor do I see Freo doing it, but I think they're a better chance of doing so. Regardless, it's Sydney vs Hawthorn, with a slim outside chance of Geelong making it to be beaten by one of them.

Freo didn't beat a single top side at all last year, and yet brought it to the finals.

Remains to be seen whether Port can, but they haven't shown it so far. I don't see them fronting up and beating Sydney in the first week. Nor do I see Freo doing it, but I think they're a better chance of doing so. Regardless, it's Sydney vs Hawthorn, with a slim outside chance of Geelong making it to be beaten by one of them.
Only missed by a post when we play Sydney up there... we can give them a run away.

Only missed by a post when we play Sydney up there... we can give them a run away.
You won't. Neither will Freo.

Teams don't win premierships from fourth. And Sydney are the clear number 1 side this year. They'll only be challenged by the Hawks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port were a lot closer to beating Sydney in Sydney than Freo were in 2014 so that is the best form guide we have for 2014.

Port were a lot closer to beating Sydney in Sydney than Freo were in 2014 so that is the best form guide we have for 2014.
You can isolate a single year if you want. I don't really care. Neither Freo nor Port will beat Sydney. But Ross Lyon has a long history of showing he can challenge much better teams in finals.

You can isolate a single year if you want. I don't really care. Neither Freo nor Port will beat Sydney. But Ross Lyon has a long history of showing he can challenge much better teams in finals.
Yeah, and not beat them when it counts.

Port aint getting near Sydney or Hawthorn in finals. However they are a good chance v freo with no barlow or fyfe with 2 extra days rest on a ground that suits them very well.

clutching_at_straws.jpg

Yeah and Port weren't tipped to play finals this year too.

Who didn't tip Port to play finals this year? They played finals last year and won one??

Port and Freo lost games this year that they should have won and have now placed themselves in a disadvantaged position. They are a danger in finals but neither will win the flag.

I'm not clutching at straws. I'm basing my opinion on observation. You can talk about respective scorelines in the home and away season - that is meaningless. Like comparing Priddis's disposal numbers to Robbie Gray's

I have seen Ross Lyon come with specific game plans against much better sides in finals and win. I have not seen Hinkley do this, or Port.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back